Looking for a GPS unit

naiku

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
The only two companies that come to mind are tomtom and garmin. I am looking for a solid gps device at a cheap price.

Anyone have a favorite model? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bump!

Looking @ a nuvi 250W. It says "turn left ahead" not "turn left ahead on ____ street" .... is that a big deal? I think its about 50-60$ difference for a unit that does announce street names.

Anyone own a gps for the car chime in. >.

Hey i just got a Garmin nuvi 200 for free for signing up for a credit card and using it once. You can just do a google search for "free nuvi 200" to find the website. It's really cool, you can type in where you want to go or do a location search for stuff around your current position or in a different city. I mean you can't beat free! It took about a month or so total.

I really liked my Garmin Nuvi 200. They are discontinuing that model for the 205. I ended up giving it to my parents and picked up the Nuvi 205. It has updated software. The "W" (wide) models are purely a choice if you like/can afford it. The same with the voice feature. I get by quite well with the "turn left in" feature. Some people say that the text to speech "turn left at X street" is invaluable and great for reselling. It really depends on your budget. You're going to pay $50 more for a wide version, and $50 more for a text to speech. Either way, go to Best Buy, there is a coupon for $50 off any Garmin unit not on sale. that's how I got mine.

Go to Slickdeals.net and search for Garmin. You should come across a link.

Hope that helps!

I'm actually looking at this one
Nuvi 200W

It's a Garmin, currently I'm borrowing a much older Garmin model. The 200W isn't top of the line, and I'm sure there are better, but if it's anything like the one I currently use, I'll be happy.

You can spend whatever you want on a GPS device, and while the electronics snobs out there will probably tell you anything below $300 or whatever is crap, it all depends on what you need/want. The one I currently have doesn't announce street names, but I'm not sure I'd spend too much extra for that feature.

I could get lost in a paper sack with a flashlight....I get where I'm going with this. :)

try ToysRUs yeah that right all gps is on sale now and with 20 % extra off you can get Tom Tom Go 720 for about 220 ish which isn't bad at all

I recently picked up the Nuvi 360, and I've been enjoying it. It does have text to speech, which I've found to be more useful than I expected.

Before buying the 360, I was actually set on getting a Tom Tom. The 360 turned out to be significantly cheaper than a Tom Tom with a comparable feature set. Though I've never used one, I've read that Tom Tom's have a community map feature that let's you edit your map on the fly, or download edited maps from other people. That feature really intrigued me, and while I haven't tried very hard, the Garmin does not seem to be as customizable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I use a Garmin right now. A Garmin Nuvi 750 with a MSN account. I've fallen in love with this thing as it has helped me avoid various traffic jams, road work and less than ideal routes. This isn't a cheap unit, but it was a very good fit for my lifestyle and driving pattern.

I would highly suggest that you check out the links at the end of my post, especially GPSTracklog. That site has a really helpful discussion of which kinds of GPS units fit various price points and driving habits.

Regardless of what kind of unit you get, make sure it allows you to update Points of Interest, and that it comes with relatively recent maps. The 2009 Garmin maps, for example, are already available.

I can strongly recommend the following applications/websites to help you get more out of your GPS:

GMapToGPX

(Allows you to convert Google Maps routes to routes you can download to your GPS)

POI Factory

(Points of Interest such as tourist attractions, rest stops, RED LIGHT CAMERAS, etc.)

GPS Tracklog

^

Thanks a bunch ill be sure to look over those. the one thing im sure is a 4.3" screen. I might make a trip up to canada again so I think the 250W is better suited for me over the 200W. The Tom Tom Go 720 is dirt cheap @ TRU as nonggame said. Im gonna go out tonight or tomorrow and look at the models and see which will suit me best. I will be sure to ask about the updated map packs.

Alright so little quick update. I was going to pick up the 250W @ BB w/ that 50$ off rebate it would knock it down to 149. Long story short, coupon only valid in stores and they dont carry it, 250W is online only atm, CSR person couldn't order it online for me so whateves

I went to TRU and picked up the TomTom Go 720 as nonggame recommended. normally $499, down to $349, 20% off clearance, -$50 off selected item, -10% for signing up for a TRU mastercard...out the store @ $227.16. Big thanks to everyone. Time to play w/ a new toy :X

tomtom go 720 is solid, and a pretty good unit if you're willing to pay that much. my favorite feature is mapshare - you can implement changes and edits to the maps to make them more accurate. they recently just paired up with the map provider tele atlas, which should ensure that tomtom's have the most accurate maps.

bread's done
Back