- LOCK - Format War - HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray - LOCK -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, this is thread going too far off topic, but I'm only fanning the flames by saying that people need to stop saying the 360 sold 10 million, it shipped 10 million, I've not seen any kinds of sales numbers to indicate it has sold 10 mil (at least not domestically). For every report saying it did, there's another refuting it as shipped numbers. As for the argument at hand, well seeing as how Sony uses the same "sales figures" they could hit 10 million, but I'd say the odds are against it unless there's a price drop in the next 3-4 months.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Okay, this is thread going too far off topic, but I'm only fanning the flames by saying that people need to stop saying the 360 sold 10 million, it shipped 10 million, I've not seen any kinds of sales numbers to indicate it has sold 10 mil (at least not domestically). For every report saying it did, there's another refuting it as shipped numbers. As for the argument at hand, well seeing as how Sony uses the same "sales figures" they could hit 10 million, but I'd say the odds are against it unless there's a price drop in the next 3-4 months.[/QUOTE]

Sony actually uses 'shipped' as sold numbers for just about everything
Xbox 360 hit 10 Million consoles a while ago.

[quote name='propeller_head']we'll have to agree to disagree. i see it being mainstream by the end of 2k8 w/ the format war over and both formats surviving. and i think prices are getting to that point; i mean when i was on a limited budget and in college i still managed to wrangle up $400 for a decent 20" trinitron (man i miss trinitrons :lol:, the name was so cool. bravia sounds like a flower).[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. We both have good points, but are on opposite sides of an endless argument purely based on speculation. Agree to disagree then.

[quote name='propeller_head']well like i said, end of Q1 2k8. think of it like this, during that time amazon had the HD-A2 sale they sold 50% as many players as they had in the entire previous year.[/QUOTE]

Yea. I still think it will be a while before either BD/HD are actually showing some significant numbers. But, like you said, it's pointless to continue on discussing this. We'll just wait and see I guess.

[quote name='propeller_head']huh? no i was using it as an illustration of the thought process. of course there arent going to be as many wiis sold as dvd players. well there could be, but it would be extreeeemely improbable. i was talking about stand alone DVD players compared to consoles in general.[/QUOTE]

Oh ok. My fault, I don't know why I thought you were getting at something else.

Anyway, yea, DVD players killed consoles sales last gen, and you think the same will occur this gen, correct? I definitely agree that standalones will outsell consoles in the long run, but, I think the PS3 will kill any standalone sales for quite some time. Again, this is sorta one of those points we can continue to argue, but it will just be endless speculation.

[quote name='propeller_head']i did no such thing. i said even if they sell 10 million (i used that number because its the one ive heard estimated most often) i dont think they will outnumber stand alone players by the end of Q1 2k8 like it does now.[/QUOTE]

You're right, I jumped the gun again. My fault.

[quote name='GizmoGC']The 360 has no 'next gen' competition for an entire year, while the PS3 has the 360 with its 12+ Million base, PS3 selling 10 Million consoles by the years end :lol: [/QUOTE]

True, there are more things the PS3 has against it that the 360 didn't have, but, at its current rate, I do think it will be able to reach 10million. While the competition is much more fierce this year (compared to none last year), there will also be more consumers overrall than last year. Last year, there was probably about 15million consoles sold TOTAL (just guesstimating)). This year, there will naturally be far more consumers getting into next-gen, so, while there will be more competition for the PS3, there will also be more consumers to compete for.

and Wii with its 3.5/4+ Million fanbase.

Are you serious? I'm pretty sure the Wii is close to about 6 or 7 million by now.

So while those 3 titles are 'big', I doubt you will see people choosing a $600 system for those games when the 360 is available for much less with a much bigger library of games already.

