Little Big Planet - Gen. Discussion & Info

When people say system seller, what does that mean? Does it mean like middle-aged women will want to buy one for themselves? Like, are you saying people who usually don't buy games buy it?

They just announced the pre-order locations for two of the pre-order gifts. Amazon will be getting the Little Big Planet Creator mini-guide and GameStop will be getting the Kratos downloadable costume. Other item locations to be announced soon.

http://littlebigplanet.us.playstation.com/post/2008/08/Pre-Order-Details-Amazon--GameStop.aspx

" Pre-Order Details: Amazon & GameStop

By SackBoy103 Last Updated: 8/12/2008 11:53:31 AM

Last week on the PlayStation Blog, we announced the whole gambit of pre-order items planned with our North American retailers. Today, we'd like to announce more details on two of the items and the retailers supporting them. (Just to clarify - you don't get all 5 items if you pre-order, just one so choose wisely :p)

The official "LittleBigPlanet Creator" miniguide @ Amazon.com
image.axd

The guys at Brady Games have been getting their hands on the game for quite a while (they're working on the upcoming strategy guide - more details on this later). They're working with the folks at Amazon.com to offer a digital miniguide as pre-order incentive. The miniguide will act as a primer to our CREATORS out there looking for more hints and tips to master the 'tools of the trade'. - Click here to hit the Amazon's LBP page.

Exclusive in-game Kratos SackBoy downloadable costume @ GameStop
image.axd

OK, there were lots of questions on the PS Blog about this one, so I wanted to breakdown the above to clarify a few specifics. "Exclusive" = this is the only place in North America where you can get this exclusive costume. Currently there are no near future plans to distribute on the PS Store… "In-Game" = this is not a physical object - but the render looked so good, it sold me on that idea too. "Kratos SackBoy" = Nuff' said. "Downloadable" = Once you pre-order at GameStop, they'll give you a voucher w/ a promotional code which you can redeem on the PlayStation Store for your free download at LBP launch. Obviously you'll need a copy of LBP to access the content, but I think you guys get all that. And finally, "Costume" = the Kratos SackBoy costume actually consists of four different items (signature Kratos skin, goatee, Blades of Athena (on back), and Kratos garments. So, once obtained you can interchange these items with your normal costume inventory at anytime.

Both the retailers mentioned above start their pre-order campaigns today so if you like what you see, check out either Amazon or GameStop and pre-order now. If you’re still on hold for the other items, stay tuned for more info on the Exclusive LittleBigPouch, LittleBigStickerBook and Nariko SackGirl soon."

[quote name='NamPaehc']When people say system seller, what does that mean? Does it mean like middle-aged women will want to buy one for themselves? Like, are you saying people who usually don't buy games buy it?[/quote]

no, I just mean that people will be willing to buy a PS3 soley for this game even if nothing else interests them.

I am still not convinced (even after E3) that LBP will be a system seller. Game of the year candidate for sure, but not a system seller. I can't see anyone I know look at this game and say, "Wow, I need to buy a PS3", which did happen for MGS4. Another thing is that nobody I know who is a gamer but doesn't read forums or game sites knows anything about LBP. The only thing out there was a 8 second clip in the PS3 ad, sandwiched between MGS4 and GT:p. Sorry for being a Negative Nancy. In other news, if its true that Nariko and Kratos can be made by unlocking items (chains of olympus and nariko's hair too?) I don't even see myself pre-ordering. Still a day 1 purchase though.

Maybe if enough people get playing it, it gets on the news and stuff, like the Wii did with Wii Sports it'll become a system seller. $399 is still too much for the average person to pay for just LBP I think. Luckily there is a solid collection of games on PS3 now.

I'm a little confused with the pre-order stuff. Is there any indication that any store will be giving out sack boy plushies?

[quote name='Jest']I am still not convinced (even after E3) that LBP will be a system seller. Game of the year candidate for sure, but not a system seller. I can't see anyone I know look at this game and say, "Wow, I need to buy a PS3", which did happen for MGS4. Another thing is that nobody I know who is a gamer but doesn't read forums or game sites knows anything about LBP. The only thing out there was a 8 second clip in the PS3 ad, sandwiched between MGS4 and GT:p. Sorry for being a Negative Nancy. In other news, if its true that Nariko and Kratos can be made by unlocking items (chains of olympus and nariko's hair too?) I don't even see myself pre-ordering. Still a day 1 purchase though.

Maybe if enough people get playing it, it gets on the news and stuff, like the Wii did with Wii Sports it'll become a system seller. $399 is still too much for the average person to pay for just LBP I think. Luckily there is a solid collection of games on PS3 now.[/QUOTE]

LBP could be a system seller during the holidays... I think that it might end up being this years ELMO; If they were to put the game on Good morning America and have a level designed for the show, basically put the game before the masses and see where it goes.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Hmm okay, so like for people who bought a HaloBox. I see now thanks.[/QUOTE]

:lol:*

*I'm laughing at you, not with you.

