Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
I expect physical games to be more or less gone entirely in 2 generations. LRG cant exist if the hardware doesnt have a physical media slot. I do think that compared to movies and music, old games are ported to future hardware at an astonishingly low rate. This will provide a tailwind to demand for legacy hardware. 

It seems crazy but remember at one point PC gaming was all about physical media. Many cases nowadays and even some laptops no longer have CD/DVD/Bluray drives and no slot for them at all.

I feel physical will dwindle highly the next generation. Niche games will likely still keep getting physical media even when digital is stronger. Physical areas for games in store is already going down especially at places like Best Buy and Walmart.

For now though this generation we'll be fine.

I have no idea why people always find this to be a profound conversation.  

I guess that I spend way more time on blu-ray.com than other people.  It's been a constant talking point for like the last six years.  Some guy comes by and posts that "physical media is dying, gusy" and he seems to think that it's a profound statement.

It's like Groundhog Day on my discussion forums.  It's every. single. day.

Meanwhile we get more boutique and deluxe collectors items, with or without the game, than ever before.  Like stuff they sell on Fangamer.  Or EU / JP Amazon game shop imports. International, streamlined shipping brings stuff straight to your doorstep, for almost no cost.  While all of this console media is region-free now.  The toys I buy right now are cooler than anything else I've ever seen at mass market. 

People struggle with this stuff bc they don't have magazine ads or mainstream media publications which clearly define and directly tell them which collector items or hardware they should want to buy anymore. There's hardly that singular agreed-upon collector game SKU anymore.   I think that half of it is that people just spend so much money on digital bullshit subscriptions and memberships they are not able to buy the nice physical items that they'd like to own.

Not much reaches the status of 'cultural zeitgeist' anymore.  Even when it does, people often play those games alone and discuss it by themselves.  It's a lonely world out there.  Smart phones have made everyone boring and stupid. 

Meanwhile I've got all sorts of crazy other fan shit to buy.  Like the newly launched Atari 2600+ which actually plays old carts.  Or those 4K upscaling sticks and devices that hook up into your HDMI and make all your retro consoles look amazing.  There are new fightsticks and crazy Skuf controllers that I can't even afford.  Several insane hardcover masterpieces from Bitmapbooks.  Lowbrow artist prints and incredible wall art.  Shit man, Target even has some of the nicest Super Mario Bros. hard, defined stuffed animals I have ever seen like Bowser and Donkey Kong.  They have this giant stuffed Pikachu 24" Squishmallow for $49.99 right now; it's incredibly soft to the touch.  All the Anime in the UK is making some of the nicest chipboard collector sets ever created.  Hasbro is putting out FACE PRINTING TECHNOLOGY Star Wars Black Series figures now, as well as '97 / retro VHS / and retro blister carded X-men and you can buy the fucking arcade cabinet again

and people are like "physical game stuff is dying".  That's what we're gonna focus on: other people buying less of this stuff.

No, the only thing that has died is your interest in gaming.  Prolly were never much of a core gamer, otaku to begin with.  The rest of us are salivating over cool collectors items on Play-Asia or at HotToys.  We have modded console minis and multiple portable systems.  There are absurdly affordable Nintendo Switch deluxe editions to import 2+/year.  But it's all "doom & gloom" from types whom think that other people are the negative or unrealistic ones.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Meanwhile I've got all sorts of crazy other fan shit to buy. Like the newly launched Atari 2600+ which actually plays old carts. Or those 4K upscaling sticks and devices that hook up into your HDMI and make all your retro consoles look amazing. There are new fightsticks and crazy Skuf controllers that I can't even afford. Several insane hardcover masterpieces from Bitmapbooks. Lowbrow artist prints and incredible wall art. Shit man, Target even has some of the nicest Super Mario Bros. hard, defined stuffed animals I have ever seen like Bowser and Donkey Kong. They have this giant stuffed Pikachu 24" Squishmallow for $49.99 right now; it's incredibly soft to the touch. All the Anime in the UK is making some of the nicest chipboard collector sets ever created. Hasbro is putting out FACE PRINTING TECHNOLOGY Star Wars Black Series figures now, as well as '97 / retro VHS / and retro blister carded X-men and you can buy the fucking arcade cabinet again.

and people are like "physical game stuff is dying". That's what we're gonna focus on: other people buying less of this stuff.

