Looking for advice on a customer claiming not receiving a package...

Starky27

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Had an eBay auction end about 2 weeks ago. Customer ordered insurance on the package. I shipped the next day, but either due to the cashier or my own ignorance, insurance/tracking was not applied to the package. Didn't notice it til I was at home going through my receipts and stamps. I emailed the customer immediately, explained the snafu and refunded the insurance and half the shipping cost . Now the customer is stating that the item was never received. Thing is, the package was only traveling about 25 miles across town. I've spoken to the carrier to the address and he says he recalls delivering a similar package from my area to his address, but outside of that I don't know if the package was recieved, lost or what. It was shipped Priority but it should've been there the next day. Any advice? Right now I'm hedging on waiting til the end of the week and if still no package, just biting the bullet and refunding the whole amount...

I don't think you should've called and told him about the insurance thing. You should've waited until he received the package before you refunded his money. If he is a scammer, he can claim he never got it, becuase he knows you bought no insurance/tracking. And if it is 25 miles away, why didn't you just take it over there?

Dang...I wonder if he used your "forgot to insure it" as a way to come up with a "never delivered" story. Since the is no proof though...I will have to say that you might have to end up refunding the money. Sorry to hear that happened.

[quote name='Rig']I don't think you should've called and told him about the insurance thing. You should've waited until he received the package before you refunded his money. If he is a scammer, he can claim he never got it, becuase he knows you bought no insurance/tracking. And if it is 25 miles away, why didn't you just take it over there?[/quote]

drive 25 miles instead of mailing it for $1.52 or so?!

if he paid via paypal , than he can go through the refund process and without a Delivery COnfirmation # you will lose the case. He will get his money back.

Yeah, I think someone tried doing that to me on Half.com before. I learned my lesson and ALWAYS get delivery confirmation. I'm sure a lot of people try to scam others if they see no confirmation.

You don't have to refund his money. Once you send it, you can't control whether it gets to him or not. The post office is to blaim for not sticking the sticker on, so I would tell the buyer to take it up with them. You don't have to do anything. If he makes a claim on Paypal, when they contact you, tell them that you sent it but the post office made a mistake and prob lost it too. It's not your fault.

Refund the money- you've learned a lesson that is valuable- make sure that everything is set up right. Yes, you might not like the customer, but you have to take the long view- not the "I got screwed and need justice". It's better to have good feedback.

I once had a similar situation and I made a bluff. I told the person that I had a friend that worked USPS and that they could look into in their system even though I didn't have DC. The moron bought it hook line and sinker and I never heard from him again

[quote name='Starky27'] I've spoken to the carrier to the address and he says he recalls delivering a similar package from my area to his address,[/quote]
These mail carriers have too much time on their hands if they have time to check out what area of the world the packages they deliver are coming from.

Even if the buyer ask for no insurance,

alway always ask put: Delivery COnfirmation #

it's the only way to protect us seller, cause you don't know who your dealing with onlline.

I don't know what to say, it's your fault, learn from your mistake....

someone said long time ago on a different place that even if you dont get insurance there is a way to track the item. go down to your local post office and ask to see if there is anything you can do

[quote name='DangerDave']You don't have to refund his money. Once you send it, you can't control whether it gets to him or not. The post office is to blaim for not sticking the sticker on, so I would tell the buyer to take it up with them. You don't have to do anything. If he makes a claim on Paypal, when they contact you, tell them that you sent it but the post office made a mistake and prob lost it too. It's not your fault.[/quote]

it is not his fault but paypal would still reverse the charge if the buyer complains.

Delivery confirmation is not always the answer. That only proves it was delivered - it could still be to the "wrong" address or stolen at the mailbox.

I had this happen to me at it is a pain in the ass. I think the buyer was scamming, but they did purchase insurance.

