Look at This Teabagger

[quote name='Msut77']I was talking to someone I knew in high school once who wanted to put Muslims into camps, it was practically mainstream for a while with cons. It probably didn't do well with the focus groups and they abandoned the idea.[/QUOTE]

its more of a democrat idea to use containment camps.

Disagree with Republicans? You're un-American
Disagree with Democrats? You're racist
Truly disagree with both? You're rare

[quote name='Msut77']Michelle Malkin is a Democrat?[/QUOTE]
michelle malkin is a powerless woman blogger who lets her voice be heard on whatever she feels like, but has no way to institute any kind of policy. i dont really care what a random blogger says.

fdr was a democrat who put german, italian, and japanese american citizens in containment camps.

I would also love to point out that people are continually using teabagger to imply tea party followers are homosexuals in a deragatory insulting mannor. Isn't the democratic party the champion of gay rights? Seems to me simply calling someone a homosexual shouldn't be used as an insult if being a homosexual is as accepted as it is.

[quote name='perdition(troy']michelle malkin is a powerless woman blogger who lets her voice be heard on whatever she feels like, but has no way to institute any kind of policy. i dont really care what a random blogger says.[/QUOTE]

The lady doth protest too much.

Malkin is a bit more than just a blogger, personally I find her a useful window into the conservative zeitgeist.

tumblr_kq4nrfTWUX1qzq52eo1_500.jpg

[quote name='soonersfan60']Wouldn't that have made him more like FDR?[/QUOTE]

No way would the Americans have tolerated Nazi concentration camps. I think the worst he could have done was internment, where they didn't actually kill people, just imprisoned them. In this day and age even internment would be considered Hitleresque, the times were different back then and racism was much more overt.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I would also love to point out that people are continually using teabagger to imply tea party followers are homosexuals in a deragatory insulting mannor. Isn't the democratic party the champion of gay rights? Seems to me simply calling someone a homosexual shouldn't be used as an insult if being a homosexual is as accepted as it is.[/QUOTE]

It's not a derogatory gay term. That's like saying "asshole" is a derogatory gay term because many gays like getting it in their assholes.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I would also love to point out that people are continually using teabagger to imply tea party followers are homosexuals in a deragatory insulting mannor. Isn't the democratic party the champion of gay rights? Seems to me simply calling someone a homosexual shouldn't be used as an insult if being a homosexual is as accepted as it is.[/QUOTE]

Hey, guys can teabag girls, too. It's not a gay joke, it's a joke about people who use the term and are ignorant of the sexual inuendo.

[quote name='speedracer']It's the 2002 version of "anti-American". Every lead on every goddamn media piece was "Is So-And-So goddamn anti-American? Maybe! We'll talk to So-And-So..." And one side snickered when they saw it and one side bitched and moaned that it was categorically unfair.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the late reply, just got off work. I completely understand the mechanism by which it works. I just don't see the point in doing it.

And to be honest, I'm glad Addison Wilson, err, scuse me, "Joe" Wilson is getting beat around. What goes around fucking comes around. And guess what industry has given "Joe" over $400,000 in contributions (his 2nd biggest contributors)? Of course it's them. I don't even need to say who "they" are, do I?

My hatred for Addison came before all this though. Since I watch votes on Veterans issues closely, I've seen old "Joe" frequently stand up and trumpet his service, then do everything he can to cut funding to just about everything veteran. But everyone knows that because everyone hearts the troops and pays attention to things like that instead of opining about the plight of the pathetic libertaria... errr... "independents".

I don't give a shit about Joe deciding to act like a little bitch and grab some spotlight and ruin President Obama's moment. I think Obama should have taken his bitch ass to the woodshed for the whole world to see afterward and made and example of him. Obama had the right and the responsibility to humiliate him and expose at least his action as that of an attention-grabbing whore trying to curry votes for the next election instead of letting it spin into all this racism bullshit.

And to me "them" is big business. I'm sure they hold more than just the 2nd spot for every single one of those corrupt assholes on the hill.

And I had no idea about the veteran stuff. I would love if you expanded more on that, as it actually has far more validity than the race card crap.

Like healthcare? Repealing the overseas ban on abortion/contraception support? Dropping billions into the kitty for Stephen Chu (probably already the greatest DoE leader ever) to play with? Closing Guantanamo?

I didn't say that clearly enough. What are the things you feel President Obama HASN'T done that he needs to do that are of the highest priority (or at least higher than healthcare)? What, if anything, do you feel he's further perpetrating that Bush started?

Let me speak plainly so there's no misunderstanding.

THE GUY HASN'T GIVEN A SINGLE STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS YET.

So there

I would have loved it if he had. I'd like a detailed accounting of what's wrong and how he plans to fix it. I would like it to be put out there clearly and concisely so that those plans can be weighed and intelligently debated. Debate implies clearly that there actually is a difference of opnion. I'm tired of the whole "I'm acting with the mandate of the people and you losers need to shut up and get out of the way" bit.

I don't even plan to slam him for not getting things done as quickly as he might have said. I just appreciate honest and open dealings.

You ARE aware that the 'libertaria... errr... "independents"' you scoff at are directly responsible for Obama's victory, right? Just as they were for both of Bush's terms? (I'm letting Jed and ACORN cancel each other out)

[quote name='UncleBob']Damn racist protesters...[/QUOTE]

Whatever. Chances are that he was coerced, paid, or a race traitor, thus he does not represent the black community. MSNBC is correct in the overall message, which is that those protesters are protesting against Obama simply out of racism, period. The guns they were holding were an obvious code item and allusion for rope, as in lynching. White racist America is still very racist indeed.

I cut out the parts I agreed with and didn't have anything to add to.

