Lips - Starring Superstar Singing Sensation Duffy

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2008/1022-lipsholiday.htm
The 40 songs on disc span a wide range of musical genres setting the stage for evenings of fun and entertainment with friends and family.

Check out the list:

Song List

• a-ha "Take on Me"
  • Alicia Keys "No One"
  • Aly & AJ "Potential Break Up Song"
  • Avril Lavigne "Complicated"
  • Ben E. King "Stand by Me"
  • Beyoncé "Irreplaceable"
  • Blondie "Call Me"
  • Chris Brown "With You"
  • Coldplay "Yellow"
  • Depeche Mode "Personal Jesus"
  • Destiny's Child "Survivor"
  • Dido "White Flag"
  • Duffy "Mercy"
  • Duran Duran "Hungry Like the Wolf"
  • John Denver "Take Me Home, Country Roads"
  • Johnny Cash "Ring of Fire"
  • Leona Lewis "Bleeding Love"
  • Lil' Mama "Lip Gloss"
  • Lupe Fiasco (featuring Matthew Santos) "Superstar"
  • Maroon 5 "Makes Me Wonder"
  • Nirvana "In Bloom"
  • Peter Bjorn and John "Young Folks"
  • Queen "Another One Bites the Dust"
  • R.E.M. "The One I Love"
  • Radiohead "Fake Plastic Trees"
  • The Ramones "I Wanna Be Sedated"
  • Rascal Flatts "Stand"
  • Rihanna "Umbrella"
  • Roxette "Listen to Your Heart"
  • Sara Bareilles "Love Song"
  • Sheryl Crow "Soak Up the Sun"
  • Taylor Swift "I'm Only Me When I'm With You"
  • The Bangles "Walk Like an Egyptian"
  • The Fray "Over My Head (Cable Car)"
  • The Jackson 5 "ABC"
  • The Police "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic"
  • The Raveonettes "Love in a Trashcan"
  • Trace Adkins "Ladies Love Country Boys"
  • Weezer "Island in the Sun"
  • Young MC "Bust a Move"
There's something for everyone in Lips, including the following:

• Party games: Lips has a variety of gameplay modes including: Kiss, where duos who hit the notes and gestures together meet in the middle to share a kiss; Vocal Fighters that pits singers in one-on-one competition to win the most fans and boot one another off the stage; and Time Bomb, where players work together to perform well and stave off a time bomb.
ilmlips00.jpg

Are you a match with your singing mate in Kiss mode?

• Music videos: Music videos enhance the game outside the original videos included with most songs. An in-game virtual music video enhances your performance as the screen mirrors your moves and the characters lip-sync along with you. And check out the unique and quirky custom music videos that add a humorous element to your routine and provide a video for songs that may not have one.
  • Freestyle: Lips also allows you to use digital rights management-free songs from your own music collection when singing or playing any of the Party Games. Sing along to your music collection and play up your gestures to add to your score, while a virtual music video accompanies your performance. It's as simple as plugging in your compatible MP3 player. Lyrics will not display for songs from your music collection. For a list of compatible music players, visit http://www.xbox.com/lips.
  • Play along: In addition to using the two mics as instruments, four of your friends can join in using the standard Xbox 360 Controller and choose from a variety of percussion accompaniment to play along with the music.
  • Downloadnew songs: A regular flow of downloadable content will be available for purchase via Xbox LIVE® Marketplace, starting at game launch. Love Estelle's "No Substitute Love"? It's there. Get the latest tracks to continually update your Lips experience.
  • Splitparts: Co-op Mode in Lips is designed to more accurately reflect songs that feature multiple vocalists. This gameplay mode enhances the experience by showing the lyrics and melody to all parts, helping turn a singing duo into a professional act.

Last edited by a moderator:
Second: you can use songs from a CD (how do you get them into the game?)
Uh...rip them to the hard drive beforehand and then access them in-game?

apparently the game will magically "reduce the vocals so you can sing along and be heard." Don't know the lyrics by heart? You can add those in as well.

That is almost certainly ye olde "vocal remove" filter that you get on most sound editing programs. It only works some of the time and often winds up cutting out an instrument or two as well. Hope they surprise me.