The only way to really prove a package was delivered to the right person is to get signature confirmation. Some people just suck! :)

[quote name='DangerDave']You don't have to refund his money. Once you send it, you can't control whether it gets to him or not. The post office is to blaim for not sticking the sticker on, so I would tell the buyer to take it up with them. You don't have to do anything. If he makes a claim on Paypal, when they contact you, tell them that you sent it but the post office made a mistake and prob lost it too. It's not your fault.[/quote]

I don't think that will prevent Paypal from taking your money. Paypal is going to see that you have no proof that you sent it and refund the buyer his money. I think that's pretty much how Paypal always works, regardless of whose fault it is. Paypal certainly isn't fair all the time. I think the OP will eventually have to refund, or the buyer will have Paypal do a chargeback, causing him to lose money as well as possibly have a black mark on his record (I think they do that).

[quote name='eebuckeye']Delivery confirmation is not always the answer. That only proves it was delivered - it could still be to the "wrong" address or stolen at the mailbox.
[/quote]

You're right; DC doesn't necessarily prove your item got to your buyer... but the thing is delivery confirmation is usually enough for Paypal to get off your back, in terms of proof of delivery.

Edited to add: OP, I also think you should refund just on the fact that he did pay for insurance and you forgot it. I totally see why you would be suspicious (I would be too), but you did make a mistake not giving insurance and doing DC. I would chalk this up as just learning from a mistake :\ Even if the guy is scamming you, you have no way to prove that. The only way you can get out of giving a refund is if the guy is too lazy to go through the chargeback process.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy'][quote name='DangerDave']You don't have to refund his money. Once you send it, you can't control whether it gets to him or not. The post office is to blaim for not sticking the sticker on, so I would tell the buyer to take it up with them. You don't have to do anything. If he makes a claim on Paypal, when they contact you, tell them that you sent it but the post office made a mistake and prob lost it too. It's not your fault.[/quote]

I don't think that will prevent Paypal from taking your money. Paypal is going to see that you have no proof that you sent it and refund the buyer his money. I think that's pretty much how Paypal always works, regardless of whose fault it is. Paypal certainly isn't fair all the time. I think the OP will eventually have to refund, or the buyer will have Paypal do a chargeback, causing him to lose money as well as possibly have a black mark on his record (I think they do that).

[quote name='eebuckeye']Delivery confirmation is not always the answer. That only proves it was delivered - it could still be to the "wrong" address or stolen at the mailbox.
[/quote]

You're right; DC doesn't necessarily prove your item got to your buyer... but the thing is delivery confirmation is usually enough for Paypal to get off your back, in terms of proof of delivery.[/quote]

Yeah, all I have is a receipt saying I paid for a Priority package to be shipped. Doesn't say where and to whom. I think I'll just send a last email saying the postal carrier said it was delivered, see if anything happens from that and if not take the hit and remember to get the delivery confirmation. If the damn PO didn't have to hassle me all the time about signing my damn CC all the time. Please See ID works for everyone else...

i don't buy they buyer's story. problem is that if you don't give him his money, chances are high that he will be knocking on your door one day. how much money are we talking here?

[quote name='jlarlee']I once had a similar situation and I made a bluff. I told the person that I had a friend that worked USPS and that they could look into in their system even though I didn't have DC. The moron bought it hook line and sinker and I never heard from him again[/quote]

I think you're going to end up chalking this up as a "learning experience" (man, I shaqing feel your pain...), BUT, maybe you can try jlarlee's tactic first. Maybe add something about USPS people keeping track of the # of packages they delivered per day/week for some kind of local post office contest? Can't hurt.

I had this happen to me at it is a pain in the ass. I think the buyer was scamming, but they did purchase insurance.

The only way to really prove a package was delivered to the right person is to get signature confirmation. Some people just suck! :)[/quote]
DC is enough to prove that you mailed it, and that it was recieved. If it was misdelivered/stolen, thats not your fault. You give the buyer the tracking info, and its their responsibility to find it.