[quote name='atreyue']Obama had the right and the responsibility to humiliate him and expose at least his action as that of an attention-grabbing whore trying to curry votes for the next election instead of letting it spin into all this racism bullshit.[/quote]
Does the President have a responsibility to defend old Joe? I certainly hope he has better things to do. Shit, playing with his kids is better things to do.

And I had no idea about the veteran stuff. I would love if you expanded more on that, as it actually has far more validity than the race card crap.
This was an easy google search two weeks ago. The well has been a bit poisoned by all the new attention, so sources that aren't new are tougher to find now.

Veterans and people that support Vet program expansions would probably call Rep. Wilson one of their biggest enemies. He's the target of some of the nastier stuff out there (check out the author bio at the bottom). This is from the website of the guy running against him, but every damned word is true.

http://www.indigojournal.com/showDiary.do;jsessionid=4FCB9D3B3C67118449D30E64A1B4ED62?diaryId=160

I had that quoted in, but it was huge. The vote down of the money for Nat. Guard and Reservists TRICARE coverage in the box was especially god awful, as was the vote against emergency money for the swamped VA hospitals.

I didn't say that clearly enough. What are the things you feel President Obama HASN'T done that he needs to do that are of the highest priority (or at least higher than healthcare)? What, if anything, do you feel he's further perpetrating that Bush started?
I think a good health care bill should be his top priority right now. The economy isn't going to respond to much. Foreign policy is quiet right now (but won't stay that way, it never does). Seems like a good time to me to do it.

He needs to hurry up and define our missions in Iraq and Afghanistan so we can stop pretending we have a chance there so we can get the hell out and stop our soldiers from dying in that shithole. I also hate the stimulus bill but I think the problem is capitalism, not government per se.

I would have loved it if he had. I'd like a detailed accounting of what's wrong and how he plans to fix it. I would like it to be put out there clearly and concisely so that those plans can be weighed and intelligently debated. Debate implies clearly that there actually is a difference of opnion. I'm tired of the whole "I'm acting with the mandate of the people and you losers need to shut up and get out of the way" bit.
I would like to point out that he actually *IS* acting with a mandate from the people. By any measure he kicked the shit out of the Republicans singlehandedly, even in Congress. From where I sit, I don't see anything remotely resembling an honest partner out there for him to deal with. Sorry, but when you win the way the Dems did, you get to call the shots. The Republicans are still acting as if they're in charge and just don't understand why everything they want isn't being folded right in.
I don't even plan to slam him for not getting things done as quickly as he might have said. I just appreciate honest and open dealings.
I'd like more, but I also hope he grows into the job like all good presidents do. Here's for hoping.
You ARE aware that the 'libertaria... errr... "independents"' you scoff at are directly responsible for Obama's victory, right? Just as they were for both of Bush's terms? (I'm letting Jed and ACORN cancel each other out)
Bullshit. Libertarians and liberals used to have quite a bit in common. Now libertarians are just hoping to get a teat from the parties to suck on. Bush was as antithetical to the libertarian movement as you could possibly be and those assholes voted for him in droves. Low taxes! So maybe we have to throw social issues and Constitutional issues under the bus. Screw it. Low taxes! So maybe we have to overlook the absurd deficit spending and raiding of Social Security. Low taxes! And now we all get to listen to them lie and talk about how they care about budgets. Pardon us if we yawn and lol at the teabaggers.

Ya'll voted for Obama because you needed to blame the smoldering shithole America had become on anyone but yourselves and Republicans are a fine scapegoat. And the fact that none of you will vote Democratic in four years when it's been long enough that libertarians can pretend that they didn't start the fire doesn't help. It's not even that ya'll won't vote Democratic because you think the Republicans would have done it better, because ya'll ain't that dumb. You'll all go back to voting Republicans because you actually are Republicans.

Exhibit A: thrust.

No offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='elprincipe']When did this happen?[/QUOTE]
They're trying to find people to take them. It's expected to be closed by early next year. You can google just like everyone else.

[quote name='speedracer']I cut out the parts I agreed with and didn't have anything to add to.

Does the President have a responsibility to defend old Joe? I certainly hope he has better things to do. Shit, playing with his kids is better things to do.[/QUOTE]

I don't want him to defend Wilson at all. I just wish he had voiced what exactly he thought the problem was after it happened. It seems like this way he gets to look like he's taking the high road while his "minions" make the accusations. Which is good if you want to be in a fight. I think part of the reason why he's steadily losing popularity is because he clearly has taken partisan shots since he won the presidency. He needs to step up the level of discourse to something that actually resembles discourse.

This was an easy google search two weeks ago. The well has been a bit poisoned by all the new attention, so sources that aren't new are tougher to find now.

Veterans and people that support Vet program expansions would probably call Rep. Wilson one of their biggest enemies. He's the target of some of the nastier stuff out there (check out the author bio at the bottom). This is from the website of the guy running against him, but every damned word is true.

http://www.indigojournal.com/showDiary.do;jsessionid=4FCB9D3B3C67118449D30E64A1B4ED62?diaryId=160

I had that quoted in, but it was huge. The vote down of the money for Nat. Guard and Reservists TRICARE coverage in the box was especially god awful, as was the vote against emergency money for the swamped VA hospitals.

Certainly sounds shitty enough. Too bad things like this don't get more face time.

I think a good health care bill should be his top priority right now. The economy isn't going to respond to much. Foreign policy is quiet right now (but won't stay that way, it never does). Seems like a good time to me to do it.