No, the only thing that has died is your interest in gaming. Prolly were never much of a core gamer, otaku to begin with. The rest of us are salivating over cool collectors items on Play-Asia or at HotToys. We have modded console minis and multiple portable systems. There are absurdly affordable Nintendo Switch deluxe editions to import 2+/year. But it's all "doom & gloom" from types whom think that other people are the negative or unrealistic ones.
Nobody is saying "physical game stuff is dying". Most people don't want a house full of crap like you have described above and none of what you have described above has anything to do with whether or not physical games are dying.

Nobody is saying "physical game stuff is dying". Most people don't want a house full of crap like you have described above and none of what you have described above has anything to do with whether or not physical games are dying.
You've been on the block list for 10 years.

Though I'm sure you are quite pleased with the cherry you've picked, your personality here has zero redeeming qualities whatsoever. It's why you never have a single friendly or interesting thing to say in any normal circumstance.

You could disappear tomorrow and all that would be missing would be snide replies made in unkind.

Most people don't want a house full of LRG crap you collect either. Those aren't physical games anyways if you don't open or play them; they are just boxes. Tho I have no doubt you will struggle having any nuance understanding that as well.

I'm at midlife.  Late January and I'm 50.  I've been through enough with other family members to see an excessive collection and what happens to that excess in death.  I can go into details of what happened with my uncle's huge train set.. but I think y'all can imagine if I say no one kept it.  Everyone in my family has excessive (and mostly unique) collections and I don't poke at them for it... but my gosh I don't want a huge collection and I don't want to deal with their stuff either.   When I go (hopefully this really is midlife and I've got another 50), I really just want to leave behind common stuff that who cares what happens to most of it and maybe a couple medium size boxes of games that maybe one of my kids or maybe if they have kids... one of them will want.  Or maybe I'll have already given most of the stuff to them and sold off the excess and only have a few dozen titles I care the most for.

But that's me and where I'm at in life.  Like with my preorder at BB for Zelda TotK.  I just wanted the game.  They later added on some art print for the game.  When it came in, I thought about it for about two seconds and reminded myself of all the other random gaming items I saved over the decades only to rarely ever look at ... and then I offered it to my kids and one of them wanted it.  20 years ago... hell probably 10 years ago, I couldn't have fathomed giving stuff like that away.

I'm at midlife. Late January and I'm 50. I've been through enough with other family members to see an excessive collection and what happens to that excess in death. I can go into details of what happened with my uncle's huge train set.. but I think y'all can imagine if I say no one kept it. Everyone in my family has excessive (and mostly unique) collections and I don't poke at them for it... but my gosh I don't want a huge collection and I don't want to deal with their stuff either. When I go (hopefully this really is midlife and I've got another 50), I really just want to leave behind common stuff that who cares what happens to most of it and maybe a couple medium size boxes of games that maybe one of my kids or maybe if they have kids... one of them will want. Or maybe I'll have already given most of the stuff to them and sold off the excess and only have a few dozen titles I care the most for.

But that's me and where I'm at in life. Like with my preorder at BB for Zelda TotK. I just wanted the game. They later added on some art print for the game. When it came in, I thought about it for about two seconds and reminded myself of all the other random gaming items I saved over the decades only to rarely ever look at ... and then I offered it to my kids and one of them wanted it. 20 years ago... hell probably 10 years ago, I couldn't have fathomed giving stuff like that away.
Not for a second do I think anyone will want the stuff I have. I'm buying it for myself and to enjoy it. That said, as I've grown older, I'm becoming more attuned of the fact that our time is limited, short, and precious, and that it's vital to spend that time doing things you want to do and with the people you care most for. Videogames/movies fall inside that circle, but as an increasingly smaller and smaller part of it. I like the idea of having the option, knowing that may be that's all it'll ever be.

I expect physical games to be more or less gone entirely in 2 generations. LRG cant exist if the hardware doesnt have a physical media slot. I do think that compared to movies and music, old games are ported to future hardware at an astonishingly low rate. This will provide a tailwind to demand for legacy hardware.
LRG can totally exist even if no hardware has a physical media slot. They are still making games for ancient platforms.

