Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Ah shit, I have a PSP copy that I've been meaning to sell... welp, there goes that train.

Regardless, anyone else find this... worrying?

Atlus/Sega are more than capable of doing this themselves but they decided to outsource this to LRG... makes me thing that they (Atlus/Sega) see this is a more profitable venture than doing the releases themselves. I think the last two major Atlus CEs were both duds in terms of sales (Soul Hackers 2 I think had a promo for free shipping and P5R One More was a store exclusive before making its way to other retailers).

If this works out better for them and doing their own physical release, I shudder to think that more publishers will look to LRG to publish their games are over-priced amounts and sitting year+ for delivery.
This shouldn't surprise us. All you need to do is look at the bluray film industry to see where physical games are going.

LRG is probably Kino Lorber, which publishes Disney/Fox films because Disney/Fox can't be bothered with it anymore.

I'd expect more and more catalog games from publishers to come out from LRG. That said, I don't think we're quite there with AAA games going through a mid/small publisher, but like the movie streaming world, games are similarly at the stage where big guns are foregoing physical releases (Alan Wake 2 and the next Super Princess Peach) entirely.

As for this P3P release, as I've said before, not preordering. May be I pick it up down the road but I'm happy to grab it from Amazon or ebay. And if I can't, oh well. So little that LRG does now is anything I care much about - and never worth the hassle.

Last edited by a moderator:
An unreleased GBA game (or GBA variant of a GBC game) is at least novel. It's not my thing, but admittedly cool.

This is the last generation for physical games, ain't it? It's dying hard, though, since my PS4/SWITCH collections are 100+, each with zero overlap.

This is the last generation for physical games, ain't it? It's dying hard, though, since my PS4/SWITCH collections are 100+, each with zero overlap.
Yeah, I think it is. Honestly, it came faster than I thought. Microsoft always seemed intent on taking the industry down this road (and may be it was inevitable but those leaks show Phil is definitely no good steward for this industry - I don't want Xbox to die, but I would certainly welcome a more creative oriented company to come in and swallow that third competitor).

Most of us knew well the writing on this wall, but the horizon felt a little farther away. Now that it's pretty much staring us in the face, it's sorta sad.

Looks like PS5 and may be Switch 2 (though by then I'm expecting a lot of digital releases over carts) are it for me.

If Switch 2 has a card slot (and I think it will), companies like Limited Run Games are going to feast.
The only bad part about all this is that prices are bound to get only higher. You think that Switch premium is funny now. Just wait.

Very likely I'm probably getting priced out soon. I'm sure LRG and others will eventually not even offer standard releases. It'll be CE or nothing.

The only bad part about all this is that prices are bound to get only higher. You think that Switch premium is funny now. Just wait.

Very likely I'm probably getting priced out soon. I'm sure LRG and others will eventually not even offer standard releases. It'll be CE or nothing.
The margin on those CEs is high. Given minimum counts, and the small(er) market for physical products, expect to pay premiums to make up for volume reductions.

Funny enough, that will mean they actually print less total games and cannot make those smaller titles, there reason to be as it were, infeasible to publish.

I would say our remaining hope is SEA countries, with limited broadband, that will require disc based games.

As Gen Z gets old enough to have kids (time flies...), being entirely raised on digital content, there will be zero need to have boxes on shelves as a thing.

Yeah, I think it is. Honestly, it came faster than I thought. Microsoft always seemed intent on taking the industry down this road (and may be it was inevitable but those leaks show Phil is definitely no good steward for this industry - I don't want Xbox to die, but I would certainly welcome a more creative oriented company to come in and swallow that third competitor).

Most of us knew well the writing on this wall, but the horizon felt a little farther away. Now that it's pretty much staring us in the face, it's sorta sad.

Looks like PS5 and may be Switch 2 (though by then I'm expecting a lot of digital releases over carts) are it for me.
If there’s one that is least likely to go all digital, it’s Nintendo. They know where their bread is buttered.

