Live Above The Influence... e_e

karmapolice

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Im sure we have all seen the ads on T.V. Telling us that if we smoke pot we will grow up to be 40 and living with our parents, or we will run some girl over in a fast food line because were "too high to notice". Ive gotten to the point where every time one comes on T.V. I almost get sick to my stomach, because of the pure lies and bullshit they feeding the youth of today. Why not focus on the corrupt pharmaceutical companies or the fact that our education system is so far gone that no one is truly educated anymore?

I decided to go to liveabovetheinfluence.com and see what more they where dishing out. To my surprise it was actually worse than I suspected. I decided to write a nice (actually rather angry but well put together) email to the administrator or who ever gets their contact emails.

Im wondering how others feel about these terrible portrayals of marijuana? I know this isnt the first time its been used as a scapegoat. It just seems to me that in this day and age when state after state is lining up to decriminalize marijuana we would start becoming more accepting or at least start realizing the true problems we have in our society.

So tell me how you feel and if you think that pot is truly a terrible thing then do me a favor, and do some research and really find out what you're talking about before replying.

/rant

i know a lot of people that dont do anything but smoke pot all day and those commercials would actually get them to try and quit and do other things. But, im probably not looking at it the way you are and i honestly dont care, i just wanted to put in my .02 lol.

also, someone will probably make a joke asking you if you are high. im just pointing it out to make sure no one does.

[quote name='becuzimbrown']i know a lot of people that dont do anything but smoke pot all day and those commercials would actually get them to try and quit and do other things. But, im probably not looking at it the way you are and i honestly dont care, i just wanted to put in my .02 lol.

also, someone will probably make a joke asking you if you are high. im just pointing it out to make sure no one does.[/QUOTE]

Yes some people do just sit around and smoke pot, but the fact is that youre not gunna kill someone because you are high. If you do just sit around and smoke pot all day its usually because someone is facilitating that (i.e. parents). People who have jobs and enjoy smoking cant afford to.

I am not currently high, but I do smoke. I actually use it mainly because I have back pain from a car accident and as an alternative to pharmaceutical anti-depressants. Its not to say that I also dont enjoy it or use it in recreation, but that is not my major reason. Im sure alot of people will just say those are excuses, and you can think whatever you want.

I don't know what you're talking about.Marijuana IS harmful to your body. What the ads try to do is to prevent use of Marijuana and, in general, drugs all together.

You can say that it is for medical uses all you want, but being drug-free is the main message here. Lets not get into the whole "Marijuana keeps me alive" ordeal.

[quote name='karmapolice']
So tell me how you feel and if you think that pot is truly a terrible thing then do me a favor, and do some research and really find out what you're talking about before replying.

/rant[/quote]

If you like pot...thats fine. But everyone is entitled to their opinion though. If someone doesn't like pot, I see no reason why that can't speak their mind in this forum. I think both arguments (pro and against) should be heard...

[quote name='strdr4']I don't know what you're talking about.Marijuana IS harmful to your body. What the ads try to do is to prevent use of Marijuana and, in general, drugs all together.

You can say that it is for medical uses all you want, but being drug-free is the main message here. Lets not get into the whole "Marijuana keeps me alive" ordeal.[/QUOTE]

Could you let me know how exactly its harmful? Most of the tests that have been done (not by the government) say otherwise. I never said that marijuana keeps me alive, but there are cases in which marijuana has greatly helped improve peoples way of life. They only attack marijuana and they in no way address other drugs in their advertisements.

There is one case of a woman who had M.S. and it was completely destroying her life. She was unable to even walk out her front door to get a news paper. She tried every drug treatment available, until trying marijuana and now she can perform everyday functions as normal as you or I would.

Try to give me actual facts instead of just telling me what IS and what ISNT true.

Pot is evil, sinful and will make your testicles fall out through your eye sockets....and i base that on absolutely nothing.