I don't think many people will be choosing the PS3 over the 360 either (I never said that), but, like I said previously, these 3 games (along with many others) are just pushing consoles all around. There are people interested in the PS3, and they may be waiting for those titles to release, before picking it up. It may surprise you, but there are going to be more than 3 games this gen, so, while it may not make sense, to you, to pick up a PS3 when GTA, DMC, and probably MGS can be played on the 360, you have to remember there are other reasons, than those 3 games, that gamers choose one consoles over another.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Sony actually uses 'shipped' as sold numbers for just about everything
Xbox 360 hit 10 Million consoles a while ago.[/QUOTE]

I don't know which numbers are reliable, but I'm pretty sure the 360 has reached 10million. However, that 10million figure comes from the statement MS released at the end of 06, saying they 'sold' 10mill 360s at that point in time. I believe that number, at the time, was shipped, but I don't know for sure.

Back on topic, sorry:

Fox is back.

Fox Announces 22 for France
Including these yet to be seen in the US:

September 26th:

Day After Tomorrow
Independence Day
Platoon

October 24th

Predator
Commando
Robocop
Arthur and the Invisibles
The Hills Have Eyes
Ice Age
Tristan & Isolde

As well as the French film Renaissance and a few others I have never heard of.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=274

I know you saw this already Giz.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Sony actually uses 'shipped' as sold numbers for just about everything

Recently =/= a while ago. They both use shipped as sold, stop acting like only Sony does it.

Since the BD+ system is finalized, we can expect more from Fox.

It looks like STARZ (the movie channel which also owns rights to many indie horror films and kids shows) is going to start releasing on BR in Q4. now BR.com is saying that they're going exclusive to BR. but the story broke on HMM and what [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] Bill Clark (president SHE {starz home entertainment}) said was

[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] “If Blu-ray wins [the format war against HD DVD], all catalogue would go [Blu-ray], we’d hope,”[/FONT]

so again, like blockbuster they're begining releases w/ BR since the install base is larger; but they realize that although its larger its relatively tiny overall & subject to change. however they have to start somewhere, and its not economical at this point to produce on both formats because their business (& subsequently smaller customer base) isnt large enough to support the production costs at 2 different disc factories. But, again, its subject to change depending on how large the market grows and its distribution.

It looks like STARZ (the movie channel which also owns rights to many indie horror films and kids shows) is going to start releasing on BR in Q4. now BR.com is saying that they're going exclusive to BR. but the story broke on HMM and what Bill Clark (president SHE {starz home entertainment}) said was

“If Blu-ray wins [the format war against HD DVD], all catalogue would go [Blu-ray], we’d hope,”

so again, like blockbuster they're beginning releases w/ BR since the install base is larger; but they realize that although its larger its relatively tiny overall & subject to change. however they have to start somewhere, and its not economical at this point to produce on both formats because their business (& subsequently smaller customer base) isnt large enough to support the production costs at 2 different disc factories. But, again, its subject to change depending on how large the market grows and its distribution.

Well according to what propeller just linked up there (and the NPD charts I've seen and the numerous articles refuting the MS announcement) they actually didn't hit that number until maybe March/April (and those are the first numbers I'm seeing of it so i have a few doubts) and they certainly didn't hit it when they announced it last november or wahtever. But yeah, Sony is "teh evil" only using the shipped numbers and MS can't tell a lie right...

[quote name='dallow']Back on topic, sorry:

Fox is back.

I know you saw this already Giz.
[/QUOTE]

fuck yes! Predator and Platoon!

[quote name='gokou36']Recently =/= a while ago. They both use shipped as sold, stop acting like only Sony does it. [/quote]

Where have you been. Sony = teh debil

I just want to know when Buena Vista is releasing The Rock on Blu-Ray! Although that Fox line-up sounds tasty.

And doesn't NPD use the amount that Stores buy for their numbers? All companies use shipped as their barometer, as that is what makes them money.

[quote name='dpatel']fuck yes! Predator and Platoon!

Where have you been. Sony = teh debil[/QUOTE]

I know right, but I still buy their product and bash them because i'm a hypocrite!

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']And doesn't NPD use the amount that Stores buy for their numbers? All companies use shipped as their barometer, as that is what makes them money.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure they use actual numbers sold to consumers.

