Long-playtime Shooters (or Roleplaying-Shooters)?

DrowVampyre

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Hey all, I've been on a shooter kick recently (well, again - it goes in waves), but I've had a bit of a problem. Many of the games I've played, while fun, have been...short. Now, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but I really want to find more games with a long playtime!

So, any recommendations? They don't need to be a pure shooter - Fallout 3 was great, Mass Effect as well, and both are RPG as much as shooter, really. I've been playing Dragon Age, and while good, it just doesn't match up to the Mass Effect games for me...but I know there have to be some overlooked (by me anyway) gems out there!

I've heard things about Borderlands, both good and bad, but everything I've heard makes it sound like there's no real story. Is that wrong?

If it is, I'm gonna be kicking myself for not getting it on the Steam sale - I passed on it because it seemed like it was just...kill stuff, get randomly-generated guns, keep killing stuff until you get the randomly-generated gun you want. And I hate that kind of gear grind (some weapon progression is fine, but an MMO-style constant grind to get better gear is..well, that's what burned me out on MMOs >_>

Borderlands is pretty thin storywise but it's there. The real fun in the game is all about leveling up and the loot, which doesn't appear to be your speed. S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Deus Ex and System Shock seem to be more of what you're looking for. Deus Ex and SS2 aren't very pretty without texture packs, etc. but the incredible gameplay more than makes up for it.

[quote name='Mike UFC']Borderlands is pretty thin storywise but it's there. The real fun in the game is all about leveling up and the loot, which doesn't appear to be your speed. S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Deus Ex and System Shock seem to be more of what you're looking for. Deus Ex and SS2 aren't very pretty without texture packs, etc. but the incredible gameplay more than makes up for it.[/QUOTE]

Dues Ex was amazing, yeah, and System Shock 2 (haven't played that in years, but I remember it was the scariest game I ever played). I have STALKER (the first one anyway), but only played an hour or so of it and discovered that the weapons are about as effective as pop guns and about as accurate as firing a gun with a bent barrel while drunk in a hurricane during an earthquake. >_>

System Shock 2! One of the scariest games of all time - survival horror at its best. You baaaaarely have enough ammunition to stay alive, so it's not really a good shooter, if that's what you're looking for.

I don't know if you'd be interested in Oblivion or Morrowind at all, but they're good games. I'm playing Morrowind for a long time now for the first time, and from what I can tell I'm probably not even half way through.

As for Borderlands, I found it to be mostly shooting and collecting loot. There is a little story in there somewhere, but it can almost be ignored without any real loss.

[quote name='dark2025']System Shock 2! One of the scariest games of all time - survival horror at its best. You baaaaarely have enough ammunition to stay alive, so it's not really a good shooter, if that's what you're looking for.

I don't know if you'd be interested in Oblivion or Morrowind at all, but they're good games. I'm playing Morrowind for a long time now for the first time, and from what I can tell I'm probably not even half way through.

As for Borderlands, I found it to be mostly shooting and collecting loot. There is a little story in there somewhere, but it can almost be ignored without any real loss.[/QUOTE]

I have Oblivion, though I haven't yet played it (got a little burned out on fantasy too, but not too terribly, so I'll get to it soon I'm sure). Morrowind was great though, yeah.

And I did manage to get in on a leftover Borderlands copy, so I'll get to see what it's like anyway. Even if I don't love it, it's the price of a matinee movie ticket and I'm sure I'll get more than 2 hours out of it.

I really liked STALKER, though I never really get far into the game because of technical difficulties, though I've heard that it was quickly patched up to working perfection over the years. It's a fairly long game, with a slight learning curve unless you really fancy a near-realistic RPG and combat mechanics. I've never thought of the guns being 'weak', but more like 'realistic'. The problem with the game is that most of the armed human enemies, like those in the later missions, tend to be wearing good armor that allows them to take a good beating. Well, that's what I've noticed, since a good head shot would put anything down for the count in that game.

Also, the Inventory management of that game can be painful at times, especially when you start to juggle health-kits, ammo, weapons, and misc supplies in such a crowded grid system.

I've heard that the sequels/prequels were better, both technically and gameplay wise, so feel free to skip the first STALKER, and move on to the newer entries.

The first Deus Ex is by far one of the best games I've played, and I'm looking forward to the new game coming out soon. That being said, play the original if you can.

This isn't really that great of a game, but have you consider picking up Dark Messiah of Might and Magic? It's a fairly good game, imo, but a lot of reviewers panned it for the many glaring flaws the game has. It's still fun though, and if you're lucking you could pick this game up for the very cheap if you know where to look.

I own Far Cry 2, and I've really liked that game until I realized the amount of back-tracking you must endure (which, to be honest, might be the reason why I logged so many hours in that game without progressing much at all...).

[quote name='rumarudrathas']I really liked STALKER, though I never really get far into the game because of technical difficulties, though I've heard that it was quickly patched up to working perfection over the years. It's a fairly long game, with a slight learning curve unless you really fancy a near-realistic RPG and combat mechanics. I've never thought of the guns being 'weak', but more like 'realistic'. The problem with the game is that most of the armed human enemies, like those in the later missions, tend to be wearing good armor that allows them to take a good beating. Well, that's what I've noticed, since a good head shot would put anything down for the count in that game. [/QUOTE]

Well, like I said, I only played about an hour...but I shot a dog in the head (point blank so I know I actually hit it) and it took about 6 or 8 headshots with my pistol to kill a dog...it took 2 shotgun shells to kill another.

