Listen Up!!! Samsung BDP-1200 Blu-Ray Player $110 at Sears!!!

thextreme1

CAGiversary!
I am guessing your mileage will vary. I walked into Sears with the wife, not actually looking for a Blu-Ray player. For some reason, I decided to ask if any were on sale. The girl went to the register for a few minutes, came back and said that the Samsung BDP-1200 was $110. Of course, I did a double take and figured they were $110 off, so I asked her again and she said it was indeed $110. Needless to say I sprung right for it. Now this was the floor model, but it was mint and came with the remote and manual.

There is a review here: http://www.avrev.com/equip/samsung_bdp1200_bluray/index.html

Basically this was one of the best players on the market last year with Dolby Digital Plus(TrueHD) and true 1080p via HDMI. It also has an ethernet port for upgrades and has one of the fastest load times on the market.

Check the review for more. This player was originally $599. Hope someone else can find this great deal!

[quote name='chrisnsally']somebody posted finding the same thing at their sears on slickdeals earlier this AM. What Sears did you find yours at?[/QUOTE]

At the Center At Salisbury in Salisbury, MD.

[quote name='thextreme1']At the Center At Salisbury in Salisbury, MD.[/quote]

lol, my parents have a few houses in Crisfield...what a boring 20 minute stretch of road

Alot of negative reviews about this player on Amazon. It's a shame too because this would have been the fantastic deal for a Blu-Ray player for myself.

[quote name='Sporadic']Alot of negative reviews about this player on Amazon. It's a shame too because this would have been the fantastic deal for a Blu-Ray player for myself.[/QUOTE]

For $110, I'm not going to let some negs mess with me.

Sometimes, reviews are stupid. Maybe there are legit complaints, but the price is fantastic.

[quote name='Sporadic']Alot of negative review about this player on Amazon. It's a shame too because this would have been the fantastic deal for a Blu-Ray player for myself.[/quote]

I was almost tempted to drive down to Sears for this, but after reading all the negative reviews about problems with new releases on different sites, I think I might pass also. Tis a shame though considering this can output DD+ and Dolby TrueHD. Guess I could see if Sears has it and if a disc doesn't work, just use the PS3 until new firmware is released..

[quote name='Crichton']I was almost tempted to drive down to Sears for this, but after reading all the negative reviews about problems with new releases on different sites, I think I might pass also. Tis a shame though considering this can output DD+ and Dolby TrueHD. Guess I could see if Sears has it and if a disc doesn't work, just use the PS3.[/QUOTE]

It apparently takes updates, so maybe some of the problems can be fixed. Who really knows though.

[quote name='opportunity777']For $110, I'm not going to let some negs mess with me.

Sometimes, reviews are stupid. Maybe there are legit complaints, but the price is fantastic.[/QUOTE]

I'd agree if there weren't multiple reviews reporting the same thing.

First, I am not a big Samsung fan to begin with. Other reviewers are correct about the firmware updating. It seems like I'm doing it every couple weeks. It is indeed fair to complain about this.

That being said, this is still a REALLY GOOD VIDEO PLAYER. If you want to put up with firmware upgrading, which is not that hard for anyone on the internet, then this player may have the best picture out there. I had the BD-P1000 and dumped it on its horrible deinterlacing qualities. I could not stand looking at all the "jaggies" on a 56" screen. So I read about the 1200 and how it included the Silicon Optix HQV REON Chip which was not on the 1000 (nor the 1400 either). The picture obviously blows the 1000 away and it is near flawless on a lot of well transfered movies. If you don't believe me then do a web search on the REON HQV chip. The newer 1400 is rumored to have less playback issues than the 1200 but it does NOT include the REON chip. Maybe the REON chip is to blame for finicky playback but the video quality is just too good to give it up, for me. The model up, which i believe is the 2400, does have it.

So if you can put up with updating the firmware (which has fixed the problems) then the BD-P1200 is one of the best HD playback machines out there (picture quality-wise). I'm taking one star off review for the firmware updating but picture quality is five stars.

(Update in review 1-2-08). It may be better to stay away from this player. It does have the best video processing out there but it will not play many new bluray discs of late. The company seems to not be making new firmware for the discs to work either. It is almost like every Tuesday, new discs come out and will not play in the 1200. I would just avoid Samsung in general for ignoring customers with 1200 problems.

A $110 player is nice but what's the point of getting one if it can't play new releases?

[quote name='opportunity777']It apparently takes updates, so maybe some of the problems can be fixed. Who really knows though.[/quote]

Indeed. Does anyone have any information about the firmware updates?