But honestly, as much of a Nintendo fanboy as I am, I’ll easily walk away if they go digital only. I’ve already completely bowed out from Xbox at this point and sold my Series X after they’ve effectively forced digital only with their glorified discs as download keys release approach.

And don’t even get me started on the slow march toward subscription-based gaming and what a debacle I can see that becoming.

If there’s one that is least likely to go all digital, it’s Nintendo. They know where their bread is buttered.

But honestly, as much of a Nintendo fanboy as I am, I’ll easily walk away if they go digital only. I’ve already completely bowed out from Xbox at this point and sold my Series X after they’ve effectively forced digital only with their glorified discs as download keys release approach.

And don’t even get me started on the slow march toward subscription-based gaming and what a debacle I can see that becoming.
You and me both. The future of the gaming industry doesn't look great. There's a reckoning coming with MS and Sony going too all-in on trying to find the "next" Fortnite.

May be the industry is due for an Atari-like crash reset.

Nintendo is the last light in this growing dumpster fire, but even they seem to be falling into the digital only releases with Super Princess Peach and Mario vs. Dk ...

I never got a Switch. At this point, I'm waiting to learn more about Switch 2.

I would say our remaining hope is SEA countries, with limited broadband, that will require disc based games.
Agreed. It really is crazy because I'm convinced at this point that MS and Sony have crunched the math and have decided that forgoing the bad internet customers is worth it to cater to the whales and persistent online players.

Sony seems determined to pump out live service game after live service game, and MS is all-in on Gamepass (and that unsustainable model - Sacred Symbols just did an excellent podcast breaking down the screwy economics of Phil's busted logic), so it's clear these guys don't much care whether millions don't have the internet to play them.

Nintendo is the last light in this growing dumpster fire, but even they seem to be falling into the digital only releases with Super Princess Peach and Mario vs. Dk ...
What are you talking about? Both of those games are available for physical preorder at multiple stores (Best buy, Target, Amazon, GameStop, etc)

You and me both. The future of the gaming industry doesn't look great. There's a reckoning coming with MS and Sony going too all-in on trying to find the "next" Fortnite.

May be the industry is due for an Atari-like crash reset.

I never got a Switch. At this point, I'm waiting to learn more about Switch 2.
The peach game and Mario vs donkey have physical copies what are you on about lad???

_GIV0g.gif
My orders from 2022 will be fulfilled and delivered in 2024?

Persona 3 & 4 Portables is really the big deal that LRG has been hyping for months? I mean, I guess it's a win for them... After all, I was expecting something like a remaster of "Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch: Make My Video", given their love for bad Sega CD FMV games, so kudos for Persona instead. But still gets a meh from me. *Shrugs*
Personally I was still hoping for Slam City with Scottie Pippen but that's just me lol

P.S. Supreme Warrior would also been acceptable.

People have been decrying "the death of physical media / video games" for over a decade.  It doesn't make you sound smart. 

When there are no physical options available then people stop paying money for new games.  Look right to PC.  How many people spending $59.99, no $69.99 on any of those digital games?  People will buy Baldur's Gate or a Spider-Man but almost nothing else outside of service games.  They can hardly even sell Final Fantasy or any of the other B+ or "AA" games there.  Customers hesitate to even buy things at -50% off because it could be greater.  Or bundled. 

If the console makers want to head that route then they are going to be sorely disappointed.  People will stop buying all but their main games.  Then sales suffer even more because you have no retail or real world marketing presence. 

Nintendo isn't going that route and I don't think Sony is that dumb either, considering sales numbers on their first party games. 

An unreleased GBA game (or GBA variant of a GBC game) is at least novel. It's not my thing, but admittedly cool.

If this is how the physical game generation ends, then let it be known that I died... likely waiting for all my LRG orders to ship.

Comparing Final Fantasy is a bit of a non-starter, since Square did a bonehead and went to Epic first.

In reality, plenty of PC games still sell a ton day one, Starfield is a great example; how many paid to play it three days early?  Around 200k roughly.  And that's not including later sales.

Digital doesn't lower sales volume, that's quite obvious.  It does lower distribution cost greatly, but line must go up, so prices don't go down.

