List Your Favorite J-Pop Group/Song Here

gunm

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I have a little Japanese Itunes credit left and need suggestions on what to use it on.

I've been listening to SAKURA, mihimaru GT, m-flo, and MISIA at the moment.

hummm.......
there are so many artists (songs) I would recommend
for now

Angela Aki - This Love
OLIVIA - A Little Pain
Jyukai - Anata ga Ita Mori
Tommy heavenly6 - Pray
Tommy heavenly6 - I'm Gonna Scream+
NIRGILIS - 24 Search Light
U-ka Saegusa IN db
SOULHEAD
Sowelu
Ami Suzuki
melody.
GARNET CROW

guess I stop listing for now

edit:
just realized that I didn't list GARNET CROW.

Does Utada Hikaru qualify as J-pop? If not, then Morning Musume, BoA, & the recently defunct but controversial Sweet Kiss. :lol:

Only Jpop I listen to is FictionJunction YUUKA. Since you like M-flo you might like rip slyme. Here are rock and metal groups that are good.

Antic Cafe
Galneryus
Sex Machineguns
the pillows
X-Japan

Asian Kung-Fu Generation is pretty good. Got the song "Loop and Loop" stuck in my head right now. Also, the stuff from Morning Musume is WAY too catchy and addictive.

I mainly listen to Ayumi Hamasaki and Koda Kumi but some songs I like but others are Tommy Heavenly6, AAA(Attack All Around), and Nami Tamaki.

[quote name='jaykrue']Does Utada Hikaru qualify as J-pop? If not, then Morning Musume, BoA, & the recently defunct but controversial Sweet Kiss. :lol:[/quote]
lol, I was thinking the same thing with Passion and Hikari

J-Grind > J-Pop

See if they have any of the following:

Cock and Ball Torture
Bathtub Shitter
Birdflesh
CSSO
Flagitious Idiosyncrasy in the Dilapidation
Senseless Apocalypse

Or try some J-Noise:

Merzbow
Masonna
Boredoms
OOIOO
Melt Banana
Boris
Haino Keiji / Yoshida Tatsuya
KK Null

Those lists are good starts.

AKFG- Siren
Yaida Hitomi- over the distance
ayumi hamasaki- missunderstood
Utada hikaru- Letters, easy breezy, automatic...
Mr. Children- Houki Boushi
B'Z= splash

those are some i could think off the top of my head

[quote name='integralsmatic']AKFG- Siren
Yaida Hitomi- over the distance
ayumi hamasaki- missunderstood
Utada hikaru- Letters, easy breezy, automatic...
Mr. Children- Houki Boushi
B'Z= splash

those are some i could think off the top of my head[/QUOTE]

Personally Hikki-chan has disappointed me even though I like how her songs sound. I thought she was R&B till I read the lyrics to some of her songs translated.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Tommy february6 (infinitely better than her heavenly6 persona).[/QUOTE]

that is what I believed too before I listened to PRAY (her latest single).

Showing some old schoole love...
Southern All Stars - Ai No Kotodama
Black Biscuits - Timing
TRF - Boy Meets Girls
DnD - (almost anything)

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']J-Grind > J-Pop

See if they have any of the following:

Cock and Ball Torture
Bathtub Shitter
Birdflesh
CSSO
Flagitious Idiosyncrasy in the Dilapidation
Senseless Apocalypse

Or try some J-Noise:

Merzbow
Masonna
Boredoms
OOIOO
Melt Banana
Boris
Haino Keiji / Yoshida Tatsuya
KK Null

Those lists are good starts.[/QUOTE]

for some reason, I just don't think that a taste for groups like Morning Musume and other J-pop will translate well to Merzbow, Melt Banana, Boredoms, Boris or KK Null. Maybe it would work with OOIOO, with Feather Float specifically, and that's a huge maybe :lol:

[quote name='wbc1228']that is what I believed too before I listened to PRAY (her latest single).[/QUOTE]
I do like Pray, and it's probably the best of the heavenly6 singles, but it still doesn't touch the greatness of most of Kawase's february6 work.

[quote name='Apossum']for some reason, I just don't think that a taste for groups like Morning Musume and other J-pop will translate well to Merzbow, Melt Banana, Boredoms, Boris or KK Null. Maybe it would work with OOIOO, with Feather Float specifically, and that's a huge maybe :lol:[/quote]

Well, worth a shot. Hahaha, speaking of Merzbow, I was in a record shop today, and he dedicated one of his albums to a seal.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Well, worth a shot. Hahaha, speaking of Merzbow, I was in a record shop today, and he dedicated one of his albums to a seal.[/QUOTE]

True. I shouldn't have said anything actually...

EVERYONE GO BUY A BOREDOMS ALBUM! and the 50 cd Merzbow box set!

;)

I useta love MAX before they replaced Mina with Aki, they shoulda jus broke up

I useta love move until boulder came out, that album sucked hard.

I useta love m-flo until Lisa left, now they turned mad pop...

Luna Sea is the best j-rock band!!

Im glad they broke up, otherwise their new stuff might have sucked!