I may be over-simplifying the situation, but how can taking on more of a financial burden help the economy? It would only work if it reduced what everyone had to pay into it. If that could be accomplished, it would surely take a long time to craft and multiple steps. No one really trusts Congress. I'm going off the top of my head here, but I think their approval numbers were even lower than Bush's last year. And it's still debatable or too early to tell if any of the President's previous legislation has worked or will work.

He needs to hurry up and define our missions in Iraq and Afghanistan so we can stop pretending we have a chance there so we can get the hell out and stop our soldiers from dying in that shithole. I also hate the stimulus bill but I think the problem is capitalism, not government per se.

This, more than anything else, is where he won the race. I don't know if he just lied about his beliefs on the war(s) and doesn't intend to make changes or was just naive and a little too idealistic. And what do you hate about capitalism?

I would like to point out that he actually *IS* acting with a mandate from the people. By any measure he kicked the shit out of the Republicans singlehandedly, even in Congress. From where I sit, I don't see anything remotely resembling an honest partner out there for him to deal with. Sorry, but when you win the way the Dems did, you get to call the shots. The Republicans are still acting as if they're in charge and just don't understand why everything they want isn't being folded right in.

I think Bush kicked the shit out of the Republicans, personally. All the democrats had to do was not pick another dud like John Kerry. And I agree about the honest partner thing. On both sides of the aisle. Nancy Pelosi has done far more damage to his image than any right-wing anybody. God knows no sane person wants her calling the shots. The problem is, that there are too many asshats in Congress that can be said about. I think Obama has started to realize that he needs to distance himself from them as much as he can afford to.

I'd like more, but I also hope he grows into the job like all good presidents do. Here's for hoping.

I hope he does too.

Ya'll voted for Obama because you needed to blame the smoldering shithole America had become on anyone but yourselves and Republicans are a fine scapegoat.

No offense.

That could easily be said of democrats as well. Everybody needs to do a better job of vetting candidates from the White House to the local school board more closely so that corruption can be stemmed and eventually stamped out. As it is, every time there's a power shift between the 2 parties I feel like it's animal farm over and over again. I wonder if the Democratic party will be sending the Blacks or the Jews to the glue factory. Hmmm, votes or money? Quite the dilemma.

[quote name='bmulligan']This is a nice little circle jerk you've got goin' on here, Myke.

Let me know when the Kleenex runs out.[/QUOTE]

I've been typing one-handed this whole time and there was kleenex?!?

[quote name='speedracer']They're trying to find people to take them. It's expected to be closed by early next year. You can google just like everyone else.[/QUOTE]

No need to be condescending, I'm fully informed as to this issue and most others discussed on this board. You make it out like Obama's closed Guantanamo and you're happy about that. I call you out on it, and you admit they are "trying" to do so (and failing, I might add, since most countries do not want these people in their country, and the overwhelming majority of congress-critters don't want to be responsible for Guantanamo terrorists being moved to their district/state).

IOW, you are giving credit where none is due, at least not yet. If you think closing Guantanamo is a good idea (certainly a reasonable position), why aren't you (conversely) upset that Obama put off for a year actually doing something? It could have actually been closed by now had Obama been serious about the justness of closure instead of looking for ways to minimize the political fallout.

[quote name='elprincipe']You make it out like Obama's closed Guantanamo and you're happy about that. I call you out on it, and you admit they are "trying" to do so.[/quote]
I'll do this slow because you're being so obtuse in your attempt to GOTCHA that you're going to need your hand held.

[quote name='speedracer']Closing Guantanamo[/quote]
-ing 
a suffix forming the present participle of verbs (walking; thinking), such participles being often used as participial adjectives
You understand. I know you do. Forgive me if I don't do address anything else you say. It's just a waste of time, you see.

[quote name='atreyue']I don't want him to defend Wilson at all. I just wish he had voiced what exactly he thought the problem was after it happened. It seems like this way he gets to look like he's taking the high road while his "minions" make the accusations. Which is good if you want to be in a fight. I think part of the reason why he's steadily losing popularity is because he clearly has taken partisan shots since he won the presidency. He needs to step up the level of discourse to something that actually resembles discourse.[/quote]
But with who? The guy has tried to do the whole talk to em like grown ups thing and they yell you lie and hold up their 25 health care plans (lol) during the speech. Discourse doesn't work when one side is completely unable to reason or debate or negotiate. Even Snowe can't do it. Who's left? Glenn Beck?

Certainly sounds shitty enough. Too bad things like this don't get more face time.
Somewhere in bizarro world, there's a bizarro thrustbucket that complains that the media doesn't cover things like people screwing the miltary instead of... what was his last complaint? They didn't cover a Green Jobs czar?

Really?

I may be over-simplifying the situation, but how can taking on more of a financial burden help the economy? It would only work if it reduced what everyone had to pay into it. If that could be accomplished, it would surely take a long time to craft and multiple steps.
Sure. We have a single payer model overseas and in Massachusetts and in Arizona and many different hybrids. Some work, some don't. Some do things better than others. But we libs can't talk about it because the very act of speaking to a lib on this issue by a conservative is tantamount to being a traitor.

No one really trusts Congress. I'm going off the top of my head here, but I think their approval numbers were even lower than Bush's last year. And it's still debatable or too early to tell if any of the President's previous legislation has worked or will work.
Sure, but no one ever does trust Congress. It's too easy to give a group of 400+ people a failing grade (not that they don't deserve it). But a great example was 06, the Dems first year back in power in the leg. They passed some great bills (New GI Bill anyone?) and what was the Republican slogan that year?

The Do-Nothing Congress.
This, more than anything else, is where he won the race. I don't know if he just lied about his beliefs on the war(s) and doesn't intend to make changes or was just naive and a little too idealistic. And what do you hate about capitalism?
I think he was naive on it. I agree that we shouldn't just yank em though. But until we talk about the actual mission and how the options forward our national interest, nothing will be done.

