Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
GC was a pretty amazing system. That's one I'll hold onto including my flock of wavebirds. Love that controller.
Gamecube will always be one of my favorite consoles. When I was purging my video game collection, I only sold a handful of GC games and actually bought a few more with my profit lol so many classic games, and the graphics really hold up. I have a component cable for my Wii hooked into my 55 inch 4k TV and it's surprising how good GC games look with that setup. Oh, and the Gameboy Player! I played Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 recently with just the stock composite cable for the GC, with the same 4k TV, and it actually looked pretty darn good. That could also mean I have a good TV, but either way, the GC rocks.

the switch version is the ps2 version ported to ps3 then pc and not the original Gamecube version. So of course it runs like crap. It's not the Nintendo Gamecube version but the crappy ps2 version no one asked for. but they keep porting since they supposedly lost the Gamecube source code.

Which is bull as how anyone would lose source code for one of their best selling games? Pretty sure it was one of the first to break a million in world wide sales with it selling more in na than Japan.
Has that rumor of the GC source code being lost actually been proven? Neither Namco or Tales team stated that. I thought they ported the PS2 version because it was basically the complete version with the extra content.

giphy.gif

I own a Panasonic Q.

It's got twice the handles, technically.

GameCube is rad, I just wish it got more love. Nintendo doing their own crap didn't seem to really work until the Switch...

I find it pretty funny how Gamecube is so beloved today. It fell like a thud during that generation and Nintendo couldn't give it away a few years after launching it. We were packing pretty much every game we could with it to sell it. I remember when the sales numbers were so bad compared to the GBA and DS that we basically had our brochures go from being 80/20 Gamecube/handheld to 20/80 with very little GCN promotion.

I loved the entire Nintendo ecosystem when the GC was around. I jumped ship on the Wii because I didn't like the gimmicky motion controls (and got a 360 because that's what my friends had). It's ironic that my experience was the inverse of the industry, but being in middle/high school during that era I wasn't paying any attention to what was going on. Probably a byproduct of my age, but stuff like TTYD, Fire Emblem, and Pokemon Colosseum was more than enough to sustain me when I could only afford a few games a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nintendo tried competing with the big boys during the GameCube era and it failed. Then they went the opposite direction with Wii and was a huge success. Wii U, their first system in HD, failed because people were stupid in thinking it was another Wii. Back to the drawing board with Switch, marketing it as a handheld like the successful GBA, DS and 3DS before it. Selling like hotcakes. Nintendo better be careful with what they do with their next system.

I find it pretty funny how Gamecube is so beloved today. It fell like a thud during that generation and Nintendo couldn't give it away a few years after launching it. We were packing pretty much every game we could with it to sell it. I remember when the sales numbers were so bad compared to the GBA and DS that we basically had our brochures go from being 80/20 Gamecube/handheld to 20/80 with very little GCN promotion.
Its almost like using a mini disc that didn't have the same capabilities as the other companies who embraced technology blew up in thier face or something!

Its almost like using a mini disc that didn't have the same capabilities as the other companies who embraced technology blew up in thier face or something!
The minidisc loaded games faster at the sacrifice of storage space. This was a decent step up in storage from the N64 cartridges without the slow loading of playstation systems. So while it didn't have the same storage capabilities as regular DVD's... it came with it's own benefits. Which is really evident if you ever play both the gc and ps2 version of a game. Plus the gc had better processors. Of course the best version of games at this time was probably the xbox version as that was some beefy hardware.

The minidisc loaded games faster at the sacrifice of storage space. This was a decent step up in storage from the N64 cartridges without the slow loading of playstation systems. So while it didn't have the same storage capabilities as regular DVD's... it came with it's own benefits. Which is really evident if you ever play both the gc and ps2 version of a game. Plus the gc had better processors. Of course the best version of games at this time was probably the xbox version as that was some beefy hardware.
GC was definitely the last Nintendo system I loved unconditionally and loved the PS2 for the sheer variety of games. But I never had an OG Xbox back in the day, only played my brother's for a few times. I picked up an OG Xbox earlier in the summer and it's insane how advanced that system was (and how big/heavy). Beyond the built in HD, the damn system supported 720p. Played Simpsons HIt and Run on it and it's notably better visually and forgot how amazing Halo 2 looked. But man, it had the worst controller by far... even though I loved the breakaway cable and how long the controller wire was.