[quote name='Starky27'][quote name='judyjudyjudy'][quote name='DangerDave']You don't have to refund his money. Once you send it, you can't control whether it gets to him or not. The post office is to blaim for not sticking the sticker on, so I would tell the buyer to take it up with them. You don't have to do anything. If he makes a claim on Paypal, when they contact you, tell them that you sent it but the post office made a mistake and prob lost it too. It's not your fault.[/quote]

[/quote]

You're right; DC doesn't necessarily prove your item got to your buyer... but the thing is delivery confirmation is usually enough for Paypal to get off your back, in terms of proof of delivery.[/quote]

Yeah, all I have is a receipt saying I paid for a Priority package to be shipped. Doesn't say where and to whom. I think I'll just send a last email saying the postal carrier said it was delivered, see if anything happens from that and if not take the hit and remember to get the delivery confirmation. If the damn PO didn't have to hassle me all the time about signing my damn CC all the time. Please See ID works for everyone else...[/quote]

Odd my post office shows the Zip code the package was mailed to in my receipt

[quote name='Blustrk98'][quote name='jlarlee']I once had a similar situation and I made a bluff. I told the person that I had a friend that worked USPS and that they could look into in their system even though I didn't have DC. The moron bought it hook line and sinker and I never heard from him again[/quote]

I think you're going to end up chalking this up as a "learning experience" (man, I shaqing feel your pain...), BUT, maybe you can try jlarlee's tactic first. Maybe add something about USPS people keeping track of the # of packages they delivered per day/week for some kind of local post office contest? Can't hurt.[/quote]

A true lie works because its simple. The scammer could easily call the post office and see if that contest was going on.

[quote name='maxflight'][quote name='Rig']I don't think you should've called and told him about the insurance thing. You should've waited until he received the package before you refunded his money. If he is a scammer, he can claim he never got it, becuase he knows you bought no insurance/tracking. And if it is 25 miles away, why didn't you just take it over there?[/quote]

drive 25 miles instead of mailing it for $1.52 or so?![/quote]

Depending on what the item was worth, then yes, I would most certainly deliver it myself. I've had my share of problems with the USPS, so if I really cared about the item, I would take the extra time and money to make sure it got there...

Of course, I always get delivery confirmation, so I guess I wouldn't be in this situation.

ignore everything that you read so far. the key thing is that you used priority and that itcludes its own tracking, of sorts. the PO will be able to track down your package, if you still have his address, take that to the PO. they will get to the bottom of it.

the delivery confirmation is always a good idea, but since you used priority, it includes its own limited form of delivery confirmation

[quote name='jlarlee'][quote name='Starky27'][quote name='judyjudyjudy'][quote name='DangerDave']You don't have to refund his money. Once you send it, you can't control whether it gets to him or not. The post office is to blaim for not sticking the sticker on, so I would tell the buyer to take it up with them. You don't have to do anything. If he makes a claim on Paypal, when they contact you, tell them that you sent it but the post office made a mistake and prob lost it too. It's not your fault.[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, all I have is a receipt saying I paid for a Priority package to be shipped. Doesn't say where and to whom. I think I'll just send a last email saying the postal carrier said it was delivered, see if anything happens from that and if not take the hit and remember to get the delivery confirmation. If the damn PO didn't have to hassle me all the time about signing my damn CC all the time. Please See ID works for everyone else...[/quote]

Odd my post office shows the Zip code the package was mailed to in my receipt[/quote]

USPS always show the zip on the receipt

[quote name='dracula']ignore everything that you read so far. the key thing is that you used priority and that itcludes its own tracking, of sorts. the PO will be able to track down your package, if you still have his address, take that to the PO. they will get to the bottom of it.

the delivery confirmation is always a good idea, but since you used priority, it includes its own limited form of delivery confirmation[/quote]

I had no idea that priority had its own tracking

IMO if you mail without DC you are in essence trusting the buyer to be honest about receiving the package or not. Sucks that it was a mix up, but the result is the same.

See if the post office can do anything about trying to track it down. I have no idea what, if anything, they can do.

I'd also want to give it at least 3 weeks, in case it got misdirected somehow, before issuing a refund. If the guy goes ape about having to wait more than a week say something like "How come you are so sure it's not just delayed in the mail somehow?"

And yes the buyer would probably win a PayPal chargeback. Even if dracula is correct and the PO can get the real story, PayPal requires you have an ONLINE verifiable number which shows delivery. Now I think in reality most any scammer will back down if you can get proof from the USPS that it was actually delivered. I mean, you'd have a really nice mail fraud case there. Bottom line, you should call up or drive over to your post office and see if they can do any kind of trace/search on your package.

a friend of mine had this problem as well. He emailed the guy back stating he will start an "investigation (also known as filing a rifling report which is a form you fill out for missing stuff)" to see if the package can be found since POSTAL THEFT IS A FELONY. It worked- next day the guy said never mind since he got it! LOL!

