Logitech G27 Wheel $209.99 + FS @ Logitech Store

Oh snap, now we're talking. I've been sitting on the Force GT deal for the past day trying to decide if I wanted to bite on it or wait for a G27 deal. I think I might go with this.

[quote name='GutshotGary']Great for Gran Turismo 5 if it ever comes out![/QUOTE]

It maybe *OK* for GT5. The Driving Force GT wheel has consistently been positioned as the wheel "made for" GT5.

I'd be thrilled if GT5 displays an option screen specific to the G27 that shows the functions that have been assigned to all the buttons, or - better yet - lets you customize them, as well as the LEDs... but I'm not holding my breath.

Doesn't GT5P support all that stuff? I know it for sure supports the shifter, which to be honest is the only reason I want the G27 over the Force GT. The LED's and stuff is nice, but having a "real" shifter is the most important thing IMO.

[quote name='dudejeff22']Doesn't GT5P support all that stuff? I know it for sure supports the shifter, which to be honest is the only reason I want the G27 over the Force GT. The LED's and stuff is nice, but having a "real" shifter is the most important thing IMO.[/QUOTE]

I agree on wanting support for the G27's shifter, but the "real" part depends on what car you're driving. Many race cars use sequential or paddle shifters.

Well G27 has paddles so I'm not too concerned about that, I just like having the H-shifter available for the "normal" cars you'll be able to use in GT5. Since support for the G27 is great in GT5P, I see no reason why it would be downgraded in GT5, especially since Logitech is somewhat shacked up with Sony. Worse case scenario is a PSN patch, imo.

Why is it in nearly every thread I read today people are arguementative and rude, rather than just thanking the OP for letting others know about a great deal? Don't mean to threadjack, but te rudeness just needs to STOP.

As for the deal, its a long story, but i endec up with a G25 at least a year ago and its awesome. The G25 and G27 have been planned to work from the beginning, and while the "pro" has an on-wheel adjustment the g25/g27 dont have... Ill take the move expensive wheel everytime... If its a good deal.

Not sure if Id pay $200 for it, but thats for each gamer to decide. Thanks for the post OP!!! ;)

[quote name='merkman']Why is it in nearly every thread I read today people are arguementative and rude, rather than just thanking the OP for letting others know about a great deal? Don't mean to threadjack, but te rudeness just needs to STOP.[/QUOTE]

What you find argumentative and rude, others may call "discussion." If the only proper response to a thread is to thank the OP, then all the threads should auto-close on posting, and we can just PM our thanks to the OP.

[quote name='merkman']Ill take the move expensive wheel everytime... [/QUOTE]

You may be on the wrong site.

As an owner, I don't think this is a bad product or a bad price. However, I'm pointing out a couple of things that I would want to know if I was still shopping:

1) If I was buying a wheel specifically for GT5, I'd give strong consideration to the wheel that Sony itself uses at shows like E3: the Driving Force GT. I'm sure they could afford a few G27s. That's not to say the G27 won't basically work - I'm sure it will - or even that it won't be fully supported (I hope it will be).

2) The build quality on the G27 is great (particularly the pedals), but the design does come with compromises: the separate shifter and hidden cable connections/cable notches mean it's more work to setup and put away than the GT. If you have a dedicated stand/seat, it's not an issue, but for others, it's something to think about.

God I'd love to pull the trigger on this....I'm too close to broke though, I've been spending too much lately. Thanks for posting though!

Might be a dumb question, but do the clutch pedal and gear shift provide actual feedback? Or are they just there to go through the motions?

[quote name='MICHGoBlue']Might be a dumb question, but do the clutch pedal and gear shift provide actual feedback? Or are they just there to go through the motions?[/QUOTE]

As far as I recall, the only feedback is in the wheel itself, not the pedal or gear shift. Although since I had the shifter mounted to the same surface as the wheel, the vibrations from the wheel were transmitted to the shifter.

Feedback might not be the right word.

Resistance might be better. Do both the clutch pedal and gear shift have any sort of resistance/feel? If so, is the resistance/feel dynamic to whichever car you're driving?