GC was definitely the last Nintendo system I loved unconditionally and loved the PS2 for the sheer variety of games. But I never had an OG Xbox back in the day, only played my brother's for a few times. I picked up an OG Xbox earlier in the summer and it's insane how advanced that system was (and how big/heavy). Beyond the built in HD, the damn system supported 720p. Played Simpsons HIt and Run on it and it's notably better visually and forgot how amazing Halo 2 looked. But man, it had the worst controller by far... even though I loved the breakaway cable and how long the controller wire was.
Simpson's Hit and Run is a solid example. PS2 vs GC... GC every day of the week. But throw in the beast Xbox and it was hard to turn away those visual and performace improvements. I didn't mind the controller. It was no wavebird but at least it had a long ass cable. My main issue was just being a Dreamcast fanatic and knowing full well that Peter Moore (president of sega america during the DC) helped prematurely kill the system off while also working deals to move a lot of games to the xbox (Shenmue 2 being the biggest... killing the US release on DC) ... and then of course jumping ship to run the gaming division of Microsoft. BUT I was more about the games ... and also my fellow DC gamers that I played PSO and other games online with... and they were mostly going xbox for the online stuff. But drama aside and how freaking big and heavy the OG xbox is... that thing is legit. That's why even though I sold of the one I bought new back in the day, I eventually grabbed a used one and a small stack of games.

Simpsons hit an run is one of my favorite gta lites ever. Loved that one. They easily could have turned it into a series outside of probably a very expensive license.

Simpsons hit an run is one of my favorite gta lites ever. Loved that one. They easily could have turned it into a series outside of probably a very expensive license.
Fwiw, people have done a lot with the PC port and some YouTuber even did a light remake of it in UE5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHAY-teQoFc

I think that came out at a time when The Simpsons' popularity was waning... guessing it was probably more expensive to create another GTA-clone vs The Simpsons games we did see after Hit and Run. I think that was one of the last Simpsons console games (I remember there was one that was on both the 6th and 7th gen- that I played on the PS3, and it was pretty meh.

That had nothing to do with it, the Wii is when they really went that direction, and were much more successful for it. The GameCube was still legit for its time and delivered their usual quality. The cool kids couldn’t see that through its kiddy image and didn’t want to be associated with it at the time. It was all marketing, how the company, and gaming was viewed and labeled by society. Microsoft and others with a different take on gaming needed to keep chipping away at their market share and get a foothold somehow.

Which is bull as how anyone would lose source code for one of their best selling games?
This was actually more common than you would think during that era. Off the top of my head I know Square lost the source code for Final Fantasy X and the first Kingdom Hearts and had to rebuild those games for the HD re-releases

This was actually more common than you would think during that era. Off the top of my head I know Square lost the source code for Final Fantasy X and the first Kingdom Hearts and had to rebuild those games for the HD re-releases
I didn't know about ffx. That explains why it had the rng bug on one of the versions of the re-release. Kh didn't matter much given that they were remaking it in 2s combat engine anyway.

How dare you??!? There were so many people waiting for plumbers don’t wear ties. Like, literally dozens of people excited for this. So, so many.
I foresee place like VGP giving copies that that shit away if you buy 3 other LRG games or something because you know LRG is going to make them buy a certain amount of them in order to buy the games that people might actually want.

Lol at that Valken box.  I googled to be sure it wasn't a bad game since it has A S S on the cover.

And that other stuff is probably not breaking moq.  The market is milked for random games.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

You know what creates warehouse and logistics issues?