On that note I always put on my auction " I pack item well and am not responsible for lost or damaged mail since I give you the option of insurance".

[quote name='Purkeynator']On that note I always put on my auction " I pack item well and am not responsible for lost or damaged mail since I give you the option of insurance".[/quote]

Buyer paid for insurance.

Wait a week or two before refunding the money. It's possible that its just backed up somewhere or the post office misplaced it or sent it to the wrong truck and maybe it will sort itself out. You wouldn't want to give a refund only to have the package get to him later that week or something.

Some of you guys are saying things like "It's your fault, give him his money." Do you guys have any eBay experience at all? I have over 600 feedback, if someone was to tell me that the item must have gotten lost, I would tell them something along the lines of "Once I send the item, it is not my responsibility. Theres no way I can make sure all items don't get lost." As a seller all you have to do is ship it to the correct address.

[quote name='DangerDave']Some of you guys are saying things like "It's your fault, give him his money." Do you guys have any eBay experience at all? I have over 600 feedback, if someone was to tell me that the item must have gotten lost, I would tell them something along the lines of "Once I send the item, it is not my responsibility. Theres no way I can make sure all items don't get lost." As a seller all you have to do is ship it to the correct address.[/quote]

We're not saying he can't do that. We're just saying the guy's probably going to take his money when files a chargeback with Paypal. Saying "it's not my responsibility" won't stop Paypal.

[quote name='DangerDave']Some of you guys are saying things like "It's your fault, give him his money." Do you guys have any eBay experience at all? I have over 600 feedback[/quote]

The company I work for (and created the eBay prescence for) is at 8,000 unique postive feedback, with 25,000 total positive feedback, 6 negatives and a rating of 99.9%

As far as PayPal is concerned (which you need to use if you want people to actually bid) You are responsible for delivery of the item. You need an online tracking number so they can look it up if there is a dispute. Delivery Confirmation is like 45 cents per package. As a seller you cannot afford not to use it.

We occasionally get people who claim they never received the package, but when I tell them the date and time it was delivered there is nothing they can do.

I've also had 3 people in the past year claim the package never arrived, but it was delivered and probably stolen. One lady said she would contact Paypal and do a chargeback. I simply explained to her that we can prove the package was delivered, we cannot control people stealing it from your front porch. The package is considered Successfully Delivered in the eyes of the USPS and PayPal.

So to answer the original question, you will most likely be refunding the person's money.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy'][quote name='DangerDave']Some of you guys are saying things like "It's your fault, give him his money." Do you guys have any eBay experience at all? I have over 600 feedback, if someone was to tell me that the item must have gotten lost, I would tell them something along the lines of "Once I send the item, it is not my responsibility. Theres no way I can make sure all items don't get lost." As a seller all you have to do is ship it to the correct address.[/quote]

We're not saying he can't do that. We're just saying the guy's probably going to take his money when files a chargeback with Paypal. Saying "it's not my responsibility" won't stop Paypal.[/quote]

judyjudyjudy, he can tell paypal, "I sent it, heres a scan of the receipt, I am not responsible for the lost item, please tell the buyer to contact the post office and fill out a missing package claim."

[quote name='Haggar'][quote name='DangerDave']Some of you guys are saying things like "It's your fault, give him his money." Do you guys have any eBay experience at all? I have over 600 feedback[/quote]

The company I work for (and created the eBay prescence for) is at 8,000 unique postive feedback, with 25,000 total positive feedback, 6 negatives and a rating of 99.9%

As far as PayPal is concerned (which you need to use if you want people to actually bid) You are responsible for delivery of the item. You need an online tracking number so they can look it up if there is a dispute. Delivery Confirmation is like 45 cents per package. As a seller you cannot afford not to use it.

We occasionally get people who claim they never received the package, but when I tell them the date and time it was delivered there is nothing they can do.