If I start ranting on capitalism again my head is going to asplode.

I think Bush kicked the shit out of the Republicans, personally. All the democrats had to do was not pick another dud like John Kerry. And I agree about the honest partner thing. On both sides of the aisle. Nancy Pelosi has done far more damage to his image than any right-wing anybody. God knows no sane person wants her calling the shots. The problem is, that there are too many asshats in Congress that can be said about. I think Obama has started to realize that he needs to distance himself from them as much as he can afford to.
I can't imagine worse leaders than Reid and Pelosi. In my perfect world, Hillary would have been top dog in the Senate and Rahm in the House. Taking them was not a good idea.
That could easily be said of democrats as well. Everybody needs to do a better job of vetting candidates from the White House to the local school board more closely so that corruption can be stemmed and eventually stamped out.
You know, I have to disagree. During the Bush years, we watched every government contractor in the world walk away with no bid contracts that we knew was outright thievery. We watched every single department of government lie, cheat, and especially steal. From Education to Homeland Security to the Interior (hope they throw your ass in jail Gale Norton you stealing bitch!) and let's not even talk about the Justice Department or any type of enforcement whatsoever. And then those asshole libertarians voted for him again.

If you wanna bitch that the Dems steal, sure, they do. Look at Jefferson. But I don't think it's systemic in the federal seat the way it is with Republicans. The Bush admin stole everything that wasn't nailed down. And so did Reagan.
As it is, every time there's a power shift between the 2 parties I feel like it's animal farm over and over again. I wonder if the Democratic party will be sending the Blacks or the Jews to the glue factory. Hmmm, votes or money? Quite the dilemma.
Go tell Ron Paul to negotiate a deal with the Dems. Go tell him he's going to have to give up on some shit he hates and he'll get something in return. Shit, Obama already gave the public option away with nothing in return. But to Paul, negotiation is heresy.

[quote name='speedracer']I'll do this slow because you're being so obtuse in your attempt to GOTCHA that you're going to need your hand held.

You understand. I know you do. Forgive me if I don't do address anything else you say. It's just a waste of time, you see.[/QUOTE]

Being an ass doesn't make you right. Obama hasn't closed Guantanamo and won't be able to in the current (not to mention future) political environment. But obviously you can't deign to discuss it, since you are so much smarter than I am.

[quote name='elprincipe']Obama hasn't closed Guantanamo and won't be able to in the current (not to mention future) political environment. But obviously you can't deign to discuss it, since you are so much smarter than I am.[/QUOTE]
The guy signed an executive order in his first days as President ordering the base to prepare as if it will be closed on Jan. 22, 2010. His administration has by any measure been trying to figure out someone to take the prisoners. Nothing about it appears to be in bad faith.

So what the hell are you whining about man? The question that was asked of me wasn't about the political environment, it was what promises Obama made that I felt he kept. Clearly this falls into that category, regardless of whether the Senate fights or other countries refuse or whatever.

Do you have some other point to make here that's relevant to the discussion? It appears you felt the need to nit pick with some ignorant shit that wasn't what we were talking about, hence my escalating irritation at what looks like you being an intentionally obtuse dumbfuck.

Explain to me how I'm wrong while considering that underlined phrase above. Or you could go back and re-read the posts and see just how weird it is that you've grabbed onto that one part of that one post like a crazy person and won't let go. I don't get it. I thought I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt with the first reply.

If you want to discuss Guantanamo, open a damned thread dude.

[quote name='speedracer']
But with who? The guy has tried to do the whole talk to em like grown ups thing and they yell you lie and hold up their 25 health care plans (lol) during the speech. Discourse doesn't work when one side is completely unable to reason or debate or negotiate. Even Snowe can't do it. Who's left? Glenn Beck?[/QUOTE]

Obama should take a page from Beck's playbook. Drop all the rhetoric and bypass all the other politicians to speak with the people candidly. Make points. Allow counterpoints. Foster debate. Stop telling people who disagree to "get out of the way". Stop telling almost half of the American people that when he got elected they lost. If he does that, then the people won't stand for their "representatives" acting like dicks. But right now he's playing the same bullshit games all the other politicians are. If he's really post-partisan and not just a shill for powerful special interests, then he can buck the system and really aim for some positive change.

Somewhere in bizarro world, there's a bizarro thrustbucket that complains that the media doesn't cover things like people screwing the miltary instead of... what was his last complaint? They didn't cover a Green Jobs czar?

They didn't cover either one. Instead, they left it up to someone like Glenn Beck to choose issues to attack to fit his own agenda, and he's built a massive following because it's clear that many media sources (fox news included with all the others) are interested in telling people what to think instead of presenting 'facts' (this is subjective) and urging people to draw their own conclusions and check the veracity of those facts for themselves.

Sure. We have a single payer model overseas and in Massachusetts and in Arizona and many different hybrids. Some work, some don't. Some do things better than others. But we libs can't talk about it because the very act of speaking to a lib on this issue by a conservative is tantamount to being a traitor.

You're more than welcome to take the time to formulate a reasoned plan and then debate the merits of that plan to carefully consider the ramifications and improve it. Not write a bill, then tell congress you expect it passed by August without anyone needing to read it. It may be important, but it's too big to pass so quickly. There's too much that can go wrong. This wasn't even debated or discussed among libs.

Sure, but no one ever does trust Congress. It's too easy to give a group of 400+ people a failing grade (not that they don't deserve it). But a great example was 06, the Dems first year back in power in the leg. They passed some great bills (New GI Bill anyone?) and what was the Republican slogan that year?

