Looking for a large screen laptop (doesn't have to be a gaming machine.)

Gourd

CAGiversary!
Greetings.

After reading review of popular netbooks, I think I actually need something that might be unpopular: something that /isn't/ tiny and light weight.

I'm not looking for a gaming machine. I'll buy a gaming laptop if that is what is necessary to meet my needs, but I'm not /actively/ looking for a portable game unit.

My main uses for this machine would be: internet, running car diagnostic software, writing, music. The system has to be able to handle hefty non graphical work, such as The Wife's document management suites, databases, and searches. It should also handle having several applications open at the same time. And, of course, Gamefaqs reading while I'm playing console games :D

Weight: I'm not looking for something tiny that weighs less than fairy wings. It should be portable, but I'm not going to be taking it on long hikes. Up to 14 or so pounds (the equivalent of two organic chemistry books, or two calc books, or several car manuals) of weight /IS/ acceptable to me.

Screen: The screen must be fantastic, and should work with me when I'm reading large documents. Minimal scrolling to obtain information is key. The screen should also be large, as The Wife has vision problems. This is tied in importance with the quality of the keyboard.

Keyboard: Regrettably, I have large hands.

Battery Life: 3 or 4 hours or more would be nice.

Longevity: I'm looking for a laptop that I can hold on to for many years to come. I'm not very keen on treating computers as disposable fashion items. As such, I'd like to buy something reasonably powerful now, so that it can gracefully age.

Budget: I'm willing to spend up to about 1400 dollars on this machine. If it is something that I won't be replacing for a minimum of three years.

Any ideas?

I've got a Dell XPS M1730 with the huge ass screen that I love. The problem with it is the weight. It literally weighs over 10lbs, which is pretty damn heavy for a laptop.

My friend has the older brother of this Asus machine.

It's a beast, and It is a gaming laptop, but it comes with a sizable screen. He does take it around campus with him, but he's starting to complain from a small back-ache from lugging this and it's power brick back and forth classes for a year now. Also, battery life tanks when you do anything outside of light web-surfing of document typing.

On the Cheaper end of the spectrum, is this machine from Gateway that were widely recieved by a lot of review sites as a "budget-gaming-laptop" machine. It's fairly powerful, and could last around the neighborhood of 3hrs when playing back a DVD, which is good for a laptop with this size of screen. And, the money you could save for buying this could be spent buying another (bigger) battery.

bread's done
Back