Looking for a pink DS Lite for my girflriend

Koiji

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So, I got my girlfriend a pink DS Lite for her birthday back in January of '07 off ebay for her birthday (and paid way too much for it at the time, but it was what I had my heart set on getting for her). She's loved it ever since.

But, alas, tragedy has befallen it. Somehow, I guess, water was spilled on it (or maybe spilled under it?) and it no longer powers on. I took off the battery door and the battery has oxidation around it from the moisture.

So, her birthday is at the end of this month, and I was hoping to get it fixed or get her a new one. I looked up repair costs on Nintendo's website. It's $75 to repair this one, or $85 for a "factory-certified" one.
That's kinda expensive for a repair... =\ I was expecting ~$50.

Anyway, I went poking around online to see if I could find another pink one for her. Best I can see is ~$100 on ebay for a new one. Used isn't much better of a price. There's only one person in/near my city with a pink one on craigslist.

Long story short, I was wondering if anyone knew the best place I could find a pink DS Lite? I'd prefer new, but used is okay as long as it's in near/mint condition. Or should I just go with Nintendo? :) Thanks!

You're better off just getting a new one for the cheapest price. Fixing a DS Lite is not as trivial as some would like you to believe. And what's the point of paying for the fix, when it costs almost as much as a new one.

This may or may not help, but here goes. (Note: I don't own a DS, but this is a typical electrical repair tip)

If it was freshwater and not salt, it may work again if you clean out the battery compartment and replace the battery. Go to an electronics store (like RadioShack if you are in the US), and purchase a "contact" or electrical cleaner. You will also need a thin fine file or fine grit sandpaper.

Rinse down the oxidized areas with the cleaner and let it sit about 20 minutes to work. Spray on a little more and lightly sand the contacts inside.

Repeat this until the contacts are as clean as you can get them. If you can actually see the bare metal again, you did a good job cleaning.

Wipe out the excess cleaner and allow the unit to air dry a couple of days (open).

Install a new battery.

Hope this helps!

bread's done
Back