I own a RX-8, so I am admittedly spoiled when it comes to the joy of shifting a car manually.

[quote name='MICHGoBlue']Feedback might not be the right word.

Resistance might be better. Do both the clutch pedal and gear shift have any sort of resistance/feel? If so, is the resistance/feel dynamic to whichever car you're driving?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the clutch and shifter offer some resistance, the clutch particularly so. As I mentioned before, the pedal construction is probably the most noteworthy aspect of the G27. Dynamic resistance based on the vehicle you're driving? No - that would be feedback. If you're looking to experience the difference between, say, a Borg-Warner T-5 with Hurst short-throw shifter in an old V-8 Mustang and your RX-8, sorry.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Are you fucking kidding me ? so CHEAP ASS gamers buy a race wheel for $209.xx !!!

that is insane, especially for a cheap ass.[/QUOTE]

Being a cheap ass doesn't mean I don't like quality.

This is a pretty sweet deal, I bought one on Amazon when it was $225 and love it.

Anybody who's serious about GT5 should seriously get this wheel for this price. They already confirmed this wheel will be fully supported in GT5. Everything works in GT5P except the paddle shifters and the LED lights. (Yes, the clutch does work, just hit triangle on the shifter part during the race to deactivate the auto-clutch)

Do you see this being any cheaper by the time the game releases?

I've never played any of the GT's before but I'm very intrigued to give it a try using a sweet wheel setup. Never been a big racing fan but the idea of force feedback and a wheel with tons of cars sounds pretty cool. I always liked driving games at the arcade just for the immersion factor.

There might be some decent combo deals (wheel + GT5) when the game actually launches, but there's no way to know for sure. This wheel hasn't been much cheaper (online) in the past.

I've read that while the clutch works in GT5P it doesn't really do anything except allow you to shift, kind of like an on/off button. Is that true? Or can you stall your car by not using it properly?

You can stall your car by not shifting properly. It makes it very annoying because if you don't time your shift with the clutch properly, you'll just shift into neutral. At that point, you have to hold the clutch again, go out of the gear you're shifting to and then back into it. Sounds simple enough but you obviously want to do this as fast as possible so messing up once likely means you screw up 2-3 times on one shift.

At least GT5P gives you a tiny benefit. I don't know if it's just me but when I use the clutch vs just leaving it on auto-clutch, it definitely feels like you shift faster with the clutch. There's a delay with auto-clutch and a friend of mine that tried it said he agrees and actually knew exactly what I was going to say when I brought up the topic of the clutch with GT5P. I'm not sure if we're both making the same mistake, but it definitely feels as if you shift faster while using the clutch pedal.

[quote name='Smallville123']I bought this back when best buy had it on sale for 150. Best racing wheel ever......[/QUOTE]

Ditto. So sweet it works for PC and PS3. Can't wait to use this on GT5.

well if anyone interested, i have an extra brand new G27 sell for $200. only if the person willing to come and pick it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious if anyone here is interested in the Fanatec GT3RS instead? IIRC it is also $200, comes with wheel and the clubsport pedals- which are incredible pedals, and far superior to the Logitech ones. You'd have to pay extra for a stick shifter, but it's not required and IMO you're getting a better product (single belt drive FF motor vs. dual gear-drive FF motors, force-based brake pedal sensing vs. displacement-based brake pedal sensor, real alcantara leather, etc).

[quote name='FrankTheTank3388']You can stall your car by not shifting properly. It makes it very annoying because if you don't time your shift with the clutch properly, you'll just shift into neutral. At that point, you have to hold the clutch again, go out of the gear you're shifting to and then back into it. Sounds simple enough but you obviously want to do this as fast as possible so messing up once likely means you screw up 2-3 times on one shift.

At least GT5P gives you a tiny benefit. I don't know if it's just me but when I use the clutch vs just leaving it on auto-clutch, it definitely feels like you shift faster with the clutch. There's a delay with auto-clutch and a friend of mine that tried it said he agrees and actually knew exactly what I was going to say when I brought up the topic of the clutch with GT5P. I'm not sure if we're both making the same mistake, but it definitely feels as if you shift faster while using the clutch pedal.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that sounds pretty legit. I guess I will pick one up. Thanks for the help.

