Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
I'm more interested learning out the technology from more independent persons, once they get their hands on the actual end product. Right now, it's all marketing- we've seen games that the engine is supposed to emulate (could be real, could be "target footage" or some shit) and the persons involved are saying it'll work so well...

I'm skeptical of it all for anything beyond 2D games, is all I'm saying.
I would question if MVG didn't use code from open source emulators, he's not the god of coding people think he is. But the software itself just seems to be emulators with retro achievements integrated within. Saturn emulation is actually pretty good now but there's no way MVG is doing it without looking at existing code

I would question if MVG didn't use code from open source emulators, he's not the god of coding people think he is. But the software itself just seems to be emulators with retro achievements integrated within. Saturn emulation is actually pretty good now but there's no way MVG is doing it without looking at existing code
I think all emulators should be FOSS and older games without active license utilization after a very short period (in comparison to now) of time should be fair game.

As long as they're not profiting from someone else's work who isnts adequately reimbursed, I don't see a big problem.

My guess is the carbine engine is simply a bit of custom code that marries existing (but tweaked) emulators, roms, music players, and so on such that they can do a custom compiling project for a rom such that only the needed parts are included in the final product.  That's how I'd handle it if I were to develop something similar.  So it would have a custom menu with whatever features, assets, and content that was included in the compiling but the main emulation is at the core some open source content.  The achievement system would look at the emulators memory locations to trigger and track them.  So likely for PS stuff... this would probably have been ripped from existing games that Mighty Rabbit did.  Switch doesn't need to report achievements... so those would be simply a static checklist.

I'd imagine at some point someone will dig into it and see if any of the obvious identifiers for which emulators were picked apart for this.  One of MVG's achievements was working on FinalBurn Alpha for the original XBox... but if they are smart they aren't doing anything in the same way as that since you don't need every emulator in the final compiled program if it's just a GB or GBC game.  So no point in being that lazy when you can make everything components and just include what is actually needed with a configuration file.

My guess is the carbine engine is simply a bit of custom code that marries existing (but tweaked) emulators, roms, music players, and so on such that they can do a custom compiling project for a rom such that only the needed parts are included in the final product. That's how I'd handle it if I were to develop something similar. So it would have a custom menu with whatever features, assets, and content that was included in the compiling but the main emulation is at the core some open source content. The achievement system would look at the emulators memory locations to trigger and track them. So likely for PS stuff... this would probably have been ripped from existing games that Mighty Rabbit did. Switch doesn't need to report achievements... so those would be simply a static checklist.

I'd imagine at some point someone will dig into it and see if any of the obvious identifiers for which emulators were picked apart for this. One of MVG's achievements was working on FinalBurn Alpha for the original XBox... but if they are smart they aren't doing anything in the same way as that since you don't need every emulator in the final compiled program if it's just a GB or GBC game. So no point in being that lazy when you can make everything components and just include what is actually needed with a configuration file.
thats my guess too. No need to reinvent the wheel and throw millions of dollars to create something from the ground up, when you can start with an existing emulators and build upon that. The CE is probably some overlay on top that allows tweaking of the emulator, as well as adding features and content around it.

Hm. Best Buy picked up the previous Castlevania collections from LRG and has the Contra collection still available for preorder. I wonder if they or Amazon will carry the Advance collection.

Of course you can... along with the game. $35 each.
Plus Route™ Insurance*
Plus Shipping and Handling
Allow 4 to 64 months to arrive

*We don't care about the little dent on the corner or crinkle of the shrink wrap. You nerd**.
**Touch Grass***
***Grass extra

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugghh, I hate to admit it but they probably have me with Castlevania.  Even though I already have & played the hell out of it digitally, it's one of the series I'm just a sucker for.  At least I can stave off any temptation of a overprice CE.

still cool they’re taking on several+ TMNT vinyl before finishing their older ones like valis… i hoped with bravewave taking a break LRG would too but i guess it didnt last long.

Ugghh, I hate to admit it but they probably have me with Castlevania. Even though I already have & played the hell out of it digitally, it's one of the series I'm just a sucker for. At least I can stave off any temptation of a overprice CE.
Honestly, me too. To me, the SNES was Nintendo's greatest consoles and the GBA is their greatest handheld, and the Castlevania games were some of the best on a system full of some amazing games.

Wish they'd stop doing these PS5 only releases for games that don't need to be played on a PS5.  Just built a gaming PC and was planning to get rid of my PS5 after I finish a few PS exclusives.

My last order arrived with a "Thank you for being rad!" postcard that has a 5% off coupon. Tried the coupon today, and it failed. I submitted a ticket. We'll see how long this takes.

My last order arrived with a "Thank you for being rad!" postcard that has a 5% off coupon. Tried the coupon today, and it failed. I submitted a ticket. We'll see how long this takes.
LMAO, i just got one too but i havent tried mines yet. Somehow i feel im gonna end up disappointed just like you

It probably took them so long to ship your package that the coupon expired.

I have used 3 of the 5% off coupons so far and they all have worked fine.  The only thing I can think of is just double check you entered the code correctly, since the font they used is kind of small, and it includes weird symbols like < that I have never seen used in coupon codes before.

I have used 3 of the 5% off coupons so far and they all have worked fine. The only thing I can think of is just double check you entered the code correctly, since the font they used is kind of small, and it includes weird symbols like &lt; that I have never seen used in coupon codes before.
Some people have reported that the codes seem to work better on certain browsers. Apparently Chrome is the most likely browser to have issues with the codes.

