Looking for a Blu-ray home theater, suggestions/recommendations?

specialk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I'm looking to make the jump to blu-ray, as well as a home theater/surround sound. I've seen the combos at Wal-Mart/Target/Best Buy and was wondering if any of you had suggestions to what a good player and system would be? I'm not looking for $1000s of sound equipment, just something for a small room. Maybe sub-$300 but I'd look above that as well. Thanks!

Thanks, I checked that site and and will keep an eye on it.

Anyone else have recommendations of systems/players you own or have used?

OP, are you looking at doing it with a HTiB (Home Theatre in a Box), or are you looking to do it with a receiver, speakers and a BD player?

I'd say leaning more towards HTiB, but I wouldn't be opposed to a receiver,speakers, player.

I know little to nothing about this area, and just looking to add a blu ray player and some decent sound.

The other question is if you want this setup to be speaker/surround sound for other devices than your BD player.

When you go the HTIB route, it's hard to add in external devices so that you can get the surround sound to work with them.

If all you want is a BD player + speaker/surround sound, a HTIB is a inexpensive entry point, though won't do much for long-term worth.

A low-end receiver, some speakers and a decent BD player can be nailed down for $600 - $800, depending on the items and the price you can find them for.

You could go with an Onkyo TX-S608 ($300 - $350), Energy Take Classic 5.1 ($400) and some speaker wire, you're at $800, then you'd need to add a BD player. Prices pulled from NewEgg, just as an example.

I picked up my current setup over Memorial Day 2009 between Onkyo's online refurb store and World Wide Stereo, with some good sales. This weekend is certainly one to look at for deals, and Onkyo makes some decent receiver + speaker combinations that are more powerful with a HTIB, when you add in a BD player. Their HT-S3400 (5.1) and HT-S5400 (7.1) systems are a receiver and 5.1 / 7.1 speakers, so you'd just need to add in a BD player and speaker wire.

Product page:
http://www.us.onkyo.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Systems

For speaker wire and banana plugs, I picked all of mine up from Monoprice. Good cables at good prices.

My receiver (Onkyo TX-SR876) has a OG Xbox, Wii, PS2 and GC all hooked in via component switch then into the receiver, as well as a Tivo S3, Xbox 360, PS3 and HD-DVD player. Works great with great sound.

Going with a receiver, discrete speakers and a discrete BD player will work better in the long run, though it'll be more money in the long run. The Onkyo HT systems have decent starter speakers, and you can swap them out with better speakers down the road, or a better receiver.

bread's done
Back