Live Free or Die Hard, Corpse Bride,[Blu-ray] $9.99 @Amazon

pochiz82

CAGiversary!
Amazon currently has The Fountain [Blu-ray] for $9.99.

A visually stunning, mild melting, melancholic flick. Also makes a tasty treat when combined with The Nightmare Before Christmas [Blu-ray] at $15.49 - OR - Fight Club [Blu-ray] for FREE SHIPPING.

Additional noteworthy titles ranging from $8.99 - $13.99:
2001: A Space Odyssey
A History of Violence
A Scanner Darkly
American History X
Be Kind Rewind
Blow
Children of Men
Constantine
Corpse Bride
Dark City
Descent
Dog Day Afternoon
Fargo
Full Metal Jacket
Ghostbusters
The Machinist
Live Free or Die Hard
Proposition
Raging Bull
Requiem for a Dream
Ronin
Spaceballs
Terminator: Rise of the Machines
Trading Places
Training Day
Unforgiven
V for Vendetta

All titles have been researched and are either comparable or superior to their DVD counterparts. ENJOY!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='zenintrude']If you do not own or buy A Scanner Darkly and Dark City, you do not like movies.[/QUOTE]

You mean a crappy film and one that is DNRed to death?

[quote name='GizmoGC']You mean a crappy film and one that is DNRed to death?[/QUOTE]

Wow, you are an idiot.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/263/darkcity.html

"While New Line’s tinkering isn’t nearly as detrimental as message board doomsayers are suggesting, discerning viewers will still catch several instances of edge enhancement and notice a slight application of DNR (similar to New Line’s ‘Pan’s Labyrinth’ transfer)."

That said, it's light years better than the DVD, which looks like shit.

And A Scanner Darkly being crappy... it's hard to take anyone who's playing the "Saw" video game seriously.

I'm just glad you mentioned Nightmare Before Christmas! I hadn't realized the price dropped to $15.49. I've been waiting for it to drop below $20 for a long time.

The Dark City Director's Cut is a masterpiece and highly recommended to anyone who enjoys sci-fi. I loved A Scanner Darkly but it's a little more niche so harder to recommend but even people who I know who didn't like don't think it's "crappy." That's an idiotic statement to make.

I agree that Dark City is phenomenal and anyone who likes the movie but passes on the Blu-Ray at that price simply doesn't like the movie and should be quiet.

However, A Scanner Darkly was a lame book and the film, despite its faithfulness to the book, is also lame IMO. The plot is contrived and the hippie-speak is maddening.

[quote name='Xtreem813']The Dark City Director's Cut is a masterpiece and highly recommended to anyone who enjoys sci-fi. I loved A Scanner Darkly but it's a little more niche so harder to recommend but even people who I know who didn't like don't think it's "crappy." That's an idiotic statement to make.[/QUOTE]

I wish they could put both the Dark City directors cut and the original on one disc.

[quote name='Arakias']I actually dislike the Dark City directors cut versus the original and would have preferred both versions on one disc.[/QUOTE]

Both of them are on the Dark City Blu-ray...

and let me get this straight: you prefer the version that tells you the ending at the beginning rather than the one that plays out like a noir story, the way it was intended? o_O

[quote name='zenintrude']If you do not own or buy A Scanner Darkly you do not like movies.[/QUOTE]

You're right... I only like good movies. lol

[quote name='zenintrude']Both of them are on the Dark City Blu-ray...

and let me get this straight: you prefer the version that tells you the ending at the beginning rather than the one that plays out like a noir story, the way it was intended? o_O[/QUOTE]

Since you quoted me and I had sorta removed it, 1) thanks for telling me both are on the BR, I didnt know.

and 2) You mean this quote "First there was darkness, then came the strangers." tells you the ending? Well I just spoiled it for everyone didnt I? You cant unknow the ending whether its the first time or second time. I think the tension of a noir still arises from not knowing who the "strangers" are.

I like it a bit less than the original because he adds too many more examples of the spiral/circular themes into the DC version. It isnt as tight.
Gotta love how everyone tries to be a smart ass here. So yeah, o_O back at you.

[quote name='Arakias']I think the tension of a noir still arises from not knowing who the "strangers" are.

Gotta love how everyone tries to be a smart ass here. So yeah, o_O back at you.[/QUOTE]

Lets keep the spoilers rolling!

" First, there was darkness.
Then came the Strangers.
They were a race as old as time itself.
They had mastered the ultimate technology--
the ability to alter physical reality by will alone.
They called this ability "Tuning."
But they were dying.
Their civilization was in decline,
and so they abandoned their world,
seeking a cure for their own mortality.
Their endless journey brought them to a small, blue world...
in the farthest corner of the galaxy.
Our world.
Here, they thought they had finally found...
what they had been searching for.
My name is Dr. Daniel Poe Schreber.
I am just a man.
I help the Strangers conduct their experiments.
I have betrayed my own kind."