And we've already seen that you sure don't need the actual game to sell a physical version. Empty cases have been at retail with no disc/cartridge and I can see that happening more often in the future - not at retail, where this stuff definitely won't exist, but smaller LRG-like operations will totally be making physical product with a DLC code. Sony just released the Spider-Man 2 CE with a steelbook and nothing to put in it (they couldn't even bother with a soundtrack).

And we live in a world where Target's little media section has decreased the presence of DVD/Blu-Rays while expanding vinyl and books. Yes. Vinyl.

LRG can totally exist even if no hardware has a physical media slot. They are still making games for ancient platforms.

And we've already seen that you sure don't need the actual game to sell a physical version. Empty cases have been at retail with no disc/cartridge and I can see that happening more often in the future - not at retail, where this stuff definitely won't exist, but smaller LRG-like operations will totally be making physical product with a DLC code. Sony just released the Spider-Man 2 CE with a steelbook and nothing to put in it (they couldn't even bother with a soundtrack).

And we live in a world where Target's little media section has decreased the presence of DVD/Blu-Rays while expanding vinyl and books. Yes. Vinyl.
I maintain that an empty box is not a physical game, its just merch. I have no doubt lots of companies will make merch. LRG may pivot to making collectors editions with DL codes. But thats not a physical game.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/1716657458649715128
south-park.gif

You've been on the block list for 10 years.

Though I'm sure you are quite pleased with the cherry you've picked, your personality here has zero redeeming qualities whatsoever. It's why you never have a single friendly or interesting thing to say in any normal circumstance.

You could disappear tomorrow and all that would be missing would be snide replies made in unkind.

Most people don't want a house full of LRG crap you collect either. Those aren't physical games anyways if you don't open or play them; they are just boxes. Tho I have no doubt you will struggle having any nuance understanding that as well.
I've allegedly been on the block list and yet here you are responding. Your only response to the factual statement that physical media is dying was to attack the people making the statement and create some straw argument about other gaming related crap being more ubiquitous than ever to somehow prove that it isn't. Please, feel free to share your data about how physical media is actually growing and will soon outpace digital media. Of course, you won't because you know deep down that no matter how much plastic crap you fill your parents' basement with, it won't ever fill the giant void of emptiness you feel in every moment.

Yeah, I disagree with Josh strongly on this one. There are games where you can tell that significant effort was made but it still didn't come out right. Those are the games that typically become cult classics and probably deserve to be remembered even if they didn't advance the art form very much. In this instance, little effort was made initially and the product was poor and it really feels like an attempt to elevate something that is best forgotten and literally did nothing to advance the art form.

I spent years tracking down the rights to this game to make this possible because I firmly believe the worst games are just as relevant to our history as the best games.
How far is his head up his own ass?

If the only way to get physical games in the future is one-off, in-demand publishing houses, it's going to be too much of a pain in the ass for most. If the big publishers can produce a print on demand model, it might stick around, but digital is dominating.

And merch is not the physical game itself; take our crap tier release of Plumbers Don't Wear Ties. Sure, it could be novel to have a modern digital release (DRM free), the original physical for collectors, and maybe a print on demand copy. But look at the insane monetization push it's got; remember, the line must go up while the market for physical is objectively going down. So they either reap higher profits off useless tat in bloated boxes or peter out (look at so many others dying in the night).

As for collecting in general, I hope that whatever future civilization digs up the era of the Plasticine (modern anthropocene) and goes "dude had bitchin' taste." Cause I imagine I'll sooner see a day the lights go out one last time then sell it off.

Really looking forward to the "Great news! We've extended Plumbers Don't Wear Ties: Definitive Edition preorders for another week!" email
^ This(if it already hasnt happened)

How about digging up rights to old games people want or are crazy expensive(Im still waiting for that Rondo of Blood reprint). Have we tried that yet(again)??

The worst games are fine in bundles with a bunch of other games. Some like Plumbers Don't Wear Ties are generally wastes of time, even though something like that had much more thought and effort put into it than say asset flips, hentai puzzle games, and some programmer's first game. You used to be able to play it on Youtube or Dailymotion or something like that and it was about as exciting as it looks. It also was very short. I wouldn't touch that game unless it's staring at me for a quarter or a $3 bundle with like 10 games. I love visual novels and such too, so it's on a very low end even for one of those.

