Linux PS3

being a brand new ps3 owner, i have been poking around seeing if i should try out a linux install.

jewelz, any reason you recommend that over yellow dog?

i have also been unable to confirm if you can play hi def video, (mkv). i've seen it done on youtube, i think, but i can't find any confirmation.

[quote name='icyjones']being a brand new ps3 owner, i have been poking around seeing if i should try out a linux install.

jewelz, any reason you recommend that over yellow dog?

i have also been unable to confirm if you can play hi def video, (mkv). i've seen it done on youtube, i think, but i can't find any confirmation.[/quote]

If you've never used Linux before, don't expect to do anything with it until you've used it for a while. Ubuntu is good for starters, but again, don't expect to just install it and start installing whatever you want.

I haven't set up Linux on my PS3 yet (I haven't done much with it, except for watching a few Blu-Rays), and I'm having a hard time deciding which OS to limit to 10GB, PS3 or Linux. Any opinions?

Edit: I have a 60GB, if that makes a difference. I doubt I'd have a problem with the decision if I had a 20GB ;)

Bump for more discussion on PS3 Linux.

1. Which is the best distro to use? I'm seeing a bit about Yellow Dog and PSbuntu.
2. How much space is needed for install?
3. 720p MKV playback would be sweet. Is this possible?
4. Is the install really time-consuming or is it tailored for the PS3 so that you don't spend days at the command line during post-install?
5. Is there any risk of losing PS3 game/save data during install?

Edit: I just read that if you want to install another OS on the PS3 you have to reformat the hard drive. I don't want to have to back up all my saves and then completely redo all my settings on the PS3. Why couldn't they use a virtual hard drive file instead of having to re-format and re-partition?

yellowdog was pretty user friendly.. its been a while since i messed with it though

all the things i wanted to do before were pretty much locked since gpu access was not available

dont know if thats changed

I'm interested in installing Linux on my PS3 but not yet and not now. I need to upgrade the HDD first and find some good usage out of Linux worthy of doing it.

After doing more research it appears that even the "official" PS3 Linux by Yellowdog is not in a very usable state right now. Hell, from what I've seen the current version doesn't even support the SIXAXIS controller via Bluetooth! I'll wait a couple of years and see if a turnkey PS3 distro comes out.

At this point it looks like you're the best you can do is run desktop apps w/ the mouse and keyboard.

[quote name='NTolerance']After doing more research it appears that even the "official" PS3 Linux by Yellowdog is not in a very usable state right now. Hell, from what I've seen the current version doesn't even support the SIXAXIS controller via Bluetooth! I'll wait a couple of years and see if a turnkey PS3 distro comes out.

At this point it looks like you're the best you can do is run desktop apps w/ the mouse and keyboard.[/QUOTE]
The newest edition of ydl does allow for use of the sixaxis though. Either way, linux isn't worth the effort on the ps3. It's a shame that they can't tap into the full potential of the ps3. Even emulating doesn't run very smoothly.

I have been using Linux for 10 years now. I have had my PS3 for about a year, and still don't have much of a desire to install Linux.

I think most people would be better served by installing linux on a desktop, and playing with it there. Most linux installers now will even partition your windows install, so you can have windows hold your hand while you learn it.

Unless you need another desktop/workstation, or plan on using the PS3 as a web/ftp server, I don't see the point, other than bragging to your friends. With 256 MB of main, you can't even run a newb-friendly desktop environment like KDE, or GNome all that well. Possibly XFCE would be ok.

If you must: Having tried many distros, I would second Ubuntu or KUbuntu (I prefer KDE over GNome), as very newb-friendly. Once you have picked a distro, use the distro's community forums to learn linux. You'll get a lot more answers than here.

~S

snowsquirrel's dead on. You really dont want the PS3 to be your introduction to Linux. It's currently pretty slow from lack of RSX access. I imagine you could use it as a web browser but you'll run into issues with i386/64 binary blobs not being supported which will cut out Flash player.

Install linux on an old machine or dual boot and you'll enjoy it more. If later on you find you really like linux and the ps3 linux scene is more mature maybe it will be a good choice. I'll probably be putting linux on my PS3 once I get a bigger HD (20gb now) but I'll just use it to check mail and play mp3's.

bread's done
Back