Looking for advice on moving to and living in NYC *update*

varsitygamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
[quote name='me']So my current career choice is demanding that I relocate to the city. I've spoken to a few friends who all suggest Brooklyn, and they've given me a few pointers here and there about how to find a place.

I'm moving down there with one friend. We both graduated from college in May, and neither one of us is too well off financially. Think middle middle class. We're prepared to split everything evenly, and looking for a 2 BR apt. We're really not averse to living somewhere other than Brooklyn so long as it's a decent neighborhood and a very quick train into Manhattan (I was told the L, N, or Q lines would take me from Brooklyn into the city pretty quickly, so we were thinking near one of those).

Yes, it's going to be crazy expensive. I understand that, and while I'm not too keen on it, I figure living in the city and making very little money after rent/food will pay off in the long run.

However, I'd still love any pointers you guys could give on actually finding a place/living in the city. I've never apartment shopped before (anywhere), so this ought to be an experience. People who live in the city, I'd love to hear from you specifically.[/quote]

Well, we found a great place in Brooklyn in East Williamsburg right near the Morgan Ave. L train, just like we were hoping. We're moving in Saturday. Just thought I'd update you all.

While I'm at it, I wanted to ask what there is in/around Brooklyn and NYC for game stores and the like. I've pretty much consigned myself to now missing out on a bunch of B&M deals, but I figure it'd be good to know this anyhow. Not that I'll have any disposable income from here out, haha. (i know there was a thread recently discussing just this... brooklyn based game shops... but can't find it).

Thanks for the advice

[quote name='varsitygamer']So my current career choice is demanding that I relocate to the city. I've spoken to a few friends who all suggest Brooklyn, and they've given me a few pointers here and there about how to find a place.

I'm moving down there with one friend. We both graduated from college in May, and neither one of us is too well off financially. Think middle middle class. We're prepared to split everything evenly, and looking for a 2 BR apt. We're really not averse to living somewhere other than Brooklyn so long as it's a decent neighborhood and a very quick train into Manhattan (I was told the L, N, or Q lines would take me from Brooklyn into the city pretty quickly, so we were thinking near one of those).

Yes, it's going to be crazy expensive. I understand that, and while I'm not too keen on it, I figure living in the city and making very little money after rent/food will pay off in the long run.

However, I'd still love any pointers you guys could give on actually finding a place/living in the city. I've never apartment shopped before (anywhere), so this ought to be an experience. People who live in the city, I'd love to hear from you specifically.[/quote]

There is Brooklyn, but there is also Jersey City, Hoboken, Union City, and various other cities that all offer transportation into the City. You could take the PATH from Jersey City and Hoboken. You could take the bus through Union City that go through the Holland/Lincoln tunnels.

You can also choose to live further into NJ and take the NJ Transit into NYC. Brooklyn isn't your only option on the matter, but currently it seems like the hip place to move. It's just ultra-expensive compared to some of the other options Jersey may have to offer.

[quote name='Zen Davis']There is Brooklyn, but there is also Jersey City, Hoboken, Union City, and various other cities that all offer transportation into the City. You could take the PATH from Jersey City and Hoboken. You could take the bus through Union City that go through the Holland/Lincoln tunnels.

You can also choose to live further into NJ and take the NJ Transit into NYC. Brooklyn isn't your only option on the matter, but currently it seems like the hip place to move. It's just ultra-expensive compared to some of the other options Jersey may have to offer.[/QUOTE]

Good point. The only issue with Hoboken is that it's pricey as all get out, even compared to B'klyn. Space is a premium there. Jersey City can also be hit or miss; some parts are fine, others are more than a bit sketchy. Bring a local if you're looking there.

[quote name='lockey']do you have to pay taxes in both nj & nyc?[/QUOTE]

Yes, at least partial state taxes for both will apply if you live in NJ and work in NY, and presumably the reverse.

[quote name='omgu8myrice']check queens[/QUOTE]

Also a good point. It's not as hip as Brooklyn, but there are some quality neighborhoods, and the prices are generally lower.

A final word of advice? If you choose to use a broker -- and there's no reason you should have to, considering craigslist and such -- remember that they'll give you the hard sell like there's no tomorrow; they'll put used-car salesmen to shame. Don't forget that you're the one with the money and they're working for you. If you're not comfortable with an arrangement ("I have to pay rent in cash?") or if you're unsure about the place you're looking at, don't hesitate to stick to your guns.

[quote name='Zen Davis']There is Brooklyn, but there is also Jersey City, Hoboken, Union City, and various other cities that all offer transportation into the City. You could take the PATH from Jersey City and Hoboken. You could take the bus through Union City that go through the Holland/Lincoln tunnels.[/QUOTE]

Once there, you can either head downward into the Observatory, or take the Forbidden Stairwell to the SHRINE of the Silver Monkey! The choices are yours and yours alone...good luck.

There are plenty of Gamestops in the city as well as a Toys R Us. Stick to the internet however. You'll save more money.

So what did you end up with, rent-wise and space-wise if you don't mind me asking? I'm curious what rents are going for currently.

Oh yeah, congrats!! Have fun.

bread's done
Back