Little Big Planet - Gen. Discussion & Info

Looks like this game is getting delayed in Europe (for sure), and possibly NA as well.

And you can thank this guy:

xcn9lz.jpg

If anyone gets this game early (some stores in NYC and Canada are selling early).
PM me, I'll buy it at a premium if it does get delayed in NA.

Yup, delayed worldwide because of that fucking song.

If you bought the game early, please buy more, I'll buy one at a premium!

From threespeech:

SCEE has supplied us with the official statement on the situation regarding LittleBigPlanet…

During the review process prior to the release of LittleBigPlanet, it has been brought to our attention that one of the background music tracks licensed from a record label for use in the game contains two expressions that can be found in the Qur’an. We have taken immediate action to rectify this and we sincerely apologise for any offence that this may have caused.

We will confirm the new launch date shortly.

We’ll keep you updated with further information as soon as we get it.

UPDATE

We’ve just been informed by SCEE that the delay to release is effective worldwide.

Well for all those looking to invest their money in video games, any copy you pick up now (meaning it has this song) is going to become incredibly rare.

I think this game has already been distributed/shipped to stores. While Sony may be able to get the big publishers (GameStop, BestBuy etc.) to honor the delay, I'm certain a few of you will get it from any mom and pop store that doesn't give a crap about Sony's reason for the delay.

Actually, I'm on my way to my neighborhood store right now to get me a copy.

[quote name='smiggity']Bullfuck! Sony is gonna catch some flak for this one, and deservedly so.[/quote]
For preemptively taking care of this potentially bad situation?

Just bought a second copy from an "IN HAND" seller for $62 which is actually a way better deal.

Hmm, I'll try to sell of my other copy and recoup the costs.

I called my walmart and they had them in, but said it's not selling till tuesday. They don't know about the delay yet, so any tips for getting them to break street date? I'm not waiting till the middle of november for my Amazon copy to come in.

I'm friends with the walmart managers kid, but I doubt that would matter.

I will post it again for those upset:
"I think this game has already been distributed/shipped to stores. While Sony may be able to get the big publishers (GameStop, BestBuy etc.) to honor the delay, I'm certain a few of you will get it from any mom and pop store that doesn't give a crap about Sony's reason for the delay.

Actually, I'm on my way to my neighborhood store right now to get me a copy."

This really pisses me off. Not the delay but the reason for it. Grrr, to miffed to talk.

Also, let's welcome the legion of LBP scams that will appear!

[quote name='DarthPuma']I called my walmart and they had them in, but said it's not selling till tuesday. They don't know about the delay yet, so any tips for getting them to break street date? I'm not waiting till the middle of november for my Amazon copy to come in.

I'm friends with the walmart managers kid, but I doubt that would matter.[/quote]

You're better off with a smaller store. The people at walmart are pretty much tied to the computer system which will say don't sell till Tuesday and they'll ship them out by then. You may be able to get one Tuesday because they will probably be slow to update the system.

I'm debating if I should stop by the local place or just wait for november and hope I can find a good deal to get this and maybe resistance 2 together (or a B2G1 and I'll get a third game too).

I assume the servers will be down so even if I do get it early I won't be able to play online which is half the fun anyway, meaning I may as well just wait (I don't plan to create anything yet)

I wonder how hard this is going to make for LBP to turn a profit.

I think its bullshit and they should just patch the game. Are they worried that Muslims or non-Muslims will get offended? Either way who give a fuck if you ask me.

[quote name='Zoglog']http://www.amazon.com/Tapha-Niang/dp/B0011ZTDII

the song they pulled, I rather like it. Sounds nice :)

http://www.last.fm/music/Toumani+Diabate's+Symmetric+Orchestra/_/Tapha+Niang?autostart

I'm more upset by the censorship rather than the delay[/quote]

It's sad that in these days something like this causes a problem. We're worried about one or two words in a song when people are losing their homes, jobs, and even more.

I like the song, after listening to it. I wouldn't have known and wouldn't have cared.

i'm pretty much on the verge of canceling my pre-order on this game and throwing that money to this guy's album on itunes instead.

I was on the fence about LBP since the beta and this kind of tips the scales.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I wonder how hard this is going to make for LBP to turn a profit.

I think its bullshit and they should just patch the game. Are they worried that Muslims or non-Muslims will get offended? Either way who give a fuck if you ask me.[/quote]

That whole gaff with the Church of England is probably still fresh in their minds. Gah, the artist of the song this whole mess is about is even a muslim himself! Really. It's just a over-reaction and pandering.

Islam would be great if it wasn't for the Muslims. :/

Oh well. I wasn't planning on getting the game in the first place. But now I know FOR SURE I'm not going to be buying it. Censorship just doesn't jive well with my pocketbook.

Eh, that's not too late IMO. As long as it's out sometime in November, I'm all right.

But let me try to explain this to EVERYONE before they blow things out of proportion. I know some people may think, why not just patch the game online. The problem is that around 50% of the PS3 userbase or higher doesn't even connect their PS3 through the internet. The reason you still be two SingStar disc per year, a Rock Band each year, or other games on disc (although it can be updated via patches) is because there's still quite a number of people who do not connect their consoles online and cannot obtain the patch (some are afraid of a console getting a virus, some have no broadband, some think it's too difficult to do, some have no router and refuse to get one, some have no internet, and so on). I definitely believe it because the majority of PS3 owners I have talked to in retailers, they may wonder about a game, and I asked them if they played the demo in the PS Store. They are like what's a PS Store and no their console isn't connected online. If everyone connected, it wouldn't be a problem, but that's still far from being the case.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Eh, that's not too late IMO. As long as it's out sometime in November, I'm all right.