[quote name='Thomas96']LBP could be a system seller during the holidays... I think that it might end up being this years ELMO; If they were to put the game on Good morning America and have a level designed for the show, basically put the game before the masses and see where it goes.[/quote]Except the Elmos don't require a $400 system to play.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Except the Elmos don't require a $400 system to play.[/quote]

Kids will still want it. Parents these days can't say no to kids. Besides, the Wii was so last year.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']First one that gets a physical SackBoy plushy gets my money. Plain or in some funky costume, it doesn't really matter.[/quote]
QFMFT, I'm surprised that GameStop didn't try jumping on this since it would be a no-brainer ... that is unless Sony is planning on merchandising this themselves.

[quote name='Jest']I am still not convinced (even after E3) that LBP will be a system seller. Game of the year candidate for sure, but not a system seller. I can't see anyone I know look at this game and say, "Wow, I need to buy a PS3", which did happen for MGS4. Another thing is that nobody I know who is a gamer but doesn't read forums or game sites knows anything about LBP. The only thing out there was a 8 second clip in the PS3 ad, sandwiched between MGS4 and GT:p. Sorry for being a Negative Nancy. In other news, if its true that Nariko and Kratos can be made by unlocking items (chains of olympus and nariko's hair too?) I don't even see myself pre-ordering. Still a day 1 purchase though.

Maybe if enough people get playing it, it gets on the news and stuff, like the Wii did with Wii Sports it'll become a system seller. $399 is still too much for the average person to pay for just LBP I think. Luckily there is a solid collection of games on PS3 now.[/quote]

Why WOULD people know about it if they don't read game sites and previews? They haven't even begun to advertise, because it's three months away. Hopefully they bombard the media with Sackboy. I like the idea that someone else had, to make show-specific levels. Have an Oprah sackgirl, or Tyra Banks. That will get the masses moving.

I want an Al Roker one.

Also, Rolento, where are you reading about customization of Sackboy? I would like to know more about the options and limitations of this. I think this was one of Wombat's arguments against the game; that he wanted to design his character, not a level. Little does he know, that he can do both.

[quote name='orko60']

Also, Rolento, where are you reading about customization of Sackboy? I would like to know more about the options and limitations of this. I think this was one of Wombat's arguments against the game; that he wanted to design his character, not a level. Little does he know, that he can do both.[/quote]

Most sites don't go over the feature, but just like levels where you can stick stuff onto objects you can do so with sackboy. I'm sure there's limitations but it works. Some people have even gone as far as painting the entire body. I know of one guy who made it a point to make a dark knight joker sackboy to superb success... let me dig up a pic...

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2008/07/17/little-big-planet-dark-knight-joker-meets-sackboy/

DSC02282.jpg

I just can't get excited for this game. It looks absolutely beautiful but that's it for me. The gameplay seems..meh specially for a full retail title. Correct me if I'm wrong, from my understanding, its mainly a puzzle/platform that allows you to create and share your own levels right?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I just can't get excited for this game. It looks absolutely beautiful but that's it for me. The gameplay seems..meh specially for a full retail title. Correct me if I'm wrong, from my understanding, its mainly a puzzle/platform that allows you to create and share your own levels right?[/quote]

... kinda. it's more like a user friendly game development tool built around platforming... you can basically make any game you want with it though.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I just can't get excited for this game. It looks absolutely beautiful but that's it for me. The gameplay seems..meh specially for a full retail title. Correct me if I'm wrong, from my understanding, its mainly a puzzle/platform that allows you to create and share your own levels right?[/quote]

What's not to like about the gameplay? You go through a platformer level, fight enemies and bosses, have co-op puzzles, play online with three friends, and have the ability to create your own levels of the above!

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I just can't get excited for this game. It looks absolutely beautiful but that's it for me. The gameplay seems..meh specially for a full retail title. Correct me if I'm wrong, from my understanding, its mainly a puzzle/platform that allows you to create and share your own levels right?[/QUOTE]

Yet I see "Braid" figure prominently on your gamercard. How 'bout that?

[quote name='mykevermin']Yet I see "Braid" figure prominently on your gamercard. How 'bout that?[/quote]

I've been wondering if someone will find a way to make braid levels on LBP. I haven't played braid, but using switches may allow someone to approximate some of the puzzles.

