List of Online Video Game Rentals Sites

sandwiches99

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Thought I'd start a thread about online video game rentals sites. I haven't tried them all so I don't know if they are legit, but list your experiences with any or feel free to add any that aren't on this list.

www.gamefly.com
Free trial: 10 days
+ Best game selection
+ Great customer service
- Slightly more expensive ($21.95/2 games)
- Two game limit

Inglewood, CA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.gplay.com (formerly called www.govojo.com)

Oakland, CA
Service allows 1 game out for $13.95 per month, the Silver Service allows 2 games out for $19.95 per month, and the Gold

Service allows 3 games out for $29.95 per month.

www.nextrental.com
+ Cheap ($15/2 games)
- Game selection is not bad, but not as good as gamefly's
Navigation/search could be better

Game Rental up to 2 games out at any time: $15.00 per month
Game Rental up to 3 games out at any time: $20.00 per month

Next Rental
P.O. Box 908
Brea, CA 92822-9970
phone no: 866 348 2800
www.veegeez.com
Free trial: 2 weeks (2 GAMES ONLY)

$19.95/2 games
$24.95/3 games
$29.95/4 games
$34.95/5 games
$39.95/6 games

VeeGeeZ
P.O. Box 802767
Santa Clarita, CA
91380-2767
Toll Free: 1-866-VeeGeeZ
www.numbthumb.com
Free trial: 14 days
Note: If you decide to cancel, you must have all games returned to NumbThumb Games before the 14 day free trial ends to avoid being charged for one month of service. Billing is automatic and you will not receive a refund for partial time periods.

Plan 1 allows members to have 1 game out at a time for only $13.95/month.*
Plan 2 allows members to have 2 games out at a time for $21.95/month.*

NumbThumb Games
PO Box 81681
Austin, TX 78708-1681
Phone 512.248.8567
www.triggerfingers.com
Free trial: 3 (three) weeks

Mini Plan For $14.95 (Colorado Residents Outside of Aurora, CO add 3.7% tax, Inside Aurora add 7 .45% tax) /month you can have 2 games out at a time.
Economy Plan For $19.95 (Colorado Residents Outside of Aurora, CO add 3.7% tax, Inside Aurora add 7 .45% tax) /month you can have 3 games out at a time.
Mid-Sized Plan For $24.95 (Colorado Residents Outside of Aurora, CO add 3.7% tax, Inside Aurora add 7 .45% tax) /month you can have 4 games out at a time.
Luxury Plan For $29.95 (Colorado Residents Outside of Aurora, CO add 3.7% tax, Inside Aurora add 7 .45% tax) /month you can have 5 games out at a time.

Plus Plan In addition to any game rental plan you can add the ability to rent a game console. For $19.95 (Colorado Residents Outside of Aurora, CO add 3.7% tax, Inside Aurora add 7 .45% tax) /month and a refundable $100 deposit you can have 1 game console of your choice out at a time.

Denver, Colorado
www.gamelender.com
$19.99/2 games
$23.99/3 games
$31.99/5 games

Gamelender, LLC
P.O. Box 20820
San Jose, CA 95160

Phone: 1-866-5-GAMERS (542-6377)
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Pacific Standard Time
www.deepshark.com

DeepShark.com LLC
32 Campville RD.
Northfield CT 06778
phone: 860.283.8895
fax: 212.202.6214

www.gamesforrent.com
Free trial: 2 weeks
We offer three different plans. A 12- month plan (prepaid) which is $180.00 a year ($15.00 per month). A 6-month plan

(prepaid) which is $108.00 billed every 6 months ($18.00 per month), and a month to month plan which is $19.99 per month.

GamesforRent
844 Broad St.
Newark, NJ 07102
www.gamerang.com

The individual/initial membership is $14.95/month, $19.95 for a double membership, and each additional membership is an additional $7.95/month. There is no limit on the number of additional memberships.