I am sorry, but that *tells* way, way too much. Noir, by its very purpose, is supposed to function as a story in which the audience learns information as the main character learns that information. In this instance, we are given far, far too much information from the outset... and I'm fairly certain that discounts your argument that we "[don't know] who the 'strangers' are," since clearly that V.O. identifies them as alien beings. We also find out far, far too early that Schreber is associated with them, a detail that is found out later in the DC.

So yes, I fully stand by the argument that the theatrical version is inferior... akin to the terrible V.O. from Blade Runner's theatrical version.

Oh, and I've been a smart ass for a long time, buddy... and I show no signs of slowing down. Enjoy.

[quote name='zenintrude']Lets keep the spoilers rolling!

" First, there was darkness.
Then came the Strangers.
They were a race as old as time itself.
They had mastered the ultimate technology--
the ability to alter physical reality by will alone.
They called this ability "Tuning."
But they were dying.
Their civilization was in decline,
and so they abandoned their world,
seeking a cure for their own mortality.
Their endless journey brought them to a small, blue world...
in the farthest corner of the galaxy.
Our world.
Here, they thought they had finally found...
what they had been searching for.
My name is Dr. Daniel Poe Schreber.
I am just a man.
I help the Strangers conduct their experiments.
I have betrayed my own kind."

I am sorry, but that *tells* way, way too much. Noir, by its very purpose, is supposed to function as a story in which the audience learns information as the main character learns that information. In this instance, we are given far, far too much information from the outset... and I'm fairly certain that discounts your argument that we "[don't know] who the 'strangers' are," since clearly that V.O. identifies them as alien beings. We also find out far, far too early that Schreber is associated with them, a detail that is found out later in the DC.

So yes, I fully stand by the argument that the theatrical version is inferior... akin to the terrible V.O. from Blade Runner's theatrical version.

Oh, and I've been a smart ass for a long time, buddy... and I show no signs of slowing down. Enjoy.[/QUOTE]
Now I don't even have to buy it :applause: Just saved me $9.99 Thanks CAGs:roll:

[quote name='Xtreem813']The Dark City Director's Cut is a masterpiece and highly recommended to anyone who enjoys sci-fi. I loved A Scanner Darkly but it's a little more niche so harder to recommend but even people who I know who didn't like don't think it's "crappy." That's an idiotic statement to make.[/QUOTE]

this.

i loved both movies. ASD is definitely a slow and intelligent movie with a very disheartening and sad ending, may be why it turned people off. i already have both movies from the awesome WBshop sale a while back, but i am picking up flyboys, kingdom of heaven and probably nightmare before christmas.

edit: i just watched this trailer for the fountain and it looked so interesting that i think i will buy it as well. the comments at the link were also very promising. 10$ is less than the cost of a movie ticket here (nyc...) so its not too bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDp-F3Y97ZQ

[quote name='postulio']edit: i just watched this trailer for the fountain and it looked so interesting that i think i will buy it as well. the comments at the link were also very promising. 10$ is less than the cost of a movie ticket here (nyc...) so its not too bad.
[/QUOTE]

You owe it to yourself to get The Fountain... it's a great spin on what a romance movie can be, and an even more impressive show of non-CG special effects.

[quote name='postulio']

edit: i just watched this trailer for the fountain and it looked so interesting that i think i will buy it as well. the comments at the link were also very promising. 10$ is less than the cost of a movie ticket here (nyc...) so its not too bad.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the trailer it convinced me to buy it, I'll probably get Dark City with it and another movie for free shipping:)

yeah i ended up getting flyboys, kingdom of heaven (just dropped to 12.50, first time its below 15$) and the fountain.

i highly recommend A Scanner Darkly if you have patience and like movies of a suffering future. Dark City is amazing too, but doesnt have much rewatchability.

Amazon is evil start pricematching all BB black friday ad. Few blu ray movies on the list is $7.99 instead $9.99. Who want to waits few hours in the cold to save $2 b4 taxes?

Ok, so here is a quick viewer's guide to all of you who bought the Fountain, I wasn't going to do this but it doesn't spoil anything that isn't in that trailer. Working at a Blockbuster a lot of people returned this movie pissed, but wanted to watch it again once I told them this:

Only one of the stories is actually happening, and that's the present day one. The conquistador story is Izzy's book, and the "Spaceman Tom" sequences are the ending to the book. That may not make sense now, and I didn't find it that hard to get, but apparently a lot of people missed it. Enjoy, one of my top ten movies.

