Looking for electric guitar/possible w/ amp

Gojtron

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I had been watching the clearance signature guitars at Target by Washburn, but they're stuck on $100 and I have a feeling that I'm going to miss them when they finally drop to $50. Any recommendations for a starting electric? I played bass briefly, a Peavey, but wasn't great. I'd like something decent, as in not a "starter guitar" pack that's shoddy build.

You're not going to find a non-starter guitar for under $50, especially with an amp. Hell you don't find good "starter" guitars for under $200 usually. If you're going to be picky you really can't go cheap. When it comes to guitars you really do get what you pay for.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar/navigation?N=100001+703810

These are all decent name brand starter packs. Personally I'd go with an Epiphone one, but if you're looking for a good guitar AND an amp you're going to have to pay more then $50, and really more then $100.

Case in point I just spent about $750 on an Alvarez acoustic-electric and even though I love it, its only a midlevel guitar.

[quote name='Gojtron']I had been watching the clearance signature guitars at Target by Washburn, but they're stuck on $100 and I have a feeling that I'm going to miss them when they finally drop to $50. Any recommendations for a starting electric? I played bass briefly, a Peavey, but wasn't great. I'd like something decent, as in not a "starter guitar" pack that's shoddy build.[/QUOTE]

To that, I'll add that you really want to do your research. The Washburn you get in that Target pack is -not- the same type of Washburn you get when you pay real money.

I second the above, go with a $200ish starter pack from Musician's Friend. You'll get a -vastly- better setup than with a department store cheapie.

Depends on how much you're iwlling to spend of course, but those Target guitars are terrible...

At a minimum I would go for a Squire Strat pack which you can trade up from after about 6 months. I'd say stick with bass though, guitar players are a dime a dozen, if you become profecient with drums or a bass you'll have a lot more "jobs" open to you in the future. I could only find two decent bands to audition for last year with a guitar, but I had about two auditions a month with bass...

Good to know. Yeah, I know that I'd be spending more than 50, but it's spending it wisely that I wanted the help with. I'll probably be checking the local music pawn for an amp, but I don't trust the guy with guitars which is why I need the help. Considering I've tried learning keyboards twice now and given up, I wanted to start simple just in case I don't follow through.

bread's done
Back