Little Big Planet - Gen. Discussion & Info

Obviously people who say that don't have much interest in platformers, and in reality, gaming, because gaming's base grew on platformers. And if you hate platformers, you hate gaming.

Anyway, I assume they'll give/take away the priviledge of pay for DLC for people depending on what they do. I don't suspect it'll be too many people that'll get the right though.

[quote name='dpatel']I'm confused as to what you're getting at. When you said "Half Life 2 didn't need it", I thought you meant it didn't allow for users to charge for their created content and it was fine without it. But, if I understand correctly, it did have something that allowed this, correct? Sorry, just trying to clarify here, not too familiar with Half Life 2.[/quote]
Okay, I guess you didn't understand that.

No, you may not charge for HL2 maps, characters, mods, total conversions, or anything made with the free Source SDK. But if you pay the tens of thousands of dollars for a Source Engine license, and use it to make a 100% original game (or one with any licensed assets cleared), then you may charge for that.

I think that if anyone wants to make money from any sort of add-on they make for a pre-existing videogame, that they should have to pay licensing fees first.

We've been fortunate enough to get user-created content in the past for free, but I think it's entirely fair for users to start charging for their content, should they choose to do so.
Mods, even top-to-bottom total conversions, have been flourishing, for free, for over a decade. I don't think that's going to change any time soon.

[quote name='KingBroly']Obviously people who say that don't have much interest in platformers, and in reality, gaming, because gaming's base grew on platformers. And if you hate platformers, you hate gaming.[/QUOTE]

Hahahahah what. So, if someone hates, for instance, old silent movies, does that mean that they also hate modern summer blockbusters?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Okay, I guess you didn't understand that.

No, you may not charge for HL2 maps, characters, mods, total conversions, or anything made with the free Source SDK. But if you pay the tens of thousands of dollars for a Source Engine license, and use it to make a 100% original game (or one with any licensed assets cleared), then you may charge for that.[/QUOTE]

Ah ok. Thanks for clarifying.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I think that if anyone wants to make money from any sort of add-on they make for a pre-existing videogame, that they should have to pay licensing fees first.[/QUOTE]

Going that route sorta encourages those with cash, whereas LBP encourages those with talent. I'd much rather the developers reward the talented, rather than the ones with cash.

I also don't see how the end result would be different whether or not the user paid for a license or not. If I had to pay, I think I'd rather pay for something of quality, rather than something that cost the user more.

Mods, even top-to-bottom total conversions, have been flourishing, for free, for over a decade. I don't think that's going to change any time soon.

I never said it will. I just said I think it is fair to allow users to charge for their content. I'd much rather it be free, but I also think it's perfectly fair to sell content. I'm also confident the community will keep prices in check, assuming there are enough level creators out there. A crap level isn't going to sell to anyone, so the user will either lower the price (or make it free), or create a more quality level, which is what, I see, as a benefit.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Okay, I guess you didn't understand that.

No, you may not charge for HL2 maps, characters, mods, total conversions, or anything made with the free Source SDK. But if you pay the tens of thousands of dollars for a Source Engine license, and use it to make a 100% original game (or one with any licensed assets cleared), then you may charge for that.

I think that if anyone wants to make money from any sort of add-on they make for a pre-existing videogame, that they should have to pay licensing fees first.

Mods, even top-to-bottom total conversions, have been flourishing, for free, for over a decade. I don't think that's going to change any time soon.[/QUOTE]

The licensing fee is the 60 dollars that you're paying for the actual game.... or rather development game kit.

[quote name='Thomas96']The licensing fee is the 60 dollars that you're paying for the actual game.... or rather development game kit.[/QUOTE]

So it is essentially like LBPs system?

If it was, anyone got any experiences with it? I'm hoping that prices are reasonable with user-created content and that the majority of content will still be free.

[quote name='Thomas96']The licensing fee is the 60 dollars that you're paying for the actual game.... or rather development game kit.[/QUOTE]
Uh, the difference being that you're not allowed to charge for anything you make using the SDK that comes with the game.

