Looking for a deal on a new hard drive for my PS3 (notebook hard drive >= 1 TB)

Josh1billion

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I'm looking to upgrade my [fat] PS3's 40GB hard drive to at least 1TB.

From what I've researched, the restrictions in choosing a hard drive seem to be as follows:
- needs to be a notebook hard drive (i.e., it needs to be 2.5", otherwise it won't fit in the PS3's HDD tray)
- certain notebook hard drives are still too tall, as some are taller than 9.5mm (so I check user reviews on Newegg to be sure the HDD will fit)
- going higher than 5400 RPM is reported by many users to be unnecessary

The best candidate I've found so far is the Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD10JPVT 1TB 5400 RPM , which goes for $130 on Newegg.. or $112 on Buy.com (and eligible for a $5 off coupon = $107).

Is the $107 on Buy.com my best bet for a 1TB PS3-compatible hard drive?

I'm not in a rush to make a purchase, so if anyone has any suggestions for sites to watch that might put one on sale in the future, please feel free to post them. :) I've been checking Newegg's e-mails for a while now, and they have some decent sales on notebook hard drives, but nothing on 1TB unfortunately.

I need to upgrade my Slim PS3's hard drive ASAP as well!

I have a 500GB HDD sitting in my YLOD 60GB Fat PS3 but I'm holding out in the hopes that someone will figure out a way to access the save data via PC or another method so I'm leaving that one alone for the time being.

On that note, I'd swear I heard the biggest HDD size PS3's supported was 500GB - is that no longer the case??

A 1TB drive would be wonderful!

[quote name='Gameboy415']I need to upgrade my Slim PS3's hard drive ASAP as well!

I have a 500GB HDD sitting in my YLOD 60GB Fat PS3 but I'm holding out in the hopes that someone will figure out a way to access the save data via PC or another method so I'm leaving that one alone for the time being.

On that note, I'd swear I heard the biggest HDD size PS3's supported was 500GB - is that no longer the case??

A 1TB drive would be wonderful![/QUOTE]
I have a 750GB in mine so 500 is not the max.

[quote name='Gameboy415']On that note, I'd swear I heard the biggest HDD size PS3's supported was 500GB - is that no longer the case??

A 1TB drive would be wonderful![/QUOTE]
The Newegg reviews for the 1 TB Scorpio Blue drive have a few people saying that they installed it successfully in their PS3's, so it looks like there isn't that limitation (anymore).

[quote name='shrike4242']Amazon has it for $114:
www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Scorpio-2-5-Inch-Notebook/dp/B005DVJJWQ/

I'd rather get it from Amazon than Buy.com any day of the week and the $7 is worth dealing with Amazon CS than Buy.com CS.[/QUOTE]
I dunno. I've ordered from Buy.com several times and have never had a problem.

[quote name='Josh1billion']I dunno. I've ordered from Buy.com several times and have never had a problem.[/QUOTE]If you've never had any issues with Buy.com, then feel free to order from them. I've had nothing but issues with my orders from Buy.com, which is why I don't choose to order from them any longer.

Either way, I think the Buy.com is the cheapest you can find it, then Amazon.

[quote name='62t']I have a 750GB in mine so 500 is not the max.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Josh1billion']The Newegg reviews for the 1 TB Scorpio Blue drive have a few people saying that they installed it successfully in their PS3's, so it looks like there isn't that limitation (anymore).
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the confirmation!

I think the issue may have been that drives larger than 500GB were physically taller than 9.5mm at the time I upgraded (late 2007-early 2008, IIRC) so they wouldn't fit.
I could be completely wrong but who cares, 1TB here I come! :D

[quote name='Gameboy415']Thanks for the confirmation!

I think the issue may have been that drives larger than 500GB were physically taller than 9.5mm at the time I upgraded (late 2007-early 2008, IIRC) so they wouldn't fit.
I could be completely wrong but who cares, 1TB here I come! :D[/QUOTE]
Hahah nice. :) Glad I could help. I'll be doing my upgrade after a paycheck or two as well. :cool:

[quote name='Josh1billion']Thanks for posting, though that is the same link Shrike posted. ;)[/QUOTE]

Oops, my bad. :roll:
Saw his price, noticed it differed, and posted. Didn't actually click his link. Sorry XC

[quote name='ProAnon']Oops, my bad. :roll:
Saw his price, noticed it differed, and posted. Didn't actually click his link. Sorry XC[/QUOTE]Your link is for a third-party seller that's a few dollars cheaper than Amazon, though also with free shipping.

The link I posted is the "main" product link, which shows that seller as well as Amazon.

Another option is the Samsung SpinPoint 1TB 2.5" HDD:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SpinPoint-5400rpm-2-5-Inch-HN-M101MBB/dp/B0053YLTBC/

A little more money than the WD drive, like $116 from Amazon.

Funny I go to post a l thread to ask about a hard drive and here one is. With the free PS+ stuff I need a bigger one.

Aside from the 1 TB one, what about a 500 GB one?

[quote name='Buzzman']Funny I go to post a l thread to ask about a hard drive and here one is. With the free PS+ stuff I need a bigger one.

Aside from the 1 TB one, what about a 500 GB one?[/QUOTE]

Same, I need one now too thanks to PS+. If anyone knows any good prices or deals on a 500 GB PS3 compatible harddrive, please tell. ^__^

I checked amazon and newegg for 500 GB drives and most of them were around $75-$80. I think I'm just going to pay the extra money for twice the GB.

I dont mean to hijack the thread, but whats the best deal on a 500GB HD for a ps3? Could I get one for less than $50?

[quote name='kube00']I dont mean to hijack the thread, but whats the best deal on a 500GB HD for a ps3? Could I get one for less than $50?[/QUOTE]

Nope. The HDD supply hadn't gotten back to pre-flood levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shrike4242']Your link is for a third-party seller that's a few dollars cheaper than Amazon, though also with free shipping.

The link I posted is the "main" product link, which shows that seller as well as Amazon.

Another option is the Samsung SpinPoint 1TB 2.5" HDD:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SpinPoint-5400rpm-2-5-Inch-HN-M101MBB/dp/B0053YLTBC/

A little more money than the WD drive, like $116 from Amazon.[/QUOTE]

This is the hard drive I have in my PS3. And it's only $96.99 on Amazon right now. Great deal! :)

^Nice! Thanks for the heads-up on that price drop. I'm finally going to be placing my order in a week, and that's the one I'm going to go with now instead of the Scorpio Blue.

That's pretty expensive. You can usually find a 2tb external hard drive for that price.
Something like:
http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Seagate-Exp...&_osacat=0&_dmpt=US_External_Hard_Disk_Drives

(just make sure the guts are a 2.5 inch drive)

What I'd do if I were you is get a 2tb external, take out the drive and pop it into your PS3.
Then you have a free external enclosure that you can format your old ps3 drive and use it for extra PC storage!

[quote name='Hybrid5006']That's pretty expensive. You can usually find a 2tb external hard drive for that price.
Something like:
http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Seagate-Exp...&_osacat=0&_dmpt=US_External_Hard_Disk_Drives

(just make sure the guts are a 2.5 inch drive)

What I'd do if I were you is get a 2tb external, take out the drive and pop it into your PS3.
Then you have a free external enclosure that you can format your old ps3 drive and use it for extra PC storage![/QUOTE]

Will a 2tb HDD work in a PS3?

I finally placed my order for the Samsung SpinPoint yesterday. Logged into Amazon today, and I see the price shot up $13 since I placed my order, wow. :eek:

bread's done
Back