Another thing I've seen reported about the coupons is that people are trying to use them on the Shop App and they don't work. They only work on the LRG web site itself. Also, you'll have better luck if you go through the standard checkout rather than the express checkout methods.

I got my order Moon and Ocean's Heart but once again I am missing the trading cards. I still haven't gotten my Ara Fell and Rise of the Third Power trading card from a month ago either. You think that these would be easier to print and get than the production of a whole Switch cartridge.

I got my order Moon and Ocean's Heart but once again I am missing the trading cards. I still haven't gotten my Ara Fell and Rise of the Third Power trading card from a month ago either. You think that these would be easier to print and get than the production of a whole Switch cartridge.
Weren’t those all distro games? I know moon was. They never had cards to begin with.

…except tmnt oddly enough which throws all that into question. Oh well, least the card nonsense is coming to an end

I thought they did away with trading cards for the most part because the company that was handling them sold their equipment or something to another company that makes pokemon cards (or something along those lines)?

I thought they did away with trading cards for the most part because the company that was handling them sold their equipment or something to another company that makes pokemon cards (or something along those lines)?
Yup!

After much deliberation, we have decided that our numbered Limited Run releases will no longer include a free trading card. This is not something we take lightly, but it is a necessary step we must take to increase our fulfillment speed. Before the COVID-19 pandemic, trading cards could be manufactured in weeks. However, a boom in demand for trading cards from new collectors caused printers to be pushed to their capacity. As a result of this increased demand, our card manufacturer was purchased by the Pokemon Company, pushing us to locate new suppliers. Because of this, trading card runs can now take 3 to 5 months to complete.

As our production time for Standard Edition games has sped up, we have seen a new problem. Many of our Standard Edition games now arrive before the cards have been printed. They may sit in our warehouse for weeks while waiting on cards. We don't feel this is acceptable. Our customers and fans deserve their games when they are complete.

Any Limited Run numbered release that opened pre-orders before April 1st, 2023 will still come with cards as promised. No existing orders made before that date will be impacted!

I have used 3 of the 5% off coupons so far and they all have worked fine. The only thing I can think of is just double check you entered the code correctly, since the font they used is kind of small, and it includes weird symbols like &lt; that I have never seen used in coupon codes before.
You did type in the "&lt;" symbol, right? What OS and browser works for you?

Support replied with:

"I hope this email finds you well! We do apologize for the delayed response and as we are working through a high volume of support tickets at this time.

I'm sorry to read you're having trouble with the coupon code. Please note that the coupons will not function if the Shop App is being used to check out. Please try the following steps and try placing an order once again:

1. Clear your cache and browser data
  2. Try purchasing in Incognito mode and log into your account to input the coupon in the appropriate field
  3. If the issue persists, try purchasing on another browser and log into your account and input the coupon in the appropriate field
  4. Try another device, such as a desktop if available
Those 5% discount codes do not expire and should be able to be used on your next check out."

The reply is too late as the item I wanted went out of sale Sunday. Guess I'll have to try again when something else I want comes along but start early in the pre-order window so I can contact support. Then maybe they'll have time to reply. :wall:

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1683940689506074625?t=F26-FsJCJFuHINhJ0qit4g&s=19

Collector's Edition + merch inbound.  Most likely there will be a way to obtain all covers.

Merch line yay...
I think with Konami's desire to milk their beloved franchises and LRG's love to milk anything, this is gonna result in a lot of junk. I'm betting there'll be Castlevania stickers... $5.99 per letter.

I've cut down drastically on purchases from them the last couple of years but I will definitely be buying the Castlevania Advance Collection and El Shaddai Ascension of the Metatron standard releases. I just wish I knew when they are planning to put El Shaddai preorder up. I would love to pair it with Castlevania Advance Collection.

Don’t they mean their website and their partner stores for their releases?  Feels like LRG is still trying to trick people into FOMO.  VGP calls themselves the master Canadian distribution partner for LRG so I’m sure they are getting the numbered releases.  

I never cared at all about numbered releases. I wasn't fool enough to buy into that.

My Axiom Verge 1 &amp; 2 CE arrived today. Guess I'll need to find something else to complain about lol
I've learned through the years that you don't need to have pending orders to complain about things at LRG.

Yeah with VGP I dont see the loss of best buy as too tragic tbh. It was always bumpy with em.

Having checked a recent item for a friend however, I did notice that finally, after like, 16+ months (Feb 2022, when the new site hit) that the inventory management javascript trick got fixed. Sales numbers are replaced by a Null value now. Took them so long to do a simple fix to hide a field value that I learned in college. Lord.

Ngl i think it was me last year who went “oh dragon lapis? That’s the ok sequel to the surprisingly good dragon sinker” and I had ZERO idea this even existed or came out: i get emails from Kemco PR anytime they release a new title but i’ve neglected to read a lot of em due to me focusing on my older titles due in my queue first, now that life isnt in the way

Super stunned they havent at least tried to reissue Sword of Hope II on Game Boy cart or do something with their back catalog (though anything Kemco made with Seika is off limits, they still have a few things they own like SOHII)

If you get LRG’s emails, the images in the email they just sent shows what comes in the Deluxe & Ultimate Editions of Castlevania Advance. The Ultimate is basically another version of the original collection box that lights up & plays a tune.

not to mention full vinyl OSTs for all 3 games: pretty wild and at least means CV music will keep getting pressed despite the Mondo situation with their buyout.

Expect those in 2025 per usual LRG vinyl waits though

bread's done
Back