The worst games are fine in bundles with a bunch of other games. Some like Plumbers Don't Wear Ties are generally wastes of time, even though something like that had much more thought and effort put into it than say asset flips, hentai puzzle games, and some programmer's first game. You used to be able to play it on Youtube or Dailymotion or something like that and it was about as exciting as it looks. It also was very short. I wouldn't touch that game unless it's staring at me for a quarter or a $3 bundle with like 10 games. I love visual novels and such too, so it's on a very low end even for one of those.
Bundle up half a dozen of these FMV ports, and let’s be clear they are glorified ports, for like $50, maybe $60, I’m on board. $40 with shipping for an individual release? Get outta here with that noise.

Y'all are crazy. Shows how bad LRG releases are currently. Also to the guy who said 50 is midlife I love you buddy but that's up in age.

We all get old. Enjoy what you have. It seems like a dream josh had was to get plumbers don't wear ties. If Josh is happy with it cool. My kids know eBay. That's where my collection goes once I do. Hopefully into the hands of high paying collector's or someone who actually wants to play the game.

So tired of hearing the vinyl example. I'd refer you to listen to the most recent LAN Parties podcast; they interviewed former Sony head Shawn Layden. His discussion about physical games and the industry's self-destructive battle on preservation is insightful.

Vinyl/music have a far longer lifespan than a $70 videogame that basically has its launch and that's it. Touring artists mean vinyl and albums - which are really just merch vs. a videogame which IS the experience - have multiple high exposure sales opportunities. Every time Swift tours, her vinyls/albums get featured and product sells.

As Layton points out correctly, games just are a completely different beast. The sales model relies on that first couple weeks of sales and dips.

It's a sales model that IMHO he's right is unsustainable for aaa and quad-a games consumers keep demanding.

He doesn't offer a rosy look for the future of the industry, creatively and fiscally. The other shoe is going to drop and we could eventually see very little variety and an Atari-like collapse ... or more likely, even more consolidation - which will only further constrict creativity and output.

His comment that gamers who don't play COD for 10 years won't suddenly want to play it is right, and yet the industry keeps pumping money into another dozen battle royales/fps shooters. His comment that the music industry was disrupted by non-creative outsiders Apple and Spotify like the movie industry was by Netflix and Hulu are interesting.

Google has tried. The industry resisted, but the next go around may be very different.

This is why I think rumors of Disney stepping in would be the best of the worst scenario.

Sorry for the rant :)

The first step is stop spending $200-$400+mil to make these insane quadruple-A games. 

next, stop trying to make every one of your bloated-budget titles into a darn service game!  The problem is these studios are failing to make self-contained, finished, single-player experiences in a normal 2.5-4year development cycle. 

It's the same problem Disney and others have been experiencing in the theatrical market; your production budget is massively bloated.   A $300mil movie isn't "a flop at the box office" just because you made only $450mil and broke even. What, some random super hero movie #58 is supposed to make $600mil just bc you said so? Your expectations are way out of check.  The problem is that you spent way too much on production, with poor project oversight.

The first step is stop spending $200-$400+mil to make these insane quadruple-A games.

next, stop trying to make every one of your bloated-budget titles into a darn service game! The problem is these studios are failing to make self-contained, finished, single-player experiences in a normal 2.5-4year development cycle.

It's the same problem Disney and others have been experiencing in the theatrical market; your production budget is massively bloated. A $300mil movie isn't "a flop at the box office" just because you made only $450mil and broke even. What, some random super hero movie #58 is supposed to make $600mil just bc you said so? Your expectations are way out of check. The problem is that you spent way too much on production, with poor project oversight.
Well said. One big problem is that development costs are now pretty crazy such that publishers are so risk adverse that more/more are chasing their tails. It explains the umpteenth shooter and the bloated budgets (i.e., investors only want in on "sure-fire" umpteenth iteration of the same game/gameplay).

The indies are still there but with little/no media budgets, no one is really buying those games in sustainable numbers.

There are a lot of problems right now. All the layoffs are not a good sign.

LOL, what a soulless corporate cross-promotion mandate that clearly is…

Edit-
Even the Wikipedia for the game was clearly written by a PR person:
“ The team did extended research, held team book clubs and consulted with the Tolkien experts Corey Olsen, T. S: Luikart and David Salo, who also developed new Khuzdul phrases. They first assembled a small team of expressive concept artists, under art director Bradley Fulton to create 2D concept art.[8][9] Game director Jon-Paul Dumont said, that they wanted the game to "recreate the grounded, real-world setting of Middle-earth" and that they "combined these two ideas: expressive character designs with realistic materials, lighting, and animation to create a world that feels real, inhabited by characters full of life."[9] It also features a soundtrack of songs written and inspired by Tolkien.[6]”

That was written by someone who spends a good portion of their day on LinkedIn.