[quote name='Xevious']If you like pot...thats fine. But everyone is entitled to their opinion though. If someone doesn't like pot, I see no reason why that can't speak their mind in this forum. I think both arguments (pro and against) should be heard...[/QUOTE]

I in no way said that it shouldnt be heard. I am just saying that if youre going to take a stance atleast support it, and not just say "drugs are bad mmkay". I understand why some people do not enjoy or use marijuana, but blindly saying its a horrible thing is just ignorant.

edit- example being the post above^ (although I sense sarcasm)

[quote name='karmapolice']There is one case of a woman who had M.S. and it was completely destroying her life. She was unable to even walk out her front door to get a news paper. She tried every drug treatment available, until trying marijuana and now she can perform everyday functions as normal as you or I would.[/quote]

For every one of these little "miracles" I'm sure there's 100 lives ruined by drug use.

I used to smoke. USED to. I used to preach about how it isn't bad for you and bla bla bla. Honestly, that stuff messes with your head. You don't realize it at first, but it does something. Sure, its an awesome time and really fun, but after that its just depressing.

I prefer a stoned person to a drunk person, but thats just me. Its bullshit that pot is illegal and alcohol isn't, but whatever. Especially with the amount of lives and people that are destroyed because of alcohol.

[quote name='Rocko']For every one of these little "miracles" I'm sure there's 100 lives ruined by drug use.[/QUOTE]

Ruined by drug use or the use of marijuana? Or could it be that more than half of these "100" could be because of a system in which you could be carted to jail for just a seed (nevada).

[quote name='karmapolice']

There is one case of a woman who had M.S. and it was completely destroying her life. She was unable to even walk out her front door to get a news paper. She tried every drug treatment available, until trying marijuana and now she can perform everyday functions as normal as you or I would.
[/quote]

Now I can't comment whether or not medicinal ganja is the answer for some people but there is one flaw with the movement right now.

I noticed that here in the bay area, many marijuana clinics sell pot which can be smoked. The problem is: Smoking causes cancer. It doesn't matter if you smoke pot, cigarettes, anything....the very act of smoking causes cancer.

Now if these clinics sold pot that could be ingested as opposed to being smoked, they may have more of an argument about its medicinal value.

EDIT: It always astonishes me that the doctors that prescribe medicial marijuana have never figured that out for themselves.

[quote name='Xevious']Now I can't comment whether or not medicinal ganja is the answer for some people but there is one flaw with the movement right now.

I noticed that here in the bay area, many marijuana clinics sell pot which can be smoked. The problem is: Smoking causes cancer. It doesn't matter if you smoke pot, cigarettes, anything....the very act of smoking causes cancer.

Now if these clinics sold pot that could be ingested as opposed to being smoked, they may have more of an argument about its medicinal value.[/QUOTE]

Most of the shops do have edibles and there is a pill which contains concentrated THC. Also, if smoking out of a vaporizer there are almost no carcinogens being inhaled. Only pure THC (if set to the right temperature).

edit to your edit- If you are in pain and unable to live your life in even the smallest fashion, would you really care if you could "possibly" get cancer later on in life(if you lived that long)? I do believe it is over prescribed and taken advantage of. In california for example you can walk into a doctors office and complain of foot pain and get a prescription(if its the right doctor).

[quote name='Rocko']Yeah, yeah, down with the system and all that.[/QUOTE]

So are you saying that our legal system and drug laws are not flawed in any way? I dont believe I promoted or even implied the idea of "taking down the system".

[quote name='karmapolice']Most of the shops do have edibles and there is a pill which contains concentrated THC. Also, if smoking out of a vaporizer there are almost no carcinogens being inhaled. Only pure THC (if set to the right temperature).[/quote]

That may be true but I see people outside of the Oakland clinic lighting up joints. I have seen the same thing in front of the San Francisco clinics too.

Its just seems counter-productive.

[quote name='karmapolice']Could you let me know how exactly its harmful? Most of the tests that have been done (not by the government) say otherwise. I never said that marijuana keeps me alive, but there are cases in which marijuana has greatly helped improve peoples way of life. They only attack marijuana and they in no way address other drugs in their advertisements.

Try to give me actual facts instead of just telling me what IS and what ISNT true.[/quote]

I don't care if you like pot or not, but if you don't think Marijuana isn't harmful, you are delusional. What you have in question here is about the ads, which I see no problems with. They are trying to teach about a drug free environment. Do you understand the POINT of the ads? Do you understand WHY they preach about being drug-free?