The Do-Nothing Congress.

This is not a democrat or republican problem. This is a systemic problem for everyone except for the politicians, who are getting richer and more powerful by the day from it. As they intended.

I can't imagine worse leaders than Reid and Pelosi. In my perfect world, Hillary would have been top dog in the Senate and Rahm in the House. Taking them was not a good idea.

Hillary would have done far more to undermine Obama than any republican could if he hadn't tied her to him with the Secretary position. He was smart to do so and she was dumb to accept. She may have actually been able to secure the '12 nomination if Obama tanks. Now she will share in his failure.

You know, I have to disagree. During the Bush years, we watched every government contractor in the world walk away with no bid contracts that we knew was outright thievery. We watched every single department of government lie, cheat, and especially steal. From Education to Homeland Security to the Interior (hope they throw your ass in jail Gale Norton you stealing bitch!) and let's not even talk about the Justice Department or any type of enforcement whatsoever. And then those asshole libertarians voted for him again.

If you wanna bitch that the Dems steal, sure, they do. Look at Jefferson. But I don't think it's systemic in the federal seat the way it is with Republicans. The Bush admin stole everything that wasn't nailed down. And so did Reagan.

If you want to look to systemic theivery, look no further than the Bailout. The slogan of "Too big to fail" is the final frontier that all those payoff to government officials to make regulation changes leads to. Even if these companies crash the market willfully or through ineptitude, they will still get paid and be kept afloat. We don't even get a choice, because only the politicians are smart enough to fix the problems they were dumb enough to create.

Go tell Ron Paul to negotiate a deal with the Dems. Go tell him he's going to have to give up on some shit he hates and he'll get something in return. Shit, Obama already gave the public option away with nothing in return. But to Paul, negotiation is heresy.

I don't give a shit about any politician or their political affiliation. I only care about what they do, not what they say. The whole idea of parties only exist at this point as a smokescreen intended to make the people choose a group and identify themselves with it. Then they will automatically hate the other group. The politicians don't care much about majorities and minorities. They profit share like the NFL. That way, everyone's covered when the tide of public opinion shifts. Only the lobbies are post-partisan in Washington D.C. They spread the money across both sides of the aisle.

[quote name='depascal22']I love how everything has to be done right now. You conservatives are turning into the poster children of ADD.[/QUOTE]

"The best way to protect our security and to pressure Iraq's leaders to resolve their civil war is to immediately begin to remove our combat troops. Not in six months or one year - now," the Illinois senator was to say.

President-elect Obama's advisers are crafting plans to close the Guantanamo Bay prison and prosecute terrorism suspects in the U.S., a plan the Bush administration said Monday was easier said than done. Under the plan being crafted inside Obama's camp, some detainees would be released and others would be charged in U.S. courts, where they would receive constitutional rights and open trials.

You're right, the Democrats had a monopoly on immediate action, followed by indecision, inattention to details, then disconcern for follow-through before they were even elected. Now it's the Republicans' turn. Funny how that immediate action call seems so much more difficult once your party is in control of the decisions. I guess it's okay to dawdle as long as your intentions are good.

He didn't say immediately remove ALL troops. He said being to remove. He's doing that.

Also, if the leaders on the ground say it would be foolish to completely pull out, shouldn't he heed their advice?

[quote name='speedracer']The guy signed an executive order in his first days as President ordering the base to prepare as if it will be closed on Jan. 22, 2010. His administration has by any measure been trying to figure out someone to take the prisoners. Nothing about it appears to be in bad faith.

So what the hell are you whining about man? The question that was asked of me wasn't about the political environment, it was what promises Obama made that I felt he kept. Clearly this falls into that category, regardless of whether the Senate fights or other countries refuse or whatever.

Do you have some other point to make here that's relevant to the discussion? It appears you felt the need to nit pick with some ignorant shit that wasn't what we were talking about, hence my escalating irritation at what looks like you being an intentionally obtuse dumbfuck.

Explain to me how I'm wrong while considering that underlined phrase above. Or you could go back and re-read the posts and see just how weird it is that you've grabbed onto that one part of that one post like a crazy person and won't let go. I don't get it. I thought I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt with the first reply.

If you want to discuss Guantanamo, open a damned thread dude.[/QUOTE]

Okay, okay, we get it. You want to give credit for what has been promised and not delivered. Wail and curse all you want. I really don't care. There's nothing else to discuss with you because you can't accept the basic facts on this issue, period. Nothing else to say, obviously.

Because conservatives and libertarians want things done right now and we all know that a Democratic President really wants to make sure that they're happy.

You know what. You guys can shut the fuck up and vote Obama out in '12. Until then, enjoy the ass raping, conservatives. You earned it.

[quote name='depascal22']Because conservatives and libertarians want things done right now and we all know that a Democratic President really wants to make sure that they're happy.

You know what. You guys can shut the fuck up and vote Obama out in '12. Until then, enjoy the ass raping, conservatives. You earned it.[/QUOTE]

Please take some time off, you shouldn't be posting with PMS.

[quote name='AdultLink']Please take some time off, you shouldn't be posting with PMS.[/QUOTE]

I should stop posting with your mom's mouth on my cock but she likes when I get worked up.

[quote name='depascal22']I should stop posting with your mom's mouth on my cock but she likes when I get worked up.[/QUOTE]

My mom is 69. If you enjoy that type of thing then be my guest.

Ignoring the invitation for the obvious joke...

"CAG's "vs. mode": Politics & Controversy - Argue to your cheap ass heart's content on politics and other subjects ripe for argument.
This is place for mature discussion and is NOT a flame forum."

