Logitech Harmony 520 remote $29.95 shipped (eBay homepage deal of the day)

Mine just came a couple of days ago. Make sure you go to the logitech website and get the most updated software. The one that comes with the remote ran slow as shit. Anyway, I loves this remote!

Last edited by a moderator:
purchased one also, expected delivery on 12/23, can't wait
i have 3 remotes in my bedroom, i'm hoping to turn all of them into this controller

quick question, this is compatible with the 360 right?

[quote name='greyzieoriental']purchased one also, expected delivery on 12/23, can't wait
i have 3 remotes in my bedroom, i'm hoping to turn all of them into this controller

quick question, this is compatible with the 360 right?[/quote]

Its compatible with almost everything, as is every Harmony remote since the first ones. Works great on a 360, except I have to point it just right at it (a Harmony One anyway).

I just bought one and there are 1.1k left. I hope it works with my home theater that will not work will the universal that came with my tv.

I've been curious on these all in one remotes, especially since I always have to bust out three or four remotes at a time. Could someone tell me if the 520 will support any or all of the following:

Samsung 1080p LCD
Comcast Motorolla Cable Box
Kenwood VR615 Home Theater
PS3
Xbox 360
Wii
PS2
PC (such as mapping keyboard commands for opening media player and such)
3x1 HDMI switch
Samton Hi Fi VCR (hardly used, but might as well ask)

If this remote can at least handle the TV, Comcast Cable Box, and Home Theater, then I would definitely place an order.

PS3 and Wii are bluetooth, 360 is IR.

I would imagine most devices you have are IR. My LG TV, Altec Lansing speakers, cable box, and Atlone component switch are all IR.

I'd say your TV, cable box and home theater are almost a sure bet.

Okay, I checked the logitech database, and it confirmed most of my devices (even the Wii), with the exception of the PS3. Seems kind of silly that it can work on PS2 but not PS3, but maybe a firmware update can take care of that one day?

As for my PC, which is custom built, am I to search by my graphics card? I have an Nvidia Geforce 8800GT, and it says that the compatibility isn't confirmed, but that the remote can easily be programed to read it.

Regardless, it can read most of my devices, so I'm placing an order.

[quote name='SOLDIER']Okay, I checked the logitech database, and it confirmed most of my devices (even the Wii), with the exception of the PS3. Seems kind of silly that it can work on PS2 but not PS3, but maybe a firmware update can take care of that one day.[/QUOTE]
When I tried to program my remote to control the Wii it said it was a bluetooth device.

Also, the PS3 con't be controlled because the Harmony remote is IR, and PS3 uses bluetooth. You would need to get an IR dongle for your PS3.

How much do those go for? Not that this is a major priority, since I don't have a problem using the harmony remote and the PS3 controller together. If it can control my PC while I have it displayed on my Samsung TV, I would be real happy.

[quote name='SOLDIER']How much do those go for? Not that this is a major priority, since I don't have a problem using the harmony remote and the PS3 controller together. If it can control my PC while I have it displayed on my Samsung TV, I would be real happy.[/quote]

I picked up one of these to get the IR dongle. Works well with the PS3, but you cannot turn the system on with the remote.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1229891264&sr=8-1

Is anybody else having trouble connecting to the remote via USB? Mine gets to 20%, then I get an "Error Sending Data" error. I've tried on both my laptop on desktop, and the same thing happens on both. Both are runnning XP SP2 as well.

I was having issues with a 550, you just have to really plug it in hard. It took a while for it to work, but it finally did. If it does not, contact Logitech. I am sure they will be fine replacing it.

Found out the install disk that came with mine is out of date. Had to download the whopping 52.2mb file with the newest software.

Works great now!

I never saw this until today and I just snagged one. There are about 10 left according to the listing.

I already have one of these but had to get another one at this price. Now I can control my upstairs entertainment ensemble. I paid $100 about a year and a half ago and it was worth it at that price. Thanks to the OP for posting this!

Has anyone used one of these with a digital converter box? The only thing keeping me from ordering one for myself is if it works with one of those.

Mine just came today and it works incredibly well. Setup was a breeze, and it's nice to finally be able to ditch all of my other remotes. Thanks again for the heads-up, OP!

i am baffled by how few people understand what IR is. (infra-red, the technology that you have been using to turn on the tv for the last 30 years).

this is a pretty good remote, btw. great price too. i've been using an 880 for a while now (picked it up at a yard sale for 5$, go figure).