[quote name='darkchild81']Wow, that sounds pretty legit. I guess I will pick one up. Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]
I'm still not convinced. I feel I'd have to actually try playing with the wheel setup to really decide if it's worth the extra $200+ investment.

These are from the recent GT5 press event in Taiwan:

2vb0ubp.jpg

30ti1c6.jpg

Clearly the G27 will be supported. I mean, I already knew that due to common sense, but if you happen to lack that superpower then here is your confirmation.

[quote name='dudejeff22']Clearly the G27 will be supported. I mean, I already knew that due to common sense, but if you happen to lack that superpower then here is your confirmation.[/QUOTE]

The photos imply that the G27 works with GT5, which nobody here has questioned. The speculation here is the degree to which GT5 will support the various features of the G27. We may have to wait until GT5 comes out to know for sure, unless you have a contact at PD or use your other, equally well-developed superpower, clairvoyance. I'm not holding my breath.

[quote name='gantt']The photos imply that the G27 works with GT5, which nobody here has questioned. The speculation here is the degree to which GT5 will support the various features of the G27. We may have to wait until GT5 comes out to know for sure, unless you have a contact at PD or use your other, equally well-developed superpower, clairvoyance. I'm not holding my breath.[/QUOTE]

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=123610

The paddle shifters and LED lights are the only features that don't work with GT5P, if those work with the demo, you better know they'll work with the full version.

Besides, why would you doubt PD with the wheel? Is there a single game developer out there that is even close to the level of detail PD has? Why would they care so much about detail but not incorporate all the features of a wheel that's been around for over a year? I don't even know why anybody would doubt this unless they're just mad at PD since they keep delaying the game.

The fact of the matter is that Logitech barely supports the Xbox 360, in fact they've discontinued most of the products they made that did in fact work with the system. There is obviously something going on behind the scenes with them and Sony. The Force GT is being pushed the hardest because it is the most economical and likely to be purchased by the casual fans, however the G27 is clearly an upgrade from the Force and given the aforementioned relationship between Logitech and Sony, I think it is extremely safe to assume the wheel will be supported.

And again, Sony is using the G27 at official GT5 press events to show the game off. I mean, how much more obvious can it get? The wheel will be supported, and if any feature are lacking/subpar you can expect patches via PSN. Common sense.

[quote name='dudejeff22']The fact of the matter is that Logitech barely supports the Xbox 360, in fact they've discontinued most of the products they made that did in fact work with the system. There is obviously something going on behind the scenes with them and Sony.[/QUOTE]

Logitech's racing wheel products (or lack thereof) for the 360 have more to do with what goes on behind the scenes with Logitech and Microsoft, at least per conversations I've had with industry people. Sony and LOGI, by contrast, have a very public relationship.

[quote name='dudejeff22']The Force GT is being pushed the hardest because it is the most economical and likely to be purchased by the casual fans[/QUOTE]

And/or because Yamauchi-san worked with LOGI to create the DFGT specifically with GT5 in mind.

[quote name='dudejeff22']Sony is using the G27 at official GT5 press events to show the game off. I mean, how much more obvious can it get?[/QUOTE]

This obvious: a quote from LOGI, Sony or PD saying the wheel will be fully supported, or better yet, a capture of the setup screen in GT5 showing the G27 (wheel and shifter) controls and mappings. Please. It'll put a big grin on my face.

[quote name='dudejeff22']The wheel will be supported, and if any feature are lacking/subpar you can expect patches via PSN. Common sense.[/QUOTE]

LOL. By this definition, it will also support the G31, 4D, and Dolby 11.1. Patch coming any day now. You must work in marketing. If not, you've missed your calling.

[quote name='dudejeff22']Well buddy, we'll see who's right by the end of the year, hopefully. (Me)[/QUOTE]

Your position is that it's fully supported, while mine is that it may or may not be. The beauty is, I'm right either way. See, while you should be in marketing, I should be in law. :)

Anyway, enjoy your wheel(s) everybody! And let us not forget that however it turns out with GT5, there are also other driving games worth playing with these...

bread's done
Back