Looking for an RPG...

SynGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
66 (100%)
I want a fun RPG that will last a fair amount of time, but does NOT have excessive grinding.

The Persona series has always intrigued me, but when I've attempted to play P4 and P3, I just wasn't drawn in. Granted, I also had a ton of other games at the time and simply lost interest quickly.

Ragnarok looks similar to Monster Hunter, which is good, but at the same time I suspect it lacks a story/substance.

New Little Kings Story came out of no where for me and has my interest. It looks like part micro-management, part-RPG. I never played the original and don't really know what to expect from this.

Truth be told, I am really craving some Tales of Vesperia, so something similar to that would be most excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't mind mixing history with . . . well, talking frogs and stuff, Jeanne D'Arc is one of the best RPGs I've ever played, and while you CAN grind, you don't really need to in order to finish the story. (Post-game is a different matter . . . )

The grinding in the Disgaea series really doesn't feel like grinding, and you don't need to do it to finish the story, but the story's kind of beside the point in Disagaea. (My name is POB, and I'm a Disgaea addict.)

Both of those are grid-based Japanese SRPGs, so how much you'll like them depends on your attitude toward SRPGs.

Persona 4 Golden is the way to go if a story is important. You don't really need to do any excessive grinding unless you want to go for bonus items in dungeons or want to fully level Persona to get all of its abilities.

Disgaea, especially if you like games with a good sense of humor. Skip Disgaea 2 though, unless you like really whiny characters.

Disgaea is a series that's notorious for being grind-heavy, but that's only in the post-game. The main story (~30 hours) doesn't require grinding.

[quote name='pob14']If you don't mind mixing history with . . . well, talking frogs and stuff, Jeanne D'Arc is one of the best RPGs I've ever played, and while you CAN grind, you don't really need to in order to finish the story. (Post-game is a different matter . . . )

The grinding in the Disgaea series really doesn't feel like grinding, and you don't need to do it to finish the story, but the story's kind of beside the point in Disagaea. (My name is POB, and I'm a Disgaea addict.)

Both of those are grid-based Japanese SRPGs, so how much you'll like them depends on your attitude toward SRPGs.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Josh1billion']Disgaea, especially if you like games with a good sense of humor. Skip Disgaea 2 though, unless you like really whiny characters.

Disgaea is a series that's notorious for being grind-heavy, but that's only in the post-game. The main story (~30 hours) doesn't require grinding.[/QUOTE]

I've played both of these SRPGs...but I'm not really feeling SRPGs right now.

Ragnarok Odyssey only if you like playing the same levels over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

i would say

Ragnarok tactics

if you're talking about strictly vita games, then persona 4 is going to be the way to go. though i have not played any version of little king's story to know how it plays.

if you're interested in psp games. i could go through the psp store on vita and see what they have on it.

[quote name='Derextreme']if you're talking about strictly vita games, then persona 4 is going to be the way to go. though i have not played any version of little king's story to know how it plays.

if you're interested in psp games. i could go through the psp store on vita and see what they have on it.[/QUOTE]

I'll eventually go through the PSP store but I would really like to use my Vita with Vita games right now. I'm thinking I'll give Persona 4: The Golden a chance. My problem with P4 on the PS2 is I just had no interest sitting in front of the TV for hours to play that game since it was in the bedroom, smaller TV. I'm hoping with the PS Vita, since it's portable I can play it more often which will hook me quickly.

You don't have to play it for hours at a time unless you want to. They have enough opportunities to save that you can play it in shorter chunks if that's all the time you have to commit to it.

I'd say go with Persona 4.

I couple months ago I would have said Ragnarok but after looking at reviews it looks to be a mindless grindfest (something you said you don't want).

If you are looking for something similar to Tales of the Vesperia, there's Tales of the Abyss for the 3DS (pretty fun and it's a portable game) and Tales of Graces F for the PS3.

I ended up asking the wife to get this for me for Christmas. I'm hoping she pre-orders it soon so I can get the pre-order bonuses (graphic and wallpapers).

Persona 3 Portable is fantastic and cheap on the store. Best version of 3 by far, mainly because you can actually fucking CONTROL YOUR PARTY much like in 4.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Persona 3 Portable is fantastic and cheap on the store. Best version of 3 by far, mainly because you can actually fucking CONTROL YOUR PARTY much like in 4.[/QUOTE]

Why would one want to control their party when you can have AI Mitsuru spam Marin Karin, as well as a Mind Charged Tentarafoo?!

I want that screen graphic/cover though so that it matches ;) Thank you for the link. I'll have to load those onto my Vita tonight.

bread's done
Back