Looking for 26" HDTV at a B&M store for $500

Judhudson

CAGiversary!
I think I am planning on switching over to Hi-def now. I just don't know what to get. I have been doing a lot of reading about them. If possible, I would like to find one sold at a B&M store locally for around $500 so I can see the screen in person.

I'm currently looking at this Element 26" HDTV found at Circuit City: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Element-26-LCD-HDTV-FLX-2611B/sem/rpsm/context/99000982/oid/194702/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

When I searched about it, I found that it's a Circuit City brand, made by Polaroid. Does anyone here have any insight on this TV? Most of the reviews seem to enjoy it. And right now, it's only $429

I also looked at Bestbuy. I'm not sure what to go with, but most of their tvs are pricey. But I do have a 10% coupon to lower the cost.

Anyone here have any suggestions? I'm new to HD, so I honestly don't know what to look for. I hope to have enough connections so I can hook up my Wii (component) and PS3 when I decide to buy one (dunno what it should be hooked up by).

im in the same boat as you...for 500 you can get an off brand bigger or a samsung/sharp around 19-20 inches...i actually found a deal on a 26 inch Vizio, which are supposed to be the best of the lower brands, for around 450 on Walmart.com

This whole HDTV thing has me excited. I've never really paid attention to it in the past, but actually sitting down and watching a movie on it made me look into it more. The more I read, the more my interest gain into the HD world.

26" is the highest I can put in my entertainment center. I don't want to buy a new entertainment center either as I have it the way I like it. :)

I did look at the Westinghouse 26" Model SK-26H520 at Sam's Club, but after reading reviews, it has a huge problem on lipsync. I also read that Walmart has different tv's then the one that you buy from them, so the detail isn't that good once you hook it up at home. (I don't know if there is any truth to that).

I'm not to knowledgable on Vizio, is that a decent brand?

Stick with Olevia or Vizio if you are looking at budget brands. Both score well in Consumer Reports testing. The Olevia 5 Series is especially nice and price friendly. I personally have a 537H ran about $700 6 months ago.

If you are going to buy from Walmart, Vizio would be your best choice. I haven't seen a Vizio LCD returned, but nearly half of the other brands(Polaroid and Sanyo) have been returned.

[quote name='tah84ag']http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sams...78800/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Samsung 27 inch SlimFit CRT - Right now is $380

I have a very similar samsung, but paid 550 in Christmas of 06. Good TV, only bad thing is that it doesn't support 1080p (if you're into that kind of thing).[/QUOTE]
I have the same exact request, and i can't seem to find anything. I might have to settle for the 23inch samsung i found... But it think i could take a risk to get a bigger screen with an off name brand....

BTW, that tv's not hd, it's 480i.

I went ahead and bit the bullet. I now have a Vizio 26" HDTV.

I read alot on HDTV and all of the cables to hook it up with (go HDMI!) but I'm lost on one thing. I have satellite with DirecTV. I heard that the TV can pickup HD signals from Fox, ABC, the local channels. Does this go thru the box to where I hook a cable up to it, the tv automatically picks it up, or do I need to buy/trade in my DirecTV box for an HD one? It's currently hooked up via S-Video cables.

[quote name='Judhudson']I went ahead and bit the bullet. I now have a Vizio 26" HDTV.

I read alot on HDTV and all of the cables to hook it up with (go HDMI!) but I'm lost on one thing. I have satellite with DirecTV. I heard that the TV can pickup HD signals from Fox, ABC, the local channels. Does this go thru the box to where I hook a cable up to it, the tv automatically picks it up, or do I need to buy/trade in my DirecTV box for an HD one? It's currently hooked up via S-Video cables.[/QUOTE]

TV Can pick up local channels meaning you have to use rabbit ears/an antenna to do so.

[quote name='Judhudson']I went ahead and bit the bullet. I now have a Vizio 26" HDTV.

I read alot on HDTV and all of the cables to hook it up with (go HDMI!) but I'm lost on one thing. I have satellite with DirecTV. I heard that the TV can pickup HD signals from Fox, ABC, the local channels. Does this go thru the box to where I hook a cable up to it, the tv automatically picks it up, or do I need to buy/trade in my DirecTV box for an HD one? It's currently hooked up via S-Video cables.[/quote] i researched tv's depths and recently found that these tvs are around 8inches deep. Wow, if they are 8inches, they'll take up most of my deskspace. Are these tv's really that deep? I thought they were super thin.

Im looking at that element one(the vizio would be fine, except it don't have an audio out port. Maybe the headphone port would do, since all im doing is connecting speakers anyway), and it seems they say it's 8inches deep. I wouldn't believe that.

