Looking for a laptop

Stargun007

CAGiversary!
I'm in the market for a new laptop. However, it's really hard to find something I want. I want it to be fairly light (not the really small ones, but I don't want it to be more than 5 lbs or so). I don't need it to be a powerhouse, but I need XP Pro, G wireless capability (bluetooth would be nice with it), and at least 512 MB of RAM. And, of course, the cheaper the better. I really want to get a Dell Inspiron 600M, but I want to see the laptop before I buy it (so I can feel they keyboard and such and how heavy it is). Does anyone know something that can fit my needs?

Eh, best advice would be to hit up stores like BB, CC, and other computer stores. I know if I was going to drop that much money on something, I'd go to stores and check them out

Leper- I have been to a lot of em, but none of the ones in my area carry the smaller ones. A lot of them are the huge widescreen 8 lbs ones or the really expensive Sony or Toshiba small ones. I don't mind driving slightly farther to see it, but I want to be looking for a specific model and make sure they have it in stock.

[quote name='DMFunk']My Suggestion:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=313046&pfp=BROWSE

It's the one i got about a week ago, I love the thing with a passion.[/quote]

Thanks, but even though it's an awesome system, it's too big. I want something smaller and lighter, and cheaper.

The best deal I've found right now was about $1400 (after MIR) on a customized Dell Inspiron 600M. Does anyone have one of these and can tell me some stuff about it?

The school system I work for uses only Dell stuff for right now. We have a couple of the 8600 laptops in my office right now. They are about the same as the 600M only bigger (due to screen size). They do pretty well and get used for a wide variety of things (from regular computer stuff to presentations, projection, network management, etc).

I'm off until Monday so I can't really look at them in detail at the moment.

Before you buy anything, check out this article

http://www.powernotebooks.com/articles/Name_Brand.php3

and browse around on

http://www.notebookforums.com

I just spent the better part of three weeks shopping for my lappy and finally decided to go with a Compal CL56 (Hypersonic CX-5)

The build quality of Dell notebooks is just horrible IMO, and they stick a bunch of crap on your computer. Check out ABS PC, Hypersonic, and Sager.

And always try and get a good warranty or see if your laptop is covered under your insurance or by the credit card company you us to pay for it. Laptops tend to be subject to a little more abuse than desktops.

I got an avertec and I love it

4.3 pounds
latest one is an AMD 2000 m obile
wireless G built in and some other goodies too
3 USB 2.0 ports
30 gig drive
512 ram

Wow, Defender, that sounds perfect for me. Where did you get it? Is there a B&M location where I can see it? I'm just out of NYC, so I can get to anywhere you mention. I just need to convince my dad now to go for a non-brand name computer. I have no problem with it, but he's a little psycho when it comes to using any non-big name company hardware or software.

sometimes you can get them at CC or bestbuy if you want to find one to test..

if you want to come visit nyc you can see my store and play with mine

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/533596/103-9458778-8891014

Amazon has a good model for $949

Also sometimes you can get great deals at walmart.com for these but currently sold out.

I didnt mention these also have a cdrw/dvd combo drive and a 3 hour battery life...excellent for under 4 1/2 pounds.

I read some reviews, and a lot of people complained about the case being really cheap. Obviously, this won't help in convincing my dad. I think my options come down to either getting a Compaq nc4000 (from HP's Small Business section, through my dad's company) or a Sony V505. They're both $1600, but I may be able to get a discount on the HP. However, since now they're buying IBMs instead of HPs, I may not be able to. So basically, what I'm asking, would you guys recommend the Compaq (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/321957-64295-89315-321838-f34-321835.html) or the Sony (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...ers_V505Series&Dept=cpu_VAIONotebookComputers)?

OO I forgot about IBM's. If you can get a thinkpad, those are some of the best built machines on the market and will last you for quite a while. As far as Sony's go I think they're over priced. The compaq looks ok (for a compaq). Good idea going with the business branch though I believe your system will be a bit cleaner when you get it (no ISP's or that crap installed).

If you can, try to get a Intel pentium-m dothan processor. They come in 1.7, 1.8, and 2ghz models labeled 735, 745, and 755, respectively. They're made with a 90nm process and have 2mb of on chip l2 cache which makes them better than the older pentium-m Banjas processors. The dothan's are starting to show up in ultraportables.

What do you mean by a really small one that you don't want? The ones under 5 pounds are usually the ones with the 10-12" screens

I don't know if this is more than you wanted to spend but this sony is a pretty nice setup. Under 5lbs, 14" screen, 512mb ram, wifi, 6.5 hours battery. The weakest thing is the video, but you said it doesn't need to be a powerhouse.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=34-115-099&depa=3

redrobot- That Sony looks pretty cool, although it is kinda expensive. And I do want a small one (12" screen, less than 5 lb). I want to see what discount I can get on the HP. Also, I made a mistake when configuring the Sony earlier, so it will actually come out to $1800.

I'd go with the averatec. Get it off of newegg.com they have it for $1036 with free shipping and no tax. They are pretty nice and well worth the money.

I dont know about the case being cheap on a averatec but most people who see the one I have are jealous over the price and weight of it.

It looks great to me. For the price it's the BEST you can do. Thinkpads are the best laptops imho on the market....but do you want to PAY for the best? You seem to have wanted something more reasonable priced.

sorry to high jaclk the thread a little bit but what are are some opinions on hp notebooks. i am looking at the 17" screen one. i don't care about size but i know i want one with a 7,200 rpm hard drive and a 128mb video card. i can get pretty much everything i am looking for for about $1800 with this hp notebook which i much cheaper than everywhere else. any opinions would be great.

Jeff

My dad has an HP (the one I think I may get) and it works fine up until today. His older one also ran fine. I know he would gladly recommend any HP laptop.

Does anyone have any coupon codes or something I could use on Sony's site?

Have you looked at a Dell D600 from the small business division? I just ordered one a few days ago, 1.6 Pentium M Dothan, 512 RAM, 40 Gig 5400 RPM, and a 14.1 inch screen. It supposed to weigh a little less than 5 lbs, but it should come middle of next week so I don't know for sure. I was looking for the same type of thing as you and this seemed to be the best.

sorry to high jaclk the thread a little bit but what are are some opinions on hp notebooks. i am looking at the 17" screen one. i don't care about size but i know i want one with a 7,200 rpm hard drive and a 128mb video card. i can get pretty much everything i am looking for for about $1800 with this hp notebook which i much cheaper than everywhere else. any opinions would be great.

Jeff

My friend just bought the HP zd7000 17 incher and he loves he. Ganted he's only had it for a few days so he can't really attest to the reliability, but he thinks it's the best computer ever. Do you really need the 17" though. I thought I did until I realized that 17" laptops all weigh in at at least 9lbs and are humongous. You may want to step down to a 15.4" wide screen.

But if you still want the 17", the Sager 8790 is a powerhouse, and they also make some lower powered lappys with 17" screens. Check notebookforums.com for really good advice.

Well, it turns out that through my school I can get an IBM ThinkPad T42 for what I think is a fairly good price.

Specs:
Pentium M 1.7 GHz
512 MB RAM
40 GB Hard Drive
Intel 802.11 B/G wireless
CD-RW/DVD-ROM
14.1" TFT display
WinXP Pro

And it also comes with a 3 year warranty. All of that for only $1720. I think I'm gonna go for that, unless someone else has any reason that I shouldn't.

But it's for an IBM, which are more expensive than your average brand and are supposedly built better. I configured it at IBM's site and it came out to over $2500.

bread's done
Back