And having spent a lot of times on Newegg over the years, I agree 100% that user reviews are about as useless as humanly possible. Most people do not understand technology and just complain about things that can easily be fixed, if they took the time to research. Not saying that that is necessarily the case here, but I still do not pay attention to user reviewers. I do all I can to find professional (hopefully up-to-date) information.

[quote name='Sporadic']I'd agree if there weren't multiple reviews reporting the same thing.

A $110 player is nice but what's the point of getting one if it can't play new releases?[/QUOTE]

wow, yeah i was about to go hunt around for one, but that is like buying a TV that you can only watch reruns from 2006, or sports from 2007 or whatnot. that would be frustrating as hell to own one of those, of course they are clearancing them out

[quote name='Sporadic']I'd agree if there weren't multiple reviews reporting the same thing.

A $110 player is nice but what's the point of getting one if it can't play new releases?[/QUOTE]

I think that is over-stated. In discussions I have read, one guy said that 78 of his 80 blu-ray discs, including new ones, work just fine. They say they rushed the newest firmware out in order to appease customers and are working on a true update as we speak.

Hell, for $110, you cant go wrong. Especially if they do a true update and fix these problems. Other than the spotty disc issue, everyone says this is the best blu-ray player on the market. The picture quality is second to none.

I am willing to live with the occasional disc error as long as I know that Samsung is working to fix known issues.

I would've been tempted to buy this if it was equal to or better than the PS3's but I'm not sure it is. The 5 free :br: is what would have made me want to buy it though :)

The old profile Blu-ray players will still play all the new profile 1.1 discs; they just won't be able to take advantage of the new features.

Being that this unit has an ethernet port, I don't see why it wouldn't be updatable.

The only HD player I've heard of having trouble playing some movies was the 360 HD-DVD add-on (which reported some problems with Children of Men, and a couple others, but not for everybody).

[quote name='WiiDSmoker']why would they make a player that is not compatible with movies...not sure i follow this logic[/QUOTE]

All movies will work with 1.0 profile players. However not all the enhancements that will be part of the 1.1/2.0 profile will work with 1.0 players. The good news however is that the biggest selling Bluray player will be upgradeable to the 1.1 and 2.0 profiles... as in the PS3.

[quote name='Demolition Man']All movies will work with 1.0 profile players. However not all the enhancements that will be part of the 1.1/2.0 profile will work with 1.0 players. The good news however is that the biggest selling Bluray player will be upgradeable to the 1.1 and 2.0 profiles... as in the PS3.[/QUOTE]

If the PS3 wasn't compatible with the newest profiles, then Sony would look like total shit, considering, BR is their own format.

[quote name='opportunity777']If the PS3 wasn't compatible with the newest profiles, then Sony would look like total shit, considering, BR is their own format.[/quote]

Sony did not create Blu-Ray. It was a joint technology created by most of the members on the board of the Blu-Ray Disc Association.

[quote name='Krayon']Sony did not create Blu-Ray. It was a joint technology created by most of the members on the board of the Blu-Ray Disc Association.[/QUOTE]

I meant specifically their format on the PS3, and the format they are supporting until the bitter end.

I should have been more clear.

[quote name='opportunity777']If the PS3 wasn't compatible with the newest profiles, then Sony would look like total shit, considering, BR is their own format.[/QUOTE]

:) Very true. Once again, this player is upgradeable via firmware. So new profiles, as in 1.1/2.0 should be available. It is all up to Samsung to push it to people. I am updating my firmware as we speak. I will enjoy every movie I play on this, if there is the occasional movie that doesnt play... So be it. I will email Samsung all of my findings. That is how Pirates Of The Caribbean 3 was made to work, along with other movies. The only movie everyone seems to have a problem with this player not playing is 3:10 TO Yuma. That movie alone seems to have everyone hating this player.

I understand people having an attitude with the player not playing everything, but when the firmware matures completely, I think people will realize just how awesome this player really is and how lucky they were to get it at such a bargain price. I do feel bad for those who spent $600 on it, they are probably the people causing the biggest stir. Us lucky people who picked it up for $110 or less, really have nothing to bitch about.

well at that price, being a floor model and another person getting a ("we dont have that in our inventory") message, its a clerance item that the store is likely no longer carrying. VERRY YMMV as its a matter of (is the floor model already sold or not).

good find though, brings back memories of some dam good deals i use to put up while working at sears back in the day.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2008/02/08/Samsung_Blu-Ray_Players_Called_Defective.htm

I can just imagine more lawsuits as the new BD1.1 and BD2.0 discs get released. Since most of the retailers have been more than a little dishonest to customers about blu-ray standalone players. And the comment from the BDA rep at CES about "early adopters knew what they were getting into". Personally companies that jumped out and produced BD players before a final standard was released deserve what fallout develops.