Lies of P, an arguably $60 AA title, came out and debuted in the Steam Top 10 list on release. 

Plus, we've known for ages that the predominance of game revenues come digitally, something like 70-90%+ now depending on platform.  More so since that over half the industry will never have physical media, aka mobile titles.  The lines are being blurred between what's a free to play and AAA titles with stuff like Genshin on the scene (and raking in the cash).

I think saying people only buy this or that using a CAG perspective is inaccurate.  Subscription services are likely taking this biggest bite out of sales.

To see where we're heading, video raked in around $50B in subs, ad-supported and sales of digital media... physical was $2.1B.

And for games, it's going to be a bit worse since you need the dedicated device(s).  Think about it, freemium games have shown you can have one account and play on any hardware, whereas if you buy COD for the PS5, you cannot then play it on your PC or Xbox.  (I've always argued that games should be sold as one license and accessible on any hardware, but walled gardens gotta wall -- playing Honkai Star Rail on my PC and Phone seemlessly is legit AF)

Lastly, it isn't like there isn't years worth of data showing that the end of physical games as anything but niche product....

It's a known issue and will happen, but like all thing in prediction, the specifics won't be known until it's known.

Thank you for reading my TED talk.

People have been decrying "the death of physical media / video games" for over a decade. It doesn't make you sound smart.

When there are no physical options available then people stop paying money for new games. Look right to PC. How many people spending $59.99, no $69.99 on any of those digital games? People will buy Baldur's Gate or a Spider-Man but almost nothing else outside of service games. They can hardly even sell Final Fantasy or any of the other B+ or "AA" games there. Customers hesitate to even buy things at -50% off because it could be greater. Or bundled.

If the console makers want to head that route then they are going to be sorely disappointed. People will stop buying all but their main games. Then sales suffer even more because you have no retail or real world marketing presence.

Nintendo isn't going that route and I don't think Sony is that dumb either, considering sales numbers on their first party games.
I agree. There is no reason to buy Day 1 digital. I will be waiting till games go down to a few dollars or be part of a bundle. And even then, it will depend if those digital games will require online just to play them, or worse yet, its TOS is up to lets say 10yrs before you have to "renew" the game to keep it in your catalog

As for Xbox, Playstation and Nintendo, I think Xbox will go all digital first, then Playstation, and finally Nintendo by 2030 when the Switch 2 successor(Switch 3) is released

If P3P and P4G come to Amazon, Best Buy or VGP I'll consider them, but I'm not ordering direct from LRG again.

Also digital games on multiple PC stores is awesome. Big games get pre-order discounts and most games get launch discounts. So many stores have deals, so unless it's only on one store like Diablo or Steam you can shop around. Also the bundles are great and even newer games sometimes get bundled or discounted like in the Fanatical Platinum bundles.

I guess with LRG getting access from SEGA to Persona 3 and Persona 4. As well as with the 2 Jurassic Park games from the Genesis. Means they probably have access to all the SEGA legacy catalog. 

What are you talking about? Both of those games are available for physical preorder at multiple stores (Best buy, Target, Amazon, GameStop, etc)
The peach game and Mario vs donkey have physical copies what are you on about lad???
My bad - I stand corrected. I thought I had heard Nintendo was doing digital only of those games from one of the podcasts I'd listened to, but glad to hear they're not :) Yay!

Some Dreamcast ports could be interesting, but I feel like SEGA has already ported all their low hanging fruit a dozen times.

What's the odds we see either an ironic or unironic release of Sega Bass Fishing for the Switch?

Some Dreamcast ports could be interesting, but I feel like SEGA has already ported all their low hanging fruit a dozen times.

What's the odds we see either an ironic or unironic release of Sega Bass Fishing for the Switch?
What about skies of Arcadia? Last I recall it still hasn't been ported since the Gamecube.

Then sales suffer even more because you have no retail or real world marketing presence.
I think this was a big part of what happened with the Vita. Not enough retail space to build customer confidence as so much of the content was pushed digitally.

