Logitech Play Link Wireless Network Extension $20 & Free Ground shipping @ FRY's.com

retail sucks

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
Logitech Play Link Wireless Network Extension for XBox/Playstation2/Gamecube/Macs & PCs with up to 1.5 Mbps Speed

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/5067725?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Detailed Description

Play Link helps you get your gaming console, laptop or set-top box online with no wires, no mess, no sweat. Compatible with Xbox, PS2, Nintendo GameCube, PC and Mac.

The Play Link Wireless Network Extension from Logitech allows you to easily connect your ethernet equipped game system to your broadband modem for online gaming. You won't have to worry about complicated network settings, just plug one unit into your console and the other into your broadband router or modem.

The Play Link can even be used to allow Media Centers and PVRs to communicate with your computer, bring network-equipped printers into your network without running a cable or to let Mac and PC computers communicate. Each set works as a matched pair to allow for encryption and operation free of interference. These features make not only make the Play Link a great way easily game online, but also to bridge devices over a network.

Key Features

Plug and Play

There are no software programs or drivers to install, simply plug your gaming console or other device into one Play Link and the device with which you want it to communicate in the other and you are ready to go.
Fast Data Rate

The 1.5 Mbps data rate eliminates the bottlenecks associated with slower 54 Mbps or 11 Mbps wireless networking standards, helping to reduce lag when playing online games on broadband connections.
Pairing and Encryption

Each set of Play Link receivers is specially paired to reduce the chance of interference with other devices. Data is transmitted in an encrypted fashion to protect sensitive data such as passwords and credit card numbers that may be transmitted wirelessly.
Ethernet Connection

Each Play Link receiver has a standard ethernet connection, letting you easily integrate it with a standard computer network without the need for special adapters or cables.

[quote name='Evi1d33d']It's a pretty good deal but the 1.5Mbps data rate is a bit slow for things other than gaming.
[/QUOTE]

but it says:

The 1.5 Mbps data rate eliminates the bottlenecks associated with slower 54 Mbps or 11 Mbps wireless networking standards, helping to reduce lag when playing online games on broadband connections.

i mean, 1.5 is lower than 54 and 11, so it must be faster right? networks are totally like wire gauge cause they go over wires! WIRES!

To clear the confusion 1.5mps means that this will support the max speed for internet services on 1.5mb connections. 54mbps means that you can transfer information at that speed but unless you transfer large files the 54mbps is useless to most people since if you only play games online your max speed is 1.5mb (that is if you get 1.5mb internet) If you have a 3mb connection then this will bottleneck you but 1.5mb is more than enough for most games, usually lag will be caused by others and not you.

Geez, I ordered this last week thrusday and I paid 19.99 with free gorund shipping. For 14.99 and free ground shipping, this is a great deal.

Thanks OP. Ordered one this morning since I can't get my Netgear wireless router to work. Been trying for 2 weeks. I've come to the conclusion that it's broken.

But this should handle my gaming needs perfectly. Never heard of it before.

Thanks again.

update

I just received the product today via GDS Ground. It was well packaged inside large box with a Fil-Air inflatable packaging. The unit box says "for Xbox 360" and Xbox live cordless freedom. The units are small, (each about the size of regular alarm clock), very light. It came with two "eight foot" ethernet cords, and 2 AC power plugs.

I'm preparing to hook it up and try it in another room. I'll update on how it works later or/& if I run into any problems.

Got mine today and it works flawlessly. Wish I'd gotten 2 in case this one breaks. Thanks again OP. Now I can finally game on LIVE on my big screen and also not worry about my son waking up.

Thanks again.

Just got mine ... one of the units doesn't power up when connected to the wall via the AC adapter. Anybody else have this problem? I'm not sure whether to reuturn it (a hastle) or ask for another one (potentially another hastle). Any suggestions?

[quote name='RudyPants']Just got mine ... one of the units doesn't power up when connected to the wall via the AC adapter. Anybody else have this problem? I'm not sure whether to reuturn it (a hastle) or ask for another one (potentially another hastle). Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Damn, I'm sorry to here that. Is anything else hooked up to that same outlet, which what I'm asking is, could there be a problem with that particular outlet and not the cord? Try a different outlet and see if that works. If not I'd return it for another unit myself.