So tired of hearing the vinyl example. I'd refer you to listen to the most recent LAN Parties podcast; they interviewed former Sony head Shawn Layden. His discussion about physical games and the industry's self-destructive battle on preservation is insightful.

Vinyl/music have a far longer lifespan than a $70 videogame that basically has its launch and that's it. Touring artists mean vinyl and albums - which are really just merch vs. a videogame which IS the experience - have multiple high exposure sales opportunities. Every time Swift tours, her vinyls/albums get featured and product sells.
You're talking about a game only being viable "at launch" in a thread about the company that is selling physical Gameboy/Genesis/SNES cartridges in the 2020s.

The vinyl example was about an ancient and inferior physical format still selling to this day. None of the physical formats are actually "massively popular", but the retro one will end up being just as or more popular in this niche market than what came after. It's not about touring increasing awareness of music at all - there are CDs that should've benefitted from the same model. It's that the vinyl of "Midnights" outsold the CD and if you're looking for Taylor Swift product at Target, there is way more vinyl than CDs. Swift sells cassettes. Physical media "dying" isn't stopping physical media. They are reaching decades into the past to feed a niche market.

You're talking about a game only being viable "at launch" in a thread about the company that is selling physical Gameboy/Genesis/SNES cartridges in the 2020s.

The vinyl example was about an ancient and inferior physical format still selling to this day. None of the physical formats are actually "massively popular", but the retro one will end up being just as or more popular in this niche market than what came after. It's not about touring increasing awareness of music at all - there are CDs that should've benefitted from the same model. It's that the vinyl of "Midnights" outsold the CD and if you're looking for Taylor Swift product at Target, there is way more vinyl than CDs. Swift sells cassettes. Physical media "dying" isn't stopping physical media. They are reaching decades into the past to feed a niche market.
I guess the crux of either of these arguments is if there's a way to play physical disc based games going forward. If console makers don't have a way to play physical media, then none of this matters.

Sure, companies can release games for older systems (the Dreamcast practically brought it to popularity on its own almost 20 years ago), but new releases on new systems is different. It's not like any company can make a disc-based system from the big three like companies can for record or CD players. If that were so easy, I would've expected Analogue-type versions of the PlayStation and Saturn by now. That's just not happening.

I also think, in general, the music to video games comparison is a bit apples to oranges. And this is coming from someone who loves to have physical video games and goes out of his way to get physical versions of video games.

I guess the crux of either of these arguments is if there's a way to play physical disc based games going forward. If console makers don't have a way to play physical media, then none of this matters.

Sure, companies can release games for older systems (the Dreamcast practically brought it to popularity on its own almost 20 years ago), but new releases on new systems is different. It's not like any company can make a disc-based system from the big three like companies can for record or CD players. If that were so easy, I would've expected Analogue-type versions of the PlayStation and Saturn by now. That's just not happening.

I also think, in general, the music to video games comparison is a bit apples to oranges. And this is coming from someone who loves to have physical video games and goes out of his way to get physical versions of video games.
Exactly. This is the point.

If that were so easy, I would've expected Analogue-type versions of the PlayStation and Saturn by now.
Saturn, that's a mess, lets skip it... but PS1... that's IMO not even remotely needed since three generations of PS systems play those discs. I can't imagine there's demand for them. Saturn is a lot more niche, but also considerably more complex.

Skate Cat was developed by a 10 year old and is fifteen minutes long.

... Why?

Doug, was this your doing?

Edit: There's likely big demand for an easy HD PS2 solution (that's not hoping a BC PS3 won't YLOD)

Skate Cat was developed by a 10 year old and is fifteen minutes long.

... Why?

Doug, was this your doing?
LMAO is this true?

if so, LRG has hit rock bottom(or at least till next "big name title" release). I thought the streamline of Kemco games was the bottom, but then the Plumber game came out

.....and now this Cat game

At this rate(and quality), Im never getting Rondo of Blood am I

Here is a Link to a review of Skate Cat. Never heard of it, and it's twenty minutes to beat not fifteen OK!?!?! Looks like bundle fodder and is the kids first video game. Not bad for a first game, but probably worth a dollar or two. 