(Either way I'm hoping braid hits PSN soon)

[quote name='orko60']What's not to like about the gameplay? You go through a platformer level, fight enemies and bosses, have co-op puzzles, play online with three friends, and have the ability to create your own levels of the above![/quote]

So the main game does have enemies and bosses? I thought it was just a straight run through with puzzles/obstacles you have to solve to get you to the next area.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Must have missed it...all the videos I saw seem to be about custom levels. If its got classic platforming built in, then its good.[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen any enemies during the stage, but here is a boss battle that was shown. I was looking at other trailers and interviews, the levels run from about 5 - 15 mintues long... possibly 20 mintues long, with check points. Some leves for multiplaer force people to race to get through the level and you can also attack using a slap move. You an use it to knock other players into hazards, while racing the level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av8EPoVhVrQ

[quote name='happy']I've been wondering if someone will find a way to make braid levels on LBP. I haven't played braid, but using switches may allow someone to approximate some of the puzzles.

(Either way I'm hoping braid hits PSN soon)[/quote]

So am I but I wouldn't hold your breath. I think it is only coming to XBLA and PC.

There was a comment a few days ago that he will probably port it to PS3 after the exclusivity contract expires. Especially considering that he spent over $100K of his own money making it, I think the chances he won't port it are slim. Also with the high reviews Sony will probably help him make the port. The only question is how long the exclusivity contract will last (could be a year or more for all we know).

[quote name='happy']There was a comment a few days ago that he will probably port it to PS3 after the exclusivity contract expires. Especially considering that he spent over $100K of his own money making it, I think the chances he won't port it are slim. Also with the high reviews Sony will probably help him make the port. The only question is how long the exclusivity contract will last (could be a year or more for all we know).[/QUOTE]

How much did he earn for making the game exclusive? He said he used 180,000 of his own money to develop the game, I'd like to know the details of the exclusivity contract, and see if it was even worth it.

I'm thinking of starting a Web Site/ Blog/ thingy to put tutorials, level reviews, and other aggregations of LBP level-building stuff. Would anyone visit such a site? I should get my ass moving on it if I'm going to....

Stop talking about Braid in here! It has its own thread!

[quote name='orko60']I'm thinking of starting a Web Site/ Blog/ thingy to put tutorials, level reviews, and other aggregations of LBP level-building stuff. Would anyone visit such a site? I should get my ass moving on it if I'm going to....

Stop talking about Braid in here! It has its own thread![/quote]

Go for it.

My friend pre-ordered LBP at Blockbuster yesterday and the manager said that the computer would only let him put $40 down on the game. That's strange because I paid the whole $70 for Gears of War 2...

I'm going to check and see if Gamestop is going to have the Kratos preorder bonus tommorrow. Online site said that the preorder bonus should start this week.

[quote name='rabbitt']My friend pre-ordered LBP at Blockbuster yesterday and the manager said that the computer would only let him put $40 down on the game. That's strange because I paid the whole $70 for Gears of War 2...[/quote]

Ridiculous. The ENTIRE reason Gamestop wants your preorders is that it is literally money in the bank for them. With your money in their hands, they collect more interest on it and are guaranteed that you will come in again to pick it up and consider buying other stuff ( guide books, other games... ).

[quote name='cdietschrun']Ridiculous. The ENTIRE reason Gamestop wants your preorders is that it is literally money in the bank for them. With your money in their hands, they collect more interest on it and are guaranteed that you will come in again to pick it up and consider buying other stuff ( guide books, other games... ).[/QUOTE]

you're definitely right. THe only way I'll preorder if there's going to be an incentive for doing so. GS used to play like they didn't have the game you wanted at launch unless you preordered (i.e. Madden), however nowadays I notice they have games for everyone... pre order or not. Plus other retailers have better deals so I try not to tie up my money with GS.

Give me an incentive, if you want me to preorder..

I got an email from the LBP official blog news site or whatever the hell it is. Its about the pre-order bonuses for EU and Canada. Check it!
To our Canadian fans – Apologies for forgetting about you – we didn’t have details until today, but we have good news and ‘gooder’ news. First the good news – there will be 2* pre-order campaigns in Canada. The ‘gooder’ news is that the 2* items are Kratos SackBoy and Nariko SackGirl.

So...regarding Kratos SackBoy @ Canada, he'll be waiting for you at your local EB Games & GameStop stores (north of the boarder).

Stay tuned for more info on Nariko SackGirl when we make our announcements on the site.

*In the current internet age, we’re pretty sure you could get the BradyGames digital mini-guide if you wanted to.

*:roll:

[quote name='blueweltall']I just got my Kratos Sackboy![/quote]

Whaa? I preordered the game yesterday and got no code whatsoever.

[quote name='blueweltall']I just got my Kratos Sackboy![/QUOTE]

a actual sackboy? or a code for the Kratos Sackboy?

Sorry for the delay but its a unique code. It has one of those scratch off silver thing to protect the unique code. Its just came on a regular cardstock paper. Front card say

"Greetings! You just pre-ordered LittleBigPlanet which entitles you to an exclusive Kratos in-game costume!"

REDEEM By 1/8/09.

My Gamestop have a packet of about 30+ slips left. The guy wasn't planning to give it to me until I demanded he fork it over or get shot in the face with glitter.:hot:

bread's done
Back