[quote name='dpatel']Where have you been. Sony = teh debil[/quote]
"Most people, I think, don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it?"
- Thomas Hesse, Sony's president of global digital business, responding to the outcry over Sony's DRM Rootkit spyware uncovered on its music CDs

that's sony, always looking out for the consumer :lol:;):mrgreen:

[quote name='propeller_head']"Most people, I think, don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it?"
- Thomas Hesse, Sony's president of global digital business, responding to the outcry over Sony's DRM Rootkit spyware uncovered on its music CDs

that's sony, always looking out for the consumer :lol:;):mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, I don't like Sony as a company either. I was directly poking fun at Gizmogc who acts like Sony killed his first born, while anything MS does is the greatest things ever.

Sony is a terrible company, MS is a terrible company, but I am a fan of some of their products.

EDIT: got 1000 post, if anyone cares >_>

[quote name='dpatel']Don't get me wrong, I don't like Sony as a company either. I was directly poking fun at Gizmogc who acts like Sony killed his first born, while anything MS does is the greatest things ever.

Sony is a terrible company, MS is a terrible company, but I am a fan of some of their products.

EDIT: got 1000 post, if anyone cares >_>[/quote]

Gratz, yeah I hate MS, Sony does some stupid things as well, but I will never hate any company more than I hate Apple!

[quote name='propeller_head']"Most people, I think, don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it?"

that's sony, always looking out for the consumer :lol:;):mrgreen:[/quote]

"Y'know, things break" - Peter Moore on 360 failure rate.

No one is a saint.

[quote name='dallow']"Y'know, things break" - Peter Moore on 360 failure rate.

No one is a saint.[/quote] well MS did extend its warranty & offers a another year warranty every time u get it repaired. its got a crappy retainer, its a design flaw.

sony put rootkits on their cds, rootkits... that would be like MS sending you a worm w/ a backdoor windows update.

[quote name='propeller_head']well MS did extend its warranty & offers a another year warranty every time u get it repaired. its got a crappy retainer, its a design flaw.

sony put rootkits on their cds, rootkits... that would be like MS sending you a worm w/ a backdoor windows update.[/QUOTE]

You got half of it right. You do NOT get a full year warranty after you get it repaired if you use your warranty, you only get 3months. Now if you pay for your repair, you get the full year warranty.

Edit : Btw, isn't the DRM crap in Vista? I read it somewhere.

I'm still waiting for confirmation that "Fox is back" on Blu-Ray. BD+ is ready to go, and that makes them happy. Nevertheless, future releases have been announced for Japan and France at this time. It would be silly to not work towards releases in the US, but for the moment, they haven't said anything.

On another note, Columbia House expects to start carrying BR and HD discs in the fall of this year. That would be another step in helping increase the market share for hi-def videos.

[quote name='mykevermin']I'm still waiting for confirmation that "Fox is back" on Blu-Ray. BD+ is ready to go, and that makes them happy. Nevertheless, future releases have been announced for Japan and France at this time. It would be silly to not work towards releases in the US, but for the moment, they haven't said anything.

On another note, Columbia House expects to start carrying BR and HD discs in the fall of this year. That would be another step in helping increase the market share for hi-def videos.[/QUOTE]

Fox is not back until they announce and release titles here in America. Announcing titles in Japan and France means nothing to me and many others as they are region coded to not play on American Blu-Ray players. Its great that they announced some decent titles, but it does not mean squat until they do something here in America.

As for BD+....What happens when this gets cracked? Is Fox going to delay more titles for BD++? I had a handful of titles I was planning on buying before they 'delayed' them, and The Hills Have Eyes is a MUST for me in Blu-Ray, even if the DVD looks awesome upconverted.

[quote name='thamaster24']Don't know if this is old news or not... I haven't really been following this thread, but blockbuster has "pretty much" taken a side.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?id=2515[/QUOTE]

Welcome to 5 days ago. We know. Some see it as a big, some don't. Blockbuster simply decided to carry Blu-Ray in 1,500 of their 6,000 stores and keep HD DVD at the 250 so far. It can change at any time, but Blockbuster felt this would be good to do. Some call this the final straw for HD DVD, some don't think it will matter.