[quote name='dpatel']So it is essentially like LBPs system?

If it was, anyone got any experiences with it? I'm hoping that prices are reasonable with user-created content and that the majority of content will still be free.[/QUOTE]
Um, do you know what a "mod" is?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Uh, the difference being that you're not allowed to charge for anything you make using the SDK that comes with the game.

Um, do you know what a "mod" is?[/QUOTE]

I do, but I was going off of what Thomas wrote. It sounded like, once you pay the $60 for the game, you automatically acquire the license and can now charge for content. But that's not the case?

[quote name='dpatel']I do, but I was going off of what Thomas wrote. It sounded like, once you pay the $60 for the game, you automatically acquire the license and can now charge for content. But that's not the case?[/QUOTE]

No. HL2 comes with an SDK that you can use to make maps, mods, et cetera with. Any HL2 mod you see, was made with the tools that come free with the game (except for external art programs, etc, of course), and the creators of this content may not charge for it.

Thomas was exaggerating a bit. HL2's editing tools are incredibly advanced and let you do practically anything, and you can't charge for the results, but you might be able to charge for the fruits of LBP's very simple editor...meh.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CoffeeEdge']No. HL2 comes with an SDK that you can use to make maps, mods, et cetera with. Any HL2 mod you see, was made with the tools that come free with the game (except for external art programs, etc, of course), and the creators of this content may not charge for it.

Thomas was exaggerating a bit. HL2's editing tools are incredibly advanced and let you do practically anything, and you can't charge for the results, but you might be able to charge for the fruits of LBP's very simple editor...meh.[/QUOTE]

Ah ok. Sorry I wasn't following you previously. Was just getting two different stories about HL2, and I haven't played it at all (It's in my backlog, I swear).

Anyway, the amount of effort put into the game is somewhat irrelevant to me. LBPs editor will indeed be much easier than HL2s, but it's only the end result I care about. I've been getting more enjoyment out of these little PSN/XBLA games lately than I have with the bigger releases, even though I know these smaller games were much easier to create.

I'd rather pay for quality, rather than amount of effort put into it by the developer, as the latter really has little effect on me or the end result. Although I do realize the two generally do go hand and hand, but it is entirely possibly to have a lot of one without the other (A lot of quality from a product that took little effort, or vice versa).

Game is priced and dated for Japan:

Announced for October in Europe and the USA, but without specific day, LittleBigPlanet has reached its official date for Japan: October 30, 2008, priced at 5,980 yen (36 €).

97699-sackrelease.jpg

Unless something's changed since E3, it's a full retail game. Even has boxart already:

Why else would Target be offer reservations for the game?

[quote name='mykevermin']This is coming out via PSN, right, not on a disc?

So perhaps not DLC, per se, but I'm not paying $60 for something I can't resell.[/quote]

I think originally it was supposed to come out on PSN as a downloadable game like warhawk, but now that Sony sees that everyone loves it, why not make some more money on it, right? Doesn't really matter to me because I know the game will be better than a lot of other $60 games I have bought/will even buy.

Free overnight shipping if you buy it from gamestop.com today. Apparently low-price guarantee, too, which is good since they list it at $59.99.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/08/05/littlebigplanet-pre-order-goodness/

Hey all,

We’ve been working with our North American retailers to promote the release of LittleBigPlanet in October 2008. And now that the “planning dust” has settled, we wanted to share early details of our pre-order campaign for you to decide which item you’d like. Stay tuned for much more detail on which retailer will have what pre-order item and when to go to your favorite retailer to reserve your copy.

Here’s the master list:

The Official “LittleBigPlanet Creator” MiniGuide by Brady Games
- This exclusive digital guide is a primer for LittleBIGPlanet’s CREATE tools and provides users with a quick tutorial to begin developing their own levels.”

