List of closing Best Buy stores. Real?

Wow only one closing in my whole state and of course it's in my city. I guess it's because it was like a ghost town since no one even knew it was there. I liked going to that one because they were so desperate for customers that they were always super cool and I never had problems getting a PM there. It's a shame because it's probably the nicest looking store in the city too.

Damn, this sucks. The closest store to me is on that list. Sad part is, it's a huge stand-alone building that hasn't even been open but maybe 4-5 years.

[quote name='sasukekun']Hm, hopefully some good sales will come from this.[/QUOTE]
Good sales? At a store closing sale? Nope. Not unless you can think like a regular consumer and are ok with paying MSRP or close for stuff.:whistle2:#

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Good sales? At a store closing sale? Nope. Not unless you can think like a regular consumer and are ok with paying MSRP or close for stuff.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Especially considering that the whole company isn't going under, and just certain stores. What will happen is that they'll close for a day, and just about everything of value, newer video games and consoles, Apple products, etc. will get loaded up and shipped to the next closest store staying open.

Exactly. I wouldn't even doubt if they have agreements with certain providers that their products can't be sold at lower/fire sale prices, such as the iPads for example.

I can almost guarantee that they won't fire sale the Apple products. :p

I really hope this new CEO knows his stuff. It would be nice to walk into a Best Buy and not have 50 salesmen down your throat because they can't sell stuff any other way.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']So there's ANOTHER Best Buy in Boston? There's the one I pass by near Fenway, and then ANOTHER one a mile away on Newbury St that turns out to be the one closing? Makes sense. Why did they have two so close by in the first place?[/QUOTE]

I've tried explaining the closures as well as why so many BBYs seem to be so close together but it seems like most CAGs are content with "BBY is dying, LOL!".

About a decade ago, BBY was basically outbidding Circuit City on property. The idea was to keep CC from opening new stores and letting BBY go without competition.

This worked well. People kept seeing BBYs and assumed they were doing well and in turn, spent more money at BBY (like they had a choice). But the economic downturn has hurt BBY overall, so now it's smarter for them to close 1 of 2 stores in the same proximity.

[quote name='sasukekun']Hm, hopefully some good sales will come from this.[/QUOTE]

I doubt you will find anything in East Moreno Valley, I knew that one would be closing since it's always empty!!!!! I go there to get stuff I can't find because I know it will most likely be in stock there.

There is a BB Distribution in Chino so there are chances that a lot of the high end items will go back there. The display models will probably still sell for a lot, I doubt there is anything worth to check out. I go out there seldom since it's out of my way but I guess I might pop my head in there.

Official Best Buy store closing list

22279400.png

58843055.png

17957503.png

[quote name='ZForce915']I can't remember the last time I was able to find anything in a BB B&M that I wanted to buy.[/QUOTE]

Do you remember when Best Buy was right next to Toys R' Us and Cub Foods? I used to always love going there and picking up a new CD or Dragon Ball Z VHS or looking at all the crazy horror DVDs... Hell, I even remember buying a copy of Final Fantasy VIII from that store. When they moved locations and switched to the new layout, I rarely went anymore.

Anyway, it looks like the closest store to me now that is closing is Folsom, which isn't a big deal, I guess.

Surprised that 3 are closing in MA, but not surprised at the three. Especially the Landmark Center one. Very expensive location right next to Fenway Park but I don't see it being the go-to place for buying expensive electronics since mostly college kids live right there. It was my go to best buy for years when I lived like 10 minutes away walking distance. Kind of surprised the one on Newbury Street is sticking around. After Tower Records and Virigin both left I was surprised that Best Buy has survived there. After you pick up your plasma TV you get to carry it home on the Green Line (train). Also because Newbury St. is mostly expensive trendy stores, some hair salons, and expensive cafe restaurants.

Edit:

Looking at the other list that was posted only 2 MA stores are listed and one of them is the Newbury Street one I mentioned. Another store bites the dust at the old Tower Records. I wonder what will try to survive there now.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ROB64']I can almost guarantee that they won't fire sale the Apple products. :p

I really hope this new CEO knows his stuff. It would be nice to walk into a Best Buy and not have 50 salesmen down your throat because they can't sell stuff any other way.[/QUOTE]
That's not how it is at every store. Usually unless I actively go looking for employees I can't find a single one if I have an issue I need help on. Does it matter to me? Not really. Like I always tell them, if I need help I'll find you.

But most of the time the overeager salesmen are only that eager due to being told to do so by loss prevention. After all, what shoplifter is gonna try stealing from a store if the salespeople are up their ass every half second?

Well, my venture to Westwood today was fairly predictable -- most of the good stuff was long gone (i.e., the massive wall/stocks of TVs disappeared, with only a few Dynex models left) to another store or warehouse or whatever. I did see a couple non-discounted game systems (a couple Vita, couple Xbox 360s) there, and even some of the smaller iPods (minis). But you could tell the store had been gutted in terms of stock. Very few things even at the 20% off, I think I saw PC Games were. *Some* massively overstocked video games (Madden, Need for Speed: The Run, etc) were 10% off, as were GPS accessories, some PC accessories and a few other random things.

Looked like most Blurays/etc went back to MSRP to prepare for the "30% OFF!!!!!!!!!" hype :p

[quote name='Vinny']I've tried explaining the closures as well as why so many BBYs seem to be so close together but it seems like most CAGs Monday morning armchair quarterback company analyst bloggers are content with "BBY is dying, LOL!".[/quote]

Fixed. It's not just on CAG I see this but on other sites as well. BBY has some logical reasons why to do this move. It's not like as if BBY decided to pull the plug on these 50 stores without having an strategy in mind on why its happening. Yeah its sad knowing regardless of how many people BBY will try to reshuffle to other stores that in fact some people will lose jobs because of this. On the other hand if BBY doesn't do this now then not doing moves like closing these bigger stores that aren't needed will hurt the company greatly in the long run.