[quote name='propeller_head']well MS did extend its warranty & offers a another year warranty every time u get it repaired. its got a crappy retainer, its a design flaw.

sony put rootkits on their cds, rootkits... that would be like MS sending you a worm w/ a backdoor windows update.[/quote]

The warranty was originally 90 days, extended to 1 year because of high failure rates.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Welcome to 5 days ago. We know. Some see it as a big, some don't. Blockbuster simply decided to carry Blu-Ray in 1,500 of their 6,000 stores and keep HD DVD at the 250 so far. It can change at any time, but Blockbuster felt this would be good to do. Some call this the final straw for HD DVD, some don't think it will matter.[/QUOTE]
Blockbuster does not have 6000 stores. They only have 1700.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Fox is not back until they announce and release titles here in America.[/QUOTE]

You type this like you're disagreeing with me, but that's exactly what I said.

[quote name='propeller_head']uh, thats what i said. what's your point exactly?[/quote]

Sorry, didn't read that first part. I got the impression you were acting like MS was a saint and offered a 1 year warranty, which I don't like.

Well, had my first experience with this war tonight. Went over a friend's for the afternoon and evening and watched a Blu-Ray movie, Night at the Museum

Overall, while crisp, I still don't see the benefit in spending hundrereds of dollars on a new player and more money for stripped-down movie releases vs. upconverted DVDs. Now, there was a difference in the setups. They had a 50-something inch Sony 1080p set, vs. my 32" 1080i/720p. I'm sure upconverted DVDs would show more signs of degradation on a screen like they had. But overall, I just don't see the point in theory and now having seen it in action in a real setting (as opposed to in-store), it just seems like too much too soon. But, I'm also cheap, so how does my opinion factor into something like this at all? ;)

[quote name='daroga']Well, had my first experience with this war tonight. Went over a friend's for the afternoon and evening and watched a Blu-Ray movie, Night at the Museum

Overall, while crisp, I still don't see the benefit in spending hundrereds of dollars on a new player and more money for stripped-down movie releases vs. upconverted DVDs. Now, there was a difference in the setups. They had a 50-something inch Sony 1080p set, vs. my 32" 1080i/720p. I'm sure upconverted DVDs would show more signs of degradation on a screen like they had. But overall, I just don't see the point in theory and now having seen it in action in a real setting (as opposed to in-store), it just seems like too much too soon. But, I'm also cheap, so how does my opinion factor into something like this at all? ;)[/QUOTE]

To be fair, Night at the Musuem on DVD looked awesome upconverted on my A2 (Blockbuster did not carry Night on Blu-Ray online or instore, ugh).

[quote name='Lil Stinky']I think he was talking about stores that Blockbuster actually owns. The rest are owned by private operators with a Blockbuster franchise contract.[/QUOTE]

...(4,708 company-operated and 1,095 franchised).....

Lost

The high-definition DVD version of the Discovery Channel and BBC’s Planet Earth has sold about 45,000 copies. That’s “one for every five owners of a high-def disc machine, a ratio only a handful of DVDs have ever come close to,” USA TODAY reports.

Those sales translate to $3.2 million, “the biggest moneymaker yet to hit Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD.” The set actually has “a list price of nearly $100 costs more than the average DVD player,” although it retails for around $65—still more than many DVD players.

The four-disc high-definition set has been available in both HD-DVD and Blu-ray; both have the British narration by David Attenborough, and are not the Sigourney Weaver-narrated US version. There’s also a standard DVD version. Today, the Discovery Channel starts selling HD versions of the US version.

Warner Home Video’s Ron Sanders tells the paper, “This series was made for high definition. Its success points to consumers wanting to see and hear high-definition content, and there isn’t a huge amount of content available from broadcast or cable or satellite.”

