Looking For A Wireless Router

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!
Feedback
89 (100%)
OK, here's my situation. I live in a 620sq ft apartment with 3 other people. It's the smallest apartment ever. My room is less than 15 ft from my entertainment system where my router is. Yet SOMEHOW, I manage to not get a connection above a few kb/s in my room. Same with my room mates. I have tried all 3 of my routers. 1 D-Link and 2 Netgear, all wireless G. All give the same shitty speed. And right now, the D-Link loses the connection every 10 minutes.

So, since I am sick of this BS, I'm looking for a router. I want a GOOD router. I don't want a cheap one, but I don't need professional grade, so anything $150 or below would be cool. All I want it to do is to be able to put out a decent signal throughout my very tiny apartment. Any other features like USB ports would just be an added bonus.

So if anybody has any decent routers and/or brands of routers they recommend, please, let me know. I'm sick of shitty WiFi speeds. :(

Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming that you have tried testing your internet speed whilst plugged in using a wire? Because if you haven't it sounds a lot more likely that it's your ISP.

As for routers I don't really have any suggestions apart from to never buy a Belkin.

Yes, when my computer is plugged in directly to the modem, I get about 20Mb/s. Also, I did some intense research, and I finally went with another D-Link that I found on Newegg. Wireless N, 2.4Ghz, 3 external antennas and a USB port. I'm hoping I get some decent speeds with this. I'll let you guys know how it goes. :/

If you're in a small apartment, and there are lots of others around you, it's likely some of your issues were caused by overlapping channels that were causing interference on your signal. Your best bet, when you get the new router, will be to get software that will scan the wifi networks and tell you what channels are being used, and try to find an open one. The software I use is called InSSIDer I believe (not on my laptop at the moment, so I can't check).

CDMA/WCDMA/HSPA/TD-HSPA/EVDO 3G Mobile Broadband Modem + 2.4GHz 802.11n/g/b Wireless Router
Main Feature:

Supports CDMA, WCDMA, HSPA, TD-HSPA and EVDO USB network cards
Operation range: 100 meters (indoor); 300 meters (outdoor)
No driver required
Speed rate up to 150Mbps
Frequency: 2.4~2.4835 GHz
Multi-function router - access the Internet through Ethernet or 3G network (External 3G card is required)
Interface: USB 2.0 Host * 1, WAN * 1, LAN * 4, DC in * 1 and external antenna interface * 1
4-port switch - allow several PCs to access the LAN
Network standard: IEEE802.11b/g/n

Specification:

weight:720g
size:17.2 cm x 17.2 cm x 3.2 cm

bread's done
Back