I do hope that if anything BBY does in fact end any and all leases they have on the sites of these stores. From my understanding CC didn't do this when they closed stores which costed CC millions if not close to billions in unnecessary spending.

About a decade ago, BBY was basically outbidding Circuit City on property. The idea was to keep CC from opening new stores and letting BBY go without competition.

This worked well. People kept seeing BBYs and assumed they were doing well and in turn, spent more money at BBY (like they had a choice). But the economic downturn has hurt BBY overall, so now it's smarter for them to close 1 of 2 stores in the same proximity.

Well that and CC's own incompetence is what sent CC to their grave. Between keeping Philip Schoonover in charge for way too long, pulling out of appliance sales during the housing boom in the early 2000's, the DIVX debacle, cutting commissions on 2/5/03 ("Bloody Wednesday"), layoffs on 3/28/07 ("Black Wednesday"), lawsuits over false advertising/misleading warranty information/unfair arbitration agreements with employees... and yeah let's not forget advertising products but stores only getting say ONE of that said product in the whole week.

Not to mention an computer system that was an relic back in the 1980s yet somehow CC continued to use it until the final days as in DPS. Using celebrities in ads that most people don't care about such as Dick Butkus.... or horrible uses of celebrities such as Rihanna. That Rihanna CC ad was terrible. Oh and like I mentioned still paying rent on closed store sites... which yeah that alone costed CC tons of money. One of CC's last marketing pushes to get people into the store was the whole "One Price Promise" thing as well. Nothing screams desperation more then promoting an policy that most people take for granted. Not to mention having poster, flyers, cards, etc all advertising this in the store with the most Photoshopped yet still "blah meh" woman in existence all over the ads.

Edit: Oops I also forgot the expected ones such as confusing store layout, no employees around to ring people up, bad organization of media, out of stock issues (yeah said that once already but bears repeating), out of dated pricing, exclusively Verizon Wireless for cellphone sales which was a big deal to some people, and so on and so forth.

OH AND FIREDOG! Yeah... Circuit City's answer to Geek Squad with a name that sounds like anything but tech services. Trust me I've heard just about every assumption of what Firedog is, was, and could be from people ranging from the latest Hollywood blockbuster, CC's hot dog brand, mega up and coming rock band, Nintendo's latest video game, etc. The name alone pretty much... well.... #EpicFail.

So yeah while Best Buy did have a part in CC's demise its more on CC then anything else.

In closing I stumbled upon this article by The Consumerist written right when James "Tourniquet" Marcum took over as acting CEO. One line in particular makes me laugh...

Does anyone get that good feeling that they get in BB when they walk into Circuit City? No.

Quite funny how now the Monday morning armchair quarterback company analyst bloggers back in 2007 seem to be nothing but praise towards Best Buy now in 2012 are all now treating Best Buy the way they were treating CC back in 2007. Quite funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first store on the closing list (Casa Grande) was where I worked until about 4 months ago. I went in there yesterday to show support to my former co-workers, and it was black friday busy with people buying things that weren't marked down a single penny and that were in fact on sale last week at cheaper prices. I just don't get it...

[quote name='SierraNight']The first store on the closing list (Casa Grande) was where I worked until about 4 months ago. I went in there yesterday to show support to my former co-workers, and it was black friday busy with people buying things that weren't marked down a single penny and that were in fact on sale last week at cheaper prices. I just don't get it...[/QUOTE]

People are stupid and love a "sale." There's a furniture store around here that's been having a going out of business sale for 8 years.

Did anyone compare the real and fake list? Did the prankster get any right?

Wow, the one in Christiansburg VA is very new. It opened in either 2007 or 2008. I don't live there anymore but it used to suck having to drive up to Roanoke to go to a Best Buy before it opened.

EDIT - Nevermind, didn't see the official list.

[quote name='ROB64']I can almost guarantee that they won't fire sale the Apple products. :p

I really hope this new CEO knows his stuff. It would be nice to walk into a Best Buy and not have 50 salesmen down your throat because they can't sell stuff any other way.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, Apple still OWNS their stock until the item is sold. Best Buy is just holding it for them. They have a similar deal with BOSE as well. These are standard company practices and why they're always included with the exclusions. You really shouldn't be surprised that they wouldn't appear in this sort of sale.

Edit: On topic, none near me in GA or AL closing. Interesting.

[quote name='Halo05']Wow, the one in Christiansburg VA is very new. It opened in either 2007 or 2008. I don't live there anymore but it used to suck having to drive up to Roanoke to go to a Best Buy before it opened.

EDIT - Nevermind, didn't see the official list.[/QUOTE]

Near one of the BBY that is closing down in CA they had a Circuit City that had just opened up for maybe around a month before they closed it down.

[quote name='confoosious']Did anyone compare the real and fake list? Did the prankster get any right?[/QUOTE]Out of the two stores listed for the St. Louis area, Chesterfield MO and Ellisville MO, the list was right for the Ellisville store.

It was one of two stores in the area I assumed they'd be closing because the two stores were old layout stores and had a newer and larger store within 5-6 miles of the store being closed.

So, they had one entry right. Can't say about the other ones.

[quote name='kingryan18']nothing was discounted yesterday at the Inner harbor (baltimore) best buy.[/QUOTE]

Same with Hunt Valley yesterday, just a bunch of open box stuff.

[quote name='confoosious']
Did anyone compare the real and fake list? Did the prankster get any right?[/QUOTE]

The fake list had the wrong downtown Boston located listed- the fake list had Park Dr, the real one closing is Newbury St. I believe they were right on the Wareham, MA store though.

bread's done
Back