Now, we bend that rule. A lot. But there's usually at least some pretext of a legitimate argument or something. Now srsly guys, what the fuck?

[quote name='depascal22']I should stop posting with your mom's mouth on my cock but she likes when I get worked up.[/QUOTE]
Aren't you a great debater?

[quote name='atreyue']Obama should take a page from Beck's playbook. Drop all the rhetoric and bypass all the other politicians to speak with the people candidly. Make points. Allow counterpoints. Foster debate. Stop telling people who disagree to "get out of the way". Stop telling almost half of the American people that when he got elected they lost. If he does that, then the people won't stand for their "representatives" acting like dicks. But right now he's playing the same bullshit games all the other politicians are. If he's really post-partisan and not just a shill for powerful special interests, then he can buck the system and really aim for some positive change.[/quote]
I agree, but that's tough to do. No matter what comes out of his mouth, 40% are ready to hate it, 40% are ready to love it, and 20% don't care.
They didn't cover either one. Instead, they left it up to someone like Glenn Beck to choose issues to attack to fit his own agenda, and he's built a massive following because it's clear that many media sources (fox news included with all the others) are interested in telling people what to think instead of presenting 'facts' (this is subjective) and urging people to draw their own conclusions and check the veracity of those facts for themselves.
I wish he would more directly answer his critics. I would love for him to actually go on Beck or Limbaugh.
You're more than welcome to take the time to formulate a reasoned plan and then debate the merits of that plan to carefully consider the ramifications and improve it. Not write a bill, then tell congress you expect it passed by August without anyone needing to read it. It may be important, but it's too big to pass so quickly. There's too much that can go wrong. This wasn't even debated or discussed among libs.
That's not entirely fair. I feel like the guy tried to involved Congress as a even partner in the process and all they did was prove they're little more than squabbling children. To do that sometimes you have to prod a lege with deadlines. I don't think that's unreasonable. Passing a bill overnight is bullshit, but in 3 months I think is reasonable. Heck, we didn't even see the first draft of the first bill until a week or so ago. Now that there is a bill, they seem more able to make changes. They don't really seem capable of having the sort of nuanced debate about health care styles that I'd like. Then again, there wasn't shit nuanced about the health care town halls so it's not really like you can blame them for not being able to talk to us like grownups.

Keep your government hands off Medicare! Sigh.
Hillary would have done far more to undermine Obama than any republican could if he hadn't tied her to him with the Secretary position. He was smart to do so and she was dumb to accept. She may have actually been able to secure the '12 nomination if Obama tanks. Now she will share in his failure.
I've been thinking about this. I'm not sure you're right but it's been an interesting thing to chew on.
If you want to look to systemic theivery, look no further than the Bailout. The slogan of "Too big to fail" is the final frontier that all those payoff to government officials to make regulation changes leads to. Even if these companies crash the market willfully or through ineptitude, they will still get paid and be kept afloat. We don't even get a choice, because only the politicians are smart enough to fix the problems they were dumb enough to create.
I agree, but I also think the problem is a capitalism in which every step the businesses made only makes good business sense. It's smart business to be insane.
I don't give a shit about any politician or their political affiliation. I only care about what they do, not what they say. The whole idea of parties only exist at this point as a smokescreen intended to make the people choose a group and identify themselves with it. Then they will automatically hate the other group. The politicians don't care much about majorities and minorities. They profit share like the NFL. That way, everyone's covered when the tide of public opinion shifts. Only the lobbies are post-partisan in Washington D.C. They spread the money across both sides of the aisle.
I agree to a large extent. It's why I want to convert to a parliamentary system. More parties, less political stability for the entrenched, and theoretically more populism (though how we could get more populist than we are now I don't know).

Thinking that way is what gets me tasty quotes like the one in my gigantic new banner. Thanks thrust!

Oh I like how the 'fucking' was taken out of this thread's title, and ToonLink's 'Look at this fucking anti-war protester' is still uncensored. I appreciate the balance.

[quote name='IRHari']Oh I like how the 'fucking' was taken out of this thread's title, and ToonLink's 'Look at this fucking anti-war protester' is still uncensored. I appreciate the balance.[/QUOTE]
I suppose that has nothing to do with the fact that it hasn't been posted in for 3 days, is far down on the page, and only has 21 replies?

Possibly because this thread received some personalized attention in regards to some of the posts in it. I noticed they were removed.

On one hand, I do wish this forum had more moderation. On the other hand, I'm sure there'd be those who'd cry about it.

[quote name='IRHari']Oh I like how the 'fucking' was taken out of this thread's title, and ToonLink's 'Look at this fucking anti-war protester' is still uncensored. I appreciate the balance.[/QUOTE]

It isn't that big of a deal.

There most likely wasn't anything sinister about it, if I had to guess perhaps the cons here were the only ones who complained.

I doubt it. The mods probably only noticed it because things got a little out of hand in this thread and some posts were deleted. See: depascal's temp-banning.

[quote name='UncleBob']On one hand, I do wish this forum had more moderation. On the other hand, I'm sure there'd be those who'd cry about it.[/QUOTE]
Leave it to the libertarians to demand more regulation. :D

[quote name='speedracer']I agree, but that's tough to do. No matter what comes out of his mouth, 40% are ready to hate it, 40% are ready to love it, and 20% don't care.[/QUOTE]

But since he's saying stuff anyway, he might as well try some truth instead of what the highest percentage what to hear.

I wish he would more directly answer his critics. I would love for him to actually go on Beck or Limbaugh.

I don't think he should go on their shows, but he should address their concerns.

