Looking for a deal on a moderate gaming pc

dejeckt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
Not really wanna build a computer ground up (for some reason whenever I add the cost of the OS it always seems to be more expensive than it should be)...

Prolly looking to see to buy a prebuilt computer which I could swap the video card

...or should I build my computer? (can't make up my mind...)

I never used linux before...and isn't wine pretty slow?

I could get a Windows OS... however this time around I want retail or oem copy

Last time I built a computer was 7-8 years ago (been broke since then... now I have some cash to burn), so I'm a little out of practice (don't really know whats good or not anymore).

I was thinking of purchasing an HP or something (I know that most brand name computer uses horrible mother boards and barely adequate power supplies...) and swapping the vid card or power supply unit right away and eventually upgrade on memory

Really I'm not sure which route to take

I just checked out newegg...
and apparently that $300.00 asus eee box is equivalent to my computer (which costed me about 700-800 to build 8 years ago)

What kind of price point are you looking for? I mean, you can always fall back to the $700 Crysis ULTRA PC that was pretty competent for the price, but that's hardly a 'deal' as far as Cheap Ass gamers are concerned.

[quote name='jonac13']What kind of price point are you looking for? I mean, you can always fall back to the $700 Crysis ULTRA PC that was pretty competent for the price, but that's hardly a 'deal' as far as Cheap Ass gamers are concerned.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I looked into that PC as well but found that you can match the price with your own list. The trick is to not buy just from one site, but a number of sites. A lot of people compile lists like on NewEgg and order just from them. You really should look into ordering from various sites to get that price down and performance up. It's very possible doing it this way. Only problem would be is that if you have to RM anything back it might be to multiple shopping sites.

If you happen to have an .edu email address (or know someone who does) you can grab vista ultimate for $65 from theultimatesteal.com

wouldn't ordering from multiple sites rack up the shipping cost? If I can save $75+ by going multiple vendors then I might consider it.

I'm looking to spend $800 total ($700-$900 depending on the computer and deal)
so if I'm using $150-$200 on parts... then that computer should be around $600

If I were to build a computer... I made up somewhat of a list of the things I would need and its about $860 including shipping

I wanted to see if there was a deal for a computer (lets say an 800 computer on sale for 600). Then I could buy parts for the computer that seems less competent to suit my needs....

All in all I prolly build my computer (really not too excited in assembling my own pc... but at least I will know what parts I'm putting in)

bread's done
Back