Looking for a solo-oriented MMO

SilverGriever

CAGiversary!
I know, the topic sounds retarded, but I'm looking for an MMO that doesn't focus on group play. I'm bored with WoW, played CoH/CoV too much, and Guild Wars didn't really pique my interest when I played the beta.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Space Cowboy was pretty easy going on solo, though like all MMOs, it turns into grinding real quick, but the PVP wars was fun as hell.

The game is instantly divided into two sides at all times, and when the call to war is sounded, you see just about every player head to the warzone, and a massive 2 sided air war is fought.

~HotShotX

Anarchy Online is the only mmo that I have played that makes it possible to solo till darn near the end (depending on your gear, class and stat set up). I go on and on about that game, but it really is the best solo mmo out there.

Sure the graphics are dated, but it has more depth and content then any other mmo out right now. The best part is that half of it is free and the amount of free content will keep you busy for a very long time. Max is level 220 for paying peeps but 200 for non paying.
Pvp is there if you want it, but you'll need to be very good at twinking since they have evolved it to an art form.

It may not look very noob freindly at first since there are so many things to get your head around, but once you understand the basics, you will see that the customization is incredible.
Just make sure you go omnitek and not clan. Clan lands are ugly, dirty, and have trash lying around. They are basically the trailer trash of the future. ;P

The community is pretty good about helping new guys and as long as you ask nicely in general chat they will help you with any questions or give you advice on anything in the game.

If your interested, in trying it, The only difference in the servers is that things on RK1 cost a lot more then RK2 since it has been around for longer. The german server is also an option . The game is still in english but german speakers play on it and the people who answer your gm calls will speak german. It is the least populated of all the servers.

Gunz Online. It's quite fun. It's free to play, with the option to buy things with real money. It's RPG style, like you gain levels and Bounty, and you buy new weapons with your Bounty. It was fun when I played two summers ago, and I'm sure it's only gotten more fun since then. Oh, and it's a third-person shooter.

http://gunz.ijji.com/

Granado Espada. You fully control a squad of three characters, but managing them isn't as hectic as it sounds thanks to the numerous commands you can give your characters, i.e. Ordering your musketeer to attack approaching enemies as your elementalist picks up items.

It's currently free to play, but its North American counterpart, Sword of the New World, will have a monthly fee.

http://ge.iahgames.com/

I played AO waay back in the day for 6mo it was pretty cool and I'm sure its better now. The killer back then was if you need cash/items you HAD to solo, if you wanted effective XP you HAD to group as -

You didnt get a boost to loot/drops in a group, best items in solo missions
You didnt get any less xp for kills being in a group than solo (!)

Not sure if that changed or not, also some goofiness like yeah twinking was an artform, get equipment and a class to help you squeeze on weapons/items way before you normally could have. Problem was classes like nanotech at least were behind the curve there as their check happened when they actually cast, so they wouldn't have those buffs or necessarily that equipment...

all in all cool game, I just didnt keep in on it after a 3 yr EQ phase :b lol
[1 year druid on blue server then team pvp came out 2 years enchanter there]

Due to hours at school I played FFXI solo all the time as a BST (beast tamer). There are always small parts for items or quests that are better done in groups but as far as lvling goes I was alone nearly all the time right to the end of the game.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']It was my understanding that FFXI is not a solo friendly game, as far as they go.[/QUOTE]

Definitely not, in fact, after around level 6 or so you HAVE to group up to kill anything - no group, no advancing - there is basacially no soloing to speak of past the noob levels.

And a solo-oriented MMO? Why don't you just play a single player RPG?

Yes, BST can solo, even though it's still tough and nowhere near the rate of soloing in WoW. Also Most BST party in a duo with another BST. And than you have that sub you have to level up. FFXI is in no way a solo friendly game, even if you are a BST.

Yeah, you can solo as BST, but you've gotta PT up to reach level 30 to be able to even unlock BST! I loved FFXI, but I had a great Linkshell and grinding wasn't a problem for me. Unfortunately it does get to be WAY too much of a timesink at high levels.

Solo MMO? Sounds like an oxymoron. Still, you could play WoW solo (I did)--you just won't be able to get any of the "good" gear. You'd need to play in pick up groups to tackle instances and for certain quests, too. Unless you like grinding.

Too bad you didn't like Guild Wars because that would've been my only other suggestion.

Might as well play Oblivion or some other single player RPG otherwise...

Of what I've played that I would consider easy soloing:
Guild Wars
Maple Story
Conquer Online
Granado Espada
Trickster
FlyFF
R.O.S.E Online (Korean Version is free)
Phantasy Earth Zero (Japanese version)
RYL (both of the RYL games have some of the best combat of any MMO I've played, its all action based, click = swing your sword, WASD movement, space for jumps, right click for special attacks.)
RYL 2

Age of Conan isn't bad. I would say that it probably has some of the best graphics of any MMO out there in addition to tons of updates they have made after its initial release. There are a few areas where you will not be able to solo, though. In those cases, it's easy to find a couple of people to grind through a certain area and then part ways once you're done. There are lots of guilds in the game as well, but I didn't join any and never felt that I was missing anything. Again, I'd recommend it wholeheartedly. If you're looking for a single-player friendly MMO with a much more "mature" feel than WoW, you should give it a try.

Be warned, though. It has some steep reqs so make sure your computer can handle it

Ragnarok Online is great fun, it can be played solo or in groups but the PVP does require a guild. Private servers are in large quantity.

bread's done
Back