[quote name='rumarudrathas']The first Deus Ex is by far one of the best games I've played, and I'm looking forward to the new game coming out soon. That being said, play the original if you can. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, agreed, although Invisible War was good too. But I'm hoping the new one will be as good as the first.

[quote name='rumarudrathas'] This isn't really that great of a game, but have you consider picking up Dark Messiah of Might and Magic? It's a fairly good game, imo, but a lot of reviewers panned it for the many glaring flaws the game has. It's still fun though, and if you're lucking you could pick this game up for the very cheap if you know where to look. [/QUOTE]

Hmm, I'll keep an eye out. What was good about it, would you say?

[quote name='rumarudrathas'] I own Far Cry 2, and I've really liked that game until I realized the amount of back-tracking you must endure (which, to be honest, might be the reason why I logged so many hours in that game without progressing much at all...).[/QUOTE]

I played one of the FarCry games (the first one, I think, but I can't recall for sure), and I remember it was pretty fun, but very short...is 2 a lot longer? You mention a lot of backtracking, but how many hours would you say it is on an average playthrough (including backtracking but not much unnecessary backtracking)?

[quote name='DrowVampyre']

I played one of the FarCry games (the first one, I think, but I can't recall for sure), and I remember it was pretty fun, but very short...is 2 a lot longer? You mention a lot of backtracking, but how many hours would you say it is on an average playthrough (including backtracking but not much unnecessary backtracking)?[/QUOTE]

Farcry 2 is 25+ hours (I say 25 as an absolute min). Beware though it's not just backtracking it's I eliminated all the guards (who chase you in vehicles) at this outpost but they keep re spawning every time I drive back.

If you don't mind third person shooters and don't mind a crappy story, I can't recommend highly enough just cause 2. If you don't mind going for 100% expect more than 75 hours of gameplay (I been advancing at about 1% every hour, at a few mins more than an hour and that is just getting closer to getting 100%, that's not even screwing around).

Otherwise you got my other recommendation, Borderlands.

Borderlands has some story but its about 90% hidden in the side quests and DLC. I will say that I have been through the game. . . Far too many times, but the ONEish thing that keeps bringing me back is/are the quests from Tannis
Hidden Journal: Arid Badlands, Rust Common West, RC East

Haven't played Deus Ex or System Shock 2 (blasphemy I know), but I can vouch for Borderlands. There is practically no story, but the characters and the insane amount of loot to be had makes up for it. Also, play with friends. MUCH more fun.

Get STALKER: Call of Pripyat. The first two STALKER games were pretty bad for a variety of reasons, but Pripyat finally got things right. It's pretty excellent.

I have Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. FPS powered by the Source engine and it's pretty fun. Would have kept on playing if I had a better PC.
Medieval/Fantasy setting with a decent combat system for either ranged or melee and 3 classes you can choose from.

[quote name='DrowVampyre']Hmm, I'll keep an eye out. What was good about it, would you say?

I played one of the FarCry games (the first one, I think, but I can't recall for sure), and I remember it was pretty fun, but very short...is 2 a lot longer? You mention a lot of backtracking, but how many hours would you say it is on an average playthrough (including backtracking but not much unnecessary backtracking)?[/QUOTE]

For the first question, I'd say the biggest redeeming quality of Dark Messiah is the fun combat mechanics, level of customization (isn't great, but enough to keep it interesting), and that it has a good (but not great) story, imho. Though the game is fairly linear (level-based), there is still a level of exploration within the game too. Not to mention your scantily-clad female sidekick was a good amount of eye-candy for the game.

As for Far Cry 2, I'd mirror what another CAG said, and say that the level of repetition and backtracking, while not atrocious, there is still a lot of it. There isn't really a 'fast travel' option (wished there was one, atleast when you're not in a mission), unless you count the bus stations, and the constanly respawning enemies can get pretty fucking ridiculous at time. What really made me quit the game was that I traveled to one end of the first map to do a mission, then I'm forced to drive to the other end of the map to finish a second mission. I think I mostly drove around and avoiding the re-spawning enemies patrol moreso than doing actual mission-busting.

I'll probably fully play through FC2 when I get time, but with the new TF2 update...

I just beat Dark Messiah and loved it. Beautiful game if you bump the textures up to max. Just loved it - at least as a stealth game/first person sneaker ala Thief.

Oh yeah, Thief...play those too. All three are excellent, though I am partial to the 3rd. Thief 4 is on the way.

I really, really didn't like STALKER: SOC or Clear Sky... but Call of Pripyat was excellent. It's not a buggy mess like the previous two games, either. And from a design standpoint, they fixed all the stuff that really irked me about the last two games.

OP, if you're willing to play STALKER again, I suggest you download the STALKER Complete 2009 mod. A lot of problems, including gun balance, were addressed. It even gets rid of that constant bob when you sprint.

I did pick up STALKER Complete 2009, and yeah, it's made the game a lot better, although I'm still baffled at how all enemies seem able to see me and tell that I'm an enemy from a quarter mile away, even when I'm hiding (and not using the flashlight), but I can barely even see them until they start shooting. Apparently my stalker suit is dayglo orange. >_>

bread's done
Back