[quote name='munch']Has anyone used one of these with a digital converter box? The only thing keeping me from ordering one for myself is if it works with one of those.[/QUOTE]

It can learn any IR commands if you have the original remote. The database is humongous, too, and updated frequently. It controls my obscure, cheap DVD players and my off brand HDTV- devices that no other universal remotes could control. I can't say enough good things about this line of products. Get one, you won't be sorry.

I'm installing this to my dad's computer right now. Did it take forever for anyone else to get it to communicate with the remote?

The one I got had the batteries leak out and damage the case. Battery chemicals all over the bottom of the unit and there was no getting them out. I emailed the seller to try and get an exchange.

I figured out my problem: The software that came with the remote was way out of date, and the one they updated me to was just as bad. I had to go to logitech's site and get 7.xx. They had me on like 5.6. It's a great remote. My parents need a new DVD player bad. Their Apex just doesn't cut it.

Are the buttons on this one any better than the 360 Harmony remote? I love the functionality of these remotes but the buttons on the 360 one are ass. They need to make one that does bluetooth too to worth with a PS3.

[quote name='blackbird3216']Would the roku box work with this? I'm thinking about signing up for netflix myself just for instant streaming.[/quote]
If the Roku box's remote uses IR (which it probably does), it will work. Even ifyou have to manually program the remote, by pointing the original remote at the harmony, you can get the correct codes into it.

[quote name='graf1k']Are the buttons on this one any better than the 360 Harmony remote? I love the functionality of these remotes but the buttons on the 360 one are ass. They need to make one that does bluetooth too to worth with a PS3.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't have the Xbox specific buttons. The buttons overall are a little different on the 520. They're shiny and hard plastic instead of the textured, softer rubber on the Xbox one.

I need someone to help me out with this:

My dad watches TV with his DVR, but he has to control the volume with the TV. Right now, if he wants to turn up the volume he has to go to devices, select TV, adjust the volume, then go back to devices to control the DVR again.

Is there anyway I can set this thing up to control the TVs volume while he's using the DVR?

[quote name='munch']I need someone to help me out with this:

My dad watches TV with his DVR, but he has to control the volume with the TV. Right now, if he wants to turn up the volume he has to go to devices, select TV, adjust the volume, then go back to devices to control the DVR again.

Is there anyway I can set this thing up to control the TVs volume while he's using the DVR?[/QUOTE]

I have the same problem. Let me know if you find a solution.

I really dont like the menu, it seems like they are hiding alot of the functions. Like Munch and zewone, Im having trouble getting it to do stuff or fully control my tv/cable box. It does the basic on off functions but once you get into more specific things I keep on having to use other remotes.

Are you guys going into the advanced customization sections of the activities? You can specify all of this stuff there.

[quote name='munch']I need someone to help me out with this:

Is there anyway I can set this thing up to control the TVs volume while he's using the DVR?[/QUOTE]

Yes, when you set up the activity "watch TV", you have to tell it that you use the TV for volume control rather than the DVR box. You can edit this under the activity settings.

Remote is great, controls everything I want
Haven't adjusted everything yet, but set up most buttons for my 360, Onkyo surround sound and my TV
haven't went into the advance settings yet

Also if anyone can help me
When I set up my Activity, say Play 360
It supposed to, Turn on my 360 and my TV and switch it over to HDMI 1
problem is it does all that, but doesn't switch it over to HDMI 1

The only way it will be at HDMI 1 is if when the TV is turned on it's already on HDMI 1
or if I go through the little help menus to fix the problem

[quote name='greyzieoriental']Remote is great, controls everything I want
Haven't adjusted everything yet, but set up most buttons for my 360, Onkyo surround sound and my TV
haven't went into the advance settings yet

Also if anyone can help me
When I set up my Activity, say Play 360
It supposed to, Turn on my 360 and my TV and switch it over to HDMI 1
problem is it does all that, but doesn't switch it over to HDMI 1

The only way it will be at HDMI 1 is if when the TV is turned on it's already on HDMI 1
or if I go through the little help menus to fix the problem[/QUOTE]

Re-check your settings in the harmony software. If you have the HDMI1 input properly set for that activity, you may need to add a delay for that function (say 5 seconds or so). It could be that it's trying to change inputs too soon after turning on your TV, and that your TV can't change inputs that quickly.

how do you setup delays? It turns my tv on and tries to change it to a different input to fast so it misses it. thanks guys

[quote name='Lice']how do you setup delays? It turns my tv on and tries to change it to a different input to fast so it misses it. thanks guys[/QUOTE]
Activities > Settings (on whichever activity you want to set up a delay for) > Review Settings > Yes, but I want to add more control of options and devices for this Activity > Click through your options until you get to the "Please Review the actions for your ______ Activity".