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Puffy Amiyumi. I've seen them twice in concert, and have their autographs.[/quote]

I dig it. Teen Titans theme for the win. :)

m-flo
Koda kumi (not that consistent)
MINMI (Reggae/R&B) Samuari Champloo theme
Crystal Kay (not on iTunes since she's on Sony)
Chemistry (On Sony also)
Nobuchika Eri (Ditto for sony)
Namie Amuro (From style on until present)
Utada

How did you get a Japanese iTunes credit? I look at the canadian, Japanese and UK stores and see a lot of stuff I'd want to buy

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Anything by HALCALI or Tommy february6 (infinitely better than her heavenly6 persona).[/QUOTE]

mmm for some reason i really like the closing for eureka 7 from halicali.

as for hikki chan...i always liked her but she is a little strange...i think signing with def jam and having Timbaland as her producer wasnt her style. i remember i found the CD in BB one day but it was labled under reggae.

kinda surprised no one mentioned Ayumi but then again who doesnt know her...and lets kick it a little old school with M.Revolution

[quote name='akilshohen']m-flo
Koda kumi (not that consistent)
MINMI (Reggae/R&B) Samuari Champloo theme
Crystal Kay (not on iTunes since she's on Sony)
Chemistry (On Sony also)
Nobuchika Eri (Ditto for sony)
Namie Amuro (From style on until present)
Utada

How did you get a Japanese iTunes credit? I look at the canadian, Japanese and UK stores and see a lot of stuff I'd want to buy[/quote]

Well, I got an iTunes card from a relative who lives in Japan, but I think there are personal shopping services that can pick one up on your behalf for a fee.

Rats, a number of the artists in this thread aren't on iTunes--unless I'm searching wrong.

Found a another one I'm liking: Dragon Ash.

[quote name='akilshohen']I think hikki should of stayed with her R&B style for the english album.[/QUOTE]

totally agreed....again i think Russel Simmons had her go a different way and it was the wrong way.

wasn't anyone but her. LA Reid is in charge of def Jam , and he was at the time that the album came out. She sat on that contract for a few years though, because it was announced when KH1 came out in the US.

Can anyone recomend some good female jpop/jrock artists? A few artists I like are The Pink Panda's, Puffy Amiyumi, and Tommy February6. I prefer stuff that is really catchy and poppy or a lot harder/more rock like as long as it has female vocals. Don't really like a lot of stuff that's in the middle.

A realy good J-Rock bands is a group called Ex-Girl, it's an all female rock band I saw a few years back and they were amazing.

Also a realy good Japanese hardcore band is the Mad Capsule Markets, goddamn I wish thier albums didn't cost so much to import.

[quote name='JEKKI']

Luna Sea is the best j-rock band!!

Im glad they broke up, otherwise their new stuff might have sucked![/quote]

I always wonder about that...The solo careers really show who was writing what when they were together, and so the solo stuff is also getting bland. At least with J it is. I loved Inoran's solo stuff tho...

I think I'm burned out on B'z though, my first j-rock band. Got all the legit albums (cept the last one), saw a show, my life's complete. I'm done with j-goth/Mana and almost ready to stop giving vk a shot anymore. Acidman's the last j-rock band i remember liking a lot, and the last CD i bought was from...I think nil.

globe is the only "j-pop" i can admit to owning/liking.

[quote name='jimbodan']Can anyone recomend some good female jpop/jrock artists? A few artists I like are The Pink Panda's, Puffy Amiyumi, and Tommy February6. I prefer stuff that is really catchy and poppy or a lot harder/more rock like as long as it has female vocals. Don't really like a lot of stuff that's in the middle.[/QUOTE]

Do As Infinity
Yuki Kimura
Ayumi Hamasaki
Morning Musume
RYTHEM
Every Little Thing
Mika Nakashima
Day After Tomorrow

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Do As Infinity
Yuki Kimura
Ayumi Hamasaki
Morning Musume
RYTHEM
Every Little Thing
Mika Nakashima
Day After Tomorrow[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Do As Infinity
Yuki Kimura
Ayumi Hamasaki
Morning Musume
RYTHEM
Every Little Thing
Mika Nakashima
Day After Tomorrow[/quote]
I can also recommend all these groups. Have them all in my iRiver and listen to them often.

Also wanted to add Hitomi, Hitomi Yaida, and Dream for female pop groups/singers.

I needed some new music, so I'll definitely check out some of the other groups listed here. Not to hijack the thread, but I need some new JRock too. Really like Janne Da Arc, Luna Sea, and Kagrra. Any rec's?

I figured I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread....

I just discovered some music I am REALLY liking from Heartsdales and Emi Hinouchi as well as Soulhead (that I mentioned earlier). Is there any music service that sells these songs or a reputable non-auction site to buy CDs?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I figured I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread....

I just discovered some music I am REALLY liking from Heartsdales and Emi Hinouchi as well as Soulhead (that I mentioned earlier). Is there any music service that sells these songs or a reputable non-auction site to buy CDs?[/QUOTE]
CDJapan.co.jp
Amazon.co.jp
YesAsia.com
Play-Asia.com

As for music services, I'm not too sure, sorry.

bread's done
Back