I've also had 3 people in the past year claim the package never arrived, but it was delivered and probably stolen. One lady said she would contact Paypal and do a chargeback. I simply explained to her that we can prove the package was delivered, we cannot control people stealing it from your front porch. The package is considered Successfully Delivered in the eyes of the USPS and PayPal.

So to answer the original question, you will most likely be refunding the person's money.[/quote]

25,000 feedbacks, how many of them are from your auctions?

Where in paypal does it say that you are responsible for the delivery of the item? Where does it say you need a tracking number to win the dispute?

Using delivery confirmation is worth the 45 or so cents and using paypal is a must if you want to get top dollar for your auctions, I'm not debating that.

One more thing, he did ship it with delivery confirmation and his receipt will most likely show that. The fact that the post office screwed up makes them all the more responsible for the loss.

[quote name='DangerDave']judyjudyjudy, he can tell paypal, "I sent it, heres a scan of the receipt, I am not responsible for the lost item, please tell the buyer to contact the post office and fill out a missing package claim."[/quote]

Incorrect. Paypal will ask for an online tracking number. That's all they will ask for. Nothing else. They say right on their website an online trackable source is the only method.

Paypal will not tell the buyer to fill out a missing package claim (LOL). They're just take the money out of the seller's account when he/she can't produce an online tracking number.

[quote name='DangerDave'][quote name='Haggar'][quote name='DangerDave']Some of you guys are saying things like "It's your fault, give him his money." Do you guys have any eBay experience at all? I have over 600 feedback[/quote]

So to answer the original question, you will most likely be refunding the person's money.[/quote]

25,000 feedbacks, how many of them are from your auctions?

Where in paypal does it say that you are responsible for the delivery of the item? Where does it say you need a tracking number to win the dispute?

Using delivery confirmation is worth the 45 or so cents and using paypal is a must if you want to get top dollar for your auctions, I'm not debating that.

One more thing, he did ship it with delivery confirmation and his receipt will most likely show that. The fact that the post office screwed up makes them all the more responsible for the loss.[/quote]

OP states in his OP that he thinks he asked for insurance and DC, but it was not actually purchased (therefore not on the receipt.)

Wow, 3+ people are offering up the right information and you continue to insist your incorrect info is right.

Sending PayPal a scan of your receipt showing you mailed the item is not going to cut it. Sorry.

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...c=1147&unique_id=2128&source_page=_home&flow=

From that page you must, "Retain reasonable proof of postage that can be tracked online"

[quote name='DangerDave']25,000 feedbacks, how many of them are from your auctions?

One more thing, he did ship it with delivery confirmation and his receipt will most likely show that. The fact that the post office screwed up makes them all the more responsible for the loss.[/quote]

All 25,000+ feedbacks are from my auctions. Unique feedbacks count towards your eBay rating. Repeat feedbacks count towards your total feedback. (If someone leaves you 3 individual Positive Feedbacks, only one gets added to your total eBay rating, but all 3 get added to your total feedback). So in other words I get lots of repeat customers.

If you read the Paypal website somewhere in the chargeback section it tells you what you need to do to protect yourself from chargebacks. They say that an online trackable number that confirms delivery is the only acceptable method for them. Delivery Confirmation is acceptable to them, and the cheapest option.

The "Responsible For Delivery" part is just common sense. Paypal always sides with the buyer. Read some Paypal horror stories (Google search). If someone contacts Paypal and says they didn't get an item, and the seller can't prove delivery, Paypal will just return the buyer's money from the seller's account. You agreed to that when you signed up for Paypal.

And as for how he shipped it, I was under the impression that the buyer paid for insurance, the seller just forgot to get it at the Post Office. Whether the post office screwed up or he did it doesn't matter. The package does not have a tracking number. (If he has a Delivery Confirmation number on his receipt then he is fine) but since I don't remember him mentioning it I still say the seller will be issuing a refund.

A painful lesson, always get a Delivery Confirmation.

Haggar - Some what OT, but have you ever had a buyer go around PayPal and just do a credit card chargeback on you?

I've heard in those cases PayPal simply takes your money regardless of whether or not you can prove it was delivered.

