Little Advice On a Trade If You Would

Shockdrop

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (80%)
So the other day, I got a PM for a trade from a new member (finalfantasyfan101). The Details:

I get:
Batman: Arkham Asylum (360) Complete
Red Faction: Guerrilla (360) Complete

He Gets:
Bionic Commando (360) Complete
Henry Hatsworth (DS) Complete
Lunar Knights (DS) Complete

Now, while thats good, he has nothing; No posts, trades anything. New member, so ok. He linked me to his Ebay, which has good feedback and everything. I'm relatively new too, so I told him my GameTZ Account. We both have agreed to send at the same time, and his address/name does match his eBay, and it's real, but something still feels a little...off.

Or at least, IF I get scammed, since he is in Canada, what exactly do I do?

I agree with Shrike. I would certainly avoid that trade. The lack of posts, etc, seems really suspicious to me. Sure, he could be legit, but why take the chance?

Did you contact him through eBay to verify that that is, in fact, his account? Even then, it's not recommended to rely on external accounts for vouch for a person - a bad trade here will not be reflected there. Even if he scams you, his ebay account remains pristine.

Doing the trade would be fairly risky. You could easily lose 50-60 bucks worth of goods. I certainly wouldn't do it.

I'd be a bit skeptical as the trade seems a little bit one sided, also the fact that he has zero posts is also a caution flag to myself.

Well he joined recently (this month to be exact).

I want his games rather bad. We have agreed to go on general good faith in the other, which may or may not be a good idea. I've yet to contact his eBay, going to now. I wanna do the trade, and while it does seem a bit odd for what he wants, I really want his games >.>

I dont know if this would work or not but maybe you could find someone with higher feedback to be the "middle man". You could both send your games to him and than he could forward the games to each party. I know you would have to pay a little more for shipping and wait a little longer to get your games but at least this way no one could get scammed.

[quote name='Shockdrop']Well he joined recently (this month to be exact).

I want his games rather bad. We have agreed to go on general good faith in the other, which may or may not be a good idea. I've yet to contact his eBay, going to now. I wanna do the trade, and while it does seem a bit odd for what he wants, I really want his games >.>[/QUOTE]If he wasn't in Canada, it would be less of an issue. If it wasn't for that, I'd be less hesitant, though still suggesting you be wary of the situation.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Did you contact him through eBay to verify that that is, in fact, his account? Even then, it's not recommended to rely on external accounts for vouch for a person - a bad trade here will not be reflected there. Even if he scams you, his ebay account remains pristine.

Doing the trade would be fairly risky. You could easily lose 50-60 bucks worth of goods. I certainly wouldn't do it.[/QUOTE]I think this is some good advice. He offered up his eBay account as "feedback", I'd get his info from eBay and make sure it's him, OP.

I messaged him on eBay. If he says its him, im going to do the trade. But just incase, if this is a scam, what would I do, since hes canadian? Any kind of insurance I can get, or something so i get mystuff backif he does?

I do plan on getting signature confirmation though.

Also, I looked his address up on google; maps gave me a bunch of houses that seemed right, but a link gave me his address, but it was a saw mill, with a contact name of Carl Davis. So...

[quote name='Shockdrop']I messaged him on eBay. If he says its him, im going to do the trade. But just incase, if this is a scam, what would I do, since hes canadian? Any kind of insurance I can get, or something so i get mystuff backif he does?

I do plan on getting signature confirmation though.

Also, I looked his address up on google; maps gave me a bunch of houses that seemed right, but a link gave me his address, but it was a saw mill, with a contact name of Carl Davis. So...[/QUOTE]
Honestly, since he's out of the country, there's a lot less that you can do. And based on what you've been finding, even if he does respond through eBay, I still wouldn't do it. He could go ahead and scam you through here without hurting his eBay rep in the slightest.

[quote name='Shockdrop']
Also, I looked his address up on google; maps gave me a bunch of houses that seemed right, but a link gave me his address, but it was a saw mill, with a contact name of Carl Davis. So...[/QUOTE]

ahahaha a saw mill?! I'd stay away from this trade ;)

Isn't there something in the trade rules that says that a newer person should send first in a trade like this? I would not send anything until you recieve his games.

Stay away from those Canucks!! Seriously though, I've traded north of the border and it has been fine. If I was in your position I just would pass unless you can use a middleman. Which costs you more.

[quote name='Shockdrop']Also, I looked his address up on google; maps gave me a bunch of houses that seemed right, but a link gave me his address, but it was a saw mill, with a contact name of Carl Davis. So...[/QUOTE]That's enough of a reason to back away from this deal.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Isn't there something in the trade rules that says that a newer person should send first in a trade like this? I would not send anything until you recieve his games.[/QUOTE]They both have 0 feedback, so the best scenario for each one would be for each person to send at the same time.

He's trying to use his eBay feedback to try and get the OP to send first since he's done some transactions somewhere.

The more you dig into this, the more strange it seems. OP, it sounds too good to be true, so I'd walk away from it.

I agree with everything everyone else said. I would not make the trade. Canada, Saw Mill, no posts and joined this month. I think this has scam written all over it. I would not make that trade if it was me.

i agree with everyone else, scams have been happening a little too frequently over the past year...i would hold off or find someone with at least a few trades under their belt. unless you don't mind having a 50-50 chance of getting nothing, to me, even though it's a good deal, i would need to pass.

take our advice and walk away.

This is RPGguy101, who scammed me and at least one other trader on this site.

This got my attention because their usernames are so similar, but the address he gave me was to "E. Fitz" which syncs up with the information he gave you.

He's a tool and a scammer. You'll never see a thing from him.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Renaissance 2K']This is RPGguy101, who scammed me and at least one other trader on this site.

This got my attention because their usernames are so similar, but the address he gave me was to "E. Fitz" which syncs up with the information he gave you.

He's a tool and a scammer. You'll never see a thing from him.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the info. I double-checked on it, and yes, it's him.

He's been banned, so we won't be hearing from him again.

[quote name='shrike4242']Thanks for the info. I double-checked on it, and yes, it's him.

He's been banned, so we won't be hearing from him again.[/QUOTE]
Ah, cool then. Well...that solves that then, eh?!

Nice detective work. Good to see a scammer banned, maybe he will realize he can't scam on CAG anymore. Good job OP asking before you traded, very smart.

When he nailed me, he had an iTrader rating of 11 or 12 to my 1, so I didn't think twice about sending first. He strung me along for weeks saying that packages are slow getting to and coming from his place, and given his location, I didn't think twice until he was put in "Trading Time Out" because of an incident with someone else.

I never got my limited edition of Madden 09 back, but I feel a little better knowing I prevented him from getting someone else. Guys like him give the good traders a bad name, especially where Canada is concerned.

I agree with everyone else. Don't do it. Make some trades with people who have feedback and start building up your iTrader score so in the future you can tell people to ship first.

bread's done
Back