LittleBigStickerBook
- For those of you who love to customize - this item is for you! This exclusive sticker book contains some of our favorite LBP imagery for you to apply your own ‘mash-up’ to your favorite possessions. Or take something else you own and make it your favorite!

LittleBigPouch
- Keep your LBP game safe and protected from the elements with this exclusive burlap pouch. Its so unique and stylish, it would make a SackMother proud.

Exclusive Nariko SackGirl
- SackBoy’s beware! Nariko SackGirl has been known to keep other SackBoys (and SackGirls) in check. This exclusive downloadable costume features our favorite heroine on the PS3.

Exclusive Kratos SackBoy
- Nuff’ said. Yes…the forum rumors were true - but the biggest question remains “why didn’t this guy smile?” Seriously, this is another exclusive downloadable costume that will elevate your SackBoy status to godlike proportions.

Keep an eye out for more LittleBigNews in a few days…

The last two are awesome, but I'm hoping each store doesn't have their own specific items.

I like the burlap sack to be honest. the sticker thing is meh... everything else will be great. I still plan on creating some insanely elaborate levels with original art... I just wish they'd release a list of supported user-uploaded image types. I'll be ecstatic if PNGs are allowed.

When I first looked and thought it came with kratos and/or nariko toys (not just downloadable in-game characters) I was excited. In the thread he does say actual sackboys are in the works, so there is still hope. Kratos looks particularly awesome.

I also like the sack, I think it's a great idea, and I would definitely store the game in there.

Also makes you wonder if a heavenly sword sequel of some sort is in the works.

[quote name='happy']When I first looked and thought it came with kratos and/or nariko toys (not just downloadable in-game characters) I was excited. In the thread he does say actual sackboys are in the works, so there is still hope. Kratos looks particularly awesome.

I also like the sack, I think it's a great idea, and I would definitely store the game in there.

Also makes you wonder if a heavenly sword sequel of some sort is in the works.[/quote]
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008...-order-goodness/comment-page-1/#comment-95372

Like that?

I really hope they go all out with the customization of your character! Any idea who will be starting the online thread?

I've already got some basic ideas for levels. Like I said before, Nariko and Kratos downloadable Sackgirl and Sackboy characters should come with each pre-order at every store. If it's 1 downloadable per store, that'll be lame. Also, I think we all know Gamestop would get Kratos if that were the case. I know some people don't like them.

I imagine it's going to be one of those things where they become accessible to everyone. Even if not officially, can't users share things amongst themselves pretty easily?

I just looked at the comments from the blog which includes stuff from the marketing team including:
Q. are there plans to upgrade in game abilities (say a new power ups pack with for example double jump, guns, invincibility, swords, etc see entire history of platform games for ideas?

A. In terms of upgrading in-game abilities…I can neither confirm or deny that we have any plans, but I can say it is possible.
icon_smile.gif

This would be a huge addition if they do it.

[quote name='happy']When I first looked and thought it came with kratos and/or nariko toys (not just downloadable in-game characters) I was excited. In the thread he does say actual sackboys are in the works, so there is still hope. Kratos looks particularly awesome.
[/quote]

Yeah as soon as I saw the post title and picture I thought the same thing. Those would make way better preorder bonuses. Even if not, I am crossing my fingers that they release those two as actual sackboys.

It was mentioned on the blog that they were working on getting real sackboys out. If these bonuses all come in one place, I'll probably be there day one. If they are split up between stores, then I'll probably wait on it.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/tag/littlebigplanet/
Stay tuned for much more detail on which retailer will have what pre-order item and when to go to your favorite retailer to reserve your copy.
It sounds like specific retailers will have a specific pre-order bonus.

I really want the costumes, however these look they could eventually be available as DLC. I'd rather get something like the burlap sack if that's the case.

Oh, and we can pretty much assume there will be some sort of CE with an actual sackboy packed in.

I thought at first these were actual sackboy dolls. I was going to pre order the game even though I don't have a PS3 (yet). Then I realized these are just downloadable in the game :(.

bread's done
Back