Lions Gate releasing UMD moves

ransom456

CAGiversary!
Indeed, among the initial batch of Lions Gate films are a number of titles tailor-made for the 18-to-35 males. Recent films such as the low-budget thriller Open Water, the horror film Saw, and the comic book-inspired actioner The Punisher--which itself inspired a game--will be among the 12 films. They will be joined by muy macho classics from Lions Gate's library, including Total Recall and Rambo: First Blood. The remainder of the titles were not named as of press time.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/07/news_6119891.html

No mention of price or release date, but it is nice to see another studio supporting the format. The more UMD movies that come out, the better the chance of some price drops.

[quote name='whoknows']Wow, House of The Dead......what moron would pay for that?[/quote]

Well for once I'm actually glad that the free movie with the PSP is Spidey 2. I mean it could be worse we could be getting HotD.

[quote name='kaji7p56']Are people so desperate to watch movies on the go that they would buy these? Just wait until you get home people![/quote]
I hope people don't bite much on these so the few good titles that will come out on UMD will get cheap fast. I can see the UMD movies getting clearanced at like $5 way before the dvds get to $9.99.

[quote name='TheUnsane1'][quote name='kaji7p56']Are people so desperate to watch movies on the go that they would buy these? Just wait until you get home people![/quote]
I hope people don't bite much on these so the few good titles that will come out on UMD will get cheap fast. I can see the UMD movies getting clearanced at like $5 way before the dvds get to $9.99.[/quote]

The smart thing to do (not that I would buy them anyway) would be for companies to bundle the UMD version with the DVD version for $5-$10 more (depending on the title).

[quote name='JebusMcLucifer']I hope they bring House of 100 Corpses to UMD.[/quote]

It would be even better if they released House of 1000 Corpses

[quote name='munch'][quote name='JebusMcLucifer']I hope they bring House of 100 Corpses to UMD.[/quote]

It would be even better if they released House of 1000 Corpses[/quote]

Yeah well I'm waiting for House of 10000 Corpses!

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the market for movies on UMD. Why wouldn't people just buy the DVD version and rip it to a DUO stick to play on their PSP? That way you'd own the movie on a media that is much more universal.

[quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='munch'][quote name='JebusMcLucifer']I hope they bring House of 100 Corpses to UMD.[/quote]

Yeah well I'm waiting for House of 10000 Corpses![/quote]
im gonna go ahead and skip a few steps....

im still holding out for house of 1000000000000 corpses!!!!

[quote name='shipwreck']Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the market for movies on UMD. Why wouldn't people just buy the DVD version and rip it to a DUO stick to play on their PSP? That way you'd own the movie on a media that is much more universal.[/quote]

Yep, I'm sure a lot of people will do that.....I think UMD movies is just plain dumb (unless they are $5 or so)

The one problem with ripping them to a memory stick, is....it would probably take up an entire 1GB or 2GB memory stick. Then, when you want another movie....you have to delete and add another, so you would not have easy access to a bunch of UMD discs. And, it's not cost effective to have 10 memory sticks.

[quote name='doubledown'][quote name='shipwreck']Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the market for movies on UMD. Why wouldn't people just buy the DVD version and rip it to a DUO stick to play on their PSP? That way you'd own the movie on a media that is much more universal.[/quote]

Yep, I'm sure a lot of people will do that.....I think UMD movies is just plain dumb (unless they are $5 or so)

The one problem with ripping them to a memory stick, is....it would probably take up an entire 1GB or 2GB memory stick. Then, when you want another movie....you have to delete and add another, so you would not have easy access to a bunch of UMD discs. And, it's not cost effective to have 10 memory sticks.[/quote]

That's true, but I have no problem just having one movie on the stick at a time. Somehow I've managed to use my portable DVD player without carrying around my entire DVD collection. :D

Carry one movie at a time. Keep others encoded on your harddrive and switch out as needed. It's just like updating an iPod. Plug up, move some stuff around and go. That's what I plan to do.
-G

[quote name='cthcky33'][quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='munch'][quote name='JebusMcLucifer']I hope they bring House of 100 Corpses to UMD.[/quote]

Yeah well I'm waiting for House of 10000 Corpses![/quote]
im gonna go ahead and skip a few steps....

im still holding out for house of 1000000000000 corpses!!!![/quote]

haha, i win, house of ~ (infinite) corpses!

Even with these new titles announced the only UMD movie I'm interested in is Spider Man 2, and I already own that on DVD.

[quote name='TheUnsane1']The more movies on UMD, the more Clearance UMD movies at Target.[/quote]

:lol:

The sad thing is that while I was at Gamestop today there was a guy preordering UMD's...

bread's done
Back