[quote name='blackdog60'] Since most of the retailers have been more than a little dishonest to customers about blu-ray standalone players. [/QUOTE]

Back that claim up.

I love it when companies don't standardize specs before coming out with the technology. Sony came out with Blu-ray with the attitude of "we'll figure out all the kinks later."

This thread is the epitome of the saying "to good to be true."

To the poster that said that he's not worried about the player because he will just e-mail Samsung about all the incompatibilities, good luck with that. Samsung is getting sued due to the lack of support for their BD players. Unless the issue gets resolved anyone that buys this player is buying a $110 dollar paperweight.

Save the $110, wait and save some more money and buy the PS3. Unfortunately because of Sony's fuck up with Blu-ray specs and shitty companies not providing enough support for their players the consumers get fucked.

I went to the Sears near me, (St. Louis, MO; Jamestown Mall), and they didn't have any Blu-ray players for sale. Anyone find one in St. Louis?

[quote name='Gorge']I love it when companies don't standardize specs before coming out with the technology. Sony came out with Blu-ray with the attitude of "we'll figure out all the kinks later."

This thread is the epitome of the saying "to good to be true."

To the poster that said that he's not worried about the player because he will just e-mail Samsung about all the incompatibilities, good luck with that. Samsung is getting sued due to the lack of support for their BD players. Unless the issue gets resolved anyone that buys this player is buying a $110 dollar paperweight.

Save the $110, wait and save some more money and buy the PS3. Unfortunately because of Sony's fuck up with Blu-ray specs and shitty companies not providing enough support for their players the consumers get fucked.[/QUOTE]

HD-DVD FTW! :twoguns:

[quote name='techstar25']HD-DVD FTW! :twoguns:[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to get into that, however I will say that as an owner of both, although Blu-ray has better titles (by a mile) the quality of some of the HD-DVD discs leave something to be desired from some Blu-ray releases. The Disney Blu-ray's are amazing, however fox needs to get it's act together and put some good features on their discs. The sole reason I don't own Die Hard 1 or 3 is because of the disappointing extra features.

I also went to:

Northwest Plaza: the guy said he sold the last one yesterday

Alton Square Mall: They were sold out

[quote name='POG']Wait...isn't this the model that Samsung is being sued over? http://www.tvpredictions.com/samsung020808.htm

That could be why its dirt cheap.

I wouldn't buy this player....even for 100 bucks.

-joseph[/QUOTE]

Actually, the law suit could be a blessing in disguise. If it is found that Samsung knew about these problems before release and released it anyways, which is obvious. It could lead to them being forced to update the firmware to include new specs, if possible. If not, it would have to be either a refund for the player or replacement with a comparable player(Spec-wise).

I am interested to see how this plays out in court.

Edit: I just read the whole law suit and Samsung is screwed. I say to anyone on this board... Buy up!!! Samsung is going to have to fix your player or update the firmware to industry-wide standards in the coming months or they will have to buy back each and every one of our machines. This law suit is very specific for this player and it seems as though Samsung has no ground to stand on.

The lawyers are representing each and every one of us in this case. I imagine that Samsung is already working on a firmware update to fix all of the problems, thus to avoid this litigation. Otherwise, it is going to cost the company billions, as their Blu-ray players make up for 32% of all machines sold.

Buy, buy , buy!!!

Went to Sears today in Evansville, IN. Wasn't able to get it for $110.....but I did get it for $92.77!! There was only one left and I could tell the sales clerk totally wanted it for himself when he scanned the price.

[quote name='agapens']Went to Sears today in Evansville, IN. Wasn't able to get it for $110.....but I did get it for $92.77!! There was only one left and I could tell the sales clerk totally wanted it for himself when he scanned the price.[/QUOTE]

Good job! Great deal for a player that is top of the line and once Samsung loses the suit, you will be blissfully enjoying the great picture with Dolby TrueHD for less than $100!!! While others will pay $300 to $1000 for a lesser machine.

Enjoy!

I still havent watched a blu-ray disc. I am guessing Wednesday, either Blockbuster or Netflix will have one sitting in my mailbox.

lawsuits usually take a LONG time.....i'm predicting this will be decided 2 years from now w/possibly a settlement that nobody will remember

so buying this in the hopes of a future upgrade is...not smart. matter of fact, the odds are nobody will know about this lawsuit and samsung could even lose a few dollars (i highly doubt they'll pay more than 10k in this situation) OR it will be dropped when the people behind the lawsuit lawyers' start wanting more fee money

basically, buy the smart choice in this situation - the bluray computer drive or a ps3. don't buy this in hopes of the future. there's a reason why this is discounted...