P.O. BOX 1410
Costa Mesa, CA 92628
Tel: (714) 979-5979
Fax: (714) 434-0660
[email protected]

www.turbogamer.com

Mach 1 which allows one game out at a time for $14.95/month
Mach 2 allows up to 2 games out at a time for $19.95/month (our free trial uses this program)
Mach 3 allows up to 3 games out at any given time for $24.95/month
Mach 4 allows up to 4 games out at any given time for $29.95/month

Michigan
www.rentzero.com
Free trial: 14 days (1 GAME ONLY)

Silver: $15.95/1 game
Gold: $21.95/2 games
Platinum: $27.95/3 games

Houston, TX
www.zdag.com

[Silver] $14.00 a month for unlimited rentals with 2 Discs out at a time.
[Gold] $20.00 a month for unlimited rentals with 3 Discs out at a time.
[Best] $25.00 a month for unlimited rentals with 4 Discs out at a time.
[Platinium] $30.00 a month for unlimited rentals with 5 Discs out at a time.
[Jumbo] $39.00 a month for unlimited rentals with 7 Discs out at a time.

Currently, ZDAG is serving from one Distribution Center in Santa Clara, California. Soon we will have two more Centers - One

in Boston and one in Indianapolis Area.
www.getanygame.com
$20/2 games
Notes: Unique "temporarily donate your game" feature, get $2 each time it is rented

Southern California

I feel the following are hardly worth mentioning because there are better services listed above:
www.redoctane.com
The G5 Rental Program costs $39.95/month.
The G3 Rental Program costs $23.95/month.
The G2 Rental Program costs $18.95/month.
There is a 8% sales tax charge for California resident and 7.5% for Minnesota resident.

Sunnyvale, California
www.rentagame.net
Basic - $14.95 [1 game out]
Premium - $19.95 [2 games out]
Platinum - $24.95 [3 games out]
www.angelgamer.com
$14.95/1 game
$19.95/2 games
www.playersc.com
1 Title out at a Time $14.95
2 Titles out at a Time $19.95
3 Titles out at a Time $24.95
4 Titles out at a Time $29.95
5 Titles out at a Time $34.95

Avoid Deepshark at all costs even if you live on east coast!
BuyRite and Deepshark are nominated as SCAMMING game companies.

Redoctane is not that bad they have Ps1 & DC

Another online company I've heard of is numbthumb.com out of TX.

Post your experiences to help others!

I was using GameFly for a little longer than the free trial period I intended to use it for. I rotated a lot of games through in the several weeks I was using it, and it helped me make my mind up about buying or not buying a few titles. If I hadn't come across Cheap Ass Gamer, I might still be a member, but I ended up with too many games on hand to play. No sense in renting additional ones.

[quote name='games2003']Avoid Deepshark at all costs even if you live on east coast!
BuyRite and Deepshark are nominated as SCAMMING game companies.

Redoctane is not that bad they have Ps1 & DC

Another online company I've heard of is numbthumb.com out of TX.

Post your experiences to help others![/quote]

Anyone else verify if Deepshark is a scam? I am still looking for a good east coast rental site and had Deepshark in mind.

i tried gamefly, started the trial on monday, got the 2 games on friday, returned one on sat, they didnt register receiving it until Thurs, by which time I had already cancelled the 10 day trial (im in new york)
it would be nice to have an east coast distribute to get a netflix-like turnaround - having the game be in transit near 10 days total would be unacceptable if i had paid for it

I love Gamfely, great service, you always get new release games everytime and buying games from them is cheap and great condition.

I was thinking of using gamefly but I didn't know about the 21.95$ per month and the 2 game only limit. They tricked me, those mangy ass scoundrels, they said right on their site, "however many you want, in and out, for 21.95$ a month!" now knowing me i'd probably return each in 2-3 days since i'm an obsessive gamer once i first get a game, (aka beat time crisis 2 tonight when i first got the gun) heh but i cheated by standing right in front of the screen... damn hippies anyways, They tricked me and i wil never love them again. :( liars :cry:
--ok, so maybe i realize i'm a little twisted.

I've been using gamefly for a few months and I gotta say, its great. Even when one game was lost in the mail getting sent to me, the service was great and they sent a new one out the same day, no questions asked (I eventually received it 3 weeks later and returned it to gamefly). Of course, only problem is I live in NJ, and they are in CA, which takes at least 4-5 days to get to me. So when you send a game back, don't expect a new one for 10 days.

I wanted to maybe look into gamesforrent.com since it is local, but like everything else in Newark, it looks a little to ghetto.

to x0thedeadzone0x: How did Gamefly trick you again? I don't quite understand.

to jalu6: gamesforrent.com is legit. Their selection is decent, but I don't think they ship their games out as fast as Gamefly. I'm not sure what takes them so long. In the end though, if you are on the East Coast it may be a little quicker for the USPS to deliver the games. I agree the site looks pretty ghetto. Anyway, try it out and see.

