Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
If ININ releases a version it will have fewer games on it.

I wish that SLG had an option to pay extra to have each of the 5 releases shipped as they become available instead of having to wait until the end.  I guess I'll end up just ordering them separately.

just got an order today in mail from LRG no email letting me know it was shipped
I also got an order in on Saturday and never received a shipping email, so this problem is still clearly not fixed. The longer it takes to fix the more of a headache it will be. Everyone should hopefully get emails after the fact letting them know what orders were shipped out (in case they were never delivered, delivered incorrectly, or stolen). What a mess.

I honestly thought that would be fixed by now after seeing people get their jedi CEs with emails, but it seems that was shipped under the old system. Kinda surprised there’s no public tweets/blog posts from them going “hey we’re transitioning to a new system and the following games may hit your doorstep without an email” and listing the recent stuff that’s gone out like that

So far I’ve spotted KOTOR II, Valis Collection II, Dodonpachi, Espgaluga II, and oceanhorn standards all doing that lately

EDIT: it seems they indeed did in their monthly update on friday. Sadly, no news on the KOTOR ultra CE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I certainly hope LRG has great record keeping on their end.

Less scrupulous types would see they got a game, no shipping confirmation, and no update to the online status and just call their financiers to cancel the purchase.

More so if they're not caring about burning a bridge.

Largest physical print distributor with the most hackjob distribution system.

Anyone tempted to order the Irem shooter collections from strictly limited games? If you order the box set, then it seems like you won’t get it until 2025 ! as much as LRG drives me nuts with their year long waits, at least they aren’t pulling this stunt.
If SRG is saying 2025, you won't get it until 2027. They are by far the worst limited print company on timeliness. We bitch about LRG but they got nothin on Strictly.

I'm shocked anyone would bother giving strictly limited money at this point. If you want one of thier games, just wait for Inin to sell it on Amazon

Going to try and beetlejuice Doug again...

Any word on a time table for the email notifications and tracking being fixed? People are still randomly getting packages with no notification emails or notifications in their accounts.

Seems the jedi ce's are being handled differently since people are getting emails for those, just nothing for standard editions.

Also with no tracking info being done at all they don't even show in the email notifications the post office will send (if you sign up for them) to let you know what mail and packages are coming in. Which if on your end they are putting tracking on things, then there's hundreds... thousands?.. in tracking fees that isn't actually being implemented.

I'm shocked anyone would bother giving strictly limited money at this point. If you want one of thier games, just wait for Inin to sell it on Amazon
The problem with this is the retail releases (like Amazon) leave out games in the collections. Like someone else suggested, wait until they're at VideoGamesPlus, because these (should be) the same releases from SLG's website.

Only about 15-20% of the games they publish end up also being published by Inin physically, and the LRG releases almost always include extra content (Wonder Boy Collection had 2 more games and multiple versions, Dariustburst is including CS and other game modes, Rayz Arcade includes Rayforce, etc.). Also this is a LRG thread, not a SLG thread. It does look like Inin is also picking up the IREM collection(s) though and those are likely to be identical. I don't see Inin publishing Snow Battle Princess Sayuki, Shinobi Non Grata, or Steel Empires Chronicles.

I'm excited to see what else gets released in the IREM collection.  Saw people on reddit complaining about the value, but the games from Vol. 1 would cost $200+ on eBay, combined, and you'd need the classic systems to play them on.  Would love to get Basebasell Ninja Bat Man, Gunforce 2, and Mystic Riders.  Not holding my breath for MR though since its only ever been releaeses in arcades.  Air Duel, Air Assault, and Lethal Thunder would be cool too.  Thinking Legend of Hero Tonma might be one of the platformers for that volume.

Going to try and beetlejuice Doug again...

Any word on a time table for the email notifications and tracking being fixed? People are still randomly getting packages with no notification emails or notifications in their accounts.

Seems the jedi ce's are being handled differently since people are getting emails for those, just nothing for standard editions.

Also with no tracking info being done at all they don't even show in the email notifications the post office will send (if you sign up for them) to let you know what mail and packages are coming in. Which if on your end they are putting tracking on things, then there's hundreds... thousands?.. in tracking fees that isn't actually being implemented.
As far as I've seen everyone still getting packages with no notification are part of the original batch that went out with the bug. The latest stuff to ship should all be fixed. But I'll keep checking!