That's not entirely fair. I feel like the guy tried to involved Congress as a even partner in the process and all they did was prove they're little more than squabbling children. To do that sometimes you have to prod a lege with deadlines. I don't think that's unreasonable. Passing a bill overnight is bullshit, but in 3 months I think is reasonable. Heck, we didn't even see the first draft of the first bill until a week or so ago. Now that there is a bill, they seem more able to make changes. They don't really seem capable of having the sort of nuanced debate about health care styles that I'd like. Then again, there wasn't shit nuanced about the health care town halls so it's not really like you can blame them for not being able to talk to us like grownups.

The town halls were a direct result of how the government approached the issue. A very substantial amount of the country has seen nothing from this administration and congress that does anything but work against them. Most have been taken in by the "bribes" offered by the government and are just waiting for things to make real sense. Meanwhile from the president on down, everyone says they are doing what the people want them to do. Where else can someone show up to voice that they disagree? Then when they do take time off work to demonstrate their anger and dissatisfaction, they get called astroturf while bused-in Acorns get called grassroots.

I agree, but I also think the problem is a capitalism in which every step the businesses made only makes good business sense. It's smart business to be insane.

That only happens because of government corruption subverting capitalism. Capitalism says that if you overextend your business (through aggressive lending or whatever) you will fail when the people you never should have lent money to can't pay. The fact the you'll make more money short-term is offset by the fact that you will go out of business down the line. The free market adjusts on its own by taking the actions of consumers into account.

Off the top of my head, the government should only do 2 things: regulate for product safety and prevent monopolies. Instead, it has created regulations that ensure the domination of a select few companies and has injected (non-existent) capital into companies that eschewed long-term viability for short-term gain. These are what allow businesses to be 'insane'. That's not capitalism.

I agree to a large extent. It's why I want to convert to a parliamentary system. More parties, less political stability for the entrenched, and theoretically more populism (though how we could get more populist than we are now I don't know).

If the voters ignore the party system, wouldn't that have a profound effect on the idea of loyalty to your party before your constituency that our current system so happily embraces?

The thing Glenn Beck has done that has earned him so many supporters and ticked off Limbaugh and Hannity so much is refuse to march to a party line. It will be interesting to see if he attacks specific figures on the right as fervently as he has the left.

[quote name='speedracer']Leave it to the libertarians to demand more regulation. :D[/QUOTE]

I would be 100% against the government coming in and deciding which posts to delete and which ones could stay.

That fits perfectly in-line with my political views.

I'm 3/4 Irish, 1/4 French, which makes me MUCH whiter than most "white people". Yet every time I hear the phrases "white power" or "white pride" I want to puke.

Don't get me started on "race traitor". I'm not your brother. I don't owe you anything because we share skin tone.

I'm also amazed at the constant attitudes of the KKK and David Duke that white nationalists are supposedly "peaceful". You know WHY blacks can have black pride rallies and whites can't?

I'll tell you.

Have you ever seen a "white pride" rally that didn't focus on the extermination of other races?

[quote name='atreyue']But since he's saying stuff anyway, he might as well try some truth instead of what the highest percentage what to hear.[/quote]
That's not fair. Is there any reason to doubt what Obama is saying on issues? Whether you agree or not or think he's an idiot or not, I don't think he's straight up pandering. I think he believes this crap and people don't remember what liberalism looks like because they've been pulled so far to the right by Bush.

The town halls were a direct result of how the government approached the issue. A very substantial amount of the country has seen nothing from this administration and congress that does anything but work against them. Most have been taken in by the "bribes" offered by the government and are just waiting for things to make real sense. Meanwhile from the president on down, everyone says they are doing what the people want them to do. Where else can someone show up to voice that they disagree?
At the ballot box. And when you get whupped the way the opposition did, well, that's pretty much the loudest voice. The Dems are probably going to lose the mid term election. If they get the shit stomped out of them, shouldn't Obama respond to that?
That only happens because of government corruption subverting capitalism.
Sure. Now explain how that doesn't make good business sense.
Capitalism says that if you overextend your business (through aggressive lending or whatever) you will fail when the people you never should have lent money to can't pay. The fact the you'll make more money short-term is offset by the fact that you will go out of business down the line. The free market adjusts on its own by taking the actions of consumers into account.
Sure, if capital was a benign little kitty we could all pet and enjoy. Capital by nature ends up where it can work most effectively for the preservation and increase of capital. How does that not include buying politicians? We all know it does, we just pretend that if only we could stop those evil lobbyists everything would go back to to halcyon democratic Washingtonian times. Capital would never allow that because it doesn't make good business sense. Shit, we just watched capital virtually threaten to end finance in America if we didn't hand over the cash right the fuck now.
Off the top of my head, the government should only do 2 things: regulate for product safety and prevent monopolies. Instead, it has created regulations that ensure the domination of a select few companies and has injected (non-existent) capital into companies that eschewed long-term viability for short-term gain. These are what allow businesses to be 'insane'. That's not capitalism.
Yup. The final result is absolutely capitalism. When it matures and is de facto, it will move to solidify its position and the people with it will move to solidify their power and position (like every other "ruling" class in the history of history).

If the voters ignore the party system, wouldn't that have a profound effect on the idea of loyalty to your party before your constituency that our current system so happily embraces?
I don't follow the question. I've read it a couple of times and aren't quite sure how you mean it.

The thing Glenn Beck has done that has earned him so many supporters and ticked off Limbaugh and Hannity so much is refuse to march to a party line. It will be interesting to see if he attacks specific figures on the right as fervently as he has the left.
Thrustbuck...Beck is saying the same thing all people do when they wake up and realize their people just burned the country to the ground. They get all salty and point fingers and talk about how "they've walked away from their principles" and go all faux-emo "independent". Sure, Beck jumped off the bus around the 6 year mark of the Bush administration, but even Terry Schiavo could see how badly they had screwed the pooch by then. But I guarantee you next year, Beck will be pushing the button for the Republican.

