Looking for deal on a Processor (Core 2 Duo)

drfunk85

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Just wondering if anyone knew of any good deals on the Core 2 Duo processor. Newegg has the cheapest one for 190, but that is still a little more than I wanted to spend. I haven't been able to find a discount code or a cheaper price anywhere else, so any help would be great.

Also, feel free to suggest a deal on a compatible motherboard. I'm not as worried about that right now though.

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='drfunk85']Just wondering if anyone knew of any good deals on the Core 2 Duo processor. Newegg has the cheapest one for 190, but that is still a little more than I wanted to spend. I haven't been able to find a discount code or a cheaper price anywhere else, so any help would be great.

Also, feel free to suggest a deal on a compatible motherboard. I'm not as worried about that right now though.

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Cheapest I found online is http://www.stalliontek.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CPC2D-E6300OEM

But the NewEgg one is more trustworthy. In my experience with online computer parts shopping, Newegg always has the cheaper stuff on products like this. Usually even with discount codes.

May I recommend AMD Processors though, because Core 2 Duo's are way overpriced. AMD dropped many prices. My suggestion is to wait and get yourself a good AMD Processor and then Upgrade to something newer then or even a better core 2 duo then the 6300. But if you have a intel mother board, then nevermind :p .

[quote name='Killhawk']Cheapest I found online is http://www.stalliontek.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CPC2D-E6300OEM

But the NewEgg one is more trustworthy. In my experience with online computer parts shopping, Newegg always has the cheaper stuff on products like this. Usually even with discount codes.

May I recommend AMD Processors though, because Core 2 Duo's are way overpriced. AMD dropped many prices. My suggestion is to wait and get yourself a good AMD Processor and then Upgrade to something newer then or even a better core 2 duo then the 6300. But if you have a intel mother board, then nevermind :p .[/QUOTE]

First of all, thats a oem processor, so no retail (3 yr) warrenty, you only get 90 days. Second, check out the sellers abysmal reseller ratings: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Stalliontek . no way I'd give them my credit card.

Anyways, C2D is the it thing right now (with good reason. You wont find below list on them (some intel processors, like the quad core kentsfield cores, are going $200-500 over list currently). Save yourself the hassels and buy a new retail e6300 at newegg. Or, wait a few months for the e6310 and e6410, which will both have 4mb L2 cache for the same prices as the current 2mb L2 e6300 and e6400. Maybe the 6300 and 6400 will go down in price by then

Thanks for the help.

Earlier I ended up going to Fry's and they had the 6300 with a pretty decent mobo for 249, so I ended up getting that. They were both retail, so I guess it's good, as I don't know if the OEM comes with fan/heatsink. The prices on newegg for the two were around 275 total, so saving 25 on pretty new tech isnt bad. I picked up a 500 gb sata drive for 139 while I was there too. Now just to find the right RAM...

bread's done
Back