The BBC’s Burton Cromer tells the paper, “In a month and a half, we’ve sold more copies of Planet Earth across all three formats than we’ve sold of The Office or Fawlty Towers. And we don’t see any letup; in fact, we’re selling more units a day than when we first streeted.”

He attributes that success in part to Oprah, who talked about the series during two episodes of her show. “If you don’t think I have a shrine to Oprah set up in my office, you’re wrong,” he said.
‘Planet Earth’ looks great in HD — and to the BBC [USA TODAY]

Damn. There is a reason why its been in the Top 10 (usually top 5) on Amazon for so damn long. Now, why did the HD DVD version sell better then the Blu-Ray one? There is that magic 'ratio' word which they are proud to use as well.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Damn. There is a reason why its been in the Top 10 (usually top 5) on Amazon for so damn long. Now, why did the HD DVD version sell better then the Blu-Ray one? There is that magic 'ratio' word which they are proud to use as well.[/quote]
Does that count the number of people mistakenly buying it thinking it was some cool super DVD version of it?

For those looking to get a Blu-Ray player (not a PS3) there are many great options now.

The new Sony (which plays CDs, unlike the model before) retails for $499.99
The new Samsung now retails for $599.99
The Panasonic is not $599.99
The Pioneer (with 5 free movies in the box including both Pirates) is $599.99
For some reason the original Sony Blu-Ray player still retails for $799.99 but I'm sure that will drop soon.

The Samsung one really tempts me....but I think I will holdout until we see the Dual format one sometime in the next few months (rumored to cost only 10% more then the Blu-Ray version). Hopefully by then the current model will drop and the Dual Player can be had for $400 or so. As always, it is unknown if ANY of these players will be BD-J compliant after October 31st so still buy at your own risk. I know this is a video game board and you are more likely to have a PS3 then a standalone, but for some, they might prefer the standalone.

[quote name='dallow']Does that count the number of people mistakenly buying it thinking it was some cool super DVD version of it?[/QUOTE]

:lol: I can't imagine there were very many people who did, but the same can be said for the version in the cool blue case, lol. I watched someone return Pirates on Blu-Ray because it wouldn't play in their DVD Player and the girl at the return desk didn't know why it wouldn't. I had to explain to her and the customer why it wouldn't. Silly uninformed people.

[quote name='GizmoGC']For those looking to get a Blu-Ray player (not a PS3) there are many great options now.

For some reason the original Sony Blu-Ray player still retails for $799.99 but I'm sure that will drop soon.

The Samsung one really tempts me....but I think I will holdout until we see the Dual format one sometime in the next few months (rumored to cost only 10% more then the Blu-Ray version). Hopefully by then the current model will drop and the Dual Player can be had for $400 or so. As always, it is unknown if ANY of these players will be BD-J compliant after October 31st so still buy at your own risk. I know this is a video game board and you are more likely to have a PS3 then a standalone, but for some, they might prefer the standalone.[/QUOTE]

Is this the same Pioneer player that used to be like $1500? If so that's a hell of a deal for that guy (but IIRC it didn't play CDs and I know they have new one that was supposed to be rolling out).

[quote name='GizmoGC']Damn. There is a reason why its been in the Top 10 (usually top 5) on Amazon for so damn long. Now, why did the HD DVD version sell better then the Blu-Ray one? There is that magic 'ratio' word which they are proud to use as well.[/QUOTE]

I dare you to point me to a *SINGLE* sentence (or even a single WORD) in either the quote you have, or the article it is derived from, that says the HD DVD version has sold more, or even at a higher ratio, than the BR version.

Double dog dare you.

Fact is, the article (full text here) talks about BR and HD throughout without making any delineation between the two. They talk about the ratio of videos sold relative to players (though it is clear from the article, since they mention roughly 250K players have been sold in the US, that they are omitting PS3), but if you actually re-read the article, there is nothing, not a drop, of information that shows how one format performed compared to the other in sales of this video set.

