Living in the Dark Ages (Saints Row 2)

duckymcfly99

CAGiversary!
My family and I have just moved (TO HELL WITH YOU BANK!!!). When we moved, it was near my birthday so presents were abound. And to anyone's guess I got a $20 gift card to the one place that spews magic like a drunken college girl, Wal-Mart. I got there and looked around the discounted games and the words of Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation rolled through my head saying that Saints Row 2 was one of his favorite games. And low and behold I saw it screaming "ZACH!!!!!!! BUY ME!!!! BUUUUUYYYYYY MMMMMEEEEEEE!" To that day, I don't think I shall ever leave my room.

Story: At the end of Saints Row, you get blown up in a boat explosion. So it makes perfect logical sense that the second one begins with you lying in a prison hospital. You customize your person, break out, and then this is where the fun starts. As you progress through the game, you learn that some gangs took over the city that you once owned and it is high time that the 3rd Street Saints rise again. There's the classical biker gang, Asian gang, and the Jamaican gang that reminds me of the group from Mercenaries 2. After your done finishing them you have to take on the big corporation, Ultor. All in all, the ending for each of the groups are very rewarding. Good story missions in a sandbox game are what makes them interesting.

Score: 9/10

Game play: The shooting here is good. It isn't amazing, but it isn't bad. The gun choosing system is pretty cool but it's not very efficient when in a fire fight and you need your rocket launcher now. Also your health drops for the dumbest reasons, like on Mercs. 2. When you fall 2 feet you go into "Rag-doll mode". This is were you go limp for a couple of seconds then get back up and act like it never happened. Really an inconvenience but it's all fine.

A good thing about it is that the level of customization is enormous here. You can deck your guy/girl out to look just like you or whatever! My guy talks and looks like the guy from "RocknRolla". It also allows for a huge amount of customizing for the cars. Your car can have nitro, be a ghetto banger, or be a kick ass muscle car. It looks like I won't be able to stop upgrading my cars for a while.

Score: 8/10 (The weapons system really lowered it from 9 to an 8)

Presentation: The voice acting is pretty good here. You can choose from 3 different voices. Either you can be the black guy, the Mexican, or the sweet ass Aussie who says motherfucker in every sentence. Amazing.

The Visuals are pretty good. They are like if you actually tried to make a game look good. The environment reacts to what you do. Fences break and trees shatter as you drive through them. Your car takes damage and flies through the air with ease when you jump it. The motorcycles are very nimble and agile. Really, it all looks and sounds good here.

Score: 9/10

This game is one of the best games I have played in a while. It is up there with Assassin's Creed II and the original Halo game. It is what San Andreas was but to another level. Really, I'm hoping for a third one, but I may just be still trying to beat the game 100% by then.
_________________________________________________________-
Questions? Comments? Money? Internet connection for me out in the middle of nowhere? Well it's simple! Just leave me a comment or send me a message.

bread's done
Back