[quote name='wubb']Haggar - Some what OT, but have you ever had a buyer go around PayPal and just do a credit card chargeback on you?

I've heard in those cases PayPal simply takes your money regardless of whether or not you can prove it was delivered.[/quote]

We've never experienced that, but I assume if you follow PayPal's suggestions (trackable package) it would get straightened out.

We've had normal chargebacks before (outside of PayPal- usually someone "doesn't remember" ordering something from us). They're annoying and take lots of faxing. The CC companies probably think you'll eventually get tired and give up proving the person paid for an item. But I'm tenacious. ;)

If the OP transfers all his money into his bank acount, does this prevent paypal from taking it back? Can PP withdraw money from you bank account via your paypal account without your permission?

[quote name='gaelan']If the OP transfers all his money into his bank acount, does this prevent paypal from taking it back? Can PP withdraw money from you bank account via your paypal account without your permission?[/quote]

I think they can.

That or your account goes into a negative balance and if you stop using that Paypal account (so it has a permanenet negative balance), supposedly they will send a collection agency after you.

Haggar and Wubb, you're right if the situation is that he didn't actually buy delivery confirmation. My argument is that if he purchased delivery confirmation, it would say that on his receipt. He could tell paypal the situation and send them a copy of the receipt showing that he paid for it, even though he doesn't have a number. Paypal would understand that the fault lies with the worker that forgot the dc sticker on the box.

Not true. True everything we mail via the POS system is in the computer in a way but not in any trackable way. Just that a package was mailed from zip code x to zip code y. Individual addresses are NEVER entered into the computer in any way. This system is only used so they can determine what % of packages have been delivered on time for USPS records, not for tracking purposes.

I'd say the OP is pretty screwed at this point and it's sad because he did the right thing by refunding the guy's money for insurance before he found out. Using the tracking thing as a bluff might work. I've used it myself saying I would look something up at work in the postal computer system but if the guy doesn't buy it there is not much to do but refund the money.

[quote name='dracula']ignore everything that you read so far. the key thing is that you used priority and that itcludes its own tracking, of sorts. the PO will be able to track down your package, if you still have his address, take that to the PO. they will get to the bottom of it.

the delivery confirmation is always a good idea, but since you used priority, it includes its own limited form of delivery confirmation[/quote]

[quote name='DangerDave']Haggar and Wubb, you're right if the situation is that he didn't actually buy delivery confirmation. My argument is that if he purchased delivery confirmation, it would say that on his receipt. He could tell paypal the situation and send them a copy of the receipt showing that he paid for it, even though he doesn't have a number. Paypal would understand that the fault lies with the worker that forgot the dc sticker on the box.[/quote]

OP said in both of his posts that he didn't purchase any sort of tracking or DC... which is why everyone is saying Paypal will probably take his money and that he should have used DC. And showing Paypal the receipt to prove that he bought DC makes no sense. If he bought DC, he would just give Paypal want they want: the DC number. If your point is that he might have lost the DC number, the DC number is printed on the receipt. (And if the USPS worker forgot the label, he would be able to look it up and see it was never scanned and raise hell with USPS.)

Ok, here's a question. Say you get DC and the item you shipped gets mysteriously lost enroute somewhere. As the seller, even if you get DC you still have to refund even though it is the post office's fault! Only if you obtained insurance would the post office refund the seller, if i understand correctly. So, am i correct to assume that DC does squat diddly for lost packages that can never be found????? So, DC only proves your package was delivered. Big deal- even if it was stolen off the porch an adamant buyer can still get his money back ==> The buyer can still override paypal's policy and do a chargeback if they paid via credit card. The buyer never loses it seems. To me it sounds like DC is a total waste of money. For example, if you ship out 100 games and pay fifty cents for DC for each game, you are spending an extra fifty bucks. And if you lose one game per 100 shipments you might be out ten or twenty bucks. From a profit standpoint it seems like you are losing money to cover yourself from DC which does diddly if the package is lost or someone files a chargeback on the credit card anyway (plus the extra ten dollar fee you will have to pay if you don't refund in time). Does this make sense or am I missing something here?

bread's done
Back