Looking for a pen

Scrubking

CAGiversary!
I am looking for a pen that has the consistancy of a sharpie marker but that doesn't bleed through paper as much. The more tip sizes it comes in the better. Thanks.

Uniball pens SUCK. Most of the ones I've used always skip and the ink delivery is inconsistent.

Consistency of a Sharpie without the bleed with various tip sizes? To be honest, that's a tough request. Are you looking for more along the lines of markers? You could try Prismacolor markers, but those bleed as bad, if not worse than, Sharpies.

As far as good, smooth, dark writing pens, I swear by the Pilot brand. Usually I use the Pilot Precise V5 needle points, but I know they make archival safe gel ink now, just haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

Uniball Vision? Are you mad? All they do is bleed and smudge. Uniball Jetstreams are where it's at. 1.0mm size only until next month when they bring out .7mm, though.

I need it for artwork so I need a small tip and a small marker size tip for filling in larger areas. The main thing is that it doesn't bleed through a lot and is relatively cheap. In other words inking pens, but not ones that require an ink well.

[quote name='Scrubking']I need it for artwork so I need a small tip and a small marker size tip for filling in larger areas. The main thing is that it doesn't bleed through a lot and is relatively cheap. In other words inking pens, but not ones that require an ink well.[/quote]

Yeah, I normally use Super Sharpies and fine point Sharpies for filling, and ultra-fine Sharpies for less detailed linework and outlines, but then again, I use a high grade/thick paper for artwork I intend to preserve/keep, so bleeding's not usually an issue. My avatars are usually done with an ultra-fine Sharpie on post-its or scrap paper since they're pretty much disposable.

For regular linework, pretty much anything in the Pilot series won't bleed on anything but the absolute worst paper, in my experience, and you can get ones with 0.5mm and 0.7mm tips. Needle points are best, don't bother with any of the v-balls.

For filling larger areas, this may sound weird, but if you're filling in large areas of black, buy a cheap bottle if india ink and use a q-tip. I'm serious. That's about the best and cheapest solution there is.

If you need to fill large areas of color, then I have to say invest in Prismacolor markers. They're expensive but worth it. They're dual tip, fine point on one end, chisel point on the other. However, like I said, on cheaper/thinner paper, they'll bleed clean through, so if it's a serious hobby, you may want to consider looking into better paper stock like Strathmore pads.

You might also want to check out the Staedler Pigment Liners (they come in a 4 pack of various sizes). They have the felt tip like a Sharpie, but don't give you crappy broken lines like a Micron. You should be able to find them in the drafting section of your local Office Depot/Staples. If you have access to a decent art supply store, check out the Faber-Castell Pitt pens. They also come in a 4 pack, but the nice thing is, one of the 4 is a brush pen. It actually comes pretty close to inking with a real brush if you take decent care of it.

...although, using a brush and a bottle of ink is a far far superior method for inking. :twisted:

I'm using pretty heavy paper - like in a hallmark card. A sharpie doesn't go all the way through, but Its pretty close.

I have microns for the thin stuff. It's the thicker to large lines and filling in I'm worried about.

I'm gonna try to find some deals online. If any of you know any good places to get your recommendations cheap I'd appreciate it.

prismacolors are real good i got 200+ markers with about 100 different colors but they do bleed bad and are expensive.

Try the Micron Pigma Line. They're made by a Japanese company named Sakura Color Products. I went through the same search, and this was the best I found. No bleed, and exactly the same consistency as a Sharpie. Here's a photo: Photo

Hope that helps you out.

bread's done
Back