[quote name='explorer1990']Got mine today and it works flawlessly. Wish I'd gotten 2 in case this one breaks. Thanks again OP. Now I can finally game on LIVE on my big screen and also not worry about my son waking up.

Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

Mine is working great so far. Yep, that's one of the same reason's I bought one was to move it out of the PC room and into my bedroom since I have family that gets up early, I don't want wake them with talking or loud cursing(J/K), lol. I even thought about putting an old TV on my carport and taking my X360 out there and using it

Got mine 2 days ago. It works great. Only problem I have is I can't have my PS2 hooked up while also going on the net at the same time....

[quote name='retail sucks']Damn, I'm sorry to here that. Is anything else hooked up to that same outlet, which what I'm asking is, could there be a problem with that particular outlet and not the cord? Try a different outlet and see if that works. If not I'd return it for another unit myself.

Mine is working great so far. Yep, that's one of the same reason's I bought one was to move it out of the PC room and into my bedroom since I have family that gets up early, I don't want wake them with talking or loud cursing(J/K), lol. I even thought about putting an old TV on my carport and taking my X360 out there and using it[/quote]

Yeah, I tryed both units in the same place - one turns on and the other doesn't. I'm going to return it to Fry's tomorrow via UPS, which is a pain in the ass. Beware of this item for those thinking about buying it.

I love this thing. I have one unit on a router in my old roommate's apt across the hall and the other in a router in our apt. I have two computers and a 360 running off our router, with very little slowdown unless I'm playing WoW or my wife's playing CoH at the same time. I'm super pleased with this one.

Ordered, even though I ordered the somewhat similar wireless game adapter thingy last week and still haven't gotten it.

[quote name='DJSteel']does it work with the 360??[/QUOTE]Yep, I've been using it since last night in another room with both the doors shut. my bro is in there right now playing Far Cry online as I'm on the PC. Plus, it says it on the box too, "for Xbox 360", Cordless Extension for Xbox Live, and Xbox live cordless freedom

I'll take a few picks of the box, one of the units, & packaging it came in and link it here & to my the original post via photobucket.

got mine...it works fine. i wish it could download faster tho....but then again....my download speed thru my ISP is only 1.3 mbs anyway.

[quote name='guyver2077']i received it today but havent tried it yet...

im kinda bummed that each adapter or w.e required to be plugged into the power....[/QUOTE]

Yep, truthfully I felt the same way myself, but since the units will be in different areas of the house I really don't mind. I'm just glad ethernet cables were included.

I'm using the PC, my bro is on Live playing, and streaming music from the PC to the 360 all at the sametime with no lag issues, and my ISP's service is good but not that great.

[quote name='cheapbrass']got mine...it works fine. i wish it could download faster tho....but then again....my download speed thru my ISP is only 1.3 mbs anyway.[/QUOTE]

I don't even think my DL speed is even that fast. What really helped me lately was having my upload speed changed to match my DL speed.

Ordered this yesterday afternoon and it came via DHL today. Fantastic free shipping. I'll hook it up later tonight.

[quote name='Xeno G']Ordered this yesterday afternoon and it came via DHL today. Fantastic free shipping. I'll hook it up later tonight.[/QUOTE]

Yep, the free shipping was great. It's atleast a $3-4 value. Well packaged and quick delivery.

the product just went to $20 with free shipping

[quote name='KingCrow02']Does this work with the Nintendo DS?[/QUOTE]

No, this doesn't produce a wifi signal. It's just like running a very long cat-5 cable to a wired device (Xbox, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, etc)

[quote name='Xeno G']No, this doesn't produce a wifi signal. It's just like running a very long cat-5 cable to a wired device (Xbox, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, etc)[/QUOTE]

It's for PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, PC or Mac. It's basically a wireless ethernet cable. One unit plugs into your modem/router via ethernet cable, and the other unit plugs into your 360 via ethernet cable.

I was going to add pics of box, contents, and the unit set up, but the batteries in my cheap-o digital camera are deceased, and I'm to sick to drive (flu/sinus infection) So if someone would like to do that and link those feel free. I'll eventually get around to it if not.