A former LRG employee in a private Facebook group is selling a copy of Revenge of the Bird King for Vita.  That's the third copy I've seen floating in a Facebook group in the past month or so.

Also, they have a sealed copy of Poopslingers... now, how did a former LRG employee somehow snag a copy of such a rare game (and why are they asking $15,000 OBO)?  And they're only selling LRG games otherwise...

Circumstantial evidence,... but people selling off back door copies of RotBK for Vita is still kinda gross, IMO.

There is a market for a standalone HD/4k PS1 player
I'm sure there is (I'd be one of them) but it can't be THAT big of a market. I mean, yeah, you see what people are doing with PS1 games running on emulators but for Sony to make something, test it with the hundreds of PS1 games, and then release to market is prob gonna be an astronomical under-taking and cost a lotta money.

I would honestly just love it if they released more fully hardware BC PS3s that didn't die after a few years unless meretriciously taken care of. They gets were just slightly more upscaled/cleaner on HDTVs, wireless controller (though the addition of in-game sleep state support would be appreciated), and being able to see to a HD (or SSD) were plenty for me.

Everything about the Bird King situation is gross. So much for Doug saying only one copy was in the wild, though.
What if there IS only 1 copy in the wild? What if this is just like the fine art racket... or really any "valuable" market. People are just passing around this one copy and "selling" it at a slightly higher amount each time... until it gets high enough where they can slowly bleed a few additional copies to the market for massive mark ups?

What if there IS only 1 copy in the wild? What if this is just like the fine art racket... or really any "valuable" market. People are just passing around this one copy and "selling" it at a slightly higher amount each time... until it gets high enough where they can slowly bleed a few additional copies to the market for massive mark ups?
Bit too conspiracy minded, even for me. (I know it's a joke)

But again, three different people claiming to have copies in one month for an unreleased game is just super, duper weird, IMO.

This will really make the Vita collectors mad, all 18 of them.

A former LRG employee in a private Facebook group is selling a copy of Revenge of the Bird King for Vita. That's the third copy I've seen floating in a Facebook group in the past month or so.

Also, they have a sealed copy of Poopslingers... now, how did a former LRG employee somehow snag a copy of such a rare game (and why are they asking $15,000 OBO)? And they're only selling LRG games otherwise...

Circumstantial evidence, but people selling off back door copies of RotBK for Vita is still kinda gross, IMO.
Do you hear yourself? (I seriously mean no offense by that btw)

That's what this company has become. It's not unlike some random cryptocurrency that is being pumped and dumped in order to create insane valuations which are false. This is the kind of thing that happens in the sports card and trading card world all the time. Someone corners the market and then pumps their rare item. This is also the kind of story which gives LRG undeserved exposure and bad publicity which is always good publicity.

"private copy of Bird King" and rare "sealed copy of Poopslingers". yeesh. If I had those things, I would hawk them for insane amounts too. Especially as an ex-employee. Hell, for all we know maybe they have 2-3 copies bc why couldn't they? This stuff is meaningless. It doesn't have that kind of real world value. It's a manipulated asset class. There are boxes of these games somewhere. What a bunch of malarkey.

If you ever have anything resembling the titles you have mentioned here then YOU SELL IT. Immediately. That is the lesson here.

I'm aware of the circumstances and would encourage no one to spend four figures (or greater) on a video game without knowing what it is, why it's that expensive, and do you really need it.

I'm sure there is (I'd be one of them) but it can't be THAT big of a market. I mean, yeah, you see what people are doing with PS1 games running on emulators but for Sony to make something, test it with the hundreds of PS1 games, and then release to market is prob gonna be an astronomical under-taking and cost a lotta money.

I would honestly just love it if they released more fully hardware BC PS3s that didn't die after a few years unless meretriciously taken care of. They gets were just slightly more upscaled/cleaner on HDTVs, wireless controller (though the addition of in-game sleep state support would be appreciated), and being able to see to a HD (or SSD) were plenty for me.
Sony would never do it, obviously. They'd make no money off game sales.

If you believe any limited print game is "rare", you need to stop collecting games immediately because you will be declaring bankruptcy, if you haven't already.

bread's done
Back