I don't care about Marijuana because I don't do drugs of any kind so my stance on this is obvious. REGARDLESS of some of its effects, the ads are doing what they intend to do. I can't believe you would even try to rebut the messages that you see on these ads because it's pretty straightforward. If you want to get into the nitty gritty of this, I'm sure someone else can give a side, but you'll probably not waver in your opinion anyways. It's a 2 sided affair, but I laugh because you come here asking for open mindedness, but you give an ignorant answer saying you don't know how Marijuana can be harmful to a person's body.

Seriously, just google "Is Marijuana harmful?" There's one side to the story that you seem to be missing out on.

[quote name='karmapolice']in this day and age when state after state is lining up to decriminalize marijuana[/QUOTE]

You sure on that? Unless there's a bunch of impending legislation I can't find any trace of online, it doesn't look that way to me. If I'm reading the article correctly, it looks like Alaska, Mississippi, and Oregon are the only three states that have decriminalized marijuana...and since it's still against federal law, it's still illegal nationwide, and can be enforced as such.

[quote name='karmapolice']Could you let me know how exactly its harmful? Most of the tests that have been done (not by the government) say otherwise. [/QUOTE]

This one doesn't.

Highlights:
The short-term effects of marijuana can include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception; difficulty in thinking and problem solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate.

One study has indicated that an abuser's risk of heart attack more than quadruples in the first hour after smoking marijuana.

Someone who smokes marijuana regularly may have many of the same respiratory problems that tobacco smokers do, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, a heightened risk of lung infections, and a greater tendency to obstructed airways.

[M]arijuana smoke contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke.

Depression, anxiety, and personality disturbances have been associated with chronic marijuana use. Because marijuana compromises the ability to learn and remember information, the more a person uses marijuana the more he or she is likely to fall behind in accumulating intellectual, job, or social skills.

[quote name='karmapolice']So are you saying that our legal system and drug laws are not flawed in any way?.[/QUOTE]
He didn't say that, and even if he did it'd be irrelevant.

I know this topic isn't going to change your mind about anything; it seems pretty clear that you support marijuana, and that those beliefs are firm. That said, a lot of your arguments in this topic are weak, if not just plain wrong. Marijuana's illegal, it can be harmful, and I think it'd be great if you backed up your own assertion and did some research on your own.

meh, i wrote a big rant but deleted it. heres the short version...

is pot the worst thing out there, no. can it still be detrimental to you, yes. should it be legal, im not as sure as i was when i used to smoke.

I forget what comedian said this, but I agree with him entirely... (not an exact quote but whatever)

"I hope we legalize pot... Not because I smoke it or just because I think it's wrong to have it be illegal... I hope we legalize pot just so potheads have nothing to talk about anymore."

Honestly, nobody thinks you're going to run over a 2 year old because you smoked pot. It's a hyperbole and I think any sensible human being can realize this.

That being said I feel like the "live above the influence" campaign to be somewhat stupid, although it has a nice message. It should be "live with the influence" instead. You're never going to live in an environment where people you know aren't effected by drugs, either directly or indirectly. If you're not hurting anyone, good, I say live and let live. Anything, in moderation, is almost never a bad thing. It's when people don't know how to or cannot control themselves.

Unfortunately most of the people who indulge in mind altering substances aren't mature enough to understand that limit.

[quote name='karmapolice']Im sure we have all seen the ads on T.V. Telling us that if we smoke pot we will grow up to be 40 and living with our parents, or we will run some girl over in a fast food line because were "too high to notice".[/QUOTE]

I'm not here to argue with you or defend marijuana, but it does impair your driving ability. I don't care if it's prescribed medication, alcohol, or whatever. If it impairs your driving, you should not do it and then get behind the wheel of a car. I doubt you (or anyone else) is going to run a girl over in a drive-thru at a restaurant while smoking pot, but that one makes a good point. You can just as easily be arrested for driving under the influence of prescription drugs, especially if they say "not to operate heavy machinery or a motor vehicle."