Hundreds to thousands of unsold titles needed to meet printing quotas ...

I think Plumbers Don't Wear Ties is a neat little oddity from the "so bad it's good" perspective. But I'm not going to pay $45 and wait six months for a standard copy of it. I might pick it up digitally if it's on sale for $10 or so.

Since they removed the JavaScript thing there's no way to know how things are selling but even things that would've sold gangbusters a few years ago were struggling to hit MOQ when they removed it.

Yep, I got four different emails about Persona within a week. 20+ emails in my trash folder from the past month. By far the most emails I get from any single mailing list.

The more e-mails they send, the less I pay attention.  I don't know why I even receive them anymore because I don't look at them.  I'd miss anything important. 

You can click five e-mails in a row and they're all the same games. 

Who the hell is buying LRG titles right now when there's so many great games to play.
I am. :)

Well, not every single one, of course, but I'm down for Plumbers because I was interested in it even back in 3DO days. Never got my hands on it….didn't help I'm in Europe so I had to import a lot.

Also grabbed Gargoyles because the remastering looks nice and that switching back-and-forth is always cool, as well as Jurassic since I never had any of those games, I wouldn't be interested enough to get them individually, but in form of this collection, I'm in. I just enjoy 16-bit games and gameplay a lot, those SNES titles look right down my alley and the second Genesis one is supposedly really impressive.

So yeah, I'm still chugging along, but definitely not for every release of theirs, not by a longshot.

(also I agree that this sale extension smells of desperation)

Yep, I got four different emails about Persona within a week. 20+ emails in my trash folder from the past month. By far the most emails I get from any single mailing list.
I imagine Josh sending them personally, mumbling each time "but this is the greatest release this company's ever seen".

Narrator: It isn't.

I opted out of all emails after the first year. If there's anything important, someone will post about it.

I think Plumbers Don't Wear Ties is a neat little oddity from the "so bad it's good" perspective. But I'm not going to pay $45 and wait six months for a standard copy of it. I might pick it up digitally if it's on sale for $10 or so.
I think my price is closer to $5. That would probably be enough to scratch the curiosity itch... unless I just go google for a youtube video play through as that might be more entertaining.

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties is perfect react streamer bait; like MST3K, it's a bad thing I want to watch others suffer through, not suffer myself.

There used to be on dailymotion or youtube a Plumbers Don't Wear Ties you can play through. It's so short and so bad, it's worth it only bundled or maybe like $2. I played it back then, and it's as bad as it looks. Most of the FMV games fall into the category. This one isn't FMV other than the opening though, somehow making it a lot worse.

I'm slightly tempted by P3P, but I know I wont see it for ages, and I'm not a fan of that version of P3 IMHO (ugly graphics and I like exploration). I haven't played as the female MC, but will try it someday as I got in digitally already.

I'm kind of astonished at the "buy five CEs for a big poster" thing. Absolute gall, especially since they'll all be folded anyway.

I opted out of all emails after the first year. If there's anything important, someone will post about it.
The problem is, if you unsubscribe from their marketing spam you also don't get the (admittedly scant) update emails they send out. Now that I have no open orders I might finally pull the trigger, but knowing my luck that's when they'd finally send something out about Bird King.

Aren't the original Jurassic Park carts readily available for much less?

Also, good to see they're sticking to slowing down the CEs...

The problem is, if you unsubscribe from their marketing spam you also don't get the (admittedly scant) update emails they send out. Now that I have no open orders I might finally pull the trigger, but knowing my luck that's when they'd finally send something out about Bird King.
You still get shipping update emails even without subscribing to their newsletter. At least that's how it used to work.

Thankfully I'm not on the hook for Bird King or anything else from them. I'm sure though the moment the Bird King stuff is brought up someone will post something either here. I'm not holding my breath on that happening. They've screwed around for so many years it'll probably still be a thing holding when they get shut down by embracer for physical direct to consumer sales.

bread's done
Back