Looking for a Cheap Home Theatre

MikeHoncho

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
I'm looking for a home theatre, mainly for online play. Don't really want to spend much, around $200 or less. I was thinking about buying a turtle beach but I don't want to spend $200 on a headset and frankly think the other models suck.

I'm using an RCA RT2760 and it's starting to crap out on me, another reason I need a new one, might go over $200 if it's worth it. Also must have Dolby Pro Logic 2

I might get this one:
http://www.walmart.com/Phillips-Home-Theater-Upconverting-DVD-Player/ip/9856636

Thanks for any input

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that Phillips has HDMI...but it really seems to skimp on the audio inputs. Other than HDMI, you've got 1 SPDIF and 2 regular analogs. I guess if you don't need much, it's all right, but it really doesn't give you many options. Try looking here.

http://shoponkyo.com/products.cfm?group_id=1&subcat=Systems

I got a refurbished HT-S3100S on sale about a month ago for about $155, and it's been incredible. Looked brand new out of the box and I haven't had a single problem with it. It also has a one year parts & labor warranty (which is all that Phillips has). And since you're buying directly from the manufacturer, you'll get better service if anything did go wrong.

I registered for a "Club Onkyo" membership (free) at the time, and it gave me a $10 off discount as well. Plus, shipping is free. Getting one with HDMI will cost a bit more, but you'll no doubt be getting a better system. Definitely worth a look though.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, that Phillips has HDMI...but it really seems to skimp on the audio inputs. Other than HDMI, you've got 1 SPDIF and 2 regular analogs. I guess if you don't need much, it's all right, but it really doesn't give you many options. Try looking here.

http://shoponkyo.com/products.cfm?group_id=1&subcat=Systems

I got a refurbished HT-S3100S on sale about a month ago for about $155, and it's been incredible. Looked brand new out of the box and I haven't had a single problem with it. It also has a one year parts & labor warranty (which is all that Phillips has). And since you're buying directly from the manufacturer, you'll get better service if anything did go wrong.

I registered for a "Club Onkyo" membership (free) at the time, and it gave me a $10 off discount as well. Plus, shipping is free. Getting one with HDMI will cost a bit more, but you'll no doubt be getting a better system. Definitely worth a look though.[/QUOTE]
Is it just the speaker cables missing or is it talking about power cables?

[quote name='MikeHoncho']Is it just the speaker cables missing or is it talking about power cables?[/quote]

Mine didn't have any missing cables. Like I said, everything was like brand new. My remote actually did come with batteries too. I don't know if that's any kind of guarantee, but take it for what it's worth. I would think it's referring to things like HDMI cables or optical cables. Calling speaker wire a "cable" is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

Also, here's the thread I created about it back then so you can see others opinions as well.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218586&highlight=onkyo

The power cables will be included... it would be stupid of them not to give them to you. They say speaker cables aren't included but I've heard of a lot of people getting Onkyo refurbs but never heard anyone actually not receive speaker cables.

I've had my Onkyo HT-S790 refurb for 3 years now... it's been running perfectly, I love my set up.

raise your $$$ amount and think more long-term.....something for $150 won't last too long ya know. And yes Onkyo all the way

get those onkyo $350 sets.

i think they have some at 300

my dad has one and its wonderful
i think he got it for 289+shipping, check their website

It doesn't seem like any of the $300 and under sets have HDMI outputs. . . Are they still better than say a phillips with HDMI?

[quote name='Pyloric']It doesn't seem like any of the $300 and under sets have HDMI outputs. . . Are they still better than say a phillips with HDMI?[/quote]
yes, they are. Just accept the fact that you will be using component hookups and digital coax or a digital audio optical cable. It will be much better than those all in one phillips that have an hdmi hookup.

If it were me, I wouldn't pick up a HTS without HDMI connectivity. Just too much stuff out now and upcoming future that will take advantage of it. I would hate to plop $300 down, when you can spend $50 more and grab one that at least has HDMI capability.

How long can you wait to grab one? If you can wait awhile, shoponkyo.com will occasionally will give 15% off refurb units around holidays (the last one I remember being St. Patrick's day). So there's a realistic chance that you might see one on Mother's Day or more likely, Father's Day sale. In addition they'll sometimes give an additional 10% discount to new shoponkyo.com members.

But neither is promotion is going on right now(or at least the 155 one is not), but I would expect them to do it at least once in the next couple of months.

If you can wait for the sale those, you can pick up one of these:
Here
For under $300 with the discounts.

[quote name='Puffoluf$$$us']If it were me, I wouldn't pick up a HTS without HDMI connectivity. Just too much stuff out now and upcoming future that will take advantage of it. I would hate to plop $300 down, when you can spend $50 more and grab one that at least has HDMI capability.[/quote]

Well, with money being no factor, you'd always want the best you can possibly get. But, it's not like the cheaper sets force you to miss out on anything. Unless you've got a pretty damn big living room, the 7.1 is somewhat wasted. And aside from using the receiver essentially as a "switcher", what benefit do you think you're getting from the 3 HDMI inputs?

Even with that S3100, you're getting 2 optical inputs and one coax, so you've got enough digital inputs to connect a PS3, Xbox 360, and your TV/DVD (which is exactly how I have mine set up). I'm not saying don't spring for the system you linked to. God knows I would have liked to, but I just didn't have that much to spend (also, I don't think they had that one refurbished at the time). But you should take the needs of the user into account as well. Remember, this is what was originally posted.

I'm looking for a home theatre, mainly for online play. Don't really want to spend much, around $200 or less.