:lol: Of course, :lol: for good measure, I notice that you stepped around the fact that the series has sold 45,000 since release (two months ago, nearly to the day), when you guffawed at the sales of the Pirates movies on BR in their first week of release (47K combined).

So, at any rate, find me something supporting either format in this article. Oh, yeah...you guys get exclusive FLY-FISHING VIDEOS! OMG TEH WARZ ARE OVAR!

No, seriously...show me where they talk about Planet Earth's performance on BR and HD DVD. Also, forgive me for actually reading the sources that you so frequently misinterpret. :lol:

EDIT: From the looks of it, the quote you cite above is a dreadfully butchered version of the USA Today article. For one, the USA Today article says that 45K sets have been sold all around, not for HD or BR individually. The sales ratio is also used in the same way. Click the link I provide to read the genuine article. Where in the world did you get that quote from? An HD DVD blog? It's, regretfully, a totally misinformed and skewed take on the article.

[quote name='GizmoGC']For those looking to get a Blu-Ray player (not a PS3) there are many great options now.

The Samsung one really tempts me....but I think I will holdout until we see the Dual format one sometime in the next few months (rumored to cost only 10% more then the Blu-Ray version). Hopefully by then the current model will drop and the Dual Player can be had for $400 or so. As always, it is unknown if ANY of these players will be BD-J compliant after October 31st so still buy at your own risk. I know this is a video game board and you are more likely to have a PS3 then a standalone, but for some, they might prefer the standalone.[/QUOTE]

You didn't answer this the last time I brought it up, so I'll ask again: given that the PS3 is as good a BR player as any other (and given its quality as an upscaling DVD player), why in the world are you so dead-set on getting rid of something you already own so you can spend the *EXACT* same amount of money (or $100 more if you bought the 20GB! :lol:) on something that performs the *PRECISE* tasks you already can with the PS3 (except play games)? That's the single most asinine attitude I've seen on these boards, and I merely want some insight into how your mind thinks that you should spend more money to buy something that does less of what you already can do.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Is this the same Pioneer player that used to be like $1500? If so that's a hell of a deal for that guy (but IIRC it didn't play CDs and I know they have new one that was supposed to be rolling out).[/QUOTE]

IIRC, its slightly different. I *think* this one does play CDs.

[quote name='mykevermin']I dare you to point me to a *SINGLE* sentence (or even a single WORD) in either the quote you have, or the article it is derived from, that says the HD DVD version has sold more, or even at a higher ratio, than the BR version.

Double dog dare you.

Fact is, the article (full text here) talks about BR and HD throughout without making any delineation between the two. They talk about the ratio of videos sold relative to players (though it is clear from the article, since they mention roughly 250K players have been sold in the US, that they are omitting PS3), but if you actually re-read the article, there is nothing, not a drop, of information that shows how one format performed compared to the other in sales of this video set.

:lol: Of course, :lol: for good measure, I notice that you stepped around the fact that the series has sold 45,000 since release (two months ago, nearly to the day), when you guffawed at the sales of the Pirates movies on BR in their first week of release (47K combined).

So, at any rate, find me something supporting either format in this article. Oh, yeah...you guys get exclusive FLY-FISHING VIDEOS! OMG TEH WARZ ARE OVAR![/quote]

They seemed pretty damn happy to make mention about the ratio of the HD DVD to HD DVD standalone sales, yet never mentioned the Blu-Ray version. Still unknown if they really mean 'HD DVD' or just 'HD' formats in general. The article sucks, but hey, I'll post it anyway since I'm just that kinda guy. I'll post whatever I want and see the reactions just for fun.

As for Pirates, those were both brand new releases of 2 hit movies (DVD releases have pretty bad transfer to boot) with a sequel coming out the week after, T-Shirts, Cereal etc. It should have sold WAY more then The Matrix or the Planet Earth boxset. Again, its MSRP is $30 while the Planet Earth is close to $100. So yes, it SHOULD have sold much more for a format with x amount of Blu-Ray players sold (are we counting the PS3 today? Who the hell knows). We've been over this months ago but again, feel free to rehash yet again.

