Little computer prob

Rags

CAGiversary!
Here'e the prob>

I open up certain programs(seems to be recent developement of the problem).
-Such as a PSP video converter
-It works fine
Then I go to open a file to convert
-It lets me pick one
Program crashes
-Gives me the send - do not send box

No clueas to what could have happened here, it worked fine last week, and works with most other programs. Certain ones just don't seem to work and crash EVERY time I open a file with it. I have noticed other programs not work as well sometimes, like when I try to burn a data disc it crashes and gives me that send - do not send box as well. Keep in mind it's not just the PSP video converter that is doing this, therefore it's not a PSP problem.

><
Any body have some answers that do not involve reformatting? I am almost positive it's not the memory, because not too long ago I put 512MB of RAM in it, so it's up to a GB.

[quote name='Rags']Here'e the prob>

I open up certain programs(seems to be recent developement of the problem).
-Such as a PSP video converter
-It works fine
Then I go to open a file to convert
-It lets me pick one
Program crashes
-Gives me the send - do not send box

No clueas to what could have happened here, it worked fine last week, and works with most other programs. Certain ones just don't seem to work and crash EVERY time I open a file with it. I have noticed other programs not work as well sometimes, like when I try to burn a data disc it crashes and gives me that send - do not send box as well. Keep in mind it's not just the PSP video converter that is doing this, therefore it's not a PSP problem.

><
Any body have some answers that do not involve reformatting? I am almost positive it's not the memory, because not too long ago I put 512MB of RAM in it, so it's up to a GB.[/QUOTE]

have you tried reinstalling the program? Maybe some important .dll files were accidentally deleted. Thats hte only answer I have. My dvd shrink started doing this recently, and was corrected after a nice new install.

Actually new things started last night. When I look through certain folders, the computer crashes. Not sure about the whole situation now.

I'll probably just try and get some things off that I don't want to lose and then reinstall Windows. Not really a huge deal, just did not want to go that far. I have been needing a fresh start anyway I guess.
Stupid thing is> I have not even had the computer hooked to the Internet for like 5 months, so whatever happened to break it, I DID IT. Oh well, at least it won't cost me anything to fix it since I can probably do it myself.

you might want to check for adware, spyware, etc.... use spybot search and destroy,

and then run an online virus scan at kaspensky, its free

When people have issues like this at work, I send them this before I ever touch the machine.

A. Download Adaware - http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html
  • To run Adaware click on "run" to Run Adaware on your machine.
  • After it finds some stuff, click next to see what it is and right click on one of the spyware and select "Select all items”. That will select them all and you can click remove in the bottom right hand corner.
  • It may want to restart and run at the startup...go ahead and do it...that just means that it couldn’t remove something without restarting.
Still having trouble?--------------------------------

B. Download Spybot -http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html
  • Now click on downloads and do a search for all downloads and select all of them and download them. Then Click on inoculate and inoculate it from further receiving spyware and then finally run the program to search for spyware. At the end of its search click on "delete all spyware" and restart. It may want to restart and run at the startup...go ahead and do it...that just means that it couldn’t remove something without restarting.
Still having trouble?--------------------------------

C. Defragment your PC:
  • Double-click on “My Computer”
  • Right Click on the C: Drive
  • Click on “Properties” at the bottom of the menu
  • Click on “Tools” tab at the top
  • Click on the “Defragment Now” button
  • Select the drive you want to Defrag and click “Defragment”
Other things to do... Uninstall "Webshots desktop", Viewpoint Software, Web Tangent Software, or anything else that involves an animation of an american flag on your desktop.

Edited out Work stuff....

bread's done
Back