We definitely need to find an East Coast rental place though. Maybe we should start our own.

Wow that's a lot of info. And a lot more video game rental sites than I knew existed!
It looks like, pricewise and featurewise, Triggerfingers and Zdag look the best. Especially with Zdag opening two more distro centers ["soon"] that are more centrally located.

[quote name='dtcarson']Wow that's a lot of info. And a lot more video game rental sites than I knew existed!
It looks like, pricewise and featurewise, Triggerfingers and Zdag look the best. Especially with Zdag opening two more distro centers ["soon"] that are more centrally located.[/quote]

I started looking around for a good rental site and ended up uncovering all these rental sites. I figured I'd let everyone know that there are other options out there.

Did anyone try Zdag yet?

Daphatty - Good idea. Defender--you hear that? Start an online rental company. You'd get almost all of the east coast market.

I live in Thousand oaks, CA and gamefly gets games to me in a day and when i mean a day i mean it says shipped on there website at 5 pm on monday and its at my house at 10 am tuesday

But they are only about an hour drive from my location so the bottleneck is the usps lol

tried out gplay

This service blows

slow shipping

barely any games in stock

The games you get are always scratched big radial scratching thats hard to fix and bad for you console's laser

gamefly and veegeez discs looked new

Veegeez is pretty good though fast shiping good amount of games in stock (not as many as gamefly)

Has anyone tried zdag yet? They got great prices but the site looks shady and no free trial.

I hate renting games. After I rent a game, I usually won't buy it, even if I like it cuz I've played it out so much. *crys about Kingdom Hearts*

I poked around on the web and here and made a list of all of the web sites I could find that offer video game rentals online and deliver them via postal mail in the U.S. The list probably isn't complete, but I think it covers most of the services.

http://members.aol.com/hij/online_videogame_rentals.html

The only things I could definitively specify for every service were the pricing plans. I might fill in the blank areas in time, but for now I mostly wanted to be able to compare the price structures (and shipping locations) of the different services.

The one I'm looking longingly at is rentzero.com. The annual membership drops $6.00 off the monthly fee, but what happens if you pay for a year of service and they shut down the service in a few months?

I lived in California and I had tried gamefly, gamerrang and gplay with their free trial. I had the best experience with gamefly, they shipped games to me super fast within 2 days since I live close to them. Gamefly is the company I will actually pay money to join if I ever decide to join any.

Gamerang was good but their shipping was not as fast as gamefly.

Gplay is very bad. I did not receive any game in 7 days and I canceled it.

Deadzone, could you explain how gamefly cheated on you? I thought their $21.95 per month thing is for unlimited rental?

Anyone tried Numbthumb? How is it? How fast is it's shipping to California or elsewhere?

iamaceapasstoo, good job on making a review for all those onlline game rental companies. What state do you live in? I want to know so that I can estimate the time the games will arrive to California.

I tried signing up for nextrental.com twice but for some reason they denied my credit card. That same credit card works in many other sites but not on nextrental.com, I'm don't know why. Anyone tried nextrental.com before? How is it?

Does anyone have recommendations for East Coast rentals? With PSP games? :)

Such as:
GamesForRent.com
GameReplay.com

Ok here is one more for your lists that no one else has talked about yet. Intothegame.com, they are fairly new but I have had nothing but good times with them so far, fast and good games. They are also one of the cheaper sites I have found (I know they are at least 1 dollar cheaper than gamefly in every package!) check them out.

www.intothegame.com

I tried numbthumb and it is too slow for west coast. I got my first 2 games only after 2 days I joined but it took them 7 days to receive my returned games which is too slow for me. I guess it is good if you live in Texas.

I'm curious what people are saying about Gamerang. I read they have 4 shipping centers now and are opening one near my area this year. I tried them in April '04 when they only had 2 centers, and turnaround was a week or so. Customer service seems nice and they are competitively priced at 19.95 for the 2 month plan. Their "keep it" prices aren't anything spectacular though. Has anyone who lives near them gotten quick delivery? I plan on re-subscribing once they open their North Carolina center this year. (I live in the southeast).

bread's done
Back