looking for a good first/third person shooter

Concealed Identity

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Any suggestions? I'm looking for something semi-realistic, meaning not jumping around like a goon as a Quake-like super-soldier, but moreso where you have to use cover and your environment a bit.

I have Timesplitters 2, but it's not really the game I'm looking for. I thought about Battlefield 2, but I don't have a modem to play multiplayer. Black is really close to what I want, but I played three missions at my friends' house (there's only EIGHT?) and I feel like I would beat it in a week and then never touch it again since the levels aren't broken up enough to make me want to replay them casually. Killzone looks pretty much like what I want, but all the reviews said the controls and framerate were super shitty, so I'd probably hate it.

I don't like World War 2 simulations, and playing as the US military is generally a turnoff, so that rules out Medal of Honor/Call of Duty/Brothers in Arms, etc. Socom 2 (3 never came out here in Japan) might be tolerable; I enjoyed Rainbow Six Vegas for XBox360 since it wasn't really ramming propaganda down your throat, but all of the Rainbow Six/Ghost Recon games for PS2 got pretty poor reviews.

Any suggestions? I might have just excluded every good game, but I'm open to anything. Thanks in advance.

[quote name='rickonker']Half-Life? A lot of people seem to like it.[/quote]

Definitely not a bad suggestion, but I played it on the PC when it came out. Wow, I'm old :cry: (PS- I want a smiley of this face doing the clapping motion of the guy to the right of him).

Ugh, I was going to tell you that PS2 is not the way to go for the type of game you described but then I remembered the Metal Gear Solid series...jeez. (Sorry, it's early!) Definately, definately play through Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, and Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (do NOT get Snake eater, the camera is BROKEN in that version.) They proclaim themselves to be "stealth" games, but they have so many weapons and so many action scenes that they're DEFINATELY NOT anything similar to the Splinter Cell series (which I find to play very slowly, but also is recommendable if you really want a stealth game[read: pure stealth].) But c'mon. MGS is the shit. I don't think I need to sell it to you. But if you have a question to a particular feel free to ask.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Ugh, I was going to tell you that PS2 is not the way to go for the type of game you described but then I remembered the Metal Gear Solid series...jeez. (Sorry, it's early!) Definately, definately play through Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, and Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (do NOT get Snake eater, the camera is BROKEN in that version.) They proclaim themselves to be "stealth" games, but they have so many weapons and so many action scenes that they're DEFINATELY NOT anything similar to the Splinter Cell series (which I find to play very slowly, but also is recommendable if you really want a stealth game[read: pure stealth].) But c'mon. MGS is the shit. I don't think I need to sell it to you. But if you have a question to a particular feel free to ask.[/quote]

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I actually played through and beat MGS2 when I first got my PS2 a couple of years ago. I hated the story and cutscenes, but the game itself was really fun. I got MGS3, got a broken leg (in the game, not in real life), and couldn't be assed to read the mountain of Japanese text telling me how to fix it, so I looked on the internet only to see mountains of English text telling me to fix it and then decided that it wasn't really the game for me.

As far as third-person action games in the vein I was describing go, the two I've really enjoyed were Mercenaries and Freedom Fighters (if that clarifies to others what I'm talking about).

Thanks again.

Killzone 1 has alot of interesting guns. I have finished the game and I found it to be technically good but uninspired. It was sony's halo killer lol. I'm also a fan of timesplitters, but I much prefer them on the xbox controls.

If you haven't played resident evil 4 yet now is the time to do yourself that favor.

Yeah I was trying to decide between Black and Killzone, and ended up ordering Black, mostly because I can find it for $15 but Killzone is at least twice that price everywhere.

Also, the people who LIKED Killzone seem few and far between. I watched some Youtube videos of it and didn't really see any examples of the slowdown a lot of the reviews talked about, but the aiming looked absolutely awful. It could've just been the guy playing it, but considering a lot of the reviews said aiming was difficult I'm led to believe it's a problem.

[quote name='camoor']Yeah Res Evil 4 FTW

Also Killzone isn't that bad on a slim, I suggest you give it a try.[/QUOTE]
It plays different on a slim?

What did everybody think of Area 51? I never even knew it existed but see that it got some pretty good reviews, and I can order it online for about $15. Any opinions on that one?

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']The campaign on Gears of War 2 is a must.
But I don't know if that was released in Japan...[/QUOTE]

...or on PS2.

So I started playing Black today, and I really like it. The checkpoint system and lack of saves is REALLY annoying though, since I don't usually have a lot of time to play games, and I think the second level took me over an hour, and I remember when I played it at a friends' house the third level took a lot longer than that. So, here's hoping I have time to finish it at some point.

I tried to play Black but I found the pre-mission cut scenes to be like getting teeth pulled, and the missions were SOOOOO freaking long.

[quote name='Concealed Identity']So I started playing Black today, and I really like it. The checkpoint system and lack of saves is REALLY annoying though, since I don't usually have a lot of time to play games, and I think the second level took me over an hour, and I remember when I played it at a friends' house the third level took a lot longer than that. So, here's hoping I have time to finish it at some point.[/quote]

That game gave me a headache.

Yeah, I'm enjoying it though. It at least adds a bit of tension to the game, but hour+ long levels are really annoying. Hopefully I can look past that and have some fun with it, though.

bread's done
Back