Looking for a Wii Game for Father-In-Law

MCalvert1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
So my Father-in-law got a Wii earlier this year. I let him borrow Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Paper Mario, Resident Evil 4, and No More Heroes. He's played through Zelda, NMH, and RE4. He definitely liked Zelda the best, but he also seemed to really like Call of Duty 2 on the 360 when I brought that over a couple years ago.

So I need a recommendation. I don't pay that much attention to Wii releases, especially the multi-platform ones. Are there any other games on Wii even remotely similar to Zelda that are any good? And what is the Best FPS on Wii? Seems most people go with either Medal of Honor Heroes 2 or Call of Duty: World At War.

He's got dial up internet, so online multiplayer is meaningless.

I appreciate any advice on this one. Thanks!

MjC

Everyone compares Okami to Zelda. I played through it earlier this year and really enjoyed it, maybe even more than Zelda (which I haven't bothered to finish). I'm pretty sure you can find it for about $25 new. Not sure if you have played the PS2 version, but the Wii controls are pretty cool.

I've also heard that The Godfather is pretty good too, but haven't played that one.....

Definitely Okami. It is what happens when someone takes a game they love, clone it with just enough creativity to make it unique and different, and come out with a title that could very well be considered a better game than the original.

The Godfather isn't bad if you can get it for like $10, but it has so many problems I wouldn't buy it for someone else. Let them get it themselves, so they don't get angry at you.

[quote name='gaxur']
The Godfather isn't bad if you can get it for like $10, but it has so many problems I wouldn't buy it for someone else. Let them get it themselves, so they don't get angry at you.[/QUOTE]

LOL

I'm not so sure about Okami. It's true I haven't played it, but the gameplay videos and art style kind of turn me off. I was kind of hoping for something more along the lines of a Fable or Oblivion. But thanks for the opinions!

MjC

I say Metroid Prime 3, as it's a FPS and I'd say it's kind of similar to Legend of Zelda. Probably only in the sense of it being developed by Nintendo.

I say go for Metroid Prime 3

[quote name='Droenixjpn']I say Metroid Prime 3, as it's a FPS and I'd say it's kind of similar to Legend of Zelda. Probably only in the sense of it being developed by Nintendo.

I say go for Metroid Prime 3[/QUOTE]

That's actually not a terrible idea. I tried and didn't really like the first one, but I know it's very well liked overall. How closely is the story tied to the first 2? Like, if this is the first one he plays, will that make any difference?

I thought I read somewhere that next year 1 & 2 will be re-released as Wii titles with motion controls.

MjC

To tell you the truth, I've never played any Metroid Prime games. :p Although I would believe the story is tied to the first two, I don't know that for sure though.

You can play Prime 3 without playing any of the earlier games, but it's not really an FPS -- it's more of an adventure game with periodic combat. I loved the controls, but the save points were too far apart and I gave up after having to spend too much time backtracking to an earlier point to save the game.

If you want a Wii FPS, CoD:WaW seems to be the best option for now.

--R.J.

[quote name='MCalvert1']That's actually not a terrible idea. I tried and didn't really like the first one, but I know it's very well liked overall. How closely is the story tied to the first 2? Like, if this is the first one he plays, will that make any difference?

I thought I read somewhere that next year 1 & 2 will be re-released as Wii titles with motion controls.

MjC[/quote]

You heard right, Nintendo is rereleasing some of their games on Wii with Wii controls...

Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Chibi-Robo: Plug Into Adventure
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Pikmin
Pikmin 2

That's all I know about so far.

Medal of Honor Heroes is a great game for the Wii, but if he's played through Zelda, he could probably finish MOH in one sitting. The game is really, really short and not worth more than $30 because of it. Just FYI

I'd vote for Okami as well.

I started playing Okami this afternoon (picked it up on BF) and got about 2 hours into it. It definitely does have Zelda influences. So far, I actually like it better than Zelda. I really like the art style and the game seems to have more personality than the Zelda series.

If you are going to get him a FPS, Call of Duty: World at War is the one to get. For a Wii game, it looks DAMN good, actually surpassing CoD2 on the 360 which is impressive. The single player is fun as hell, although a little short. I finished it under ten hours, although it does have multiple difficulty settings. If he ever does upgrade his internet, it is also one of the best online games on the system.

bread's done
Back