I think we are fine for at least one more generation of physical (at least for Nintendo). Probably after that I'm not going to care as much about physical games and will just retire to playing what I own and emulating older stuff that maybe I want to revisit.

Right now Carbon Engine doesn't even support Sega Saturn.  If they can sort that out there are some good Saturn games they can port.

I dunno I think it'd ironically run better on switch but not well on Sony systems going by past gc to Sony ports like symphonia.
I think I remember reading years back, when the NS was still new, that the Nvidia chips and whatever they use, was specifically designed to be easy to port things to because the chip was originally designed for Android devices... so that way, devs could take existing console or iOS games and have lots of tools to port games over to Android devices. Not sure if true or if I'm mis-remembering but might explain why the Switch has so many damn ports and how some of them are even possible (Doom, Witcher 3, etc.) when they seemingly should not be possible.

That game just came out, it's got middling reviews, and to call it "Mario RPG at home," would be a compliment.

There's a free demo on Steam.

It's not good and certainly not a recent indie release that I would call needed an immediate physical.

Can we change the thread title to "Limited Also-Ran Games" please?

I dunno I think it'd ironically run better on switch but not well on Sony systems going by past gc to Sony ports like symphonia.
The Switch version of Symphonia runs way worst than the PS4 version. It's actually worst than the PS3 version with all the new glitches and technical problems.

The GameCube was actually more powerful than the PS2, if you're talking about the original release. But really, the main issue is that developers optimize a game for a primary platform, and then usually severely underestimate how much time and effort needs to go into porting it to a different platform, so then that platform gets screwed. Even games with a simultaneous multi-platform release are in fact developed heavily on a single platform, while the "B-Team" are put in charge of the other platforms and fixing the performance issues there.

But in other news, rejoice Kemco fans! Looks like they're releasing another 4-pack collection in Asia: https://www.play-asia.com/kemco-rpg-selection-vol-11/13/70giux

So if anyone was afraid that they were about to run out of games to publish, fear no more! Good chance all of these are coming to LRG. Individually, of course. In case your wallet was getting too heavy.

The GameCube was actually more powerful than the PS2, if you're talking about the original release. But really, the main issue is that developers optimize a game for a primary platform, and then usually severely underestimate how much time and effort needs to go into porting it to a different platform, so then that platform gets screwed. Even games with a simultaneous multi-platform release are in fact developed heavily on a single platform, while the "B-Team" are put in charge of the other platforms and fixing the performance issues there.

But in other news, rejoice Kemco fans! Looks like they're releasing another 4-pack collection in Asia: https://www.play-asia.com/kemco-rpg-selection-vol-11/13/70giux

So if anyone was afraid that they were about to run out of games to publish, fear no more! Good chance all of these are coming to LRG. Individually, of course. In case your wallet was getting too heavy.
For sure. Not disputing the originals. Just talking about ports for the last gen consoles. Just realistic expectations for a hypothetical Skies Arcadia "remaster."

The GameCube was actually more powerful than the PS2
Anyone remember how beautiful Soul Calibur 2 was on the Gamecube? That game still looks amazing today. Years later, after finally getting a PS2 and Xbox 360 (only had Nintendo systems growing up), I picked up those console's versions of SCII and couldn't believe how much worse it looked on PS2 compared to Gamecube. And the Xbox version had button lag. So when people used to say Gamecube had the best version of SCII, they weren't kidding.

The Switch version of Symphonia runs way worst than the PS4 version. It's actually worst than the PS3 version with all the new glitches and technical problems.
the switch version is the ps2 version ported to ps3 then pc and not the original Gamecube version. So of course it runs like crap. It's not the Nintendo Gamecube version but the crappy ps2 version no one asked for. but they keep porting since they supposedly lost the Gamecube source code.

Which is bull as how anyone would lose source code for one of their best selling games? Pretty sure it was one of the first to break a million in world wide sales with it selling more in na than Japan.

They did patch it since released for the switch version. Though I don't know if they fixed much.

bread's done
Back