Looking For A Good TV

wybo_a

Banned
My girlfriend and I are looking for a good television for a decent price. We have 600 saved up right now and are looking for LCD or Plasma that will mainly be used for gaming, watching sports, and movies. My girlfriend wants nothing smaller than a 40 in. What would be a good television in regards to Hz and price?

Maybe save up a little more and you can have a nice tv.

edit: I don't mean that in a sarcastic, snobby way what so ever. I'm just saying if you want a GOOD tv you might want to save up a little more. If you just want a 40 inch tv for $600 then go for it.

Just keeping checking Slickdeals.net every morning and every afternoon. I saw a 40" Toshiba REGZA 1080p on there last Friday for $526 shipped brand new from Frys. It only had 60Hz but you might be able to get a 120Hz for $600....like I said just keep checking SD. Don't waste your time checking here because by the time the deals get posted on this forum they'll be sold out in most cases ;)

What is with this douche with 3 rides, sorry bro but if you can afford 3 rides I think you can afford to pay retail for your games.

[quote name='freshzen']Just keeping checking Slickdeals.net every morning and every afternoon. I saw a 40" Toshiba REGZA 1080p on there last Friday for $526 shipped brand new from Frys. It only had 60Hz but you might be able to get a 120Hz for $600....like I said just keep checking SD. Don't waste your time checking here because by the time the deals get posted on this forum they'll be sold out in most cases ;)

What is with this douche with 3 rides, sorry bro but if you can afford 3 rides I think you can afford to pay retail for your games.[/QUOTE]

Another brave internet guy. :applause: Do I see a little green in your post? I don't care how much money a person has, a buck is a buck.

Why am I a douche? Cause I told him to save a little more so that he can get a better tv? If he can hold out on a new tv for a few more months, the Superbowl is in Feb., he can save up more and prices will drop, thus he will get a lot better tv for his money. Delayed gratification is the key to life.

[quote name='kulsechsky']Another brave internet guy. :applause: Do I see a little green in your post? I don't care how much money a person has, a buck is a buck.

Why am I a douche? Cause I told him to save a little more so that he can get a better tv? If he can hold out on a new tv for a few more months, the Superbowl is in Feb., he can save up more and prices will drop, thus he will get a lot better tv for his money. Delayed gratification is the key to life.[/QUOTE]
you're such a douche for trying to help the guy out with good advice. you should feel terrible about yourself and your life :roll:

[quote name='freshzen']What is with this douche with 3 rides, sorry bro but if you can afford 3 rides I think you can afford to pay retail for your games.[/QUOTE]

And I thought I was a dick on here sometimes.:roll: Why should they pay retail for their games? Just because they have 3 vehicles in their sig in their post(s)?

Maybe they view having more than one vehicle as a necessity and view gaming as what it is: a luxury. Let's face it, when it comes down to it, which is more important. Having a vehicle to go to work/school/whatever....or having a video game system and games for it?

Priorities man. Priorities.

My advice personally, if you want a true gaming TV, get a flat screen CRT TV, they have the best picture quality, deepest blacks, best viewing angles, they're the cheapest, and they have no lag on games whatsoever.

If you don't believe me look it up.

But if you really want a flat panel, get a Plasma, most LCDs are prone to input lag and have noticeable ghosting. Even if it's in the top tier of LCDs it'll have a little lag but you'll have to pay big bucks for those.

I think Panasonic has a cheap 42' plasma going for $600+. Plasma sets have deeper blacks and more accurate colors IMO. If you want something all around I'd suggest getting a Plasma.

I was also looking for a good HDTV for $600, and I bought this one at Wal-Mart.
RCA 40" Full HD 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV, L40FHD41. It is only 60 Hz, and the audio isn't quite as good as more expensive tvs but it is still a great tv for the money. You should go into the store and check it out. I love it!

Panasonic 42" S1 Plasma (1080P) will be on sale at Sears for $649.99 on November 15th. Apply for or use a Sears card for an additional 10% off bringing the cost down to $584.99.

[quote name='Be3fJerky']My advice personally, if you want a true gaming TV, get a flat screen CRT TV, they have the best picture quality, deepest blacks, best viewing angles, they're the cheapest, and they have no lag on games whatsoever.

If you don't believe me look it up.

But if you really want a flat panel, get a Plasma, most LCDs are prone to input lag and have noticeable ghosting. Even if it's in the top tier of LCDs it'll have a little lag but you'll have to pay big bucks for those.

I think Panasonic has a cheap 42' plasma going for $600+. Plasma sets have deeper blacks and more accurate colors IMO. If you want something all around I'd suggest getting a Plasma.[/QUOTE]

I agree I own a 50 inch Toshiba 1080p DLP and I love it. The picture quality in my eyes out performs that of LCD and Plasma for a fraction of the price. If you are not going to mount your TV on the wall then DLP is the way to go. Though it seems they are almost impossible to come across now.

Hey guys i also need help with a good tv mainly for gaming.
Looking for 35" min.
My friends told me go for a high contrast ratio 50k plus or even wait to get a tv with 1 mill contrast ratio.

BTW not sure what to look for in a tv besides the above mentioned. Price limit is 700-800 (with tax).

honestly you can take a look around and what's around right now or you can also check bfads.net for some of the black friday ads. there's a couple of them on there right now that have an ok price but take a look at some and see if they are cheaper now or then and check out the specs.

as for specs, 120hz is pretty slick but it makes a tv a little bit pricey but a standard HDTV will be at 60hz. It helps with motion blur and makes some scenes remarkably clear but I think it works best if you have something inputted with high quality like blu-ray.

Honestly if you want a good TV I'd go with Samsung, LG, Toshiba or a Vizio. All three seem to be pretty good in quality and recent improvements have made them a bit cheaper than they used to be.

this is the best price from a retailer I've found so far for a tv

Toshiba 40"

hope this helps.

bread's done
Back