Looking for cheap Wireless Bridging Solution

I use the D-Link DWL-G710. It works pretty well. I'm not sure how much it costs, though. I'd check newegg.com.

This Link shows how to make a Linksys WRT54G act like a Wireless Bridge. Since the WRT54G was on sale, I picked one up for like $35. I am currently using it to allow the Xbox 360 connect to the network to get online, but, it does not share the same Subnet mask so it does not see the other PCs on the network, so I can't do music transfer from the PC hard drive. No big deal for me, but depending on what you need to use, it could be a deal breaker for you.

The way linked above for the WRT54G isn't a true wireless bridge. However, the WRT54G can act like a true wireless bridge if you use the DD-WRT firmware. I have 3 WRT54G routers, with two of those acting as bridges with the DD-WRT firmware. With this method all 3 routers are on the same subnet.

[quote name='Troz1820']The way linked above for the WRT54G isn't a true wireless bridge. However, the WRT54G can act like a true wireless bridge if you use the DD-WRT firmware. I have 3 WRT54G routers, with two of those acting as bridges with the DD-WRT firmware. With this method all 3 routers are on the same subnet.[/QUOTE]

Sweet! Thanks!

[quote name='Troz1820']The way linked above for the WRT54G isn't a true wireless bridge. However, the WRT54G can act like a true wireless bridge if you use the DD-WRT firmware. I have 3 WRT54G routers, with two of those acting as bridges with the DD-WRT firmware. With this method all 3 routers are on the same subnet.[/QUOTE]

This is also the best solution. Just make sure you get a pre-5.0 version (get a list of serial number prefixes here, as well as other info.

You can also use HyperWRT, although getting the most recent version was a bit confusing at first. Their download page hasn't been updated for over a year, so you need to check the forums for the location of the latest HyperWRT firmwares (it has branched a bit).

bread's done
Back