But let me try to explain this to EVERYONE before they blow things out of proportion. I know some people may think, why not just patch the game online. The problem is that around 50% of the PS3 userbase or higher doesn't even connect their PS3 through the internet. The reason you still be two SingStar disc per year, a Rock Band each year, or other games on disc (although it can be updated via patches) is because there's still quite a number of people who do not connect their consoles online and cannot obtain the patch (some are afraid of a console getting a virus, some have no broadband, some think it's too difficult to do, some have no router and refuse to get one, some have no internet, and so on). I definitely believe it because the majority of PS3 owners I have talked to in retailers, they may wonder about a game, and I asked them if they played the demo in the PS Store. They are like what's a PS Store and no their console isn't connected online. If everyone connected, it wouldn't be a problem, but that's still far from being the case.[/QUOTE]

that's not the point, it's the fact that they chose to censor this perfectly reasonable stuff in the first place. The artist is a devout Muslim himself.

The company simply caved into perceptions and fears.

southpark-muhammadfish.jpg

[quote name='zenprime']At the least Tapha Niang is probably getting some awesome worldwide publicity and his music is reaching a bunch of new ears.[/QUOTE]

true that

[quote name='The Mana Knight']The problem is that around 50% of the PS3 userbase or higher doesn't even connect their PS3 through the internet. The reason you still be two SingStar disc per year, a Rock Band each year, or other games on disc (although it can be updated via patches) is because there's still quite a number of people who do not connect their consoles online and cannot obtain the patch (some are afraid of a console getting a virus, some have no broadband, some think it's too difficult to do, some have no router and refuse to get one, some have no internet, and so on). I definitely believe it because the majority of PS3 owners I have talked to in retailers, they may wonder about a game, and I asked them if they played the demo in the PS Store. They are like what's a PS Store and no their console isn't connected online. If everyone connected, it wouldn't be a problem, but that's still far from being the case.[/quote]

No shit, sherlock.

[quote name='Zoglog']that's not the point, it's the fact that they chose to censor this perfectly reasonable stuff in the first place. The artist is a devout Muslim himself.

The company simply caved into perceptions and fears.[/quote]
Pretty much. I would've loved this song to play during the game

Wow that's a really pointless reason to delay the game, sigh at paranoid world.

Oh well i don't really mind the delay that much also, gives me time to play fable II.

I'm not convinced that this is legit. I'm not convinced those lyrics are actually in the Quran.

I'll be playing LBP on Tuesday. God I hope I'm not wrong.

[quote name='Zoglog']i'm pretty much on the verge of canceling my pre-order on this game and throwing that money to this guy's album on itunes instead.

I was on the fence about LBP since the beta and this kind of tips the scales.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I really think I am not going to pick the game up now. I think I'll spend my $60 on Spiderman: WoS now.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']For preemptively taking care of this potentially bad situation?[/quote]

For not catching it in the beginning...

Amazon still thinks it's releasing on October 21... I wouldn't be surprised if they've alerady shipped a bunch of copies. I preorder a lot of CDs, and they commonly ship on the Thursday or Friday before the Tuesday release. Don't know for sure if they would do that with games too.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I agree. I really think I am not going to pick the game up now. I think I'll spend my $60 on Spiderman: WoS now.[/QUOTE]

well it's compounded by the fact that during this period there are a large handful of games being released, so it's very little cost to me to pass up on this game ;)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Amazon still thinks it's releasing on October 21... I wouldn't be surprised if they've alerady shipped a bunch of copies. I preorder a lot of CDs, and they commonly ship on the Thursday or Friday before the Tuesday release. Don't know for sure if they would do that with games too.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't keep your hopes up on that, Amazon is a pretty responsive retailer.
They pulled the fable 2 LE after the cuts instantly whereas circuit city still had it

Im listening to it now and its sounds great I think some people are just to sensitive I mean I understand if it was referencing it in a negative way but it isnt. Isnt it almost the same if someone was talking about it regularly but maybe my thinking is wrong.

This sucks for me that was going to be my mom's 35th wedding anniversary gift which IS next week :bomb: she still cant stop talking about the Beta she played and keeps asking me when she going to play it again. What am I suppose to tell her, she's going to be upset too what about her man whatever this sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so I'm going to amend some of what I said above. The passages may be in the Quran, but in the context with which they statements are being taken(in my opinion) are out of context.

[quote name='Zoglog']I wouldn't keep your hopes up on that, Amazon is a pretty responsive retailer.[/quote]
Oh I'm sure they'll have the listing updated in no time, what I'm saying is that they may have already been shipping copies yesterday and this mornng before this stuff came up. Like I said they commonly start shipping new CDs the week before release.

I think what upsets me most, is that people have a choice to not pick up this game or play it. In the long run financially I doubt this kind of "controversy" would have prevented sales at all.

on the flip side, I doubt this delay will really hurt sales that much either, so Sony just made a simple decision based on possible future problems that might arise from this

[quote name='Kendal']fuck. Nov. 14th? Sorry LBP, but you are getting shelved until I am done with Gears 2. This is shitty.[/quote]

gears releases before then or what? because if so, same for me.

bread's done
Back