Got an email showing Akai Katana Shin shadowdropped on their website, PS4/SW, via Clear River

With how Clear River took Deathsmiles and Snow Bros to retail I expect this to eventually do the same

Did anyone else get a random "new subscriber" email with a 10% off coupon from LRG? It says it's for first time purchases. I assume it will not be honored if I try to use it because my first purchase was Shantae in 2016. :rofl:

Did anyone else get a random "new subscriber" email with a 10% off coupon from LRG? It says it's for first time purchases. I assume it will not be honored if I try to use it because my first purchase was Shantae in 2016. :rofl:
I got a pop up for that and gave them my email, but they never sent me the discount.

So now we're digging up 6 year old Kickstarter games that already got a physical release?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spoonybardprod/eskimo-bob-for-the-nes/description

They were $45 CAD in 2017, therefore $53.80 CAD today (Source), or $39.52 USD today.  LRG is asking $60, or $20 more, even after inflation.

The two kickstarters got a total got 711 backers, assuming zero overlap.

Like, I really don't get it... who is this for, exactly?  There are a total of twelve reviews on Steam for the first game, and four for the second.  At least one of the reviews is from a friend of the developer...

So now we're digging up 6 year old Kickstarter games that already got a physical release?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spoonybardprod/eskimo-bob-for-the-nes/description

They were $45 CAD in 2017, therefore $53.80 CAD today (Source), or $39.52 USD today. LRG is asking $60, or $20 more, even after inflation.

The two kickstarters got a total got 711 backers, assuming zero overlap.

Like, I really don't get it... who is this for, exactly? There are a total of twelve reviews on Steam for the first game, and four for the second. At least one of the reviews is from a friend of the developer...
On that kickstarter the version that is $45 is a cart only version. If you scroll further down it was $55 for the version that came with a box and manual and $65 for the white cart version of one of the games. Yes, CAD.

I'm not saying it's a good or bad deal... the eskimo bob cart is also a different color. I'm not going to adjust $55cad for inflation and compare either... LRG has the games separately for $60 or $100 for a double pack (saving $20 over buying separate).

It doesn't seem that outlandish?

On that kickstarter the version that is $45 is a cart only version. If you scroll further down it was $55 for the version that came with a box and manual and $65 for the white cart version of one of the games. Yes, CAD.

I'm not saying it's a good or bad deal... the eskimo bob cart is also a different color. I'm not going to adjust $55cad for inflation and compare either... LRG has the games separately for $60 or $100 for a double pack (saving $20 over buying separate).

It does for a game with no meaningful market share, has already placated fans with physical releases, and once again evident of wastes opportunity spaces. And $55 CAD price adjusted for inflation and conversion is still over $10 more for nothing different besides cart color and artwork... for a potential max audience of around 800 people maybe.

My commentary is almost always from a "this is a dumb business decision" or "this is a wasted opportunity cost."

And spending $100 on a double pack for two aftermarket unofficial NES roms isn't what I called savings, knowing how dime a dozen these are elsewhere.

It's more commentary on LRG's (aka Doug's) statements on better releases. Him liking your comment is funny,... obviously watching the topics pretty hard in these places, liking anything possibly favorable and blocking all unfavorable. He'd be better off going to their subreddits and posting actual updates.

Reviews for both games are completely positive on steam with the second game being noted as a big improvement over the first and that supposedly they used some extra chips on the cart to pull some stuff off the nes cant do otherwise (which was a thing in the NES days too). I didn't know anything about these games until you linked the kickstarter as I don't follow the nes homebrew scene. There's a lot of crap out there to get bothered over, sure, but I don't see the harm here on two games I'd venture most don't know about and even if they did wouldn't back a kickstarter. They (LRG) manufacture to demand so it's not like this hurts the industry or causes some other game not to get a physical release (like the end of life for the vita). So what's the harm? At some point we have to stop defending the obsessive compulsive that buy every variant of everything ... even homebrew games. That's not to defend LRG, they are a company making products... my wallet is closed to most of what they do, but I see no harm in this. Shipping without tracking, that's worth this level of attention and scrutiny.