Let's be honest, there is a bunch of stuff out there that is bad for your health, and yes, weed is one of them. However, I don't think weed is any worse then alcohol, and it's legal, so really, it doesn't make sense why weed is illegal. I also hate those commercials, because they just try to use fear to get their message across.

[quote name='docvinh'] However, I don't think weed is any worse then alcohol[/QUOTE]

even so, do you think alcoholics are a positive aspect of our society? or drunk drivers? its the same thing with pot.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']even so, do you think alcoholics are a positive aspect of our society? or drunk drivers? its the same thing with pot.[/QUOTE]

Well, of course not. There will always be people who go overboard with anything, doesn't mean everyone else should not be able to enjoy themselves because of that.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']even so, do you think alcoholics are a positive aspect of our society? or drunk drivers? its the same thing with pot.[/QUOTE]

cigarettes? high fructose corn syrup? flourescent lights? GMO vegetables? high polymer plastics? dish detergent?

all this shit is "really bad for you."

people think cancer happens because you smoke a lot of cigarettes - it only takes ONE time for the oncogene to activate and create a malignant cancer.

But i still eat snickers and work under flourscent lights and eat GMO vegetables - wash my dishes with dish detergent too.

putting things in the 'positive' and 'negative' category isn't as helpful as putting things on the 'positive' and 'negative' spectrum.

are alcoholics bad? yes.
are beer battered shrimp bad? no.

Everything is bad for you. Smoking doesn't cause cancer, it only ups the chances. If smoking caused cancer, everyone who smokes would have cancer. They say pot causes depression but what about people who suffer from depression that don't smoke weed. I agree with what the OP is saying. The anti-drug commercials are stupid and don't work. You will not convince kids to not do something by telling them not to.

There are tons of things that people do that cause them harm that are still legal and noone talks about. Tanning is hugely popular and it causes cancer. Gambling ruins peoples lives but they show poker on tv. There are bigger problems that our society should be focusing on and they need a better way to stop drug abuse. Scare tactics and telling people not to doesn't work.

[quote name='mrlokievil'] The anti-drug commercials are stupid and don't work. You will not convince kids to not do something by telling them not to.
[/quote]

Wrong. Just because they might not influence you doesnt mean they dont influence others. Im a teenager and proud to say ive never used pot, mainly because of the negativity associated with it in society. If it were legal, and there were advertisements and such for it, i would have definitely used it by now.

[quote name='omgu8myrice']Wrong. Just because they might not influence you doesnt mean they dont influence others. Im a teenager and proud to say ive never used pot, mainly because of the negativity associated with it in society. If it were legal, and there were advertisements and such for it, i would have definitely used it by now.[/quote]

Exactly. It's easier then ever to brainwash this new generation.

They have helicopter parents, their time has been regimented between school assignments and extracurricular activities their whole lives, and critical thinking is at an all time low.

It's ironic - the baby boomers were scandalized as rebels, yet it turns out that wasn't such a bad thing after all.

Alcohol is legal because banning it didn't work the first time and probably never would. Plus that would put many large and wealthy companies out of business and we can't have that.:roll:

If Anheuser Busch had made joints from the beginning, before it was illegal, you'd probably be able to pick it up in any corner store today. When a large and "respectable" company makes something, it makes that product more respectable. When some shady looking guy is selling it on a street corner, doesn't look so respectable.

[quote name='docvinh']Well, of course not. There will always be people who go overboard with anything, doesn't mean everyone else should not be able to enjoy themselves because of that.[/QUOTE]

then we might as well legalize heroin, cocaine, acid, meth etc. because there will always be people who go overboard with anything, doesn't mean everyone else should not be able to enjoy themselves because of that.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']cigarettes? high fructose corn syrup? flourescent lights? GMO vegetables? high polymer plastics? dish detergent?

all this shit is "really bad for you."