[quote name='zenintrude']If you do not own or buy A Scanner Darkly and Dark City, you do not like movies.[/QUOTE]
I like movies, just not ones endorsed by the twitchy-eyed Alex Jones.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']In for The Fountain. Best use of a dynamic soundtrack since Magnolia.[/QUOTE]

I like your taste, sir... The Fountain is definitely worth checking out and the story behind its creation is very interesting, as well. It turned out as good as it could have under the circumstances, but understandably misunderstood (is that an oxymoron or what?).

Also its interesting to note the use of liquids in a petri dish over cgi for many of the space effects in the film. Some claim it was for budget purposes, but Aronofsky claims its a stylistic choice and its beautiful nonetheless..

[quote name='rifle21']Ok, so here is a quick viewer's guide to all of you who bought the Fountain, I wasn't going to do this but it doesn't spoil anything that isn't in that trailer. Working at a Blockbuster a lot of people returned this movie pissed, but wanted to watch it again once I told them this:

Only one of the stories is actually happening, and that's the present day one. The conquistador story is Izzy's book, and the "Spaceman Tom" sequences are the ending to the book. That may not make sense now, and I didn't find it that hard to get, but apparently a lot of people missed it. Enjoy, one of my top ten movies.[/QUOTE]

id like to debate that with a different interpretation, my friend... either way, i enjoy the ambiguity

bought the fountain. Beautiful film, great soundtrack. Also, it's worth checking out the graphic novel, which is equally gorgeous, and goes a little more into specifics on the story.

Thinking about American History X and possibly Children of Men as well.. My DVD of American History X is scratched, so i'm quite tempted.

ah shit, 2001 also.... mannnnn

[quote name='rifle21']Ok, so here is a quick viewer's guide to all of you who bought the Fountain, I wasn't going to do this but it doesn't spoil anything that isn't in that trailer. Working at a Blockbuster a lot of people returned this movie pissed, but wanted to watch it again once I told them this:

Only one of the stories is actually happening, and that's the present day one. The conquistador story is Izzy's book, and the "Spaceman Tom" sequences are the ending to the book. That may not make sense now, and I didn't find it that hard to get, but apparently a lot of people missed it. Enjoy, one of my top ten movies.[/QUOTE]

That's one interpretation. It's a bit ambiguous and I like that. I feel that
the past is the book, the present is the past, and the future is the present and that he finally reaches understanding with life at the end and he accepts death as an act of creation, the road to awe.

[quote name='dastly75']That's one interpretation. It's a bit ambiguous and I like that. I feel that
the past is the book, the present is the past, and the future is the present and that he finally reaches understanding with life at the end and he accepts death as an act of creation, the road to awe.
[/QUOTE]

yeah that's what i took from it as well

[quote name='mang9432']yeah that's what i took from it as well[/QUOTE]

The main point of contention seems to be over the "Spaceman Tom" sequences.

There is nothing in the film (aside from the book's conquistador sequences which we seem to agree are fictional) which suggests the supernatural is at hand. If you view the cancer story-line as the only one happening and view the Spaceman scene as I do it is merely a scientist's ending to a romantic novel. It's how Tom is going to finish Izzy's story. Yes, he accepts her death in the end, but only through the recognition he is granted after having to write that last chapter. The last chapter, not actually going into space is how he "accepts death as an act of creation" as Izzy alludes to in the museum.

Oh if you have a problem with A Scanner Darkly you should probably give acid a go and revisit the film in a few months.

Philip K. Dick is balls, but Linklater is the man.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Oh if you have a problem with A Scanner Darkly you should probably give acid a go and revisit the film in a few months.

Philip K. Dick is balls, but Linklater is the man.[/QUOTE]

If being a druggie is required to enjoy the movie, I guess that explains why I wasn't into it.

Why is no one mentioning Children of men? Best Sci-Fi of this decade.
But I'm glad to see The Fountain is getting attention.

$14 is a good price for Children of Men, but you got my hopes up for it being $9.99, Kjs. Darn you. Gotta replace the HD DVD some day.

[quote name='kjs7']Why is no one mentioning Children of men? Best Sci-Fi of this decade.
But I'm glad to see The Fountain is getting attention.[/QUOTE]

I loved Children of Men from a visual and technical perspective, but the story was just meh. It never drew me in or made me care about any one in the movie, at the end I never gave one thought to how the story might continue past that point. Not knocking it at all, I just never got into it.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Dark City is garbage

I would definitely buy A Scanner Darkly if I didnt have it though[/QUOTE]

Cool story, bro.

I was chiming in on a 4 day old discussion...lol

Who put the stick up your ass?

Anyway, in for The Machinist for myself and Ghostbusters as an Xmas gift

sweeney todd and TWBB are now both back up to 17.99.

i was holding them in my cart as filler for the black friday deals week, but oh well.

bread's done
Back