Looking for advice/info on Gamecube disc read errors

Yeahman

CAGiversary!
Last night I got the evil "The disc could not be read" message. I tried a couple of other games with the same results. The game will play fine for anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour before the message suddenly comes up.

I've tried cleaning the lense, but no luck.

What's most likely the problem? Is it something that might be potentially repaired, or am I likely better off getting a new one?

The Nintendo web site mentions a free pass/fail test at authorized reoair centers. Does anyone know what that entails? Will they be able to identify the problem without taking apart the Cube?

I don't know how common these errors are. It's a launch day Cube if that helps.

Thanks for any info.

there's a way you can fix it. it's pretty simple, the only hard part is getting the cube open. You have to adjust some little laser thingy, i think it's like what you do to fix a ps2 with dre's although i've never done that. It took me a long time to find a tutorial on the net but keep looking you should be able to find it. i'll post a link if i can find the site.

Technical problems are not common among Nintendo products, and Nintendo knows this. Give them a call, and I'm pretty sure they'll fix it for free.

Mine statred doing that when my fan got all dusty. Blew out the dust and it worked fine. It's a lunch model by the way. Nintendo Products are durable as hell.

go with NOA's customer service first.

there's a DIY on gamefaqs.com under GameCube Hardware. under DRE....., it does involve opening it up.

If you are still under warranty (1 yr), call Nintendo and they can set up a free warranty repair. You can also call and they will give you the phone/address of a service center where you can check your system, but if you are getting an error message on all your games, it is most likely in need of repair.
1-800-255-3700

I have the same problem in a way, but it just doesn't recognize a CD is there (goes to the GC settings menu).

However, when I press down hard on the CD, it does read after a couple tries.

bread's done
Back