In my post all I pointed out was the price difference isn't as great as what you did the math to figure out. Especially now after covid when cart prices have pushed higher due to prices on chips exceeding inflation. Even Nintendo couldn't eat the difference and upped switch game prices despite sales being great and being able to buy in high volume to get the best price breaks on chips. Doug liking math doesn't seem like a big deal either.

Yeah I really don’t find it bad that obscurities are getting physicals. Especially if they’re done well. The Evercade nails that aspect especially, imo.

The main problem to focus on i argue are people on LRG’s subreddit who are upset/confused why stuff like tetris effect standards have gone 2 months without any sort of emails, or lack of info on oldass CEs like KOTOR Master or Axiom Verge. Having a generic robotic reply from the CM going “HELLO, THIS ITEM IS SLATED FOR Q2” makes even sony’s customer support look more competent… Interesting we’re being told stuff about improvements but why not those folk on the reddits, or the LRG discord who still actively buy from em

It definitely does, considering the amount of dreck, this included, that have been pumped out for NES homebrews. Not saying specifically LRG but everywhere. Everyone feels their half assed homebrew should be on a cart/should be compensated for coding a NES game as a hobby. LRG shouldn't encourage it. In this case, very much not encourage it when it has been released once already.

cut for brevity
As I've said, it's opportunity costs. With several hundred outstanding products, why invest the time your limited manpower team has in catering perhaps dozens of would be customers on a glorified homebrew cart?

This feels like a self serving release above all else, something someone at LRG wants, not something being asked for..

The top/first reply to the tweet is a status update on another game. There's zero commentary I can find in any LRG group or reddit on this.

Time was spent on this game versus ensuring others are delivered on time or an actual release folks would want.

I realize my points don't come across to most, but most don't understand business in production and manufacturing. Eating up your opportunity costs is a surefire example of a poorly run business; and yes, some businesses fail upwards as do people.

Doug liking commentary that's self serving is also pedantic, more to the point he blocks anyone/anything overtly critical on all social media. He really shouldn't be the one even attempting to message about his company or product. The fact no one is either pulling him in or replacing him is another example of poorly run business.

If they're big enough to be bought out by one of the largest game distributors to date, they're big enough to have a functioning PR department. And not having a C-suite person posting in official capacity on a backwater board, giving more meaningful updates (in a around about fashion) than actual large communities dedicated to their products and services.

I'm not mad, nor do I really care; I find this stuff fascinating since it is so rare a C-suite person is interacting like this. I love toasting marshmallows over dumpster fire, as it were.

Aside, given LRGs size, they likely banked with a regional level bank (most small to medium businesses do so); has LRG been impacted by the fall of FRB or the downturn of several others

Doug, is there any work being done on shortening production durations? I know that's not as much up to the publisher, and larger publishers with larger production runs probably have priority after factories, but after shipping, production times would be great to cut down on if possible.

Doug, is there any work being done on shortening production durations? I know that's not as much up to the publisher, and larger publishers with larger production runs probably have priority after factories, but after shipping, production times would be great to cut down on if possible.
Yes, we are starting pre-production on a lot of stuff sooner than before. We are also trying to order other components based on forecasts ahead of time. Nothing is allowed to go on sale now unless pre-production is done outside of a few random projects where maybe the IP is owned by a larger corporation who may randomly change their mind on something or be late on approvals.

As far as the Eskimo Bob releases, we are just selling them for another company basically. They had these releases planned and asked for us to sell them and provide a little support. I'm also a fan of the series. We release stuff all the time we ourselves are fans of. Doing these games doesn't impact anything else we have planned or in the pipeline.

I'm also a fan of the series. We release stuff all the time we ourselves are fans of. Doing these games doesn't impact anything else we have planned or in the pipeline.
Called it.

And I highly doubt it, if it's at all going through LRGs manufacturing, warehouses, or other channels, that is has zero impact.

That either means you have gaps in your schedule, meaning a poorly run schedule, or you're just not worried (because it's hard to make them worse right now, to be fair).

The game(s) already had a physical release, so why not some other title(s) that don't have one yet? Guess they'll reprint others games, just not their own?

I'd love to see how many are actually sold.

As I've said, it's opportunity costs. With several hundred outstanding products, why invest the time your limited manpower team has in catering perhaps dozens of would be customers on a glorified homebrew cart?

This feels like a self serving release above all else, something someone at LRG wants, not something being asked for..

The top/first reply to the tweet is a status update on another game. There's zero commentary I can find in any LRG group or reddit on this.