I'm not surprised that Microsoft is making a Singstar type game, I know the series is huge in Europe and has a ton of DLC (and Microsoft does love DLC).

that art is terrible. The Mics look nice though. I hope they are compatible with other games like Rock Band, Karaoke Revolution, etc.

i would love it if they could make it like singstar but with not crappy dlc. also, if the wireless mics worked with rb2/gh4, that would be bliss.

I agree. If it's just a little better than Singstar yet has better DLC, it'll be way better overall. I love that the mics are wireless too.

If it does indeed allow us to use our own music (a feature I wish the Rock Band series allowed) consider me very interested. Shit, I practically only used the mic in Rock Band anyway. Lips would be more up my alley.

i don't see how you could use your own music. You'd still need to somehow put the lyrics on the screen. Plus, you couldn't mute the original singer's voice.

[quote name='GamerChris']Plus, you couldn't mute the original singer's voice.[/quote]

There's some programs out there that can do it (like GoldWave with the "reduce vocals" option), but it all depends on how the original song was recorded.

30 tracks on the disc? Thats a little weak. Of course that means DLC.

I wonder if the song will be full songs. I played Singstar once and if I remember the songs are shortened. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

[quote name='Limpbizkit182521']30 tracks on the disc? Thats a little weak. Of course that means DLC.

I wonder if the song will be full songs. I played Singstar once and if I remember the songs are shortened. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.[/quote]
SingStar allows you to pick full or shorter versions of the songs.

[quote name='Limpbizkit182521']30 tracks on the disc? Thats a little weak. Of course that means DLC.

I wonder if the song will be full songs. I played Singstar once and if I remember the songs are shortened. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.[/QUOTE]

You know, it occurred to me, something that would be cool, yet unlikely, is if they included only 30 tracks but the game also came with a code or the ability to download X number of songs right away from DLC. That way, most of your song library is the music you like. I wish RB did something like that.

This game interests me simply because I have my wife, and very casual friends, that might enjoy it.

I am really curious as to how the motion in the mic is suppose to be implemented.

Bumping this up because this is due out this week. I haven't heard too much interest on it, nor much about it, but it should be interesting to see the reviews and how well it stacks up to Singstar.

[quote name='thrustbucket']This just isn't the type of game to really appeal to the CAG demographic.[/quote]
The SingStar thread seems to be doing well at 450 posts in seven months.

Its kind of hard to talk about something when the actual details on it have been pretty sparse.

As for the Singstar thread post comparison, you really can't compare them as Singstar is established while Lips (though is still a karaoke program) is a new IP.

OK. Now that the games is out I have a question. How well does the function for using your own music files work? My music taste is pretty eclectic and most of the songs I would be interested in are unlikely to be available as a download.

Wow, I was semi-interested in this until seeing the tracklist. 95% of those songs have been done on Karaoke Revolution, Singstar, or Rock Band. Even the 8TH KR game (American Idol: Encore 2) has a more original tracklist than this. Obviously, the kind of people who would even consider playing this have probably played the other singing games. Why even release it if you're just going to rehash songs? Pointless!

And SERIOUSLY??? "I Wanna Be Sedated"??? AGAIN??? REALLY??? lol :drool:

[quote name='gareman']Yup that pretty much is a deal breaker right there. I love KR and Singstar but I really wanted this package for the motion sensor wifi mics to use for GH and RB. Look I might skip this altogether now.[/quote]

I think I read on Kotaku that they said they could patch it so it would work for GH & RB, but of course it would probably take weeks for that to get released.

So did anyone else buy this game? I am a sucker for Karaoke games and am glad that there's finally one for the 360. So far it's pretty good as it really does reward the better singers. 4 times outta 5, I was beaten by my friend who's a really good singer and has taken some vocal classes and such. But when I play against my brother, it's pretty close most of the time.

The whole "using your own music" thing is pretty iffy, I plugged in my Zune and unfortunately there seems to be a cap as to the number of max songs displayable. I have about 11k songs on my Zune and it capped somewhere around 5k. Basically you can browse the songs on your Zune, choose which ones you want to sing, and import them to your HDD (I think...). Then after that, you go back to the main option and the song you imported should be in the main list with the others. There are no lyrics, but the judging seems to be pretty accurate.

Is it fun? Yes, if you don't have a PS3 then get this for karaoke. If you do have a PS3 then the answer is pretty obvious. I just hope that there will be tons of songs available for download as the lyrics make it so much better; not everyone knows the lyrics to the songs I wanna sing to.

The best part about Lips is the funny subject line it has for this thread.

