Looking for a multi-purpose headset

80473Y3

CAG Veteran
Hey CAG,

I'm in the market for a Gaming headset that has to be able to do all of the following:

1)Interface with the PC and allow me to voice chat

2)Work with MP3 players, basically it has to have a 3.5mm jack or adapter

3)Detachable mic for when i use it in public as to not look like a total dork

4)Have excellent sound quality. i'm not a total audiophile, but i know a bad pair of headphones when i hear them

5)Great audio separation. i use headphones as my primary way to play PC games so that i can pinpoint enemy positions

*BONUS*) can work with an Xbox 360, because I lost the headset my 360 came with.

I would prefer an on-/around ear design. Noise cancellation is a plus, but not needed, and i have a fairly large budget ~$300

NOTE: I've already tried the Astro A30 Audio System, but I got a pair with a bad boom mic port. I tried getting it replaced, but Astro has horrible customer service and didn't seem to be in a hurry to get my headset fixed, so i sent it back. Great headset, horrible customer service. Would've been perfect if the boom mic attachment worked.

Should i give the A30s another go, or do they normally have bad boom mics?

Thanks in advance!

WARNING: NOT A BIG 'CAN-TYPE' HEADPHONES, BUT READ ON!!!

First product out the top of my skull: Razer Moray+

Now, it isn't a headset, rather it's a in-ear headphone with a built in mic. The mic is built in, but non-noticeable when wearing them in public, which could serve you. The kit allows you to play them with your portable gaming gear too, and it works as an iPhone headset, if you have one of those.

On the plus side, incredibly cheap at $59, and from a well known gaming company.

Now, there is the Tritton AX 180, but reviews about it on Newegg seems to be hit-n-miss, so buyer beware.

EDIT: Shit, how about I forget the Creative Fatal1ty Headset? Removable boom-mic and fairly cheap.

Also, don't forget the Plantronic Gamecomm headphones, and I think the boom-mic for this one swings up to the headband.

With the money you're saving from splurging, you could donate what you didn't spend to a worthy cause, like my rent fund.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're looking to stay on the cheap side, this combination CANT be beat. These headphones are raved about by many audio sites as the best bang for your buck, especially for you since you want something with a mic not attached and to work with MP3 players.

Sennheiser HD201 headphones -

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278017727&sr=8-13

Zalman clip-on mic -

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Microp...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278017773&sr=1-1

Now, if you want to spend more cash for some better headphones, these are excellent for music and great for games.

Sennheiser HD555 headphones -

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278017727&sr=8-1

regardless though, Sennheiser is one of the top brand when it comes to quality cans. I cant recommend them enough, and doing searches on their products will yield some very flattering remarks. Stay away from most stuff marked "gaming headset" as the sound quality on them is atrocious, especially for the usually large markup in price.

bread's done
Back