You didn't answer this the last time I brought it up, so I'll ask again: given that the PS3 is as good a BR player as any other (and given its quality as an upscaling DVD player), why in the world are you so dead-set on getting rid of something you already own so you can spend the *EXACT* same amount of money (or $100 more if you bought the 20GB! :lol:) on something that performs the *PRECISE* tasks you already can with the PS3 (except play games)? That's the single most asinine attitude I've seen on these boards, and I merely want some insight into how your mind thinks that you should spend more money to buy something that does less of what you already can do.

Becuase I don't need another useless videogame system sitting around. Simple as that. I find the PS3 to be one of the worst videogame systems ever made with a bunch of ports and have no interest in playing any of the games. Its a pain in the ass to update the firmware by plugging in the damn controller that I never have around because of the 0 games I play on it. Its as simple as that. Feel free to post 'Well, Motorstorm looks awesome', because I simply don't care. The only game (DMC4) I had interest now, surprise surprise, is going to be on the Xbox 360. Uncoverting means crap to me as my A2 upconverts much better then the PS3. The only game I have any interest in is Kingdom Hearts 3, and who knows is that really will be a PS3 exclusive due to the many reason as why many PS3 exclusive games are jumping onto the format neutral ship.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Becuase I don't need another useless videogame system sitting around. Simple as that. I find the PS3 to be one of the worst videogame systems ever made with a bunch of ports and have no interest in playing any of the games. Its a pain in the ass to update the firmware by plugging in the damn controller that I never have around because of the 0 games I play on it. Its as simple as that. Feel free to post 'Well, Motorstorm looks awesome', because I simply don't care. The only game (DMC4) I had interest now, surprise surprise, is going to be on the Xbox 360. Uncoverting means crap to me as my A2 upconverts much better then the PS3. The only game I have any interest in is Kingdom Hearts 3, and who knows is that really will be a PS3 exclusive due to the many reason as why many PS3 exclusive games are jumping onto the format neutral ship.[/QUOTE]

So, what do you gain by dropping your PS3 for a standalone? I still don't see the logic. Maybe I'm just blind.

[quote name='GizmoGC']They seemed pretty damn happy to make mention about the ratio of the HD DVD to HD DVD standalone sales, yet never mentioned the Blu-Ray version. Still unknown if they really mean 'HD DVD' or just 'HD' formats in general. The article sucks, but hey, I'll post it anyway since I'm just that kinda guy. I'll post whatever I want and see the reactions just for fun.[/quote]

Now, as for what USA Today said before the blog (whom you've still failed to mention as a source) scrambled it up:

Even so, consumers have spent $3.2 million buying the four-disc Planet Earth set, which with a list price of nearly $100 costs more than the average DVD player. At an average street price of $70, that translates to about 45,000 sets, or one for every five owners of a high-def disc machine — a ratio only a handful of DVDs have ever come close to. The set contains the original version of the landmark nature show narrated by David Attenborough, which clocks in at 550 minutes.

Again, if you *read* the USA Today article, you would understand that at no point in the article do they discern between HD DVD and BR performance of the set. It's foolish, then, to think that the ambiguous phrase "high-def disc" means HD-DVD, since, well, BR is a "high-def disc" too; moreover, they aren't comparing the new formats' performance to each other, the article is comparing the new formats' performance compared to DVD. Which, of course, is dismal.

As for Pirates, those were both brand new releases of 2 hit movies (DVD releases have pretty bad transfer to boot) with a sequel coming out the week after, T-Shirts, Cereal etc. It should have sold WAY more then The Matrix or the Planet Earth boxset. Again, its MSRP is $30 while the Planet Earth is close to $100. So yes, it SHOULD have sold much more for a format with x amount of Blu-Ray players sold (are we counting the PS3 today? Who the hell knows). We've been over this months ago but again, feel free to rehash yet again.