I've seen next to no hype or buzz for this game, I thought for sure MS would be shoving this one down our throats after that E3 video. Looks like Lips may wind up being the "Rock Revolution" of karaoke games. slickkill77's post sums it up nicely.

[quote name='godhatesjustyou']So did anyone else buy this game? I am a sucker for Karaoke games and am glad that there's finally one for the 360. [/QUOTE]

I'd recommend Karaoke Revolution American Idol Encore over this one. It came out last year and I think you can find it pretty cheap. I hate the static pitch meters in singstar and lips. The way singing is handled on Rock Band and Karaoke Revolution is the way to go in my opinion.

Damn, I just don't know if I want this. I have so many games to play, but the fact that Violet Hill and No Substitute Love are DLC is hurting me.
I'll give it a while and see how DLC comes along.

Does anyone know what the selection of songs for purchase is like? If the songs are cheaper or there's more of them, this could still be better than Singstar.

I won't buy the game unless they add wireless mic support to Rock Band though.

IGN Review: 6.8.

yea ill grab it if they have support for wifi mic's in anything other than lips. I have a ps3 and xbox 360 so i might go with the ps3 sing game singstar? sucks though i really want lips

For me, karaoke's purely a social event. It's not just about the singing; it's about the performance. After all, what good's singing all the right notes if you can't jump on a table and dance? That's exactly why Lips is so remarkable -- it goes beyond singing by encouraging spirited performances in an beautifully designed and nonthreatening environment.
At first glance, Lips' core gameplay resembles most karaoke titles, with familiar pitch markers over (usually) original music videos, while huge typeface lyrics with sing-along bouncing balls fill the bottom of the screen for more experienced crooners. You're not penalized for singing poorly, but you'll build up your Star Scream meter by singing with good pitch and rhythm and by shaking the accelerometer-enabled wireless microphone in time with the music. When this gauge is filled, you can kick off Star Stream mode by striking an (often hilarious) onscreen pose, allowing you to earn stars that increase your overall rank in the game.

Click the image above to check out all the Lips screens.

For better or worse, Lips has no real punitive element (unless you count Time Bomb mode, where you repeatedly extinguish a fuse through the quality of your performance). You could sing terribly or not at all and still complete songs, with the only punishment being a slower advancement of your rank. So while there's disappointingly little incentive to play the game alone unless you just love singing, features like jump-in co-op (by shaking the second mic at any time), pressing buttons on the 360 controllers to add percussion, and the ability to sing along to your own library of music (sans lyrics, of course) make Lips very much a party game. And it's good enough to really turn a party out the way that Rock Band can, especially by creating custom playlists or letting the game's song filters choose your tunes in Jukebox mode.
Given the stellar performance mechanics and butter-smooth ultramodern presentation, it's a major letdown that the setlist offers just 40 tracks -- and moreover, the selection's all over the place. From '80s pop to rock to country to R&B to rap, Lips attempts to cover all the bases -- with not enough of any particular type to hold the interest of particular genre enthusiasts. That's a problem likely to be remedied by downloadable content in the future, but it's a good idea to take a long look at the track list to decide if Lips is for you...for now. But one thing's for sure in any case: Lips is the best new karaoke platform to come along in ages.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Damn, I just don't know if I want this. I have so many games to play, but the fact that Violet Hill and No Substitute Love are DLC is hurting me.
I'll give it a while and see how DLC comes along.[/quote]
This
I'll be getting this game soon from my relative at MS so I'll let you all know. I think it's good all the songs are unlocked, KRAI is always funny with the saving for some reason.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Damn, I just don't know if I want this. I have so many games to play, but the fact that Violet Hill and No Substitute Love are DLC is hurting me.
I'll give it a while and see how DLC comes along.[/QUOTE]

didn't know DLC was available yet. Replace Violet Hill with Chasing Pavements your sentiments are on par with mine

Thats horrible.
There really isn't any advertising for the game.
We have a few copies in the back at my local Best Buy that I work at, but we don't advertise them or anything.
I hope this won't affect DLC...

[quote name='Azumangaman']I hope this won't affect DLC...[/quote]

That would be my biggest concern. I already decided I'm not even considering buying it until it drops in price and has some good DLC. The songs on the disc are worthless to me because almost all of them have already appeared on another music game. Maybe if Lips offered new music, it would compel people to open their wallets.

bread's done
Back