Note that at this point you can add a lot of customization, so for anyone who is finding fault with the remote or wants it to do extra things not offered in the initial activity setup, go here.

For adding a delay to changing input on your TV, select "Add action for (your TV chosen here from drop-down menu) when the Activity starts". Then choose "Send this infrared delay" and select your delay. That should fix the problem.

I haven't tried delays yet, but I need to at some point. It's odd, though, because my "Play Wii" activity doesn't turn the TV to the required Component 1, but my "Watch TV" activity will successfully turn it to AV 1. I'll probably fool with it tomorrow morning. In any case, there's the steps to find further customization.

i've tried setting up a delay and i still get the same problem

if you get it right Rocko, please let me know how you did it

the way i tried to do it was to have infrared delayed 5 secs then change to HDMI1
but it acts the same way

but at least i can use one controller to control my 360, surround sound and TV

I received my remote the other day, and so far I'm really liking the customization options and control panel on the PC, but I'd like to ask some questions to help speed up my configuring preferences.

1. Is there a way to arrange the devices listed on the remote screen? Like say I want my most used devices listed on the front page instead of scattered around.

2. Also, is there a way to rename the devices on the remote screen for easier access?

3. So far I haven't gotten my Kenwood home theater to work yet (http://www2.dealtime.com/xPF-Kenwood-VR615). This counts as an AV Receiver, right?

4. I also don't know how to get my PC working, if possible. It's a custom PC, so I'm not sure which part I'm supposed to list (my motherboard? graphics card? other?). My PC information can be found below:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate
Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model EP35-DS3L
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F5, 7/16/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000"

Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.26 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.20 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.47 GB
Page File Space 4.29 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

5. Do I always have to select a device on the remote before it can register it? Is there a way to set up a "default" device so that it will always select it without me pushing a button (ie my TV)?

6. What's the quickest way to set up a task that can open multiple devices all at once? For example, to turn on my Xbox 360, I would do the following steps (assuming the TV is already on):

1. Change my HDMI switch to port 2.

2. Change my TV's input to HDMI 1.

3. Turn on my Xbox 360.

4. Change the picture size to Just Scan.

I want to set up a task that does those four things at once. Also, an additional task that takes my Home Theater into consideration (which I don't always use if I don't want to be too noisy), in which case I would like to add two more steps:

5. Turn the volume on my TV down to 0.

6. Turn on the Home Theater.

Thanks for the help.

[quote name='SOLDIER']I received my remote the other day, and so far I'm really liking the customization options and control panel on the PC, but I'd like to ask some questions to help speed up my configuring preferences.

1. Is there a way to arrange the devices listed on the remote screen? Like say I want my most used devices listed on the front page instead of scattered around.

2. Also, is there a way to rename the devices on the remote screen for easier access?

3. So far I haven't gotten my Kenwood home theater to work yet (http://www2.dealtime.com/xPF-Kenwood-VR615). This counts as an AV Receiver, right?

4. I also don't know how to get my PC working, if possible. It's a custom PC, so I'm not sure which part I'm supposed to list (my motherboard? graphics card? other?). My PC information can be found below:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate
Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model EP35-DS3L
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F5, 7/16/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000"

Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.26 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.20 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.47 GB
Page File Space 4.29 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

5. Do I always have to select a device on the remote before it can register it? Is there a way to set up a "default" device so that it will always select it without me pushing a button (ie my TV)?

6. What's the quickest way to set up a task that can open multiple devices all at once? For example, to turn on my Xbox 360, I would do the following steps (assuming the TV is already on):

1. Change my HDMI switch to port 2.

2. Change my TV's input to HDMI 1.

3. Turn on my Xbox 360.

4. Change the picture size to Just Scan.

I want to set up a task that does those four things at once. Also, an additional task that takes my Home Theater into consideration (which I don't always use if I don't want to be too noisy), in which case I would like to add two more steps:

5. Turn the volume on my TV down to 0.

6. Turn on the Home Theater.

Thanks for the help.[/quote]

For the last part, just create an activity and you can set up all that stuff, although I don't think you can change the picture format for the 360 with an activity although I have never tried. Just create an activity with your 360 and your TV and it sounds like you have a HDMI switch in there too. If you already have all the devices set up (i.e. the remote can control them all and you programmed the proper input for your 360s video on the TV and which port on the HDMI switch to use) it can pretty much figure out the proper order to do everything by itself.

As for how to get it to work with your PC, you need to make sure your PC has an IR port or plug in a USB IR receiver/remote for home theater PCs and just make it learn commands manually from that remote.

Do you have to do two different activity set-ups if say your TV is already on and you want to play your 360 and if your TV is off and want to do the same thing?

bread's done
Back