Looking for a good, overlooked hack'nslash or game for that matter

tmly

CAGiversary!
Feedback
70 (100%)
I think I've played all the AAA titles out there and was wondering if there's any hidden gems that I'm missing. Two of my favorites are Bourne Conspiracy and X-men Origins and neither sold too well I think. I am going to pick up Alone in the Dark, Turok and Peter Jackson's King Kong during the Gamestop sale...yeah I know, pretty slim pickings.

If you have a PS3, get Alone In The Dark Inferno. It was delayed and so the developers added, altered and improved the game, somewhat, based on the feedback from what players of the xbox, pc, and wii crowd said needed attention.

Guardian Heroes, Too Human, Ninja Blade, Ninety-Nine Nights, No More Heroes, Shadows of the Damned, Heavenly Sword, Darksiders, Dark Sector, Monster Madness (PS3 version), Dante's Inferno

I wish I would have saved my older consoles but I'm a graphics whore so it's hard for me to play prior gen games.

[quote name='Zaku77']Grab the Wolverine game. It's actually awesome![/QUOTE]

I heard the same about this game.

Also, add Rise to Honor (PS2 Jet Li game, similar attacking mechanic using the right analog stick that Too Human uses), Viewtiful Joe, and also adding Hunter: The Reckoning for the xbox.

It's NOT a hack & slash, but I have just one word.

Catherine

It's seriously like one part puzzle game, one part anime and very, very weird. But it's also very fun. Unfortunately unlike so many other games nowadays, it lacks online co-op, but it does have couch co-op. So if you know someone who could play with you it'll be a fun experience to share.

Oh and did I mention there's at least EIGHT endings to it? Yeah. EIGHT endings....almost all of them are weird too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a lot of people (and I'm actually one of them) think of this as a big-budget hard to miss game, but then again I know a lot of people that DID overlook it so I'm going to give a plug to Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Incredible game.

overlooked games:
vanquish, beautiful katamari/ katamari forever (360/ps3), earth defense force 2017.

and yeah I can vouch for Catherine if you like puzzle games or are open-minded.

good question though, i'm always looking out for something off the radar.
if you wanna try a new "hack'n'slash", you can always create a japanese account on your ps3 or 360 and download the demo for "Max Anarchy" (anarchy reigns), it's not available in the US (release date pushed back) but there is an option to change the language to English in the demo.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It's NOT a hack & slash, but I have just one word.

Catherine

It's seriously like one part puzzle game, one part anime and very, very weird. But it's also very fun. Unfortunately unlike so many other games nowadays, it lacks online co-op, but it does have couch co-op. So if you know someone who could play with you it'll be a fun experience to share.

Oh and did I mention there's at least EIGHT endings to it? Yeah. EIGHT endings....almost all of them are weird too.[/QUOTE]

I love the crap out of Catherine, but considering he asked for a hack 'n slash I think it might be a bit of a stretch... :/ lol

I thought Conan was a fun hack 'n slash button masher and I'm in the middle of my 2nd playthrough. It has unlockable combos which make you more powerful as the game progresses. Also, when you beat the game, you unlock cheats for your next playthrough. You can chops heads/limbs off and the game uses rag doll physics, so the bodies usually fall down with hilarious results. Good times!

I know it's $3.99 on Games On Demand right now... not sure how much it is at GameStop.

BTW: Ron Pearlman does the voice for Conan.

Overlooked: Deadly Premonition, condemned 1/2, Wanted:weapons of fate (its essentially the sequel to the movie), Saboteur

Hack n Slash: Splatterhouse , Dante's Inferno, Xmen Origin Wolverine,

I throw in Clive Barkers Jericho and Vampire Rain alot of people hated both those games but i liked em

Also i know alan wake got overlooked because RDR came out right after but thats a solid game

Thanks for all the suggestions. I played some of the ones that were mentioned like Castlevania and Xmen and they are great. I'll keep a lookout for some of the others when they go on sale. I demoed Catherine but did not enjoy it--I'm not into puzzle games. I picked up Alone in the Dark Inferno, Turok, and Rise of the Argonauts today for $12 at GameStop but that was mainly based on price, not expectation..

ROTA is halfway decent, but like many games nowadays it gets very repetitive very quickly.:cry:
[quote name='Zaku77']I love the crap out of Catherine, but considering he asked for a hack 'n slash I think it might be a bit of a stretch... :/ lol[/QUOTE]
Actually the title says hack n slash OR game for that matter. So I figured I could recommend anything really and have it qualify.;)

[quote name='tmly']Thanks for all the suggestions. I played some of the ones that were mentioned like Castlevania and Xmen and they are great. I'll keep a lookout for some of the others when they go on sale. I demoed Catherine but did not enjoy it--I'm not into puzzle games. I picked up Alone in the Dark Inferno, Turok, and Rise of the Argonauts today for $12 at GameStop but that was mainly based on price, not expectation..[/QUOTE]

Those are good choices overall. I beat ROTA. Some rough patches but really fun overall. Turok is a decent shooter and neck slicing dinos never got old. Alone in the Dark I played for a while and have been meaning to get back to. You may have inspired me. For $12, you can't go wrong.

spiderman: web of shadows is pretty fun, LOTR: War in North is ok, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, Alan Wake, Two Worlds 2 is decent, theres also Afrika if u can find it, also Perfect Dark Zero is pretty good. Alpha Protocol is only $8 and its fun if u love spy movies, Saw 2 is ok, Velvet Assassin is kinda cool if u like stealth games.

[quote name='Spyder187']Dark Kingdoms on the PS3 is actually a pretty decent hack n slash dungeon crawler imo.[/QUOTE]
For how much I liked games like Dark Kingdoms last gen, I just could NOT get into it for anything this gen. Oh and :rofl: at that spoilered pic on your sig.:lol:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']For how much I liked games like Dark Kingdoms last gen, I just could NOT get into it for anything this gen. Oh and :rofl: at that spoilered pic on your sig.:lol:[/QUOTE]

Really? I have to be honest I have enjoyed it so much that it is the only game I still have from the day i bought my first PS3 back in March of 2007. Still has the yellow 49.99 preowned GS sticker on the case lol.

God of War Collection, Vanquish, and Deus Ex are in the $17.99-$19.99 range at gamestop. great for b2g1 free! or substitute something else if you don't want one of these three.

Vanquish is a must-play from Platinum, who made Bayonetta. It is not a hack n slash but it takes the essence of what made their speedy fight mechanics exhilarating and transfers them to a third person shooter with a cool power slide. I think it is better than any of the Gears of War games. It even blew Cliffy B away. He still talks about it constantly.

[quote name='doctor lollypop']Overlooked: Deadly Premonition, condemned 1/2, Wanted:weapons of fate (its essentially the sequel to the movie), Saboteur

Hack n Slash: Splatterhouse , Dante's Inferno, Xmen Origin Wolverine,

I throw in Clive Barkers Jericho and Vampire Rain alot of people hated both those games but i liked em

Also i know alan wake got overlooked because RDR came out right after but thats a solid game[/QUOTE]

You liked Vampire Rain? o.o

bread's done
Back