Got mine in the mail Friday, as well as my Wireless Game Adapter yesterday. In a fight between the two, the Play Link Wireless extenders would win without question. I'm having massive trouble with the stupid WGA though.

I struggled with a NetGear wireless router for a week. It would not allow me to access the 198.162.0.1 thing to configure the router. I honestly think the thing was broken, but regardless, it was a waste of time.

Had my Play Link up and running in 5 minutes and was online without a hiccup.

Play Link would definitely win, in my opinion.

Hey guys, just a quick question. I have my XBox Live currently set up using my Apple Aiport as the router, and then a hub switch, and that allows me to go online on my mac and use my xbox live at the same time. I connect the xbox live ethernet cable into the hub. This would work by just plugging the wireless adapter in instead of the cable, correct?? Sorry if you have no clue about what I'm trying to explain, hahaha. Anyways, I assume this doesn't come with any ethernet cables?

I'm willing to risk it.

The Wireless Play Link is connected by an ethernet cable, which then goes into the router. Comes with everything you need to get it running smoothly (ethernet cables included); truly plug & play. I absolutely love this thing.

I'm sold then on testing this. It should work, I don't see why not. Everything I plug into the hub has gotten the internet connection before. I just really wasn't interested in buying another ethernet cable.

[quote name='alfonsosoriano']Hey guys, just a quick question. I have my XBox Live currently set up using my Apple Aiport as the router, and then a hub switch, and that allows me to go online on my mac and use my xbox live at the same time. I connect the xbox live ethernet cable into the hub. This would work by just plugging the wireless adapter in instead of the cable, correct?? Sorry if you have no clue about what I'm trying to explain, hahaha. Anyways, I assume this doesn't come with any ethernet cables?

I'm willing to risk it.[/QUOTE]

yeah it should work like that since in theory this item simulates a wired ethernet cable (with slower speeds)

[quote name='vingo']Anyone know the distance this thing is capable of ?How far from the router?[/quote]

The Amazon page for this product says 100ft...it uses RF technology (good to know, since I thought this was one of those power-line network based thingees).

Very positive reviews on Amazon...my Mom's computer has a hard time connecting to their wireless and she's only about 100ft above it (but through a floor and a couple walls) - so I'm hoping this provides a nice alternative to 802.11b. If not...$20 and it's handy to have around. Thanks OP!

somewhat stupid question:

I would use the wirelss extension without a router (im at college) so
does using the wireless extension create a bottleneck if you using a computer as well as the extension since it is capped at 1.5mpbs (granted that it wouldnt be wireless to the computer i am not certain how the product works in that regard)

thanks

[quote name='kaiser']somewhat stupid question:

I would use the wirelss extension without a router (im at college) so
does using the wireless extension create a bottleneck if you using a computer as well as the extension since it is capped at 1.5mpbs (granted that it wouldnt be wireless to the computer i am not certain how the product works in that regard)

thanks[/QUOTE]

it works like an ethernet cable that is 1.5mps... so it *is* always the bottleneck

I went ahead and bit on this for the PS2. I had bought the Linksys wireless adapter for it and then found out that it will only connect to a Linksys router, which is bullshit.

[quote name='Heavy Hitter']I went ahead and bit on this for the PS2. I had bought the Linksys wireless adapter for it and then found out that it will only connect to a Linksys router, which is bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Damn that sucks donkey. What did you pay for the Linsys wireless adapter?

[quote name='retail sucks']Damn that sucks donkey. What did you pay for the Linsys wireless adapter?[/QUOTE]

if you have a wireless adapter, why would you buy this item? the wireless adapter supposedly would be better

Thanks Op my brother was looking for one of these since his router is in basement and doesn't get to the 2nd floor.

"The 1.5 Mbps data rate eliminates the bottlenecks associated with slower 54 Mbps or 11 Mbps wireless networking standards, helping to reduce lag when playing online games on broadband connections"

Huh?

nice deal. I should pick up like 5 of these since my linksys router has become totally unstable since i put the dd-wrt hacked firmware on it.

Question, if you had more than one set of these in the same house, would they still work individually? For example, one plugged into an XBox while the other set is being used on a laptop.

bread's done
Back