/too soon?

The memory on these people is astounding. Beck, Hannity, Rush, all of em (I listen and love it) toed the party line like little bitches. Now they have something to rail against and the love the action. He will NEVER attack the right like he does the left.

Yeah I was thrown off by Glenn Beck saying McCain would be worse than Obama. I mean he was on O'Reilly he only had a few things against McCain, immigration, global warming, things that Obama agrees on too! It seems he has way more against Obama than he might ever have against McCain. Socialismuch?

Truly a rodeo clown. It's like watching two different people, the fear monger on his show, and the amusing almost likable character he plays off his show on other non-FOX shows (I just remembered the 'hatred for white people' comment on FOX&Friends)

[quote name='speedracer']That's not fair. Is there any reason to doubt what Obama is saying on issues? Whether you agree or not or think he's an idiot or not, I don't think he's straight up pandering. I think he believes this crap and people don't remember what liberalism looks like because they've been pulled so far to the right by Bush.[/QUOTE]

I don't think Obama gives straight answers. I think he gives rhetoric. And you only use rhetoric when you want to avoid discussion. I think he (and almost every other politician or professor) is smart enough to know rhetoric defies response. The people are idiots for accepting it.

And most conservatives would call Bush a progressive.

At the ballot box. And when you get whupped the way the opposition did, well, that's pretty much the loudest voice. The Dems are probably going to lose the mid term election. If they get the shit stomped out of them, shouldn't Obama respond to that?

So the voice of the people only gets to be heard during an election? Protests and demonstrations shouldn't happen? I assume they will also make sure to show up for the vote as well.

Sure. Now explain how that doesn't make good business sense.

Sure, if capital was a benign little kitty we could all pet and enjoy. Capital by nature ends up where it can work most effectively for the preservation and increase of capital. How does that not include buying politicians? We all know it does, we just pretend that if only we could stop those evil lobbyists everything would go back to to halcyon democratic Washingtonian times. Capital would never allow that because it doesn't make good business sense. Shit, we just watched capital virtually threaten to end finance in America if we didn't hand over the cash right the fuck now.

Yup. The final result is absolutely capitalism. When it matures and is de facto, it will move to solidify its position and the people with it will move to solidify their power and position (like every other "ruling" class in the history of history).

Even though it makes good business sense, it's still not capitalism. Buying politicians is done in an attempt to get around the rules of capitalism. Are you saying we shouldn't hold politicians to a standard that says "You don't sell out"? It's the voters' responsibility to make sure there are consequences to corruption. The first thing that turned me off to Barack Obama during the election was that I felt his message was to mobilize people to vote for him, then go back to paying no attention and rest easy that he had things under control. And all the people who bought into the idea that he stood for change and said "Never again!" to what happened under Bush seem more than happy with not being on his ass. Thinking that you have to wait for another election to make a difference is exactly what every corrupt politician wants you to think.

I don't follow the question. I've read it a couple of times and aren't quite sure how you mean it.

Politicians are certain that most everyone's gonna vote democrat or republican. This means everyone knows you'll be polarized or tune out. Those are the only real options as they see it. To compare it to cable news, you either watch Fox or CNN (MSNBC doesn't really deserve mention). If you really care, then you take a side. Then let the identity politics and marketing commence. I say, if you really care, watch C-Span, they don't try to influence you during their programming. No one can deny their facts. Then you decide for yourself. Every other network attempts to sway you with their carefully edited versions and 23.5 hours a day of commentary explaining what it means.

The party candidate can usually count on people voting based on party affiliation instead of individual records, so one of the most important things to a politician is to curry favor with the party (politicians) instead of their constituents. If people dropped the idea of party affliations as voters and focused on the candidates' service records, you would see elected officials that at least pretended to care about voters.

Thrustbuck...Beck is saying the same thing all people do when they wake up and realize their people just burned the country to the ground. They get all salty and point fingers and talk about how "they've walked away from their principles" and go all faux-emo "independent". Sure, Beck jumped off the bus around the 6 year mark of the Bush administration, but even Terry Schiavo could see how badly they had screwed the pooch by then. But I guarantee you next year, Beck will be pushing the button for the Republican.

911 + John Kerry '04 resulted in more faith being placed in Bush than he deserved. As more candidates begin to believe they really do stand a chance even without the backing of the 2 party machine at the local levels, it really will trickle up.

The memory on these people is astounding. Beck, Hannity, Rush, all of em (I listen and love it) toed the party line like little bitches. Now they have something to rail against and the love the action. He will NEVER attack the right like he does the left.

I agree with you on Rush and Hannity. Beck was saying during the election he thought both candidates were shitty. I really hope he attacks the right even more than the left. They're the ones being the most disingenuous right now.

[quote name='IRHari']Yeah I was thrown off by Glenn Beck saying McCain would be worse than Obama. I mean he was on O'Reilly he only had a few things against McCain, immigration, global warming, things that Obama agrees on too! It seems he has way more against Obama than he might ever have against McCain. Socialismuch?

Truly a rodeo clown. It's like watching two different people, the fear monger on his show, and the amusing almost likable character he plays off his show on other non-FOX shows (I just remembered the 'hatred for white people' comment on FOX&Friends)[/QUOTE]

As far as I can tell, Beck thinks that McCain would do the same things for the most part that Obama is doing. Things 'liberals' would agree with and not oppose, which conservatives should oppose and wouldn't because they were done by someone claiming to be a conservative. It's actually a pretty rational argument.

bread's done
Back