[/QUOTE]

thats not an apt comparison

[quote name='JolietJake']Alcohol is legal because banning it didn't work the first time and probably never would. Plus that would put many large and wealthy companies out of business and we can't have that.:roll:

If Anheuser Busch had made joints from the beginning, before it was illegal, you'd probably be able to pick it up in any corner store today. When a large and "respectable" company makes something, it makes that product more respectable. When some shady looking guy is selling it on a street corner, doesn't look so respectable.[/QUOTE]

dont forget that alcohol, unlike pot, has been a staple of human civilization for as long as its existed.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']then we might as well legalize heroin, cocaine, acid, meth etc. because there will always be people who go overboard with anything, doesn't mean everyone else should not be able to enjoy themselves because of that.

dont forget that alcohol, unlike pot, has been a staple of human civilization for as long as its existed.[/quote]While it may not have been a "Staple," it's been used for as long or longer. Especially considering it didn't have to be made, but rather found or grown.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']then we might as well legalize heroin, cocaine, acid, meth etc. because there will always be people who go overboard with anything, doesn't mean everyone else should not be able to enjoy themselves because of that.

dont forget that alcohol, unlike pot, has been a staple of human civilization for as long as its existed.[/QUOTE]

Pot has been around for as long as its been growing on this planet. Which is... oh yeah... before we were around. We as a species have pretty much been smoking it or using it some way since the very beginning. George Washington grew pot and smoked pot. As im pretty sure I stated earlier, our declaration of independence was written on hemp paper.

Did you know that one acre of cannabis can make the same amount of paper as four acres of trees? Its not illegal because it gets you high... its illegal because it would compromise so many other money making factors that our government wont allow it. Its not in their best interest.

Im glad to see so many responses.

Well imo I think drugs are really stupid of any sort to be honest. I've never done anything. As far as actually being against it I don't care because people are going to do what they want to do anyway.

[quote name='omgu8myrice']Wrong. Just because they might not influence you doesnt mean they dont influence others. Im a teenager and proud to say ive never used pot, mainly because of the negativity associated with it in society. If it were legal, and there were advertisements and such for it, i would have definitely used it by now.[/quote]Because shoot, if everyone else is doing it, then why shouldn't you? :roll:

dont forget that alcohol, unlike pot, has been a staple of human civilization for as long as its existed.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I will say that comparing weed to heroin and cocaine is a little extreme. Yes, they are illicit drugs, but surely you know that weed is not nearly as addictive as heroin. As far as I know, weed has been around for quite a while (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

[quote name='docvinh']Fair enough. I will say that comparing weed to heroin and cocaine is a little extreme. Yes, they are illicit drugs, but surely you know that weed is not nearly as addictive as heroin. As far as I know, weed has been around for quite a while (someone correct me if I'm wrong).[/QUOTE]

Here is the history timeline of use through out the world :

http://www.concept420.com/marijuana_cannabis_history_timeline.htm

And here for the US:

http://www.masscann.org/facts/Social_History.htm

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']You sure on that? Unless there's a bunch of impending legislation I can't find any trace of online, it doesn't look that way to me. If I'm reading the article correctly, it looks like Alaska, Mississippi, and Oregon are the only three states that have decriminalized marijuana...and since it's still against federal law, it's still illegal nationwide, and can be enforced as such.

This one doesn't.

Highlights:

He didn't say that, and even if he did it'd be irrelevant.

I know this topic isn't going to change your mind about anything; it seems pretty clear that you support marijuana, and that those beliefs are firm. That said, a lot of your arguments in this topic are weak, if not just plain wrong. Marijuana's illegal, it can be harmful, and I think it'd be great if you backed up your own assertion and did some research on your own.[/QUOTE]
I like how the OP ignored this quality post.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Because shoot, if everyone else is doing it, then why shouldn't you? :roll:[/QUOTE]
I don't quite think that was what he meant. It's the stigma that's associated with Cannabis use that's deterring him. If it wasn't looked so far down upon, then maybe he'd try what might be an otherwise pleasurable experience. I myself have that same very confliction, even with my cigarette habit. If people like my family were more acceptant of these things, then maybe I wouldn't have to go out of my way to hide it. I'd love to mellow out an otherwise boring friday evening in my room, with a little herbal help; instead of going outside in the cold, on the rare occasions my parents aren't home, and jaunting around like a drunkard in my neighborhood.

bread's done
Back