I read alot on HDTV and all of the cables to hook it up with (go HDMI!) but I'm lost on one thing. I have satellite with DirecTV. I heard that the TV can pickup HD signals from Fox, ABC, the local channels. Does this go thru the box to where I hook a cable up to it, the tv automatically picks it up, or do I need to buy/trade in my DirecTV box for an HD one? It's currently hooked up via S-Video cables.[/quote]

You need to get an HD DirectTV box. You can get the local HD channels free, but you need an ATSC tuner. If your TV has that built-in, then you just need to attach an antenna to the TV. If not, you have to buy a seperate ATSC tuner box.

Ok, just go thru purchasing some Component Cables for my Wii, and boy does it look sweeter than ever. I never knew what the big fuss was with the whole HD thing, but now I'm in love :D

The only problem is trying to get my folks to look into one. They have no clue what HD is and still think they are fine with their 20 year old set. LOL

[quote name='Judhudson']Ok, just go thru purchasing some Component Cables for my Wii, and boy does it look sweeter than ever. I never knew what the big fuss was with the whole HD thing, but now I'm in love :D

The only problem is trying to get my folks to look into one. They have no clue what HD is and still think they are fine with their 20 year old set. LOL[/quote] dude, i actually am interested in getting this set now. Seems like a worthy purchase for my bedroom. With component cables(I got the official ones at $12) i think it'll be better. But i have one question. Does it have any audio out ports? Since im thinking about connecting them to computer speakers to get 4.1 sound, will it be loud enough if i just simply connect them to the headphone port?

What did you pay for the set?

As for others: Spare your fellow CAG some coupons.

[quote name='blackbird3216']dude, i actually am interested in getting this set now. Seems like a worthy purchase for my bedroom. With component cables(I got the official ones at $12) i think it'll be better. But i have one question. Does it have any audio out ports? Since im thinking about connecting them to computer speakers to get 4.1 sound, will it be loud enough if i just simply connect them to the headphone port?

What did you pay for the set?

As for others: Spare your fellow CAG some coupons.[/quote]

I wish I knew of coupons for Walmart, but I came up empty. Total price with tax was just around $501.

The TV does have headphone jacks. As for you other audio questions, I am not sure, I don't know much about audio. But the sound it puts out thru the TV speakers is great!

Here is the walmart info page: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5623471

As of right now, I have my PC hooked up thru VGA and my Wii thru Component. I'm waiting on an HD Receiver box from DirecTV so I can hook that up by HDMI. I cannot wait to watch the Superbowl in Hi-def. I'm going to crack up laughing if my dad goes to my room to watch the game.

I have this same Vizio...no it does not have audio out (optical).

Depending on your distance to the TV towers, a cheap indoor antenna may work fine for picking up local HD channels. Just plug it into the coax jack on the TV. (You will have to switch inputs btw DirectTV and antenna).

A head's up for anyone interested in this TV:

The screen is set back around 1/2" in the frame. The problem I am seeing is that the 1/2" of frame is glossy black like the rest of the TV frame...the picture reflects on to it and can be a bit distracting watching a movie at night with the lights out. The TV is setting a bit higher up than it should be (on a dresser) and a tilt wall mount bracket might lesson the problem.

[quote name='h2dk']I have this same Vizio...no it does not have audio out (optical).

Depending on your distance to the TV towers, a cheap indoor antenna may work fine for picking up local HD channels. Just plug it into the coax jack on the TV. (You will have to switch inputs btw DirectTV and antenna).

A head's up for anyone interested in this TV:

The screen is set back around 1/2" in the frame. The problem I am seeing is that the 1/2" of frame is glossy black like the rest of the TV frame...the picture reflects on to it and can be a bit distracting watching a movie at night with the lights out. The TV is setting a bit higher up than it should be (on a dresser) and a tilt wall mount bracket might lesson the problem.[/quote] that shouldn't be a problem for me because when i use my tv's i leave the lights on...

Anyway(sorry for the late response), One more thing seals the deal. is it possible to have speakers on the TV on and some computer speakers connected through the audio out port at the same time? Plus, need some wall mounts and info if Monoprice is a safe place to shop.

Oh, and an external anteena

I saw at least 2 instore returns for those Vizios at Walmart the same day, I really wouldn't consider buying and HDTV for cheap, you really get what you pay for. Stay away from polariod, element, and other generic brands such as Insignia from bestbuy.

Make sure the HD also has a contrast of at least 1000:1 anything below that it's really hard to determine darker areas and white when watchig movies.

Buy Sony,Toshiba,Pioneer,Mitsubishi. Those are the quality sets that are made to last. Samsung is a good brand also.

One of the TVs I have is an Olevia 26 inch (up to 1080i). I paid $375 (about 2 months ago), and it came with a TV tuner, and alot of other features. I have had no problems with it, and it seems to be the perfect starter HDTV...

bread's done
Back