I don't have a surround sound setup so I don't particularly care about trueHD. I know I'm totally getting what I pay for. I'm not stupid enough to expect that a 92 dollar player will last me the next 10 years. I wanted a CHEAP way to play blu-ray discs until the prices of the players come out of the stratosphere. And I don't want a PS3......sheesh.

Would pick this up no problem if it was profiel 2.0 (Goes in a corner and cries why why cant you just release it already HD DVD already has it wah wah)

Decided to try to pick up this at the Sears in St. Peters, MO. They didn't have any beside the floor model, so I decided to get that. Total with tax, $99.xx. Not too bad.

Run away from this player guys. I think this is one of the main players involved in the recent lawsuit. I hope Samsung's latest and future FW updates resolves playback issues because if so, $110 is a steal so long as every disc works

[quote name='cuco33']Run away from this player guys. I think this is one of the main players involved in the recent lawsuit. I hope Samsung's latest and future FW updates resolves playback issues because if so, $110 is a steal so long as every disc works[/QUOTE]

The newest firmware update, which I am positive came out as a result of the lawsuit being filed, fixes some major releases. The thing is, most movies do work. As far as future releases, we will see, though I do feel that this lawsuit showed Samsung that the consumer will not be pushed around and it could signify a change in their attitude towards future firmware upgrades. Obviously the newest release came after they said that there would be no new firmware upgrades. So something is happening, though I am not sure how far it will be taken in making this player fully and completely functional.

I am glad I bought it though, as the price was phenomenal!

[quote name='thextreme1']The newest firmware update, which I am positive came out as a result of the lawsuit being filed, fixes some major releases. The thing is, most movies do work. As far as future releases, we will see, though I do feel that this lawsuit showed Samsung that the consumer will not be pushed around and it could signify a change in their attitude towards future firmware upgrades. Obviously the newest release came after they said that there would be no new firmware upgrades. So something is happening, though I am not sure how far it will be taken in making this player fully and completely functional.

I am glad I bought it though, as the price was phenomenal![/quote]

I hope so, for the sake of HDM. No CEM should drop support on a player that's been in the market for less than 2-3 yrs. Price is excellent though, I must say..

You don't get it....

This player CANNOT play some Blu-ray movies. This goes beyond shiny featuers like BDjava and trivia tracks. They reject particular titles. There is no firmware update to fix this (which is why there IS a lawsuit). Not only will it not play a semi-hefty list of titles already out....a lot of newer releases with even more shiny features will not be supported by this player. DO NOT buy this piece of junk hoping to get a freebie in the mail in a few weeks. Samsung will result to dragging this lawsuit out for at least 18 months. That way most people (aside from the first signatures on the lawsuit) will have junked this player and forgot about it.

Plus, if you are buying floor models and display models it is HIGHLY likely you will NOT get in on the lawsuit in the first place. Lawsuits require PROOF of purchase (including reciepts and UPC codes). Once again, there is a reason this player is only $110 bucks. Most likely it is a result of being discontinued which means they actually shouldn't be sold. In that case its Sears selling a defective product and the Samsung legislation won't hold to newer purchases.

I learned this crap the hard way.

-joseph

[quote name='POG']You don't get it....

This player CANNOT play some Blu-ray movies. This goes beyond shiny featuers like BDjava and trivia tracks. They reject particular titles. There is no firmware update to fix this (which is why there IS a lawsuit). Not only will it not play a semi-hefty list of titles already out....a lot of newer releases with even more shiny features will not be supported by this player. DO NOT buy this piece of junk hoping to get a freebie in the mail in a few weeks. Samsung will result to dragging this lawsuit out for at least 18 months. That way most people (aside from the first signatures on the lawsuit) will have junked this player and forgot about it.

Plus, if you are buying floor models and display models it is HIGHLY likely you will NOT get in on the lawsuit in the first place. Lawsuits require PROOF of purchase (including reciepts and UPC codes). Once again, there is a reason this player is only $110 bucks. Most likely it is a result of being discontinued which means they actually shouldn't be sold. In that case its Sears selling a defective product and the Samsung legislation won't hold to newer purchases.

I learned this crap the hard way.

-joseph[/QUOTE]

Well, either way it doesnt matter. This player is going to be around my house up until Pioneer releases a 200, 300 or 400 disc changer anyways. :) I have a dedicated home theater and everything is automated, except this player. So the second a changer hits the market, it will be mine. Hopefully Pioneer will include the ability to ping the internet this time for dvd covers and information, instead of manually having to type in the movie names and info. What a pain that is, especially when you have 300+ discs.

bread's done
Back