Time was spent on this game versus ensuring others are delivered on time or an actual release folks would want.

I realize my points don't come across to most, but most don't understand business in production and manufacturing. Eating up your opportunity costs is a surefire example of a poorly run business; and yes, some businesses fail upwards as do people.

Doug liking commentary that's self serving is also pedantic, more to the point he blocks anyone/anything overtly critical on all social media. He really shouldn't be the one even attempting to message about his company or product. The fact no one is either pulling him in or replacing him is another example of poorly run business.

If they're big enough to be bought out by one of the largest game distributors to date, they're big enough to have a functioning PR department. And not having a C-suite person posting in official capacity on a backwater board, giving more meaningful updates (in a around about fashion) than actual large communities dedicated to their products and services.

I'm not mad, nor do I really care; I find this stuff fascinating since it is so rare a C-suite person is interacting like this. I love toasting marshmallows over dumpster fire, as it were.

Aside, given LRGs size, they likely banked with a regional level bank (most small to medium businesses do so); has LRG been impacted by the fall of FRB or the downturn of several others
I think the reality is that you are incredibly rigid in your beliefs about how a business should be run based on your very narrow personal and professional experiences. As others have pointed out, there is not just one way to do things and there are many, many ways to run a successful business. What you see as opportunity cost could be seen as fan service or perhaps a passion project for the leadership of the company. This isn't a company that manufactures widgets and has to necessarily squeeze every drop of profit out of every release. If you know anything about the leadership of the company that acquired LRG, you'd understand that they are not necessarily focused on just the bottom line as they are literally building a museum like depository of video games at their corporate HQ in Europe.

I am curious as to why you are so concerned about which bank LRG uses. As far as I know, not a single business customer of any of the failed banks lost even a penny and most were able to access their accounts within a couple of days of the shutdown.

-banking-
I feel kind of icky even saying this but if I were LRG and located where they are I'd probably bank with someone a lot larger than the banks that have failed like PNC that has local offices. Given their size, I'd imagine they could even use a couple different banks like where I work.

I doubt they've been impacted by all the out of state smaller bank failures and like bojay said even if they were it would have been for a few days at most.

Yes, we are starting pre-production on a lot of stuff sooner than before. We are also trying to order other components based on forecasts ahead of time. Nothing is allowed to go on sale now unless pre-production is done outside of a few random projects where maybe the IP is owned by a larger corporation who may randomly change their mind on something or be late on approvals.
That is good to hear. Some of the production times just seem way too long, Covid reasons still or not. I know most limited/specialty publishers also have long wait times for production, but having a game stuck in "in production" status for 7-12 months (or longer) after it was available for order is kind of crazy.

fuck another one!!!!

it just never stops, does it
Back to the dull EXE Create stuff after the high of justice chronicle. And the PS4 version of that is still in stock meaning it didnt even hit MOQ in a month.

Legitimately do not get why they don’t just print the MOQ for these kemco games and have em on hand when they sell it: least they’d be able to ship them out faster that way

Legitimately do not get why they don’t just print the MOQ for these kemco games and have em on hand when they sell it: least they’d be able to ship them out faster that way
Probably a combo of reasons like the Publisher only agrees to do it this way and locked these deals in long enough ago that they have to complete the contract.

MOQ and the old Vita style limited time batches would probably move these better than preorder.

Probably a combo of reasons like the Publisher only agrees to do it this way and locked these deals in long enough ago that they have to complete the contract.

MOQ and the old Vita style limited time batches would probably move these better than preorder.
They did that for PS4 justice chronicle, and it didn’t sell out. Even though the game is pretty good. Bluntly, I feel most buying it now at this point are those in it for the collection, since it not being in-hand would just make it only a game collectors want and anyone interested in the actual game to get it much cheaper digitally, due to that MSRP hike. If it was $25 it would have likely sold out by now

I feel kind of icky even saying this but if I were LRG and located where they are I'd probably bank with someone a lot larger than the banks that have failed like PNC that has local offices. Given their size, I'd imagine they could even use a couple different banks like where I work.

I doubt they've been impacted by all the out of state smaller bank failures and like bojay said even if they were it would have been for a few days at most.
Nah I think we panicked but we checked and we use a major bank that wasn't affected.

bread's done
Back