When I signed into my Onkyo account yesterday, it showed the S3100S discounted to $169. Assuming you still get 10 points at sign up, that drops it to $159. That makes it cheaper than the Phillips...and a hell of a lot better option in that price range.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, with money being no factor, you'd always want the best you can possibly get. But, it's not like the cheaper sets force you to miss out on anything. Unless you've got a pretty damn big living room, the 7.1 is somewhat wasted. And aside from using the receiver essentially as a "switcher", what benefit do you think you're getting from the 3 HDMI inputs?

Even with that S3100, you're getting 2 optical inputs and one coax, so you've got enough digital inputs to connect a PS3, Xbox 360, and your TV/DVD (which is exactly how I have mine set up). I'm not saying don't spring for the system you linked to. God knows I would have liked to, but I just didn't have that much to spend (also, I don't think they had that one refurbished at the time). But you should take the needs of the user into account as well. Remember, this is what was originally posted.

When I signed into my Onkyo account yesterday, it showed the S3100S discounted to $169. Assuming you still get 10 points at sign up, that drops it to $159. That makes it cheaper than the Phillips...and a hell of a lot better option in that price range.[/quote]
:applause:

Exactly! For what the op is looking to spend tha will be the best available option. Those all in one systems are crap. Don't get me wrong though, if I was the op and could get an all in one for under $100 that is what I would do. Then save for down the road if you want a better one. I would have bought an onkyo refurb in december if I needed everything but I didn't. I bought the yamaha v663 and love it. Now to really save for some good speakers and a sub which will be 5 timeswhat the reciever cost and tha is still on the cheaper side of things.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, with money being no factor, you'd always want the best you can possibly get. But, it's not like the cheaper sets force you to miss out on anything. Unless you've got a pretty damn big living room, the 7.1 is somewhat wasted. [/quote]

Agreed. Personally, I would just buy an receiver of my choice and assemble a speaker set to meet my needs (whether 5.1, 7.1 or what have you). The OP sounded like he wanted something quick and easy like a complete system (i.e. HTIB) rather than picking and choosing different components to suit his need.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']
And aside from using the receiver essentially as a "switcher", what benefit do you think you're getting from the 3 HDMI inputs?
[/quote]

Well, this part was mainly pointed towards Pyloric who commented on how he/she couldn't find an HDMI capable receiver/set for less than $300. That was the main reason why I pointed out the set that I did to show that with refurbs + promotions + sales you can get a great set (though maybe excessive for you needs) for under $300.

As far as the "switcher" part, I think that if the OP or whoever else plans on investing in something like a DVD upconverter or a Blu-Ray player then having an HDMI capable receiver simplifies things. Unless I'm mistaken or times have changed, DVDs cannot be upconverted over component and Blu-Rays will display at a max of 1080i due to HDCP restrictions. If you stick with a component receiver, then you'll have to by pass the receiver to go straight to the TV, which I think is a waste of "non-use" out of your receiver.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']
But you should take the needs of the user into account as well. Remember, this is what was originally posted.
[/quote]

Right, for some reason I read the OP's post and then I read Pyloric's post and for some reason it went through my head that they were the same person. Basically, I took the content of the 1st post and spliced it together with the assumption that he/she was in the market for a receiver that was HDMI capable for less than $300, which is what I based the bulk of my post on. So, that's a reading comprehension fail there.

But for what the OP seems to want, the sets y'all are posting seem great and have a nice value, esp. if the OP is mainly wanting them for game play and not for media playback (i.e. DVDs and Blu-ray).

Puffoluf$$$us (nice edit CAG censor..nice, lol), I hear you man. You had some really good points, and seeing the 7.1 system you posted made me covet, haha. I just know how these things tend to go. One person points out "Well, this one's a little better". Then another guy goes "Well, yeah, but for a little more, you could get this!" And then before you know it, we've got the OP spending $1,200 on our dream home theater set up, lol.

As far as having a receiver without HDMI (ie. the S3100), my TV has 2 HDMI inputs, and 3 components. The way I do it is I've got my PS3 and upconverting DVD player connected to the TV via HDMI, and my Xbox 360 connected component (I don't have cable/satellite, so that's not a factor for me). Then, I've got the PS3 and 360 connected to the receiver via optical and the DVD through coax. It might be a "waste", but it allows me to output sound through my TV speakers during "quiet times" and rattle the walls through the Onkyo when it's time to party. As a married man, this is a "feature" that can't be undervalued, haha. ;)

I think I'm going to settle on the one n8rockerasu showed me. Thanks for all of your guys help. I'm not knowledgeable on audio equipment so I doubt I would have ever got that set. Thanks again

[quote name='MikeHoncho']I think I'm going to settle on the one n8rockerasu showed me. Thanks for all of your guys help. I'm not knowledgeable on audio equipment so I doubt I would have ever got that set. Thanks again[/quote]
Good choice. Enjoy it and its functionality will be much longer for you than that phillips.

[quote name='MikeHoncho']I think I'm going to settle on the one n8rockerasu showed me. Thanks for all of your guys help. I'm not knowledgeable on audio equipment so I doubt I would have ever got that set. Thanks again[/quote]

Nice man, make sure you sign up for Club Onkyo first so you can get a potential discount. It's a really nice system. When the UPS guy delivered it, I knew it was serious because the box was huge, haha. As I unpacked it, I kept thinking "wow...these speakers are big!" The subwoofer itself weighs almost 15 pounds. And the system is loud! Onkyo is a great company, man. You won't be disappointed!

bread's done
Back