I'm just pointing out that you use facts when convenient, and ignore them when damaging. You can cling onto that "ratio" measurement, however, as much as you like. If it means something to you, then so be it; after all, it is one of the remaining bits of "data" that HD DVD adherents can cling to.

Becuase I don't need another useless videogame system sitting around. Simple as that. I find the PS3 to be one of the worst videogame systems ever made with a bunch of ports and have no interest in playing any of the games. Its a pain in the ass to update the firmware by plugging in the damn controller that I never have around because of the 0 games I play on it. Its as simple as that. Feel free to post 'Well, Motorstorm looks awesome', because I simply don't care. The only game (DMC4) I had interest now, surprise surprise, is going to be on the Xbox 360. Uncoverting means crap to me as my A2 upconverts much better then the PS3. The only game I have any interest in is Kingdom Hearts 3, and who knows is that really will be a PS3 exclusive due to the many reason as why many PS3 exclusive games are jumping onto the format neutral ship.

:lol: You're going to great lengths and great expenses to get rid of such trifling nuisances. For the record, I don't own, nor like, Motorstorm. I just think it's inherently silly to get rid of something that does "X, Y, and Z" so you can spend more money (unless you sell your PS3 for MSRP!) to get something that solely does "X." If it makes you happy, then it makes you happy. It's easily the silliest thing I've read in ages, but hey, you did answer my question. 2 points for you.

[quote name='dpatel']So, what do you gain by dropping your PS3 for a standalone? I still don't see the logic. Maybe I'm just blind.[/QUOTE]

A dual player as I am pretty sure I plan on waiting it out for one.
What does that gain me? An extra HDMI slot on the back of my TV, no need to hook up a controller I can never find to update my firmware, not having a Sony in my entertainment center, getting rid of an extra component since it will play both etc.

Unlike most people here, I am Blu-Ray supporter by choice. For some (many people who post in this thread), its there only option as it came with the PS3 they purchased. As they are less likely to purchase an HD DVD player or the add-on for the 360 its their only way to watch high definition movies on their TV (discs, not downloads). I will gladly buy the first Samsung Dual player that rolls off the line.

Oh ok. Makes sense if you're getting a Dual Player, but I could've sworn that you were going to drop the PS3 for a standalone BD player at first.

[quote name='mykevermin']I'm just pointing out that you use facts when convenient, and ignore them when damaging. You can cling onto that "ratio" measurement, however, as much as you like. If it means something to you, then so be it; after all, it is one of the remaining bits of "data" that HD DVD adherents can cling to. [/quote]

Yeah, and all those new releases we will be enjoying over the summer while Blu-Ray gets next to none with no support from Fox andDisney, and very little from Sony/MGM. Enjoy it.

:lol: You're going to great lengths and great expenses to get rid of such trifling nuisances. For the record, I don't own, nor like, Motorstorm. I just think it's inherently silly to get rid of something that does "X, Y, and Z" so you can spend more money (unless you sell your PS3 for MSRP!) to get something that solely does "X." If it makes you happy, then it makes you happy. It's easily the silliest thing I've read in ages, but hey, you did answer my question. 2 points for you.

A 60GB PS3 could net me about $450 or so on CL which is much more then I actually paid for it. I'll gladly pay a bit more for something that plays both formats on one machine and one HDMI cable. Considering I can still sell my A2 for some extra $$ I wouldn't be out anything but an extra component.

I only bought a PS3 for Blu-Ray in January. Ive made that clear many many times. It was the cheapest way to get into the format so I had no choice. I imagine as more Blu-Ray players come out with cheaper prices you will see a lot more PS3 players go up for sale as HT enthusiasts start selling there 'game machine' for an actual player.

[quote name='dpatel']Oh ok. Makes sense if you're getting a Dual Player, but I could've sworn that you were going to drop the PS3 for a standalone BD player at first.[/QUOTE]

Nope, a Dual Format player that is BD-J compliant. I wouldn't touch the current LG one unless it was $200 or less considering its crippled on the HD DVD department and did not get the greatest reviews anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back